Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    I hate the shootout, but I love 3 on 3 overtime. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,952
    I hate the shootout, but I love 3 on 3 overtime. 
    yeah i agree.

Congrats to Tampa Bay on another Stanley Cup victory

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    The left wing lock that the Devils were able to play in the 90s was an abomination.  Totally killed the game.  Then you had goalies able to play the puck anywhere, killing the forecheck game.  Sucked. 
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Maybe enforce equipment size on goalies?
    Garth Snow was ginormous lol
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    pjhawks said:
    I’ll  take a pass on the World Cup of Hockey if it includes the gimmicks…it has to be nation vs nation … 

but this is the same league that has embraced gimmicks like 3 on 3 ot and shootouts…

I have very little faith in this league doing anything right.

Everything Bettman has done has cheapened the nhl…
    I think Bettman gets a raw deal mostly because he is a bit weird looking and awkward.  The NHL game today is 1000x better than it was in the 1990s.  The game is more wide open today. Lot less clutching and grabbing and bullshit interference. The game in the 1990s was terrible.  Calling rules as they are written, new rules like no 2-line pass, faster face-offs, no touch up icing, no defensive changes after icing just to name a few.  Bettman is a bit of a clown but the game under his watch has gotten better. Yea it sucks that there are teams in shitty markets but that's how you build the profile of the game. One of the best players in the game was born in Arizona. Think that happens without hockey in Arizona?  What changes would you make with how the game is played or how the game is managed today?
    Most of those changes you mention were brought over from Europe.  The fast faceoff has gone the way of the dodo bird...

I'd eliminate the dumb delay a game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass...quite embarrassing watching millionaires point to the glass looking for a 2-minute penalty and doesn't speed up the game because more times than not the 4 officials have to get together and discuss.

I've never been a fan of not being able to change after an icing...game 6 Montreal v Vegas in OT, Montreal shot the puck down the ice and the puck glanced off the Vegas goalie and ended up in the corner...somehow 4 officials (the greatest in the world according to Bettman) missed this and awarded Vegas an icing that almost cost Montreal the game...

I would award 3 points for a win, 2 points for an OT win, and 1 point each for a tie...I'd scrap 3 on 3 and the shootout...too often during the regular season teams that are tied with 5 to go just play for the extra point...and this playoff season is more than proof enough that when the game is on the line goal-scoring happens quickly...there never should be a participation point awarded (loss).  This is proffesional sports...not high school track and field where they award ribbons just for getting there on time...hehehe

The instigator rule would be gone.  The rule came into effect in the early '90s.   The league refuses to protect its stars and instead allows goonery towards the stars.  Gretzky had Semenko and McSorley, Yzerman had Probert and Kocur...no one was fucking with Yzerman and Gretzky...

I don't know about you, but I'd rather take a punch to the head than somebody retaliating with an elbow to head...if you don't believe me...next time you are at a sporting goods store, check out the body armour these guys suit up with today...

Shit when I played, the equipment I had would not cause damage to an opponent...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    The left wing lock that the Devils were able to play in the 90s was an abomination.  Totally killed the game.  Then you had goalies able to play the puck anywhere, killing the forecheck game.  Sucked. 
    That was another European import...I hated it as well.  Detroit played it and was a very exciting team... the difference is Detroit had scorers and NJ was more defensive-minded...

Most teams use a version of it today...sometimes just when they have a lead and want to shut teams down...

Goal scoring will remain the way it is until Bettman stops allowing the stars to be mauled by guys that should be in the AHL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    According to Elliot Friedman from Sportsnet the NHL will be at the Olympics…he figures there will be contingencies in place to not go if Covid prevents them from going.  The players are willing to assume the risk and go with no insurance…

I personally don’t care…but part of the extension of CBA was Olympic participation…and the players want to go…and I suspect most hockey fans want the nhl to participate…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    I disagree on the delay of game penalty needing to go.  Having defensemen flip the puck out of play is bullshit.  If this rule went it would happen all of the time.
    I also think you should for sure not be able to change lines after icing the puck.

