Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    DEATH PENALTY AND MENTAL DISABILITIES

International standards on the use of the death penalty state that the death penalty should not be imposed against people with mental disabilities. This safeguard continues to be ignored in the USA.

Florida executed John Ferguson on 5 August, despite his decades-long history of mental illness which pre-dated his crimes. He was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1971. In 1975 a court-appointed psychiatrist concluded that Ferguson’s severe mental illness rendered him dangerous and meant that he “should not be released under any circumstances” from a maximum security mental hospital. He was, however, discharged, and within three years was on death row for eight murders. The diagnoses of serious mental illness, including by prison doctors, continued on death row.

On 21 August, the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit found Texas death row prisoner Scott Panetti competent for execution and rejected the claim that he had been incompetent to represent himself at his 1995 trial. Scott Panetti was sentenced to death for murdering his parents-in-law in 1992, several years after he was first diagnosed with schizophrenia. He had been hospitalized for mental illness, including bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, on a number of occasions prior to the crime.

Warren Hill’s execution was stopped three hours before it was due to be carried out on 19 July in Georgia, in connection with litigation on the state’s lethal injection protocol. Despite all seven experts to have assessed Warren Hill stating that he had “mental retardation”, the execution was not stopped on these grounds. The execution of those with “mental retardation” has been prohibited in the USA since 2002, but concerns remain about implementation of this US Supreme Court ruling.

A year earlier, on 17 July 2012, the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary extrajudicial executions had urged the US authorities to stop the execution of Warren Hill. He voiced “particular concern that Georgia is now the only US state that requires proof of what it calls ‘mental retardation beyond reasonable doubt,’ rather than a preponderance of the evidence as in other jurisdictions.”
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    its simple. the day they executed the wrong man was the day capital punishment should have been 86'd.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

its simple. the day they executed the wrong man was the day capital punishment should have been 86'd.

That sentence should put a nail on this coffin. Well said ganja.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765

Yup.
    But we know for a fact that it's happened to as many as 1200 people since 1976. And people still support it. They obviously don't care about innocent people being killed. They are too busy focusing on revenge.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    A little time out with George Carlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited May 2014
    Dip a guy in batter just for a goof (in the boiling oil method).

Dip a guy in brown gravy and lock him in a room with a wolverine high on angel dust. There's a guy who won't be fuckin' with kids at the bus stop for a while.

Take a small tactical nuclear weapon and stuff it up his ass (or that little small hole at the end of a guy's dick).

Funny clip.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Ex-soldier apologizes for killing five-year-old daughter, asks jury to let him live.

Essentially, between sniffles and long dramatic pauses... the guy says, "Sorry" for beating his 5 year old daughter to death on a military base in Hawaii. He explains that he was very frustrated and that is why he beat her to death. This explanation for his motivation seems to make sense, I guess?

He also wants the chance to be a better father to his two other children, an 11-year-old son who lives in Georgia and a nine-year-old daughter who lives in Tennessee.

I guess he's not only asking for people to spare his life... he wants the freedom to try being a dad again?

Incredulously, his crime isn't near as horrific as some child murderer's crimes (although a child's death at the hands of her father bears some grimacing). As such- being I'm becoming more and more desensitized to these acts- I'm indifferent to what our response should be... just so long as he doesn't get the chance to 'play dad' again.

http://www.canada.com/life/soldier+apologizes+killing+five+year+daughter+asks+jury+live/9908325/story.html
  • Options
    This guy can go.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/courtroom-drama-texas-slaughter-suspect-collapses-before-judge

It's not going to happen though. He's got some really good courtroom theatrics going on (collapsing before the judge)... and he's got a crafty attorney using the oldest one in the book (going for the old 'not guilty plea by reason of insanity'). Guaranteed there'll be some idiots falling hook, line and sinker for these shenanigans. They'll overlook the fact that he was on a cross country tour in pursuit of his ex-wife.

It's interesting how he got a little weak-kneed confronted by his obscenity, but stood strong when he fatally shot Stephen and Katie Stay, and their four children, ages 4 to 14, in the back of their heads.

Fuckin' loser.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    He was calculating. I doubt hell get insanity in this county. Lock him up forever. But don't kill as he has done.

Peace TB.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

He was calculating. I doubt hell get insanity in this county. Lock him up forever. But don't kill as he has done.

Peace TB.

Peace to you, friend.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 827
    Against...only due to the massive waste of time and money it takes to kill them. Let them build license plates until they die old and grey.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/henry-mccollum-leon-brown-declared-innocent-after-30-years-in-prison-1.2753737

Henry McCollum, Leon Brown declared innocent after 30 years in prison
    None of the DNA collected at the scene was linked to Brown or McCollum
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/henry-mccollum-leon-brown-declared-innocent-after-30-years-in-prison-1.2753737

Sure they where Evil doers and deserved to die anyway. Bastards. And so what if a few innocents get thrown in with the baddies so I can feel good about someone dying.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

dignin said:

Sure they where Evil doers and deserved to die anyway. Bastards. And so what if a few innocents get thrown in with the baddies so I can feel good about someone dying.
    I disagree. I think it's tragic that these two wasted 30 years of their life behind bars falsely accused and convicted.

The fact that these two innocent people were falsely convicted doesn't change my opinion that Clifford Olson deserved death for kidnapping, torturing and killing a dozen of our province's children though. Maybe if he hadn't nailed spikes into their heads while they were still alive I'd feel differently? I don't know.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

callen said:

dignin said:

I disagree. I think it's tragic that these two wasted 30 years of their life behind bars falsely accused and convicted.

The fact that these two innocent people were falsely convicted doesn't change my opinion that Clifford Olson deserved death for kidnapping, torturing and killing a dozen of our province's children though. Maybe if he hadn't nailed spikes into their heads while they were still alive I'd feel differently? I don't know.
    Agree ... I have no problem with DP in cases like that where its clear that are guilty ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I have only two problems with the Death Penalty.1.it takes too long to get to the punishment part of the sentence.2.The way we do it.
    Firing squad would be quicker,and more humane.Not that I care about the last part.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    rr165892 said:

I have only two problems with the Death Penalty.1.it takes too long to get to the punishment part of the sentence.2.The way we do it.
    Firing squad would be quicker,and more humane.Not that I care about the last part.

It only takes that long because they are allowed certain amounts of appeals to be sure we got he right guy. If it was sped up, we'd have murdered an excessive amount of innocent people.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

rr165892 said:

It only takes that long because they are allowed certain amounts of appeals to be sure we got he right guy. If it was sped up, we'd have murdered an excessive amount of innocent people.
    Jonny,I'm talking about after they have been convicted,and as stated earlier if DNA matches or video evidence are available.Those endless appeals trying to get off on technicalities is the problem.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Jonny,I'm talking about after they have been convicted,and as stated earlier if DNA matches or video evidence are available.Those endless appeals trying to get off on technicalities is the problem.
    It may sound crazy but neither video or DNA matches are always conclusive proof. If you and I get into an altercation caught on video at a gas station and I end up dead that afternoon is this proof? It may well be enough for a conviction, but it's hardly proof. Let's say I have a one night stand with a girl and when I leave, her BF murders her, is my DNA at the crime scene proof? Again, it's enough for a conviction but not to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Neither of these scenarios is far-fetched. I know of a case where a man was convicted of murder for "satanic" comics he had drawn. Art. Proof? No but enough to convince a jury. Hence the appeals process. We all get the same rights, not just those who SEEM more savory.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

It may sound crazy but neither video or DNA matches are always conclusive proof. If you and I get into an altercation caught on video at a gas station and I end up dead that afternoon is this proof? It may well be enough for a conviction, but it's hardly proof. Let's say I have a one night stand with a girl and when I leave, her BF murders her, is my DNA at the crime scene proof? Again, it's enough for a conviction but not to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Neither of these scenarios is far-fetched. I know of a case where a man was convicted of murder for "satanic" comics he had drawn. Art. Proof? No but enough to convince a jury. Hence the appeals process. We all get the same rights, not just those who SEEM more savory.
    I agree that DNA evidence isn't enough proof, and no, the kind of video evidence you mention isn't proof either. Video proof in my book would be clear video of the person actually committing the crime.
    But even then, don't punish murder with murder. And don't give your government permission to commit murder of a citizen in your own country under any circumstances.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

I agree that DNA evidence isn't enough proof, and no, the kind of video evidence you mention isn't proof either. Video proof in my book would be clear video of the person actually committing the crime.
    But even then, don't punish murder with murder. And don't give your government permission to commit murder of a citizen in your own country under any circumstances.
    I agree! Leave the passionate calls for "justice" (vengeance) in the trash can and work toward a peaceful mindset.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Ok,I get your points and they are valid.But take those two clowns who tied up and burned the family to death in Connecticut.A witnessed hideous crime,or the movie theatre shooter,or the Boston Bomber .Do all these humans deserve compassion ?What about their victims?Where they given a choice,or compassion?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rr165892 said:

Ok,I get your points and they are valid.But take those two clowns who tied up and burned the family to death in Connecticut.A witnessed hideous crime,or the movie theatre shooter,or the Boston Bomber .Do all these humans deserve compassion ?What about their victims?Where they given a choice,or compassion?

Compassion? Who said anything about compassion? Being opposed to the death penalty has nothing to do with compassion as far as I'm concerned, unless you mean compassion for the people who are innocent and sent to death row anyway. I have a lot of compassion for them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

They don't deserve compassion. But do we stoop to their level. Not in rational society. And rather have those ass hats live than take the chance of one innocent put to death.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Killing an individual in order to avenge another killing just smacks of a frontier justice that has never led to a decent, livable society. Even with those pesky "technicalities" (which help protect everyone's legal rights, including yours), does anyone really want the state to have a legal means to execute its citizens?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    when someone is caught red-handed guilty as clear as crystal spring water & they are a very dangerous bad little monster, off they go to fight some isis guys in cage matches. or like carlin said, gravy dipped & locked in a room w/ a wolverine on angel dust
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

Killing an individual in order to avenge another killing just smacks of a frontier justice that has never led to a decent, livable society. Even with those pesky "technicalities" (which help protect everyone's legal rights, including yours), does anyone really want the state to have a legal means to execute its citizens?

screw the state. private citizens or family members should have a go at some of these low lifes. it would cost the state nothing, it would cost bob $3.50 for a 50 caliber round or go cheaper, throw the maniac child serial predator off a cliff for free
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

screw the state. private citizens or family members should have a go at some of these low lifes. it would cost the state nothing, it would cost bob $3.50 for a 50 caliber round or go cheaper, throw the maniac child serial predator off a cliff for free
    Love it!!!
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Does a guy like Michael Rafferty seriously deserve better? He raped and killed beautiful little 8 year old Tori Stafford in as brutal fashion as possible.

... he joked and smirked as he chatted with a defence co-counsel, as if he had not a care in the world. And, of course, they knew nothing about his enthusiasm for child rape and other horrors because the Crown's evidence about his Internet interests was ruled inadmissible.

But the jury probably did notice his attire on one of the trial’s most unpleasant days, when pathologist Michael Pollanen detailed the frightful wounds inflicted on Tori, who was kidnapped, raped and beaten to death with a hammer. To the distress of Tori's relatives, seated at the front of the public gallery, Mr. Rafferty sported a crisp new purple shirt – Tori's favourite colour, and her family's emblem.

As the awful autopsy images were flashed on to the screen – Tori’s skull was cracked, 16 of her 24 ribs were broken by being stomped upon, and her liver was lacerated – he looked bored, and at one point yawned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/michael-raffertys-evil-defies-explanation/article4184526/

How awful of people to think this loser deserves death for his offence.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    chadwick said:

Life isn't actually a video game.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf