what are you doing, right now?

Comments

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Trying to find some face masks, not that easy to do.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited July 2020
    bluegrace said:
    Trying to find some face masks, not that easy to do.
    I don't know where you live, but Target had 2 packs for $4 with a limit of 5 packs yesterday in Northeast Ohio. (Fabric)

Disposables were at Staples. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    About to grade a batch of papers for a summer graduate school course I am teaching online. The grad student's papers are usually well written and pretty interesting compared to some of my undergrad students, but I am still so unmotivated to start reading them. I am expected to give detailed feedback. Here I go!! 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:
    About to grade a batch of papers for a summer graduate school course I am teaching online. The grad student's papers are usually well written and pretty interesting compared to some of my undergrad students, but I am still so unmotivated to start reading them. I am expected to give detailed feedback. Here I go!! 
    Now I know where to send all of my old grad school papers for a second opinion.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    GlowGirl said:
    Good luck!  I hope they’re both interesting and entertaining.  May I ask, what do you teach?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    GlowGirl said:
    Good luck!  I hope they’re both interesting and entertaining.  May I ask, what do you teach?
    They were interesting. I just wasn't in the mood. But got them done, and final grades submitted today. Woohoo.

I am an anthropology professor. However, the graduate class is in the criminal justice department. It was a class on Juvenile Crime and Delinquency. So, it was a very interesting topic. It is the one graduate level class I teach every semester. All the others are undergrad anthropology courses - also interesting. I teach summer classes as well, but load them up in the beginning of the summer, so I have a very easy August before the semester starts back up in September.

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    They were interesting. I just wasn't in the mood. But got them done, and final grades submitted today. Woohoo.

I am an anthropology professor. However, the graduate class is in the criminal justice department. It was a class on Juvenile Crime and Delinquency. So, it was a very interesting topic. It is the one graduate level class I teach every semester. All the others are undergrad anthropology courses - also interesting. I teach summer classes as well, but load them up in the beginning of the summer, so I have a very easy August before the semester starts back up in September.

Sounds very interesting.  Do you examine juvenile crime and delinquency through an anthropological lens?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Both sound fascinating!  For a very brief period I majored in Criminal Psychology but my life ended up taking a different path.
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Both sound fascinating!  For a very brief period I majored in Criminal Psychology but my life ended up taking a different path.
    Yeah it does sound interesting @glowgirl whenever someone mentions anthropology I just think of Margaret Mead. I bet you have one if those jobs where you get to go on sabbatical..
    @hedonist why what do you do now?
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Sounds very interesting.  Do you examine juvenile crime and delinquency through an anthropological lens?
    For some of the class, we do. We discuss the various social and cultural theories that may lead to juvenile crime. But some of the class is also looking at criminal justice theory, practical ways to address juvenile crime, etc. It is a very interesting issue with a lot of different facets.

hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Yeah it does sound interesting @glowgirl whenever someone mentions anthropology I just think of Margaret Mead. I bet you have one if those jobs where you get to go on sabbatical..
    @hedonist why what do you do now?
    Margaret Mead is a weel-known anthropologist. There has been some debate in recent years on the validity of her study. Some feel that her methods were flawed and that some of her research subjects in Samoa lied to her. But, she is one of the more well-known anthropologists among people that are not in the field.
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

And which path was that, if I may ask?

GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Well, you two...I ended up having a great opportunity with a big retailer (and became their youngest-ever manager at 21!).  After the inevitable burnout, I worked for retail developers - one huge, the other family-owned; both very successful.

Now, I can't work anymore because of my health.  I miss that sense of productivity, but it's had its side benefits too.
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Well, you two...I ended up having a great opportunity with a big retailer (and became their youngest-ever manager at 21!).  After the inevitable burnout, I worked for retail developers - one huge, the other family-owned; both very successful.

Now, I can't work anymore because of my health.  I miss that sense of productivity, but it's had its side benefits too.
    That is amazing that you got your professional start so young. It sounds like you have had some interesting career paths. I totally understand burnout. For a while I worked in advertising. It was so stressful. When I finally left that job, I made the decision to go back to grad school and study anthropology - which I loved. I have never looked back. Sometimes, our paths just take those twists and turns. I am sorry about your health issues, but it is great that you are seeing the benefits as well. Glass half full and all that!!

GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

That is amazing that you got your professional start so young. It sounds like you have had some interesting career paths. I totally understand burnout. For a while I worked in advertising. It was so stressful. When I finally left that job, I made the decision to go back to grad school and study anthropology - which I loved. I have never looked back. Sometimes, our paths just take those twists and turns. I am sorry about your health issues, but it is great that you are seeing the benefits as well. Glass half full and all that!!

The irony is, I sometimes wish that glass were half full of brandy :rofl:

My cousin studied law at UCLA.  Just prior to taking the bar, he realized it the profession  wasn’t him and pursued gemology instead. He’s had a fruitful estate jewelry business for more than thirty years now.

So yeah, you never know! Always best to follow your gut and your heart. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Watching the replay of Chiefs at Broncos in 2018 and listening to Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music vol. 2.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Going through pictures for a tribute video my husband is making and I found this-- levitating baby! 

We were at a hotel and M was bouncing K off the mattress, causing her to laugh hilariously. Mama armed with a camera, I got a hovering K shot. :smiley:
    Flying baby K!

Me, enjoying the proverbial calm before the potential storm rainfall.  Just smoking a bowl and digging on this dude.
    https://youtu.be/IeK5ZTMUkzw

We're waiting for rain. I zizzed over the couple of tall weeds in the front yard with the weed eater. Otherwise, it's stressed out and there is no need to mow. 95F today. Probably the same tomorrow. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,060
    edited August 2020
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    Watching NBA, Nets vs Bucks and eating Kinder eggs..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Watching the Preds take it to the Coyotes
    Contemplating. 
    hedonist said:
    Contemplating. 
    Hmmm . . . 
    Watching hockey  :)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,395
    Watching the Angels/Mariners......so glad to have baseball back!
    Procrastinating starting work.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    edited August 2020
    Watching this poor teacher trying to coordinate a zoom meeting with a bunch of kids. It’s not going well and I really feel for her. 

They look like that Progressive commercial :lol:
    Post edited by RogueStoner on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Watching this poor teacher trying to coordinate a zoom meeting with a bunch of kids. It’s not going well and I really feel for her. 

We’re not even going to bother. We saw enough in the spring. 

Homeschool (if we can afford for me to quit my job) or gap year for our kids. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    dankind said:

We’re not even going to bother. We saw enough in the spring. 

Homeschool (if we can afford for me to quit my job) or gap year for our kids. 
    I don’t blame you. Even with a gap year I bet they’ll learn way more.