Options

**Vancouver Fanviews here 4/02**

Comments

• Options
    nocodemannocodeman Posts: 27
    What time did Ed take the stage?
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    What kind of jokes, stories and random things did Ed talk about between the songs?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 395
    nocodeman wrote:
    What time did Ed take the stage?

8:45
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    First off before I talk about the show, I have to tell you guys be prepared when crossing the boarder. You would NOT believe how many fans they had pulled aside and harrassed. I was there approx 45 min being interrogated, when I see South of Seattle and Masterframer come in the door for their questioning. I also know innocent Mdgsolo was stopped and put through this horrific event. Lots of us stopped so be very careful, remember what you did 20 years ago, because they will pull out your sheet and ask you about it...it happened to me!

Now for the GREAT stuff!

OMG!!!! Ed definitely looked at our reqested setlist, and chose some of the songs from it. ..WOW! He messed up quite a bit on different songs and kept starting over, but to the cheers of a roaring crowd!

A select few of us rocked out to PORCH, while everyone else remained seated. There were beautiful back drops selected, and the stage was simple but meaningful. and wait til you see HARD SUN!!! Theatrical! Liam was killer also. I'd pay again to see him perform.

Can't wait for night #2 tonight.

I got pics from the preparty to post when I return...and OMG!!! Foxymop! Ed had on white jeans and a butthole surfers shirt..I'll tell you all about him mentioning licking his balls when I get back! It was a Dewey Cox moment! Holy shit, what an incredible night!!!

Beautiful theatre, beautiful people, beautiful vibes...Beautiful night, GUARANTEED!!! Of The Girl Wonder is outta here and ready to rock night #2!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    yahamita wrote:
    First off before I talk about the show, I have to tell you guys be prepared when crossing the boarder. You would NOT believe how many fans they had pulled aside and harrassed. I was there approx 45 min being interrogated, when I see South of Seattle and Masterframer come in the door for their questioning. I also know innocent Mdgsolo was stopped and put through this horrific event. Lots of us stopped so be very careful, remember what you did 20 years ago, because they will pull out your sheet and ask you about it...it happened to me!

Now for the GREAT stuff!

OMG!!!! Ed definitely looked at our reqested setlist, and chose some of the songs from it. ..WOW! He messed up quite a bit on different songs and kept starting over, but to the cheers of a roaring crowd!

A select few of us rocked out to PORCH, while everyone else remained seated. There were beautiful back drops selected, and the stage was simple but meaningful. and wait til you see HARD SUN!!! Theatrical! Liam was killer also. I'd pay again to see him perform.

Can't wait for night #2 tonight.

I got pics from the preparty to post when I return...and OMG!!! Foxymop! Ed had on white jeans and a butthole surfers shirt..I'll tell you all about him mentioning licking his balls when I get back! It was a Dewey Cox moment! Holy shit, what an incredible night!!!

Beautiful theatre, beautiful people, beautiful vibes...Beautiful night, GUARANTEED!!! Of The Girl Wonder is outta here and ready to rock night #2!

The part about the questioning really turned my stomach! What a wonderful society we are living in these days...well, I live in the Netherlands, but it is getting the same here. Why did they ask all these Q's, afraid you would throw a bomb on Ed? Afraid you were going to tape stuff?

Oh well...anyways THANKS for your description! Thanks to all of you who have described the show!! I love to read this stuff, so keep them coming.
    Have fun tonight!!!

Greetings, Francisca.
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    The whole experience was amazing. Thanks to all the jammers that set yahamita and I up before we even met you, for all the great conversation, and to genevive and james for sharing on hotel costs. And many thanks to the guy at the show that waited patiently while I found yahamita so we could look at/copy down the actual set list.

Now for the show...it was incredible. We were a bit further back (row R), dead center, and Ed was looking directly at us the whole time ;)

He first spoke about the outfit he was wearing, butthole surfers shirt that he wore at his first PJ show, and his white jeans :D He seemed very nervous to start, and some people (couldn't have been pit members) did yell out far too much and at inopportune moments. But the folks sitting around me were all great - lots of energy, joining in the singing, and truly enjoying the show, which made it a great experience for me personally.

Ed spoke about current events here in Vancouver, comparing himself to george bush - one of them can read the newspaper ;) We all know which one that is! He spoke about Tibet and calling bullshit on the Chinese story about how that there will be 'Tibetan suicide bombers' at the Olympics, and spoke about an upside-down church statue that is going to be removed at great cost to the city. By far, the funniest thing he said came from the Harold and Maude movie - something about balls ;) He was embarrassed, it was cute!

You've seen the set list elsewhere...

All in all - it was a great show, minus a few dumbasses in the crowd :) I am lucky enough to have scored tickets to show two on April Fools Day (whoo hoo!) so will update later on that show.
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    pretty hard to ad to whats been said.it was a GREAT show.and ed's guitar playing has greatly improved,and his voice was just beautifull.
    i hope you all get the same vibe when he goes south. it was a beautifull concert done by a beautifull man
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 691
    It was The Good, The Bad and The Queen. Damon Alburn and Paul Simonon's new group.

annie25 wrote:
    Help please!
    Does anyone know what album/musician was being played in the theatre before and after the show? I would realy like to get my hands on a copy...

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    LukinFan wrote:
    Walking the Cow
    Around the Bend
    I Am Mine
    Dead Man
    MOTH
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Far Behind
    Rise
    Millworker
    Goodbye
    Brokenhearted
    You're True
    Driftin
    Hide Your Love Away
    Picture In A Frame
    Trouble
    I Won't Back Down
    Forever Young

Encore 1
    Society
    Growing Up
    No More
    Porch

Encore 2
    Hard Sun

fucking sweet setlist, intimate setting, can't wait for my auction tix for Santa Cruz Saturday night, great b-day present for my brother and I.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    I posted this in the other review thread but here it is in here as well.

First off, people who get all bent out of shape about the crowd are just being meatheads themselves, like yeah it sucks and people who scream stupid shit during intimate moments are boneheads but reallly what can you do ? if you let it bother you youre just ruining the show for yourself because youre distracted cuz some idiot is bitching about security doing their job or yelling for Release or Yellow Ledbetter.

It bugs me too but I ignored it and enjoyed myself regardless, there were so many beautiful moments, Picture in a frame is an amazing cover, i teared up a little at the end of Goodbye, Porch with just Ed and an acoustic was a dream come true, Society with Liam Finn was unreal, Ed was animated and funny all night, you could tell he was seriously nervous when he screwed up Guaranteed and subsequently No Ceiling ( i believe) i could go on and on and on

also mega props to Liam Finn, the boy has music in his blood and played his guitar and drum kit like a ten year old kid on Christmas morning who just got them, so much youthful enthusiasm.

oh and DRIFTIN' WAS AMAZING!!!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Getting a chance to catch up with friends Jason , Newfie Joe, and Heather for the first time since 06 was worth the trip alone. To enjoy the company of great friends, a kick ass pre-party (THANK YOU to the organizers) , AND a once ( okay tonight makes it a twice) in a lifetime unique concert experience is almost too much for mere superlatives.

Highlights:

It's easy to say the entire evening , but so as not to be a cop out, here are a few:
    1. Porch
    2. An incredibly moving No More
    3. Hard Sun
    4. Picture in a Frame
    5.Butthole Surfers shirt
    6. Dewey Cox anecdote
    7. Liam Finn's set
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    SpeakersSpeakers Posts: 252
    I just about died when he played a line from "midget man" I couldn't believe that not many more people had seen that movie?!?

Awesome show. Loooooved Porch.

And I would guess that he will vary it up a bit show to show but keeping the ITW stuff and a few other staples. I'm sure he will play "Here's to the State" tonight.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    how long was porch approximately? did he jam in the middle or was it short and to the point?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    LongRd. wrote:
    What kind of jokes, stories and random things did Ed talk about between the songs?

Read the first 2 pages of this thread ;)

So how long did Ed play? I think I counted 24 songs. Was it about 2 hours?
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    The part about the questioning really turned my stomach! What a wonderful society we are living in these days...well, I live in the Netherlands, but it is getting the same here. Why did they ask all these Q's, afraid you would throw a bomb on Ed? Afraid you were going to tape stuff?

Oh well...anyways THANKS for your description! Thanks to all of you who have described the show!! I love to read this stuff, so keep them coming.
    Have fun tonight!!!

Greetings, Francisca.

The intense questioning happened while crossing the border into Canada, not while trying to enter the venue to see Ed play.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    Just leaving my house en route to the show tonight!! man I hope he plays Trouble again, I am a huge fan of Cat and the Harold and Maude movie. feels strange to be seeing a Vedder show before i've even seen PJ! I saw Ed once before...White River July/06 he was brought out during a Tom Petty concert. The last tune of the night was American Girl with Tom, Ed, and Stevie Nicks front row center. Eddie forgot a line and said into the microphone "i fucked up" to boisterous applause. A great night
  • Options
    gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    It's my b-day tomorrow. I'll be in SC and Berkeley!
    fucking sweet setlist, intimate setting, can't wait for my auction tix for Santa Cruz Saturday night, great b-day present for my brother and I.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Dude...this is getting me soooo pumped for the Santa Cruz and Berkeley shows!

I cannot fucking wait! Have fun again tonight!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    tbigwhooptbigwhoop Posts: 33
    I am writing this fanview on the eve of Vancouver Night #2, which I planned to attend until I lost my job this past Monday so the scalper route was not to be an option at this point. I would love to be there tonight, but I will savour the show for the rest of my life and be happy I scored tix through 10C for night 1.

TO EVERYONE ATTENDING THE REST OF THE SHOWS:

Do NOT miss Liam Finn with E.J. Barnes. Holy shit, they really kicked some ass.

Liam's snare drum got f'd up early in the gig because of how he hammered away on it and he requested help for it from stage side. The two then did a great improv loop to see if it was fixed after some repairs and they kept on rocking.

Liam should be huge in North America. He has vitalogy/vitality and his enthusiasm and passion is contagious. E.J. and him have fun up there and the crowd felt it. My wife said that he looked like ANIMAL from the Muppets just flaring away. He's fucking intense and I have to reitirate to not miss his gig.

They left with a standing ovation from Vancouver and then he walked into the aisles and up to the lobby to sign the vinyl records (with CD) that you could purchase. He was really down to earth and I really suggest you don't miss the opening act.

Eddie came out to a standing ovation and went right into Walking The Cow. He didn't speak until Man Of The Hour when he finally said "Hello" and then introduced the song as from a movie soundtrack. I assumed it was from "Into the Wild" but realized that was wrong on the first strum.

Let me rewind and say "Dead Man" was haunting and spirited as per usual.

Eddie then sped through 4 songs from ITW soundtrack and he flubbed a couple of them. They were amazing to hear live and he was very humble while playing them and finishing them to huge rounds of applause and cheers.

He mentioned a story about how this was the first time (officially, minus the Kenyon Hall experiment) that he was doing something like this playing solo and mentioned his Butthole Surfers t-shirt that he wore for his first ever gig. He brought it out of retirement for Vancouver.

As mentioned in previous posts, Eddie discussed some local and also international news - he's good like that always reading the local paper before his gigs - and mentioned the upside down Church story in Vancouver (Let God deal with it.. or something like that) and the Tibetian Monk story and also the absurdity of the newspaper story and lack of evidence...which also reminded him of a current war.

Millworker was amazing and I can't wait to find that song for my mp3 player.

Goodbye was introduced with Luke the Uke and Eddie had some witty diatribe about relationships before starting it out.

He then broke out into Brokenhearted and then introduced the lighter side of love ("at least the first two weeks" to paraphrase) and strummed into "You're True". Absolutely chilling.

"Hide Your Love Away" had the first wide singalong participation and the song got a huge cheer from the crowd upon completion. Very powerful song and Eddie's cover is fantastic.

The next four songs were so good I just got lost in them and can't remember too much.

Society with Liam Finn was cool - Liam sang backing vocals but didn't do a verse. Ed mini-flubbed on the solo but Liam kept strumming harder and Ed finished it off with ease and they gave each other "five" before Liam walked off stage to cheers.

