snakes - friend or foe?

13»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Snakes are fascinating. I've come across three or four rattlesnakes in the wild (one was so small it was difficult to identify), several garter snakes. Each sighting was thrilling but the best was seeing a California kingsnake in the wild. The odd thing is, the only time I've been frightened by a snake was when I was a kid and my pet boa, Slim, bit me because he was over due for feeding. Slim taught me a good lesson about being responsible toward animals.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Long dead snake found in Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qnCV5u7cE

There is not a single recorded snake 50 feet long?
    And your link sucks

:twisted:

awwww did someone get scared? :roll:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    friends, but from afar.

i understand the importance of all animals (except the platypus) but i don't really like being around some of them, and really, REALLY don't want some of them to touch me.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • STAYSEA wrote:
    The best snake is a dead snake.

Hate 'em, always have. Now that I'm in the South, I have to worry about poisonous ones too.

FOE :thumbdown:

3 snakes are a problem for you where you live.
    I hate this thread. Kingsnake (coral snake), cotton mouth, copperhead.

I really doubt you will every get to see one.

Australia is so lucky
    Already seen the copperhead a couple of years ago while out fly fishing. Now I don't fish the Chattahoochee after March. Damn river is filled with them once the water warms up.

Up in the mountains there are both copperheads and eastern diamondbacks. I gave up warm weather fishing after a buddy damn near stepped on a rattler that same summer.

No corals anywhere near Atlanta, mainly down near Florida and near the swamps.

Cottonmouths are around some of the lakes near me. A friend killed a couple over the 4th of July weekend last summer when we were at their lake house. Their dogs enjoyed playing with the dead snakes.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the wolf wrote:
    friends, but from afar.

i understand the importance of all animals (except the platypus) but i don't really like being around some of them, and really, REALLY don't want some of them to touch me.

the platypus is an extraordinary creature. evolutionarily speaking it is highly valuable hwen it comes to seeing where we are other mammals came from and when divergences took place. plus theyre so cute. they are venomous as well, so be nice. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

The first step in evolution.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Friends....I've held a snake or two in my life... :corn:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    I visited my mom in Kansas at the first of the month. She wanted flowers planted, and her garden was covered in leaves, so she wanted me to rake first. Every rake-full exposed one or two of these
    ringneck_A_800_fs.jpg

I would yell "snake" every time but kept raking and planted her flowers. I am sure they were eating many of the weird and innumerous bugs under the leaves. So they were being friends, but asustado.gif - they give me the willies.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/we ... ster-snake
    titanoboa of columbia, a prehistoric giant snake unlike any other. titanoboa would be 45 feet in length & up to 2500 pounds. i read a few paragraphs on this in a magazine today waiting for physical therapy to begin.

and one of you commented here bumping the thread back alive.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I visited my mom in Kansas at the first of the month. She wanted flowers planted, and her garden was covered in leaves, so she wanted me to rake first. Every rake-full exposed one or two of these
    ringneck_A_800_fs.jpg

I would yell "snake" every time but kept raking and planted her flowers. I am sure they were eating many of the weird and innumerous bugs under the leaves. So they were being friends, but asustado.gif - they give me the willies.

Looks like a yellow bellied racer . It's their breeding season. I'm not positive because of the yellow banding around the head. They don't eat bugs. :lol: It's a Ribbon snake or a Garter snake. Either friend is not a foe.
    the wolf wrote:
    friends, but from afar.

What is the reason to have mosquitoes??? I know bats eat them. But the all the species of mosquitoes are worthless to me.
    STAYSEA wrote:
    ringneck_A_800_fs.jpg

Looks like a yellow bellied racer . It's their breeding season. I'm not positive because of the yellow banding around the head. They don't eat bugs. :lol: It's a Ribbon snake or a Garter snake. Either friend is not a foe.
    thank you for helping get this ironed out. that is a ring neck snake. i dialed in "native snakes of kansas"
    http://www.snakesofkansas.com/ringneck.htm
    cool page they have. i'll share the link below
    http://www.snakesofkansas.com/

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    ringneck_A_800_fs.jpg

thank you for helping get this ironed out. that is a ring neck snake. i dialed in "native snakes of kansas"

It's a colubrid. Basically a simple corn snake with out much color. We all learn things every day. Thanks Chadwick. :D
    I hadn't thought about ring necks in years. If they could even bite you, it would feel like soft Velcro rubbing against your skin.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    chadwick wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    ringneck_A_800_fs.jpg

Yeah my brothers used to catch them. I was happy just watching. ;) I have volunteered at a zoo. I loved caring and feeding for the new zoo animals in quarantine and those who were injured. But the day the baby snakes in the aquarium in the back room escaped and were all around the door casing, I got an employee. :roll: :lol:

And good for you Chadwick for good snake identification. My son and I stopped in a museum on our way through Kansas and they had a live rattlesnake exhibit. It was really cool with most species of rattlesnake represented, identifying where in the country they lived and how toxic each variety was. That was kind of cool, but once again they were behind glass. ;)
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    Yeah my brothers used to catch them. I was happy just watching. ;) I have volunteered at a zoo. I loved caring and feeding for the new zoo animals in quarantine and those who were injured. But the day the baby snakes in the aquarium in the back room escaped and were all around the door casing, I got an employee. :roll: :lol:

And good for you Chadwick for good snake identification. My son and I stopped in a museum on our way through Kansas and they had a live rattlesnake exhibit. It was really cool with most species of rattlesnake represented, identifying where in the country they lived and how toxic each variety was. That was kind of cool, but once again they were behind glass. ;)
    rattlesnakes are one of my favorite critters this planet has to offer. if i were worth 13 cents i'd have been a herpetologist. when i was younger i had subscriptions to reptile magazines, read books, scientific journals, & the like.

http://youtu.be/naiRJnA-6kk
    viperkeeper is a pretty well educated guy when it comes to snakes. he is a grouchy dude who dislikes poor english writing posted on his stuff in the comment section of his videos :lol:

he takes care of some taipans & bothrops aspers... aka, fer de lance & other badasses

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    http://youtu.be/-eydK_N60FU
    this makes me so sad & has just begun to ruin my day
    these guys should be punishment
    is it the pythons' fault they are in florida?
    fucking no it sure is not
    relocate the snakes if the invasiveness is bothering the natural balance of the everglades, which they say it is
    i actually understand what it means, invasive species... this can be clams & carp from asia & aquatic plants. murdering this giant majestic reptile is a spectacular crime against life

i dislike the news anchors. everglades assholes, may your airboat breakdown leaving you stranded for days

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    edited July 2015
    Too bad this guy couldn't have been caught and put in a herpetarium.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I bet that guy isn't happy with snakes: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55b38198e4b0a13f9d18bf80
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless