Options

2024 NHL Playoffs

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    NHL: Canadiens' Shea Weber's career in jeopardy due to injury (yahoo.com)

Shea Weber Montreal Canadiens Nashville Predators - TSN.ca

Looks like Weber's career may be over.  What a warrior...he will be missed.

Now from a sensible point of view.  The cap hit that Montreal would be occurring over the next 5 years would have been a hindrance going forward.  Now if Weber retires, that noise you may be hearing is Nashville's front office...apparently Weber retiring will shift the dead cap over to Nashville...ouch.

The most we would be hit with is the remaining AAV of his contract which would be about $4.9 million over 5 years. That's not ideal, but it's manageable.

If he goes on LTIRetirement then there is no recapture penalty.

And this is all if the NHL decides to penalize us for a contract that was offered by Philly, matched by Nashville, signed within the rules at the time AND was approved by the league. The cap recapture rules were put in place a couple of years after the deal was signed. 

It would basically be like you were driving down the road today and the speed limit is 50, but tomorrow they changed the speed limit to 40 and tried to give you  a ticket because you broke today's limit yesterday.

Heres what could happen if Weber retires - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

About 6 million a year.  Montreal wants to put him on LTIR ... but it sounds like the league will make it difficult ... so it may be between the NHLPA and the NHL.  

I don't think the league will take a stance on if he can or cannot go on IR. That opens them up to potential legal action by MTL and the NHLPA. 
    I think that if it's reasonable that he would return under that injury then he could go on LTIR.  If it's not, then that's where the dispute could happen.  No?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:

Now from a sensible point of view.  The cap hit that Montreal would be occurring over the next 5 years would have been a hindrance going forward.  Now if Weber retires, that noise you may be hearing is Nashville's front office...apparently Weber retiring will shift the dead cap over to Nashville...ouch.
    that's a tough break.  It sucks.  I like the guy.  Hedman was playing with a torn meniscus since March which doesnt' surprise me.  He didn't skate at all like he is capable throughout the playoffs.  By contrast, he will not be left unprotected though.
    He'll be missed, especially his leadership.  On the flip side, his 8 million cap hit was going to be a problem down the road...and he is often injured.  Knowing Bergevin he'll either make a trade or try to get Hamilton if he hits FA.  He now has the money to get a guy like Hamilton.

I'm not surprised Hedman played through that injury. Hockey players are a different breed and most are as tough as nails.  Bobby Baun scored a playoff overtime goal for Toronto in the early '60s, with a broken leg...he wouldn't let them x-ray it.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

The most we would be hit with is the remaining AAV of his contract which would be about $4.9 million over 5 years. That's not ideal, but it's manageable.

And this is all if the NHL decides to penalize us for a contract that was offered by Philly, matched by Nashville, signed within the rules at the time AND was approved by the league. The cap recapture rules were put in place a couple of years after the deal was signed. 

It would basically be like you were driving down the road today and the speed limit is 50, but tomorrow they changed the speed limit to 40 and tried to give you  a ticket because you broke today's limit yesterday.

About 6 million a year.  Montreal wants to put him on LTIR ... but it sounds like the league will make it difficult ... so it may be between the NHLPA and the NHL.  

I don't think the league will take a stance on if he can or cannot go on IR. That opens them up to potential legal action by MTL and the NHLPA. 
    I think that if it's reasonable that he would return under that injury then he could go on LTIR.  If it's not, then that's where the dispute could happen.  No?

If he's eligible to go on LTIR and collect his $12 million/year...why would he outright retire and give that up? 
    Especially if there's any chance he could come back at some point. 
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:

If he's eligible to go on LTIR and collect his $12 million/year...why would he outright retire and give that up? 
    Especially if there's any chance he could come back at some point. 
    It’s now in the leagues hand.  And reports are saying that him going on ltir will end up between the league and the NHLPA.  Who says he’ll lose 12 million if he retires?  The Canadiens still need to hire another coach and I’m sure they have front office jobs available…and with this extremely short office season, I suspect Montreal wants that 8 million freed up by FA.  And he can unretire if he becomes healthy enough … reports also say he’s likely done playing…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If he retires he loses his salary. If he goes on LTIR, he still gets paid. 

Also, MTL gets 500k of cap recapture so it's in their best interest too for LTIR
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

Also, MTL gets 500k of cap recapture so it's in their best interest too for LTIR
    Perhaps you should read my post again.

Big deal if 500k Cap recapture…they still save 7.3 on the salary cap.

If he retires Montreal would likely hire him.  They would pay him, you know that right…so that would replace lost wages.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Jumb0 said:

Perhaps you should read my post again.

Big deal if 500k Cap recapture…they still save 7.3 on the salary cap.

If he retires Montreal would likely hire him.  They would pay him, you know that right…so that would replace lost wages.

They also save his cap hit if he goes on LTIR and I highly doubt MTL is going to give him $6 million for a front office gig...or $3 million next season.  
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think if they gave Weber $6 million to be a glorified intern, the cap circumvention police would be paying them a visit, ha.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I think if they gave Weber $6 million to be a glorified intern, the cap circumvention police would be paying them a visit, ha.

Exactly
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    If he retires and gets hired as a coach then it’s no big deal.  Weber is a team player.  He’ll do what’s best for Montreal…not Nashville.  Nashville were the dummies who decided that contract was worth signing…but I doubt Montreal wants that contract hanging over their head during Free Agency.  The NHL are the dickheads here.  These problems have been with Weber for 3 years.  Nick Kypreos has stated Weber was planning on going on ltir before the pandemic…but the pandemic allowed him 2 shortened seasons and plenty of rest.  The nhl and ltir is Just another example of the nhl being a league that is being run by office temps…

anyone who thought Weber would ever play that contract out to duration have never watched Weber play hockey…which explains the nhls position…I doubt Bettman watches much hockey…he’s just a clown.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think that's still a big deal.  The highest paid head coach right now is making, what?  $5 Million?  To give a guy with no coaching experience such a high salary to be an associate coach or something would be a pretty big suspension of belief and other teams would complain, and it opens the barn door for further manipulation.  The Rangers could give a 32 year old a 7 or 8 year contract with a wink that he can stop whenever he feels and will have a cush $6 million "position" waiting for him.

Also, Nashville were the dummies for signing it, but Montreal knew the details of the contract when they traded for him.  They cant complain not fair when the contract becomes the issue that everyone expected, and Nashville are the only dummies culpable after the fact.

And if he retires, the NHL should not provide cap relief to Nashville.  The Sabres had Christian Ehrhoff and had to eat his contract for years until 2028 with a buyout instead of trade him because they didnt want the much more horrific cap recapture penalty to haunt them down the road if he retired early.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    MayDay10 said:
    I think that's still a big deal.  The highest paid head coach right now is making, what?  $5 Million?  To give a guy with no coaching experience such a high salary to be an associate coach or something would be a pretty big suspension of belief and other teams would complain, and it opens the barn door for further manipulation.  The Rangers could give a 32 year old a 7 or 8 year contract with a wink that he can stop whenever he feels and will have a cush $6 million "position" waiting for him.

Also, Nashville were the dummies for signing it, but Montreal knew the details of the contract when they traded for him.  They cant complain not fair when the contract becomes the issue that everyone expected, and Nashville are the only dummies culpable after the fact.

And if he retires, the NHL should not provide cap relief to Nashville.  The Sabres had Christian Ehrhoff and had to eat his contract with a buyout instead of trade him because they didnt want the cap recapture penalty to haunt them down the road
    Agree, sign the deal or make the trade and deal with it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    If he retires and gets hired as a coach then it’s no big deal.  Weber is a team player.  He’ll do what’s best for Montreal…not Nashville.  Nashville were the dummies who decided that contract was worth signing…but I doubt Montreal wants that contract hanging over their head during Free Agency.  The NHL are the dickheads here.  These problems have been with Weber for 3 years.  Nick Kypreos has stated Weber was planning on going on ltir before the pandemic…but the pandemic allowed him 2 shortened seasons and plenty of rest.  The nhl and ltir is Just another example of the nhl being a league that is being run by office temps…

anyone who thought Weber would ever play that contract out to duration have never watched Weber play hockey…which explains the nhls position…I doubt Bettman watches much hockey…he’s just a clown.

lol. Shea is going to do what's best for Shea. 
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    My final thoughts on Weber.  Everyone in hockey knew that the last 4-5 years of his contract could be a potential problem.  I never expected him to play it out…he’s to physical of defensemen to expect him to play till 40.

I loved Weber in Montreal…he is a great leader and a tremendous locker room presence, and of course a great defensemen.  His injuries have been well documented the last couple years…

Their has also been nothing definitive from Montreal on Weber’s injury…so far it’s speculation coming from sources within.  I do expect him to be left unprotected and it’s up to Seattle if they want to take a chance.

Rumour is Montreal tried to protect Jake Allen from the draft by making a deal with Seattle.  Seattle wanted to much.  I expect Allen to be traded at some point today…rumour is Edmonton wants him.  Seattle’s loss for being stupid…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Rumour is Jonathon Quick was left exposed.  In his prime he was one of the best.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Preds trade Ryan Ellis to Philly for Phillipe Myers and Nolan Patrick and then flip Patrick to Vegas for Cody Glass. 

Pretty happy from NSH side. Get rid of Ellis’ contract and get younger as well. Our history of developing Dmen should be good for Myers. Glass has a lot of upside as a former 6th overall pick. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Quickie was a beast and LA fans will always love him.
    He is not better than Cal, right now, at least not consistently.  Felt sure they would leave him out there....
  • Options
    I am hearing Carey Priced waived is no movement clause and will be exposed…the theory being Seattle will not want that contract…interesting.

if they do take Price and with Weber likely done that will leave Montreal with 32.5 million cap space…can fill in a lot of holes with that kind of cap space.

I hope they don’t take Price…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Lists are starting to leak. 

TOR exposes Kerfoot
    MTL exposes Drouin and Byron
    NSH exposes Duchene and Johansen 
  • Options
    Montreal exposes Price and Weber.

the trend I’m seeing is teams are exposing guys with large contracts…which seems smart.  The cap will likely stay at 81 million for a few years.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

the trend I’m seeing is teams are exposing guys with large contracts…which seems smart.  The cap will likely stay at 81 million for a few years.

Makes it very difficult for Seattle,  one would think.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Makes it very difficult for Seattle,  one would think.  
    I agree.  

In the case of Price I think Montreal believes Seattle does not want that contract for the next 5 years…plus price is owed 11 million September 1st.

I also read that Seattle takes on full responsibility of these contracts…if they took Price and he ends up on LTIR at some point, it will not effect Montreal’s cap.  If they take him Montreal then has a lot of cap space…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    is it really fare of the nhl to force Seattle to select a player from Buffalo or Arizona.

Arizona’s only purpose in the league is to take on bad contracts.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    There are players to pick from both Buffalo and Arizona - although they could have shit contracts, this doesn't show those details
  • Options
    I think Seattle can put together a good competing team with that list…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

But can they take on these players with their contracts?  I’m wondering do they get cap relief or anything.  If everyone simply exposes their dead weight contracts, how do field a competitive team under the cap?  I know Tampa is exposing Tyler Johnson, who was put on waivers twice this year, and no one took him because of his number.
  • Options
    I believe they do have some different cap considerations -. Read up on it all a few weeks ago and those details escape me, though.
  • Options
    Seattle will pick past the 'headliners' with inflated cap hits and find a serviceable team.  

I doubt they will find lightning in a bottle like Vegas was able to though. The days of an expansion team winning 10 games a season for the beginning of their existence is over.  I'm fine with that I guess, or at least understand it.  You get into a brand new, shiny market and you are going to try to entice new fans with the 92-93 Ottawa Senators.  

• Options
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:

But can they take on these players with their contracts?  I’m wondering do they get cap relief or anything.  If everyone simply exposes their dead weight contracts, how do field a competitive team under the cap?  I know Tampa is exposing Tyler Johnson, who was put on waivers twice this year, and no one took him because of his number.

Seattle still has to get to the cap floor so they will take on some big contracts but from other teams (looking at you Tampa) they won't take one of the high dollar guys without some enticement. 

And they don't get any exemptions or cap relief. They take the full terms for any player they choose.