"Growing Up" was introduced by mentioning the Boss was in town a couple of nights before and he said that he probably didn't play that song before getting into it. As mentioned in previous posts, he also mentioned that Bruce would never say, "licking balls, etc" on stage and that's why he's the Boss and Ed is the employee.

"No More" had some great crowd participation but I still think we could have been louder.

Ed then mentioned the crowd had been kind and appreciated it and then went on to say that he wasn't planning on playing the next song. He strummed the guitar hard once...then again... I immediately knew where he was going from my recollection of the Toronto gig on their Canadian tour where he did a pre-set of Porch.

The whole crowd stood up at that point never to sit down again for the rest of the show.

The final song "Hard Sun" (canadian written of course) was magical and you had to be there to see it.

Still don't know what was with them wearing white lab coats all night. Must be some inside joke I don't know about.

Easily worth the money to see the show.

I am 10C fanclub # 206xxx and last name towards end of alphabet and I was in Row K (row 14 I think??) and honestly, I'm not there to fawn over Ed - I could be in row 1 and I'd be as happy because it was great listening to that music and his voice live in a small venue. Thanks again 10C for the opportunity to grab those tickets and for a night I'll never forget.

Very little camera flashes and jeering during the set was refreshing for a change.

To everyone going in California: Clear your minds and get in there and enjoy the shows. You are in for a great treat you lucky fuckers.

I have to go find a new job now. Anyone in Vancouver hiring?

Peace
  • Options
    Just Seattle and Portland here. Point Blank and Trapped Pwned!
    Yes, I was in Seattle, Vancouver, going to Sacramento.
    Skipping San Jose to see Eddie in Santa Cruz.
    Seattle was one of the best of the tour.
  • Options
    Yay Im Excited To See Ed In Santa Barbara. Thanks For Posting Those Reviews Fellow Jammers! Really Enjoyed Them!!
    Myspace.com/vedder_78

Austin, TX 1995
    Dallas, TX 1998
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Dallas, TX 2000
    Seattle, WA 2002
    Dallas, TX 2003
    San Francisco, CA 2006
    Chicago, IL 2007 (VIC)
    Santa Barbara, CA 2008 (Ed.Ved.)
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Mansfield, MA 2008 #1
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    Yay Im Excited To See Ed In Santa Barbara. Thanks For Posting Those Reviews Fellow Jammers! Really Enjoyed Them!!
    nice post! :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Blind3 wrote:
    Getting a chance to catch up with friends[...] Newfie Joe

one of the flat out nicest mother fuckers i've ever met out at shows.
    did he say if he would be hitting any of the east coast shows?

Does he still have a big ole beard?
    Saw him in '06 he was rocking that thing. Stone stylie.

Craziest drunk skunk party freak newfie i've ever known.
    :D

Oh.
    Cool setlist for Eddie.
    Not too terribly jealous about missing out though.
    Just not my thing.

Congrats to all in attendance.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Anybody see the Porch preset at LA1 in 2006?

That's what i'm assuming it was like, and that version kicked ass. Never found an mp3 of it to this day...
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Soon Forget right now!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    No Soceity eh?
  • Options
    tbigwhoop wrote:
    Millworker was amazing and I can't wait to find that song for my mp3 player.

In Italy you can find everything you need.....You can find it here: http://www.pearljamonline.it/SongOfTheMonth/marzo2008/page.htm
    This is how I feel....

If there was a reason, it was you
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    My god, I'm a thick fucker, Society was clearly played.....that I would have loved to have seen...

sure sucks being in the Uk right now.
  • Options
    annie25 wrote:
    Help please!
    Does anyone know what album/musician was being played in the theatre before and after the show? I would realy like to get my hands on a copy...

Thanks so much!

The music between Liam & Eddie was Tom Waits "The Early Years vol 1"
  • Options
    tbigwhooptbigwhoop Posts: 33
    In Italy you can find everything you need.....You can find it here: http://www.pearljamonline.it/SongOfTheMonth/marzo2008/page.htm

Thanks very much! I love that site and forgot to look there - one of the best fansites out there.

I also love Italy - I was there last year and drank lots of wine and had lots of good cheese and managed to lose five pounds while doing so. We North Americans can learn a bit from your tried and tested lifestyle.

Ciao bella

t