Fans wearing sports jersey rules

Comments

• JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    81 wrote:
    any idea what number Ed wears at cubs camp?

it's funny to have a double take at people who put their own name on their jerseys.

hmm.. was schwarzkopf some random 3rd liner on the rangers that this fan grew really attached to? or is their last name?

yeah... don't remember a scrappy schwarzkopf on any ranger team. it's this cornball's last name.

from what i can tell....number 1 :?:

http://www.image3100.com/Sports/Randly- ... B3vU-L.jpg
    yeah, you'll notice it says CARDENAL on the back. And the blue jersey has no name. He also wore white jerseys with #1/VEDDER and #3/EDVED on them.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    JTH wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    "It's like going to a concert in the T-shirt of the band that's playing that night," says Ari Pillar, 29, who was wearing a simple, cool retro Giants T-shirt Monday night. "It's cooler to wear another band's T-shirt. But wearing a jersey of somebody you're watching? That's way high up the Dork Scale."

AGREED!
    Who the fuck is Ari Pillar and why should we give a shit what he thinks?

:lol: Some random shmohawk.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    JTH wrote:
    But I totally agree about not getting your name on a jersey... when I see that, my opinion of the person wearing it instantly drops.
    Why?

I wouldn't put my name on a jersey, but I have no problem with people who do. At least you know you won't be wearing the jersey of someone who'll be playing for a different team 6 months down the road.

The man makes a good point. When Favre turned into an assclown, I did some research to see who wore #4 before him - it was Chuck Fusina, Packers QB in 1986 who completed a total of 19 passes for the team :lol: So for my hubby's bday last year I had a #4 jersey made for him with Fusina's name on the back. It's probably his favorite thing in the world, ha!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JTH wrote:
    yeah, you'll notice it says CARDENAL on the back. And the blue jersey has no name. He also wore white jerseys with #1/VEDDER and #3/EDVED on them.

whats up with the Cardenal? Is he trying to poke fun at St Louis?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    this is the only non-player jersey i would wear :D

108375insetc_list_inset_conv.jpg
  • JTH wrote:
    But I totally agree about not getting your name on a jersey... when I see that, my opinion of the person wearing it instantly drops.
    Why?

I wouldn't put my name on a jersey, but I have no problem with people who do. At least you know you won't be wearing the jersey of someone who'll be playing for a different team 6 months down the road.
    I can't imagine ever doing that but watching the World Series last year, the camera caught Dirk Nowitzki at the game wearing a Rangers jersey. When he realized the camera was on him, he jumped up and turned around and Nowitzki was on the back of his jersey.

But if ya ask me, Dirk can do whatever he wants. 8-)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    ComeToTX wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Why?

it's corny.

but might not be as bad as people buying cubs jerseys and getting vedder put on the back of it.

yeah, that's strange to me too.

i don't see why people wear the band shirt of the band they're seeing either. we're all fans of the band we're going to see. that's why were going to the show. you don't have to prove it any further than that.

I guess I don't understand that. I do find it interesting and fun to see all the shirts of different bands that people wear to shows, but I see nothing wrong with wearing a shirt of the band you are seeing. I also enjoy seeing some of the old shirts of that band, from prior tours.

Iron Maiden and Rush are two bands that it seems everyone wears only their Iron Maiden or Rush shirts to the shows. Those are two bands that 90% of the crowd are guys, not sure if there is a correlation there....hmmm...
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I guess I don't understand that. I do find it interesting and fun to see all the shirts of different bands that people wear to shows, but I see nothing wrong with wearing a shirt of the band you are seeing.

totally agree. past handful of PJ shows i've been wearing a ridiculous looking liam finn shirt that i scored at an EV solo show back in like 2008. draws compliments.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Is wearing my stitched Mookie Blaylock Hawks jersey breaking "the rules"...if so which ones? And as I said before I hope I am breaking the rules of these blathering idiots who only think its uncool to wear band tshirts to shows because some movie told them so.
    81 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

whats up with the Cardenal? Is he trying to poke fun at St Louis?
    Yes.

71-435Fr.jpg
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    "It's like going to a concert in the T-shirt of the band that's playing that night," says Ari Pillar, 29, who was wearing a simple, cool retro Giants T-shirt Monday night. "It's cooler to wear another band's T-shirt. But wearing a jersey of somebody you're watching? That's way high up the Dork Scale."

AGREED!

by that math....shouldn't our friend Ari wear a jersey/shirt from a different team that isn't playing in the game he is attendeding?

there's two teams playing in a game therefore you're showing what team you are rooting for. at a PJ show everyone is cheering for PJ.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    rival. wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I guess I don't understand that. I do find it interesting and fun to see all the shirts of different bands that people wear to shows, but I see nothing wrong with wearing a shirt of the band you are seeing.

totally agree. past handful of PJ shows i've been wearing a ridiculous looking liam finn shirt that i scored at an EV solo show back in like 2008. draws compliments.

I kind of wear what I want. If it helps I did wear the PJ shirt I got from Alpine (in my avatar) to the American Idol Live show (please do not ask why, it was a moment of weakness and 81 has busted my balls enough about it). Actually it was to help me - during the show I could look down, see the shirt and remember that I saw PJ just a few days before and that reassured me that things will be ok. And also walking through the concourse, people could see that I was a fan of a real band and was only there to take my son and my girlfriend.
    ComeToTX wrote:
    at a PJ show everyone is cheering for PJ.

not in vancouver
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTH wrote:
    Why?

I just feel like you are trying to be something you are not... and trying way too hard. You are a fan of the team, not part of it. It just seems cheesy to me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    81 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    at a PJ show everyone is cheering for PJ.

not in vancouver

baa.zing!
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    JTH wrote:
    Why?

I just feel like you are trying to be something you are not... and trying way too hard. You are a fan of the team, not part of it. It just seems cheesy to me.
    i somewhat disagree here...in many cities your tax dollars are paying for the field that the players are performing on, and certainly your purchases (tix, jerseys, etc.) do get funnelled back to the team at some level, so while you may not like it some people are actually a part of the team.
    JTH wrote:
    Why?

Do you feel the same way about people here who reference PJ songs, lyrics, names of band members, etc. for their user IDs?
    JTH wrote:
    Do you feel the same way about people here who reference PJ songs, lyrics, names of band members, etc. for their user IDs?

yes. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

yes. :lol:

:evil:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • JTH wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Why?

Not at all. Different things in my opinion. Now if someone went to a PJ show dressed exactly like Eddie or something, that might be along the same lines.

To me it would be like someone painting their car up to look like their favorite nascar driver's car.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Rule number 5 is the best...never get your own last name on a jersey.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Except for the pink jerseys - to me that's just ridiculous! It screams "yeah I know absolutely nothing about football, but I think by wearing this it will make me look like I do" UGH. But that's just my opinion :|

i disagree....

i don't have a problem with a cute girl in a pink bears jersey....

um... that's not what it means, mamasan23.
    i agree with, 81. it means she's a girl and likes girly type things. so she wears a pink bears jersey. which is bullshit because pink is only a color.

the pink jersey does not make her think or anyone else think that she knows a fucking thing about soccer. she's cute and in a pink jersey... that is it.

in most cases her bullshit b/f or husband likes the sport, she doesn't but she supports/celebrates so to speak with her dude by wearing a pink jersey.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RW81233 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    Why?

i somewhat disagree here...in many cities your tax dollars are paying for the field that the players are performing on, and certainly your purchases (tix, jerseys, etc.) do get funnelled back to the team at some level, so while you may not like it some people are actually a part of the team.

Does buying a ton of albums, concert tickets, DVD's, posters make any of us part of Pearl Jam?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My main rule is that I don't get a jersey of anyone who is younger then me ... which leaves me about a five year window of jersey buying. :mrgreen: .... :shock: ...... :(
    Does buying a ton of albums, concert tickets, DVD's, posters make any of us part of Pearl Jam?

without us, would there be a them
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

No, but that isn't the same as being part of the band.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i want sports teams to make and endorce prophylactics.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    RW81233 wrote:

:?

dude, your logic is starting to get streched...
    81 wrote:

can jesus microwave a burrito so hot that not even he could eat it?
    JTH wrote:

Not at all. Different things in my opinion. Now if someone went to a PJ show dressed exactly like Eddie or something, that might be along the same lines.

To me it would be like someone painting their car up to look like their favorite nascar driver's car.
    So because, IN YOUR OPINION, someone's trying to be something they're not, you think less of them?

How do you know what that someone's reasons for wearing the jersey are? Maybe it was a gift and the guy wearing it feels like a complete tool doing so but he's wearing it anyway because it makes the person/people who gave the gift happy to see him wearing it?