snakes - friend or foe?

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
a topic inspired by brianlux's spider thread.

i love snakes. i wish there were more of them. my favorite part of any zoo is their snake/reptile house.
i've kept both lethal and none lethal snakes. i used to get bit by the none lethal ones quite a bit due to always looking for them and picking them up with my bare hands. a garder snake is a pissy little shit that has a fun little bite to 'em. they draw blood and bruise ya, it kinda hurts, but a good hurt.

i remember camping with dad and he was bitten by a copperhead or something when we were in this firewood pile. all he did was drink more beer and whiskey. he took a nap maybe. it was invigorating.

our first bad ass snake we kept was a columbian redtail boa. her name was Connie. she climbed the christmas tree every year and hung out for awhile. when she bit ya it was bloody, she got dad a few times.

no matter they are my pals. if you kill snakes you are not my pal.
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    snakes are the devils work.

any animal without legs is the devils work.

any animal with more than 20 legs is the devils work

they are all evil and are banned from my homestead.

i hope we can still be pals
    :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    chadwick wrote:
    i remember camping with dad and he was bitten by a copperhead or something when we were in this firewood pile. all he did was drink more beer and whiskey. he took a nap maybe. it was invigorating.
    oh my. This is funny. I'm glad the outcome was positive. :D
    I like snakes.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I used to like them, i go hiking alot and have almost stepped on a few, i never see them till they realize i'm about to step on them and all of a sudden the ground is moving, freaks me out.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Friend....somebody has combat the reproductive prowess of the rodents. 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • non-venomous = friend
    venomous = foe

I tend to classify any animal who can easily kill me with one bite as a foe.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    tybird wrote:
    and i love your avatar the best :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    snakes are the devils work.

any animal without legs is the devils work.

any animal with more than 20 legs is the devils work

they are all evil and are banned from my homestead.

i hope we can still be pals
    :P
    :evil:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    and i love your avatar the best :mrgreen:
    Thank you...it was a Carolina anole that would sit in the entrance of a bird house at my Grandfather's place
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    non-venomous = friend
    venomous = foe

I tend to classify any animal who can easily kill me with one bite as a foe.
    Way to break it down....Mr. Burns would say, "Excellent"
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    2941_af.jpg

nom nom
  • Love snakes. They are beautiful and fascinating creatures. I've only ever kept one as a pet. I have a Burmese python in HS. Got him when he was about 4 feet long and when he finally grew to over 6 ft and began eating live rabbits, I had to get rid of him. Wonder what ole Mean Green is up to now???
    But yes, snakes are definitely our friends.

Not to derail the thread but does anyone know the purpose of the common housefly? Do they truly hold an important place in our ecosystems? Just had this conversation the other night so I thought I'd ask here.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i hate snakes, always have

i was in North Carolina a few years ago for training and we were navigating through the middle of the woods and there was a snake right by my foot at one point..... i about shit myself

but anyway snakes are bad :P
  • I like snakes, from a distance. I have held some non venemous ones before but was not comfortable.

An animal I do not like, and sends chills down my spine is the bat. Tears, the creeps... and I'm not a sissy! I understand their purpose, but ICK!!

As for the housefly, they are useful for breaking down garbage. However, it is a gross process.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I love animals and snakes are kool just as long as someone else is handling them.

Down here in South Florida and out here where we live they are everywhere. I last saw one crossing the road by the gaurd gate.....beautiful 6 footer that nearly got completely run over by a dump truck...it was a python.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Not to derail the thread but does anyone know the purpose of the common housefly? Do they truly hold an important place in our ecosystems? Just had this conversation the other night so I thought I'd ask here.

they eat shit
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    EmBleve wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    oh my. This is funny. I'm glad the outcome was positive. :D
    I like snakes.

That made me laugh my ass off.

chad, as already mentioned, they are my friend if they can't kill me with one strike. I used to love catching garder snakes in a field near my house when my home town was a small(er) town.

I have a friend who has a hobby of collecting/caring for snakes and tarantulas and other exotic pets. He recently just got a centipede.

Snakes = :thumbup:
    Tarantulas or any spiders = :thumbdown:
    Centipedes = :thumbdown:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:

they eat shit

That and they spread disease.

Seriously though, I think their only purpose is to feed other species.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    g under p wrote:
    I love animals and snakes are kool just as long as someone else is handling them.

Down here in South Florida and out here where we live they are everywhere. I last saw one crossing the road by the gaurd gate.....beautiful 6 footer that nearly got completely run over by a dump truck...it was a python.

Peace
    A python in the Florida wild needs to be run over by something....or at least captured and placed in captivity....they are an introduced (illegally) and destructively invasive animal when in the wild here in the states.

As to another poster's question, house flies help spread disease, thus helping keep the human population in check...and they also serve as food for many other species.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    friends.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • TyBIRD's avatar is a lizard, and Lizard's avatar is a bird. :idea:
    TyBIRD's avatar is a lizard, and Lizard's avatar is a bird. :idea:

your skills never cease to amaze.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • indiana-snakes.jpg

If Indiana Jones hates them... so do I.

Things Indiana Jones hates:

1. Snakes
    2. Nazis
    3. Being called "Junior"
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

they eat shit

That and they spread disease.

Seriously though, I think their only purpose is to feed other species.

well the maggots they lay eat waste and rotten stuff, right??? :sick:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Is it whacking day yet?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    indiana-snakes.jpg

If Indiana Jones hates them... so do I.

Things Indiana Jones hates:

1. Snakes
    2. Nazis
    3. Being called "Junior"

"we named the dog Indiana"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    There is nothing in this world I hate and am more terrified of than snakes. Nothing. Just thinking about them sends a chill up my spine.
  • Fuck snakes
    "Elephant"
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    at a quick glance, I thought the title said: "snakes - fried or whole" and I thought, on no, not another animal that got grilled at Alpine like the pigeon.
  • I've never encountered any type of real snake, but I'm pretty sure I would react the same way I do when I see a spider
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    A solid friend

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5DdgrGTSb07FVgufa7eCI-jv0gnxeSvPB35rjMI-9Qdx8vq_t