Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    ^^^^I sure HOPE they play in the Olympics too.^^^^>I don't watch the NHL that much anymore, but i like watching the International events(World Championships , Olympics & JR. World Championships). I'm watching this version of the WCOH, but with ONLY 6 Countries, and 2 "other teams", competing, doesn't make sense to me. How can it be called The World Cup Of Hockey? With that said that NA-Sweden game was really entertaining.

Lets go Team Sweden!
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    In a sense though, doesnt it ensure more quality players are playing with the under 23 teams? We would rather see no names from germany and norway lose by 8 goals?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited September 2016
    BCBA said:

That NA game was much better than anything the olympics have produced. That OT was amazing!

No way it beats TJ Oshie clowning the Russians with Putin in attendance
  • Options
    SI top headlines ... no mention

USA Today Sports ... no mention

ESPN top headlines ... no mention

So no visibility for the league product, but at least Bettman doesn't have to pay and makes a few ducketts.
  • Options
    Also, I have no problems with this tournament even though I have little interest. I just think leaving the Olympics is super dumb from a marketing perspective.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ F5
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited September 2016
    Jason P said:

SI top headlines ... no mention

USA Today Sports ... no mention

ESPN top headlines ... no mention

So no visibility for the league product, but at least Bettman doesn't have to pay and makes a few ducketts.

Say its the olympics NA is replaced with Germany or the Swiss and it is a game vs Sweden, would it appear anywhere on those outlets?

IMO the NHL has little interest in sending the players to Korea, then China in 2022. They'll maybe revisit it depending on the location in 2026. They probably didnt want to send players to Russia but did not want to risk a mutiny/walkout by the Russian players who wanted to play at home.

The Olympic product has been dull for the most part, especially overseas. It gets worse too as spoilers become impossible to avoid. When the olympics are in North America then it seems good.... but that might just be based on those 2 years the US and Canada met in the Gold Medal Game. The Sochi one turned into a snooze fest as Canada just dominated and suffocated the offense out of the games.

At 4:12 it gets real good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcb8tRi4Ns

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/team-north-america-captured-hearts-and-minds-at-world-cup

Not trying to dictate the agenda here, but if you love hockey in its purest, most unfiltered and most entertaining form, sit in front of your television Thursday afternoon and cheer your lungs out for Finland to beat Russia in the World Cup of Hockey. Because that’s the only way Team North America will advance to the semifinal. And rest assured, it will be your only chance to see this kind of hockey, perhaps until the next Olympics or even four years from now when a bunch of wildly talented kids we’ve never heard of yet make up Team North America again.
    Make no mistake. Team North America is a gimmick. So is Team Europe. They were born out of the fact that the organizers of this tournament believe there are only six countries in the world that can play hockey at a world-class level. But as it turns out, they’re great gimmicks. They’re eye-popping, surprising and refreshing gimmicks. Team North America has been the talk of the tournament, winning two games, including an instant classic with a 4-3 overtime win over Sweden Wednesday afternoon. It has defeated two established hockey countries and came within a goal of having a chance to beat another, but it will be all for naught if Russia beats Finland and takes the second spot in the semifinal. And that would be a shame.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    the problem with the NHL in the Olympics is you have to shut the season down and with Korea and China being the next two the long break is not worth the pay off for the NHL. In North America the games won't be shown live or will be shown at times that no one will watch anyway. While it sounds good the payoff for the NHL for the next 2 Olympics just isn't there.

I've always thought the NHL has done a poor job marketing anyway. stop trying to market to the markets and people who aren't into hockey already. To me the the NHL should market a lot more in their established markets. Get more people in those cities watching more hockey. Philly is a great hockey market but I'd say most Flyers fan mostly only watch Flyers games. The key is getting those fans to watch the other teams and stars. I see almost no advertising for the NHL itself in the Philly area. they should be targeting more fans in their main cities instead of worrying about expanding to new markets.

Will be an utter shame if Team North America doesn't make the Semis. We might need some home cooking officiating in today's game to make sure Russia get's beat :smiley:
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Most people are aware of the difficult logistics of playing in Korea and China, logistics were also very difficult for Sochi and all went off without to many problems ... and you can't ignore the size of the Korean and Chinese markets, even if you attract a very small percentage of Koreans and Chinese as possible fans that's huge ... you obviously won't make money off ticket sales from these markets, but the merchandising potential is there. As for watching the games live, they will be shown live in Canada, guaranteed, and Canadians will get up to watch the games, as will Swedes, Fins, Russians and anyone else who identifies as a hockey fan...the Olympics hockey tournament is quite simply the best international hockey tournament available if the NHL players are involved ... this current tournament is exciting hockey for sure, but doesn't even come close to having the same vibe that Olympics have.

I'm torn as to who I want Saturday, NAT or Russia .... I think another Canada - Russia is likely, but you just never know, Finland might pull the upset, either way team Canada will be ready for either opponent.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    lukin2006 said:

Most people are aware of the difficult logistics of playing in Korea and China, logistics were also very difficult for Sochi and all went off without to many problems ... and you can't ignore the size of the Korean and Chinese markets, even if you attract a very small percentage of Koreans and Chinese as possible fans that's huge ... you obviously won't make money off ticket sales from these markets, but the merchandising potential is there. As for watching the games live, they will be shown live in Canada, guaranteed, and Canadians will get up to watch the games, as will Swedes, Fins, Russians and anyone else who identifies as a hockey fan...the Olympics hockey tournament is quite simply the best international hockey tournament available if the NHL players are involved ... this current tournament is exciting hockey for sure, but doesn't even come close to having the same vibe that Olympics have.

I'm torn as to who I want Saturday, NAT or Russia .... I think another Canada - Russia is likely, but you just never know, Finland might pull the upset, either way team Canada will be ready for either opponent.

Yeah, it's not like Sochi was a close destination for the last Olympics....don't think having the players go to Korea or China will make it that much worse. And like you said, those are 2 enormous markets that would be silly to pass up on. And the spoiler thing doesn't really matter to me.....if it's a game I really want to watch, I'll be watching it. Guarantee I'll watch every USA game no matter what time it's on.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    edited September 2016

lukin2006 said:

Yeah, it's not like Sochi was a close destination for the last Olympics....don't think having the players go to Korea or China will make it that much worse. And like you said, those are 2 enormous markets that would be silly to pass up on. And the spoiler thing doesn't really matter to me.....if it's a game I really want to watch, I'll be watching it. Guarantee I'll watch every USA game no matter what time it's on.
    yes Canadian and current hockey fans will get up and watch the games but those people don't matter if your goal for being in the Olympics is to grow the audience. no one outside of regular hockey fans in North America will see one iota of the Olympics from Korea and China. grow the game here. Personally I think the NHL does a shitty job of marketing. you guys are looking at it as fans saying it's the best hockey there is. looking at it from a marketing perspective or an organization perspective i don't see a payoff for the NHL to go to Korea and China.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    Im really looking forward to this season. I'm going Sunday for a scrimmage and to get out of this damn 90 degree heat and at least pretend it's fall for a while & meet some of the new guys. I looked at my tickets the other day and I have 59 tickets in October and November. It's going to weird without Shea Weber but if we get decent goaltending it should be a fun ride for nashville.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    pjhawks said:

lukin2006 said:

yes Canadian and current hockey fans will get up and watch the games but those people don't matter if your goal for being in the Olympics is to grow the audience. no one outside of regular hockey fans in North America will see one iota of the Olympics from Korea and China. grow the game here. Personally I think the NHL does a shitty job of marketing. you guys are looking at it as fans saying it's the best hockey there is. looking at it from a marketing perspective or an organization perspective i don't see a payoff for the NHL to go to Korea and China.
    Agreed that the NHL does a shitty job of marketing here. I just don't think it hurts anything to shut down the league for 2-3 weeks every 4 years. And I love olympic hockey so selfishly I don't want it to go away.

Who really makes the final decision on this? Is it just Bettman or is this something that is written into the CBA?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Who really makes the final decision on this? Is it just Bettman or is this something that is written into the CBA?

Its basically the NHL Owners/BOG. Bettman is really just the grease-man for the NHL.

The issue is, I dont think they are too excited to go, shut down the season, and risk injury before the stretch run. It also pushes the season back into almost July. Especially when the games are marginalized by being on the other continent and in non-hockey nations. The main reason Sochi happened was to avoid a big conflict with the Russian players.

Now the IOC is digging their heels in and for costs they previously accepted to bring NHLers in, they are bailing on and demanding the NHL owners pay for it (which Bettman referred to "many, many millions of dollars"). The NHL sees this as an out IMO. This World Cup was likely a measure to satisfy the international tournament fix until at least 2026. Maybe if the revenues, ratings, etc arent good, they could fold up and accept the IOC's terms. Maybe the IOC sees the NHL might not be bluffing and forks over the $$$.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

I'm looking forward to the 2018 Olympics if the NHL is there, and as our broadcast team here in Canada pointed out after Tuesdays US vs Canada game that the US has some help on the way, some good young players on the NAT. But team Europe and NAT was where I had a problem with this tournament ... the NHL didn't even have the balls to add 2 actual countries, like Switzerland, Germany maybe Slovakia ... those countries have been getting better and producing better players...and I think it was pure bs that McDavid was unable to play for Canada and the same for Mathews and Eichel for the US.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Canada vs Russia Saturday...doesn't get better than that.

• Options
    BCBA said:

In a sense though, doesnt it ensure more quality players are playing with the under 23 teams? We would rather see no names from germany and norway lose by 8 goals?

I get what you're saying, but how are those Countries gonna get better if ther not even in the competition?

Though, i think some of those under 23 players from the USA should've been on TEAM USA, because they sure could'v used them. Plus, i don't follow the NHL that much, but where was Phil Kessel & Bobby Ryan? Too old?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Canada vs USA is, in the Finals, would've been better. For me anyway.

Since that's not happening, i hope it's Sweden-Canada in the Finals.

Lets go Sweden.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    cutz said:

BCBA said:

I get what you're saying, but how are those Countries gonna get better if ther not even in the competition?

Though, i think some of those under 23 players from the USA should've been on TEAM USA, because they sure could'v used them. Plus, i don't follow the NHL that much, but where was Phil Kessel & Bobby Ryan? Too old?
    They built the team to specifically beat Canada. That's why players were left out.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cutz said:

BCBA said:

Those countries still have the same opportunity to get better. This World Cup of Hockey didnt even exist in the past few decades. There is still the World Juniors, the U18s, the Worlds in May and the Olympics.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Lame that team NA couldnt move on due to the silly OT extra points rules
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

cutz said:

BCBA said:

They built the team to specifically beat Canada. That's why players were left out.
    The US officials have admitted that approach was a mistake, but we'll take it as a compliment.

• Options
    cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

Lets go Sweden.
    I agree, but really Sweden...nah there boring hockey, however maybe the Sedins can get reacquainted with Brad Marchand again...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

Lets go Sweden.
    I agree, but really Sweden...nah there boring hockey, however maybe the Sedins can get reacquainted with Brad Marchand again...
    Well, since my mom's maiden name is Lindstrom( Her Grandfather was born and raised in Sweden, before moving to the USA), so she has a lot of Swedish in her, so i obviously do too, i always root for Sweden if USA can't win.

But, yeah, Sweden can play some boring Hockey i must admit, but it works for them.
  • Options
    cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

Lets go Sweden.
    Well, since my mom's maiden name is Lindstrom( Her Grandfather was born and raised in Sweden, before moving to the USA), so she has a lot of Swedish in her, so i obviously do too, i always root for Sweden if USA can't win.

But, yeah, Sweden can play some boring Hockey i must admit, but it works for them.
    Nice story ... truthfully I'd root for Sweden before the US, even Russia. But first Canada and Sweden must win their semi finals to have an Olympic rematch...been some good hockey.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

Lets go Sweden.

Nice story ... truthfully I'd root for Sweden before the US, even Russia. But first Canada and Sweden must win their semi finals to have an Olympic rematch...been some good hockey.
    That's true(Sweden & Canada) have to win first their semi's.

But, what i don't understand: How come the Semi's aren't played on the same day/night? The winner of tomorrow night's semi gets one day less of rest. Afraid they won't sell out? Don't you think both games would sell out if played on the same day/night? Especially on a Saturday?
  • Options
    cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

cutz said:

lukin2006 said:

Lets go Sweden.

That's true(Sweden & Canada) have to win first their semi's.

But, what i don't understand: How come the Semi's aren't played on the same day/night? The winner of tomorrow night's semi gets one day less of rest. Afraid they won't sell out? Don't you think both games would sell out if played on the same day/night? Especially on a Saturday?
    Not sure why both semi finals aren't played on the same day. That was a bad Russia team that was kept in the game by great goaltending, but Crosby is showing why he is simply the worlds best player and what a job Toews did in shutting down Ovechkin...should be a good final.

• Options
    Well I didn't see that coming, team Europe upsetting Sweden, Europe vs Canada final...

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lukin2006 said:

Well I didn't see that coming, team Europe upsetting Sweden, Europe vs Canada final...

Agreed. This is going to be a walk for Canada.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    Was rooting for Sweden
    I miss igotid88