Options

*** W. Palm Beach Fanviews Here 6/11/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948

awesome!

i also just heard of a sweet audience source from this show. ;)
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    T H A N K Y O U for sharing this clip!!

<3<3<3

btw...do you know if anyone got clips of

'gods'dice's, 'who you are' , 'oceans', 'low light', 'comatose', 'severed hand', 'save you', 'REARVIEWMIRROR', or any other song ?...~

..still can't believe i purchased two pj tickets and didn't get to go...~

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=2008.06.11%20Pearl%20Jam&uploaded=d
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    randymarshrandymarsh Posts: 14
    Congrats to everyone at West Palm, looks like an awesome show. I'm heading to Columbia Monday, but my schedule is cutting it a little close. Someone said PJ came on much later than KOL, around what time? I figured there's no way they make it at 8:45, I've been to too many concerts in my day. Thanks
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

Man, I didn't think it would be so awesome to hear that live again.
  • Options
    ScottZeagleScottZeagle Posts: 169
    Perhaps you haven't seen that many shows as Ed takes his smoke break during Evenflow, leaving every time as Mike always does a long solo during it. Mike always kills this opportunity with sick guitaring, never being "forced" into it at all. Ed leaves the mic, hides behind Stone or walks off to the side during every EvenFlow and has done this for years (just check any DVD).

I have seen a few shows...about 30, maybe. Yes, I realize the Ed always takes a break to grab a cig during Mikes solo - but this was an extended break, like an "Oh man, I've got to use the toilet" break...not a normal Ed break.

When the recording is released, someone can time every solo and see if I am just crazy, or correct. (insert rolling eyes here...)

Maybe there should be a thread called "How long was your Even Flow solo".

;)
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I have seen a few shows...about 30, maybe. Yes, I realize the Ed always takes a break to grab a cig during Mikes solo - but this was an extended break, like an "Oh man, I've got to use the toilet" break...not a normal Ed break.

When the recording is released, someone can time every solo and see if I am just crazy, or correct. (insert rolling eyes here...)

Maybe there should be a thread called "How long was your Even Flow solo".

;)

LOL! now that you mention it, he did run out of the stage quite fast, as in a hurry, as soon as he could...
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    pearljamnewfpearljamnewf Posts: 204

Yesssss. That is solid! wow.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Juli, congratulations on your first show!!

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    OK guys, this should work.

Pearl Jam
    6-11-08
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Cruzan Amphitheatre

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q095Z750

1. Who You Are
    2. Why Go
    3. Sad
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Thanks MattyJoe!

and here's Save You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uon3wvgbf98
    Rom
    10c 116XXX
  • Options
    (I guess this would be my official fanview).

My first PJ show. So this will be a looong one, ha.

I got to the amphitheater at around 4:00 pm to get my tickets. I was planning on being there at around 2:30 pm, but I couldn't make it. I went and got the tickets, there were a couple of Dutch guys in front of us I believe, the guy on the ticket window was congratulating them on the 3-0 Euro Cup win against Italy, haha. It was finally my turn and I was crossing my fingers for a lottery win, being my first show and all, it would have been a gift from the Gods. I got the tickets, and it turned out I hadn't won the lottery. Bummer, I thought. My tickets read Section 7 row H...which just read to me as: Section Far Away, row crappy. But later I would find out it wasn't so! :)

It all started around...4:30 pm was it? when I finally got to Connolly's, the bar where the pre-party and Wishlist fundraiser was taking place. I got there later than planned, but I got there. God still had a hangover it seemed, as Ed would mention that night, and the weather in West Palm was grey and wet, with the heat and humidity not helping anyone at all. I arrived at Connolly's with my sister and a couple of friends and found a place replete with Pearl Jam fans. I started looking around to see if I seemed to recognize a face, and soon enough I found Ursula! (Mrs_Vedder78). Then I also met SPALMA! and Keith (ajedigecko?), Clinton (stoneg) and his wife. The event seemed to be a total success (good job Kevin aka twolegsyield!). I won a Bud Light chair at the raffle! haha :p though I don't think it was my luck, I think it was from one of the tickets Spalma or Keith gave me when they left (thanks guys). Then my friends and sister left to order a pizza, one of my friends (Flavia) who wasn't going to the show left, and then my buddy Roberto, my sister and I finally made our way to the venue parking lot to eat a slice of pizza in a hurry and run to get posters as soon as possible, because, you know, rumor is they sell out!

That was the first part of my PJ experience and I'm including it because it was great being able to meet other Pearl Jam fans, specially people from the Message Pit I've talked with in the past. I was impressed by how warm, friendly and just all around great people everyone was. I was really touched by it, and the fact that the "Jamily" or Pearl Jam community truly exists! It is a tight group. I don't think there is another band that has such a fantastic, caring group of fans.

Now, back to the "story..." I walk to the venue entrance with my sister and proceed to stand in line, the venue guy tells people they can't come in with their poster tubes, so I have to throw mine away. We make it in and ruuuuuun to the merch stand and I finally get a poster and one of the baby blue t-shirts. Next we go check out our seats...Section 7, row H, seats 9 & 10. Not bad, we realize. It was the first row, centerish of the second tier of seats, with only the coorporate/VIP tables in front of us. Great view! We just hanged out there for a few minutes, then I saw some friends and went to say hi, walked around for a little bit and came back to our seats. We were in our seats since about 6 something, when everything was almost empty. I wonder if it was us and those other few people on the "edge" of the second tier Eddie was talking about before Lowlight? could have been. We entertained ourselves reading the silly things people would text to those screens Verizon had set up on both sides of the stage, and watching a tech guy with a Ramones shirt getting the guitars ready.

Not long after that, Kings of Leon took the stage. I had heard of the band before, but I had NEVER heard any of their music. I was pleasantly surprised! I think it's the first time I like an opening band I haven't heard material from so much as to want to get their albums! They rocked hard and kicked some serious arse!

It was getting closer. Kings of Leon had finished their set, and we knew Pearl Jam was going to take the stage soon. We watched the amphitheater fill up slowly, until it was pretty much at full capacity. Looking back you could see the lawn filled up with people to the back fence. Then it happened. Around 9:00 pm the lights went out, and a feeling of anticipation took over me, butterflies in my stomach, my knees were weak...everything. I have been to a lot of concerts, but I have NEVER felt that way before.
    The crowd cheered loudly, as the band took the stage. Shortly after I hear a "one, two, three..." and what it seemed like a false start to Oceans, and then surely after another "1, 2, 3" and a beautiful, perfect version of Oceans opened up the night. Then they moved on to Severed Hand. Then Save You and God's Dice, which I totally rocked out to. Given to Fly came on, and I thought of my dad, who followed my lead and became a huge PJ fan, but couldn't make it to the show, and this is one of his favorite songs, so we recorded it for him.
    Then, perhaps what was the peak of the night for me: Faithful was next. I looked at my sister in disbelief when I started to hear the first notes...Faithful? no...it couldn't be, it is one of my favorite songs! yes, one of my first favorites, the one I would play from my Yield cd over and over again, the one I had watched on the Live at the Garden DVD (and before that, DirectTV broadcast) when I was just getting into the band. One of the songs that changed my life. One of the reasons I was there. And then it hit me: the realization that I was finally at a Pearl Jam concert. All those years waiting and wishing and singing along to the cd's and dvd's, and I was finally witnessing it myself. That "holy shit! I'm at a Pearl Jam concert!" realization, and the fact that on top of that they were playing FAITHFUL, brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joys, tears of disbelief, tears of relief, tears of a wish come true, tears of a mission accomplished! Tears that I tried with all my might not to let slide through my face because I was a bit embarrassed of it, because they made me feel like such a n00b and little fangirl, haha. But, it didn't matter. It was all there, and I was finally feeling it.
    Song after song I was pleasantly surprised over and over. Like I wasn't expecting them to play any of them. I was very glad to hear Grievance, also glad to have the opportunity to rock out to Do the Evo (I was really afraid of them not playing it, it is one song I just HAD to witness live) and RVM. And of course, WHO YOU FREAKING ARE!!! :) and Sad, and Dissident, and yes, even EVENFLOW and Mike soloing his heart out, and well, everything!
    Then eventually...all the lights turned on and Yellow Ledbetter was playing. Which left me a bit shocked...no RITFW? no Baba? no Sonic Reducer? no tambourine-throwing? what? haha. But it had been a great show, and I was pleased with the setlist, perhaps I would've traded some songs like Gone for something else :p but overall it was amazing. And I think that was the most energetic crowd I have seen yet in that amphitheater! The energy was great, compared to other bands' shows.
    So, the band said goodbye, lights turned on and everyone started leaving the place. I hurried to the merch stand to get my poster, saw Urs, Clinton and his wife again and said goodbye, and then my sister decided she liked the show so much that she wanted a poster as well...but she hadn't ordered one when we came in. Stubborn as she is, she stayed by the merch stand with a few other people to try to get a poster. Apparently they either had a few extra ones or there were unclaimed ones and they finally gave in and sold them to the few there.
    Then we just met with our friend and headed home. My friend gave me a Verizon PJ poster that apparently they were giving out at the exit of the venue.

Overall, it was an AMAZING experience. From the fan get-together to the show itself. It was a fantastic first show and de-virginization experience, haha.
    I have been to a lot of concerts and I can safely say this was the best experience. The only one maybe close to it was The Who at the Bank Atlantic Center, or Guns N' Roses (well, Axl and the new band) at the Bank Atlantic Center as well. Those shows were great, but Pearl Jam was just out of this world.
    I have never felt that way at any other concert. I was made aware and reminded of the fact that Pearl Jam is and will probably always be, my favorite band.

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    Very cool review Pearl_Juli! Nothing like reading a fan's first live experience seeing PJ. I can still remember mine from more then twelve years ago like it was yesterday. You never forget.

and this is for your dad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzg6SEsn6g
    Rom
    10c 116XXX
  • Options
    Very cool review Pearl_Juli! Nothing like reading a fan's first live experience seeing PJ. I can still remember mine from more then twelve years ago like it was yesterday. You never forget.

and this is for your dad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzg6SEsn6g

Thank you!!! :D

He'll love it :)

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    I keep looking in my iTunes hoping that the bootleg is already there :(
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    What's all the stuff about FL shows? Are we not considered good enough fans because we're from the SE instead of the NW?? I've not been fortunate enough to see PJ as many times as many of you from what I see here (only seen them 3x including wed's show in WPB) but I consider myself a huge fan and the shows i've been to have all been great from both the band and the fans there. i think we were all very pumped in WPB because for those of us who work for a living etc this was the first time we got a chance to see PJ since the VFC tour in 2004.
    Whoever said EV flubbed the lyrics to Alive was wrong, I noticed when he stopped singing he had a wtf look on his face and was tapping his ear piece, Ed couldn't hear himself abd/or the band mixed and he lost his place in the song, it was still amazing!
    my only complaint has nothing to do w/ PJ, i thought the amphitheatre treated us like common criminals as well as 3rd graders w/ the single file boy/girl pat down entry...this was the very last crowd they needed to worry about weapons or violence with.
  • Options
    Whoever said EV flubbed the lyrics to Alive was wrong, I noticed when he stopped singing he had a wtf look on his face and was tapping his ear piece, Ed couldn't hear himself abd/or the band mixed and he lost his place in the song, it was still amazing!

He did flub the lyrics. He sang the end of the second verse during the first verse. I suggest you watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iCOI5sER1o

It happens at 00:48.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Was Master/ Slave played before they came on??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options

I think it is funny how a few people can be in the same place at the same time, watching the exact same guy and have two totally different opinions on what happened.

Human beings....gotta love 'em.
  • Options
    Was Master/ Slave played before they came on??

I don't recall it being played either night...
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    I don't recall it being played either night...

Ah, thats a pity. I loved when they had it playing.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    it was a greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat showwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

WHO YOU AREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

GODSDICEEEEEEEEEE

People maybe a little quiet, my 410xxxx give me a section 6 row m, not happy at all.
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    i think we were all very pumped in WPB because for those of us who work for a living etc this was the first time we got a chance to see PJ since the VFC tour in 2004.

I'm not quite sure what you meant "for those us who work for a living" ... I work for a living and so does my husband and WPB and Tampa were # 49 and 50 shows for me.... it's all about saving... you should try that and maybe you'll see them more often :rolleyes:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    I know this song has been posted before, but this is mine :)
    With some really, really good audio too. Thanks V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulKLVwzE1U
    Rom
    10c 116XXX
  • Options
    I know this song has been posted before, but this is mine :)
    With some really, really good audio too. Thanks V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulKLVwzE1U

and it has been added to my little playlist. Your videos are amazing! :)

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    erik768erik768 Decatur, GA Posts: 117
    Started the day at the beach and finished it at the PJ concert. Perfect day other then the weather. Highlights for me was seeing Oceans, Faithful, and Who You Are for the first time live. The bands energy level was through the roof for the entire show and the crowd near me in section 3 really seemed to be into the show.
    PJ
    2003 Tampa 2004 Kissimmee 2007 Chicago 2008 West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia 2009 Toronto, Chicago 1-2, Philadelphia 3-4 2010 New Orleans 2011 PJ20/East Troy 1-2 2012 Atlanta 2013 Baltimore 2016 Miami, Greenville 2018 Boston 1 2020 St. Louis 2022 Nashville, St. Louis 2023 Noblesville, Austin 1-2 2024 Chicago 1-2
    EV
    2009 Atlanta 1-2 2012 Jacksonville
  • Options
    PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
    I still can't believe we got Who You Are, it's pretty mind boggling...the past few ours these guys have been pulling out things I never thought I'd hear.

The set list was amazing, the band was ON, but the crowd, not so much, there were pockets of people who were right there with the band but as a whole the crowd just wasn't into it.

I don't think I've ever been to a show where ed had to repeatedly encourage people to sing along.

Maybe it was the heat and humidity we were all covered in sweat by the 2nd song.

I loved oceans as the opener!
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I still can't believe we got Who You Are, it's pretty mind boggling...the past few ours these guys have been pulling out things I never thought I'd hear.

The set list was amazing, the band was ON, but the crowd, not so much, there were pockets of people who were right there with the band but as a whole the crowd just wasn't into it.

I don't think I've ever been to a show where ed had to repeatedly encourage people to sing along.

Maybe it was the heat and humidity we were all covered in sweat by the 2nd song.

From where i sat that ENTIRE place was giving them their all... the crowd even drowned ed out a few times.. The west palm crowd was the loudest ive ever heard in an outdoors venue.

God's Dice, Who You Are... ah, whats a girl to even say :)

Lets just put it this way,

Blew out my leg muscles, limped around the entire day afterwards but thats a sure sign of a damn good show :) I was shocked with the turn out in Florida.. Both crowds were also super respectful. Everyone kept their cool and made it fun for everyone around them.

I think i need to do a fanview of the crowd rather than pearl jam's set :D
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    From where i sat that ENTIRE place was giving them their all... the crowd even drowned ed out a few times.. The west palm crowd was the loudest ive ever heard in an outdoors venue.

God's Dice, Who You Are... ah, whats a girl to even say :)

Lets just put it this way,

Blew out my leg muscles, limped around the entire day afterwards but thats a sure sign of a damn good show :) I was shocked with the turn out in Florida.. Both crowds were also super respectful. Everyone kept their cool and made it fun for everyone around them.

I think i need to do a fanview of the crowd rather than pearl jam's set :D
    yea word..for florida who doesnt know shit about rock n roll and is completely lackin in that scene the turnout was incredible...lawn filled to the very very end, and lookin back seemed like EVERYONE was into it and singalongs sounded pretty loud to me so...and like I said b4 this is coming from someone who's criticized the floridians for knowing nothing but hip hop and club music.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

I have to agree....

maybe it was the heat? :confused:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV