Shoes on or shoes off?

Comments

• conman wrote:
    i guess i'm the weirdo :?

You said it :P
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I almost always wear shoes. I'm just more comfortable in shoes now. Of course they are good comfy shoes. ;) I didn't grow up that way, as I grew up in a hot climate so didn't wear them much, but now living in PNW it's just more practical and I actually miss not having shoes on! I also don't stub my toes, have dogs stepping on them or hurt myself either! :lol: It depends on the part of the country you live in for sure. In Alaska everyone takes their shoes off going into a house due to the red dirt and same goes for Utah. In SoCal and other southern parts too hot to wear them. Then there are people like my husband who wears birks with socks...the PNW style... :mrgreen:
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • wolfbear wrote:
    I almost always wear shoes. I'm just more comfortable in shoes now. Of course they are good comfy shoes. ;) I didn't grow up that way, as I grew up in a hot climate so didn't wear them much, but now living in PNW it's just more practical and I actually miss not having shoes on! I also don't stub my toes, have dogs stepping on them or hurt myself either! :lol: It depends on the part of the country you live in for sure. In Alaska everyone takes their shoes off going into a house due to the red dirt and same goes for Utah. In SoCal and other southern parts too hot to wear them. Then there are people like my husband who wears birks with socks...the PNW style... :mrgreen:

I think it does depend on where you live. In Canada you can't be tracking snow in. :lol:

Growing up though, my grandparents lived in an old country house and we always wore shoes because the floors were so cold. Well I mean maybe not in summer but I am pretty sure we did??? :? I know I never went there without slippers.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    conman wrote:
    i guess i'm the weirdo :?

No, I agree with you. I never take shoes off in someone's home unless I see that their shoes (or guests) are by the front door. If not, I keep them on and have never been been asked to take them off. Even when I go to some of my best friend's house to chill I usually don't take them off....maybe after a couple of hours or something. At home, I usually take them off when I get in to relax..but sometimes I just leave them on.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited October 2011
    I love shoes! So, the only time I don't wear them is when I am sleeping or walking on a beach.

Oh, and I guess showering, too. :lol:

I forgot swimming. I guess I'm shoeless, more than I think. :P

p.s. My dad used to say this when I was growing up ~ "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet."

Another shoe-related quote ~ "Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    They're the first thing to go when I'm in the house. Then it's sox on carpet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    What about slippers - aren't slippers worn anywhere othe than the UK. I like the fluffy ankle boot kind for the winter, don't really need them so much in the summer.
  • There's no "tradition" whatsoever to take the shoes off here... It's actually impolite unless you're at familys or very very close friends house (or have a very good reason to do it, like your shoes are hurting you or something)...
    At my own house, I usually take the shoes off as soon as I get in, but just because I'm more comfortable that way (and of course, it helps keep the floor clean).
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    off....helps keep the carpets cleaner longer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Claireack wrote:
    What about slippers - aren't slippers worn anywhere othe than the UK. I like the fluffy ankle boot kind for the winter, don't really need them so much in the summer.

gf wears slippers..my, i just go with socks or barefoot
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    And yes, conman, you are weird. I've heard the stories ;):mrgreen: [/color]

don't feel bad conman, i've heard teh stories on fifth....i'll pm you the details :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    DS1119 wrote:
    As a kid my family always took our shoes off before entering the house. We also took our shoes off when we were visiting anyone else's home. I do this now. So I ask...shoes on or shoes off?

shoes on...

and bathroom door open...
    here in the South the local kids would always
    close the bathroom door when they were finished using it

hard to tell if it is occupied that way :? not our custom
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I always have 1 sandle, for it it s sign --- follow the sandle
    Let us, like Him, hold up one shoe and let the other be upon our foot, for this is His sign, that all who follow Him shall do likewise.

Cast off...

...the shoes! Follow the Gourd!

Follow the Gourd! The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem!
    #FHP
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104
    shoes off..and shirts too
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I am always barefoot indoors unless it is REALLY cold.

I don't mind either way in my house,no rules,but my niece and nephews always take off their shoes when they visit me.
    I used to visit friends who always insisted shoes came off and they gave us slippers to wear.It used to annoy me that they were so insistent and I never liked the thought of sharing slippers with all their range of visitors :?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I hate shoes...and socks.

I kick my sandals off when I walk in the house. Like 81 said, it keeps the carpet cleaner...less vacuuming.

At friends' houses I follow whatever their rules dictate, though if they want my shoes off, I should probably carry socks around with me...I'm weird about being barefoot in other peoples' houses.

Conman...do you wear your backpack around in the house too? ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Conman...do you wear your backpack around in the house too? ;)
    you mean my fucking awesome pj20 backpack?? yes i do!

don't tell me i'm the only one who does that too :geek:

:P
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    OK, it's time to come clean.

I always wear shoes in the house -- my PJ Vans. I fact, I wear 2 pairs, because I put the high tops on over the slip-ons. I also carry around my white vinyl Backspacer inside my PJ20 backpack at all times.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i like shoes and i like socks. nice good shoes with some good nice socks, set. i am not barefoot very long after im dressed unless i haven't been outside, maybe im writing, staying in @ the desk with shorts and a torn to pieces t shirt, which i do love

boots... my bestest friend in the whole wide world.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    JTH wrote:

I always wear shoes in the house -- my PJ Vans. I fact, I wear 2 pairs, because I put the high tops on over the slip-ons. I also carry around my white vinyl Backspacer inside my PJ20 backpack at all times.

I thought you wore your PJ hoodie over your PJ shirt too...don't you wear the PJ socks under your slip on/hi-top combo too? Oh and don't forget your beanie! Your keys are accompanied by the keychain too right? :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I was taught to take off my shoes when I get home. I make sure my kids do the same thing.

go barefoot, socks, "slippers", flip flops - anything BUT the shoes you wore outside... :)

When I visit family/friends I do the same thing - take off my shoes and change into something else or go barefoot - unless my friends say - "leave your shoes on !! " :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JTH wrote:

I thought you wore your PJ hoodie over your PJ shirt too...don't you wear the PJ socks under your slip on/hi-top combo too? Oh and don't forget your beanie! Your keys are accompanied by the keychain too right? :lol:
    Please.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course the answer is yes to all of that.

Man, I'm thirsty. Good thing my trusty PJ water bottle is in my backpack. There it is right next to my EV Zippo, which will come in handy when I need to light the grill to cook dinner. Oh, but first I need to run out and grab a few things at the store so I'd better grab my PJ tote bag to put the groceries in. Ooh, the sun's still out? Gotta wear my PJ baseball cap over the beanie.

Yes, I actually own all of the additional items I just listed.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Always barefoot in the house.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • My shoes are always on. I put them on as soon as I get dressed in the morning and don't take them off until I lay down for bed at night. My wife thinks it's so odd that I always want to have my shoes on. She's bought me sandals and house shoes to try to at least get me out of my gym shoes while in the house but it's never worked. Even if we go to the pool over the summer and the wife and kids put their flip flops on I will still wear my gym shoes.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    If I'm visiting someone else, I take my shoes off unless they say it's OK to wear them inside.
    At my place, anything goes. I'm wearing my dirty shoes right now. :?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

lol, I knew what that was gonna be before I even opened the link. Great flick!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I have 4 sons and dog(s) My sons have dozens of friends who have basically grown up here....shoes on! I don't have time to vacuum 24/7 I have a life....so if you don't want dirty socks....keep your shoes on! :lol:
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Shoes off, pants optional.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Shoes off, pants optional.

:lol:
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I tend to leave my shoes on for most of the time - after a couple of hours being back in my own house I might think to take them off for the rest of the evening. I have no problem with treading mud into other people's carpets.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878