I don't like that they killed the two line pass call but know most people liked that change 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Do agree they need to allow fighting to deter the chippy bullshit and to protect their stars.
  • Options
    I disagree on the delay of game penalty needing to go.  Having defensemen flip the puck out of play is bullshit.  If this rule went it would happen all of the time.
    I also think you should for sure not be able to change lines after icing the puck.

I don't like that they killed the two line pass call but know most people liked that change 
    I'm also very supportive of the delay of game and the icing rule.  Otherwise you would just have more whistles which we don't need.  Plus, a nice PP is always welcomed, so a non contact PP is great. 

Two line pass sucked, I'm sorry.  There's nothing more exciting than a breakaway in hockey.  It flips the game in an instant.  Plus, when the other team is down, so pinching their d, you can punish them with that play.  Can't do it with the two line rule.  Combine that with the left wing lock or any strategy to clog the neutral zone and the game deadens. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I know most people loved "opening the game up" but there were plenty of breakaways and exciting plays in the NHL between whenever we first started watching and 2005, when they decided to allow 2 line passes.  
    I'm ok not having the popular opinion.  ;)

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    pjhawks said:
    I’ll  take a pass on the World Cup of Hockey if it includes the gimmicks…it has to be nation vs nation … 

but this is the same league that has embraced gimmicks like 3 on 3 ot and shootouts…

I think Bettman gets a raw deal mostly because he is a bit weird looking and awkward.  The NHL game today is 1000x better than it was in the 1990s.  The game is more wide open today. Lot less clutching and grabbing and bullshit interference. The game in the 1990s was terrible.  Calling rules as they are written, new rules like no 2-line pass, faster face-offs, no touch up icing, no defensive changes after icing just to name a few.  Bettman is a bit of a clown but the game under his watch has gotten better. Yea it sucks that there are teams in shitty markets but that's how you build the profile of the game. One of the best players in the game was born in Arizona. Think that happens without hockey in Arizona?  What changes would you make with how the game is played or how the game is managed today?
    Most of those changes you mention were brought over from Europe.  The fast faceoff has gone the way of the dodo bird...

I'd eliminate the dumb delay a game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass...quite embarrassing watching millionaires point to the glass looking for a 2-minute penalty and doesn't speed up the game because more times than not the 4 officials have to get together and discuss.

I've never been a fan of not being able to change after an icing...game 6 Montreal v Vegas in OT, Montreal shot the puck down the ice and the puck glanced off the Vegas goalie and ended up in the corner...somehow 4 officials (the greatest in the world according to Bettman) missed this and awarded Vegas an icing that almost cost Montreal the game...

I would award 3 points for a win, 2 points for an OT win, and 1 point each for a tie...I'd scrap 3 on 3 and the shootout...too often during the regular season teams that are tied with 5 to go just play for the extra point...and this playoff season is more than proof enough that when the game is on the line goal-scoring happens quickly...there never should be a participation point awarded (loss).  This is proffesional sports...not high school track and field where they award ribbons just for getting there on time...hehehe

The instigator rule would be gone.  The rule came into effect in the early '90s.   The league refuses to protect its stars and instead allows goonery towards the stars.  Gretzky had Semenko and McSorley, Yzerman had Probert and Kocur...no one was fucking with Yzerman and Gretzky...

I don't know about you, but I'd rather take a punch to the head than somebody retaliating with an elbow to head...if you don't believe me...next time you are at a sporting goods store, check out the body armour these guys suit up with today...

Shit when I played, the equipment I had would not cause damage to an opponent...

The only thing I agree with you on is that the points for wins change. A regulation win should get more than an overtime or shootout win.

I still can’t believe there are people who still argue for fighting. One of the reasons the game is better today is because 3rd and 4th line players actually have some ability. No more goons who couldn’t play a lick filling out rosters.  As s Flyers fan I watched an awful of those and they brought no value to the game
  • Options
    The other great rule change is the offside tag up.  Really improved game flow.  Getting 5, 6, 7 minutes of uninterrupted hockey is common now.  Love it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    The other great rule change is the offside tag up.  Really improved game flow.  Getting 5, 6, 7 minutes of uninterrupted hockey is common now.  Love it. 
    I believed the tag up rule was in place at one time and the nhl got rid of it, and brought it back…I agree it speeds up the game and makes for more excitement…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

The only thing I agree with you on is that the points for wins change. A regulation win should get more than an overtime or shootout win.

I still can’t believe there are people who still argue for fighting. One of the reasons the game is better today is because 3rd and 4th line players actually have some ability. No more goons who couldn’t play a lick filling out rosters.  As s Flyers fan I watched an awful of those and they brought no value to the game
    Every time a fight happens in the nhl people jump out of their seats…Bob Probert could play the game, Joe Kocur could play the games…knuckles Nyland could play the game…McSorley and Semenko could play the game…but most importantly no one was taking liberties toward superstars…because if you did…then you usually paid for it with a fist to your head…

one of the greatest players of all time, Steve Yzerman requested the wings bring back joe kocur after Probert was traded to Chicago.  If Stevie Y see’s value in guys like that…then it’s good enough for me…I mean, the nerve of that hall of famer thinking he knows more than Bettman and those idiot US owners…lmfao.

Gretzky is on the record of support for tough guys.  Me thinks Crosby doesn’t have the injury problems if Pitt had a guy like Probert.

Probert my favourite tough guy…in my top 5 of hockey players.  He is likely the toughest of all the tough guys and he could play.  

I’m not talking about gooning the league up like Philadelphia and Boston…just letting the superstars get protected by someone who does have their back…because it’s clear the league doesn’t..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Every time a fight happens in the nhl people jump out of their seats…Bob Probert could play the game, Joe Kocur could play the games…knuckles Nyland could play the game…McSorley and Semenko could play the game…but most importantly no one was taking liberties toward superstars…because if you did…then you usually paid for it with a fist to your head…

one of the greatest players of all time, Steve Yzerman requested the wings bring back joe kocur after Probert was traded to Chicago.  If Stevie Y see’s value in guys like that…then it’s good enough for me…I mean, the nerve of that hall of famer thinking he knows more than Bettman and those idiot US owners…lmfao.

Gretzky is on the record of support for tough guys.  Me thinks Crosby doesn’t have the injury problems if Pitt had a guy like Probert.

Probert my favourite tough guy…in my top 5 of hockey players.  He is likely the toughest of all the tough guys and he could play.  

I’m not talking about gooning the league up like Philadelphia and Boston…just letting the superstars get protected by someone who does have their back…because it’s clear the league doesn’t..
    Who was the last superstar to take a cheap shot recently? No one today is taking hits like Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger got away with routinely back in the day. The Stevens hit on Lindos would be a 25 game suspension today.  The stars are far more protected today than the old days. Dude on Winnipeg got suspended for playoff games for hitting a guy already down, that was barely an infraction in the old days. 
  • Options
    Looks like Stanley had a little accident…she’ll need to head out for some repairs…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Looks like Maroon.  He's not really a gentle guy. 
  • Options
    It’s headed to Montreal for repairs and will be available to Tampa next week…good thing they keep the original in a vault…hehehe
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Stanley Cup heading to Montreal for repairs after getting dented in parade (sportsnet.ca)

I wonder how many people in Tampa even know that the original never leaves the hall of fame?  hehehehe.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    Stanley Cup heading to Montreal for repairs after getting dented in parade (sportsnet.ca)

I wonder how many people in Tampa even know that the original never leaves the hall of fame?  hehehehe.

Be more whingey & insecure. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Looks like Stanley had a little accident…she’ll need to head out for some repairs…

The city of Tampa needs to stop winning. Between Brady tossing the Lombardi boat to boat and this, they've had their fill.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

The city of Tampa needs to stop winning. Between Brady tossing the Lombardi boat to boat and this, they've had their fill.
    Tampa never had a title until 2002.  Now they have three cups and 2 Lombardi's.  It's not exactly Boston at this point. 
  • Options
    Ryan Suter Zach Parise Minnesota Wild buyout - TSN.ca

Wow.  This will be a huge hit on their cap for the next 4 years?  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Gotta go with the 3-2-1-0 points system.  It is so silly and imbalanced right now that you have regular season games weighted 50% more than other games. And its many games that get weighted more, creating a benefit for going to OT a lot.  Its my biggest gripe with the current NHL.

Puck over the glass is dumb too.  There was nothing wrong with making the delay of game there at the discretion of the referees.  The NHL so desperately wants to create black and white rules when it isn't really that kind of sport.  Throw video review into the fire unless you need to determine if the puck went over the goal line.

As far as Bettman goes.  There is good and bad.  Ultimately though, he is, and always has been the greasy lawyer frontman for the NHL's Board of Governors, and if it werent him, it would be another greasy lawyer type who would be doing the same exact bidding of the same wealthy owners (and taking all the heat).

He took over at a pivoting point for pro sports, and maybe particularly the NHL.  Much of that pivoting was toward money and expansion and TV contracts.  They took away the cool Division names in favor of East, West, etc.  We had USA/Canada vs The World all star games.  New buildings in pretty much every single market, including a lot of relocation.  Money, money, money poured in and players became more and more their own 'brands'.

You lost a lot of the raw unpredictability and emotion that hockey brought.  Partially due to the players risking too much... but mainly due to what we now know of concussions and the lawsuits that come from that.  You also have players that are much, much bigger, stronger, and quicker than they were in the 70s and 80s, and early 90s, and they do severe damage when they punch faces/heads more often.  Back in the day, we may have a couple guys who are 6' 190 pounds duking it out.... now we have players well over 6 feet, well over 200 pounds and on all sorts of 21st century nutritional, training, and supplement regimens.  
    If anything, I believe that Bettman/the NHL has done the best job they could have possibly done to sit on the fence, allow fighting, but pretend just enough to be against it.  

At this time, with the NHL Board of Governors and Bettman, there is almost zero forward thinking going on.  The players are all giants, faster, more efficient, and better coached than ever, with 4 referees on the same playing surface size they used 150 years ago.  Not saying they need to go international size, but space is needed.  NHL games are boring slogs of robot players waiting for the other team to make a mistake.... and if there isnt an offsides challenge, we may see a goal at that point.

I also think they really have needed to lean in on the popularity the sport has in Europe and parts of Asia.  Its an advantage the NHL enjoys over most of our other sports and every year is a year wasted, while other sports seem to be pressing harder in those areas.  Im not talking "Europe Series" where the Sabres and Tampa Bay play a game in Germany... which is fine.  IMO they should be trying to plan a mid/during-the-season tournament with NHL teams and include some Euro teams or KHL teams much like Euro soccer does.  That would fast-track the European Expansion that has been rumored since Gretzky went to LA.  Eventually, I think you would have a Division/Conference out there, and Im sure a lot of European players would desire to play there.  True international competition.  You could have Tampa Bay vs Russia for the Stanley Cup where everyone is tuning in rooting for Tampa Bay to keep the cup here.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:

Tampa never had a title until 2002.  Now they have three cups and 2 Lombardi's.  It's not exactly Boston at this point. 
    It's better.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

$4,743,588
    $12,743,588
    $14,743,588
    $14,743,588
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:

It's better.
    Cmon man!  Boston has titles in every sport this century,  and The Sox and Patriots have multiple. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:

I'm just talking about the way they abuse championship trophies. They need to stop winning so these pieces of hardware survive.
    This weekend we rock Portland