Options

Pearl Jam - Ole

Comments

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,800
    smobee wrote:
    Its yet to grab me. Not sure bout this one.

same here, but I said the same thing about "The Fixer"
  • Options
    Its got some great garage rock and Soundgarden influences going on. I'm down. Not every PJ tune has to be some dire protest song or spacy warbling ballad. Not that I don't like the dire protest songs and spacy warbling ballads. Not to mention that I still hear some political nods in this one as well.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    regalturbo wrote:
    For those complaining about this song, I don't really think it's meant to be taken too seriously - I think it's more about the band having fun. And it IS fun to listen to, I think.

BTW, "Whachug'say" is my new favorite 2 syllable word - I had no idea you could get 7 syllables down to 2.
    I sure hope you are right because Im having a real hard time taking this serious. I thinks its just the the whole Ole lyric and the way he sings it that I dont like. This really sounds like a Backspacer leftover. So im hoping it was taken from the EP that was supposed to come out a while back.

Yeah it could well be from there. I'm quickly developing a love / hate relationship with this song. Some listens I'm totally loving it - the energy is infectious. Other times it's highly irritating :lol:. I think I'll have to see where it ends up before I reach any real verdict
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    regalturbo wrote:
    For those complaining about this song, I don't really think it's meant to be taken too seriously - I think it's more about the band having fun. And it IS fun to listen to, I think.

BTW, "Whachug'say" is my new favorite 2 syllable word - I had no idea you could get 7 syllables down to 2.
    I sure hope you are right because Im having a real hard time taking this serious. I thinks its just the the whole Ole lyric and the way he sings it that I dont like. This really sounds like a Backspacer leftover. So im hoping it was taken from the EP that was supposed to come out a while back.

Yeah it could well be from there. I'm quickly developing a love / hate relationship with this song. Some listens I'm totally loving it - the energy is infectious. Other times it's highly irritating :lol:. I think I'll have to see where it ends up before I reach any real verdict
    I know what you mean. I think the music is decent, though im not high on punk influenced songs, but I dont like the lyrics and the way Vedder sings it. Just my IMO. I respect if people like it.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    its more of a chord progression than a melody... think they are ok here
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    This is like when THE FIXER came out. Some people digging it, some people don't.

I think it sounds like a bad mesh between The Fixer and Got Some. Def sounds like a Backspacer outtake. Plain and simple (in a bad way) lyrics, bad singing that can't keep up with the music that sounds like other stuff they done - but not better or more interesting.

If this would have been sung by 1994 Vedder.. maybe... and with better lyrics. Now. No.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,264
    Just listened to this song again.
    It's still terrible.

Music: Generic
    Lyrics: God awful

Mike's solo just doesn't even fit this song.
    The only thing close to being ok about this song is Jeff's bass work. Other than that, it sounds like a song I'd hear when I paid a $5 cover to see some shitty punk band play in a dive-bar....which I don't do....because that's a waste of $5.

I was talking about this song to a friend today (who thinks it's "ok"). I asked him, if he heard this song with someone other than Ed singing it a) would he like it and b) would he know it was Pearl Jam. Both answers were a big "no".

This is the kind of song I'd expect to hear on a x-mas single as a b-side or maybe a tongue-in-cheek joke in a live setting...not something played live on national TV.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    I love this song - I understand why people don't but I think a lot of people are taking it too seriously and analysing it waaaay to much. Especially in terms of whether or not it's on the album etc.
    regalturbo wrote:

completely agree with you there.^

To me, it's definitely in the "Big Wave, Supersonic" punky, fresh and fun song category of Pearl Jam.

It's fun, which is refreshing. It's upbeat, rocky and has some great lyrics (I like the light-heartedness of Ole! and the whole I-Don't-Give-A-F**k attitude)

It's only the first song too - one song that may/may not be on the album. I am just so happy for new music too - a real nice surpise, having it being released to us as a properly recorded single and not relying off of live versions.
  • Options
    Once again it's unbelievable that there's still people complaining even when it's free :shock:

no one is complaining about the cost. you can still have complaints about something that is free. i could kick you in the nuts for free and i'm pretty sure you would have some complaints.

i'm sick of everyone thinking that we should love and worship everything the band does, and if we don't we are some how ungrateful little c***s.

for the record, i don't think it's terrible. but it's not their best either.

Totally agree..

Jeremy
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    To the people that hate this song:

You probably hate Big Wave and Supersonic too because that's how this song is. It's fast hard punk with somewhat random lyrics and random music to fit...it's just a fun song. You guys probably were expecting a next Given To Fly or Wishlist. Now if you just don't like it then fine....I could care less but I say give it a try...After the third listen I was banging my head and jamming...love this song!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

You probably hate Big Wave and Supersonic too because that's how this song is. It's fast hard punk with somewhat random lyrics and random music to fit...it's just a fun song. You guys probably were expecting a next Given To Fly or Wishlist. Now if you just don't like it then fine....I could care less but I say give it a try...After the third listen I was banging my head and jamming...love this song!!! :mrgreen:
    Not really my friend. I like Supersonic, hate Big Wave though.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Just listened to this song again.
    It's still terrible.

Music: Generic
    Lyrics: God awful

Mike's solo just doesn't even fit this song.
    The only thing close to being ok about this song is Jeff's bass work. Other than that, it sounds like a song I'd hear when I paid a $5 cover to see some shitty punk band play in a dive-bar....which I don't do....because that's a waste of $5.

I was talking about this song to a friend today (who thinks it's "ok"). I asked him, if he heard this song with someone other than Ed singing it a) would he like it and b) would he know it was Pearl Jam. Both answers were a big "no".

This is the kind of song I'd expect to hear on a x-mas single as a b-side or maybe a tongue-in-cheek joke in a live setting...not something played live on national TV.

Just sayin'.

i would say the same about The Fixer. Shallow and simplistic punk that Eddies voice isn't fit for. Straight forward and "cheap" lyrics over generic music. At least he had fun with spin the black circle, great lyrics with Last Exit, some kind of flow with Big Wave and direct but working lyrics with Save You.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

Not really my friend. I like Supersonic, hate Big Wave though.

Well them maybe you haven't "Gotten " into this song yet......this song is better then Big Wave but not as good as Supersonic... ;)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I love this song - I understand why people don't but I think a lot of people are taking it too seriously and analysing it waaaay to much. Especially in terms of whether or not it's on the album etc.
    regalturbo wrote:

To me, it's definitely in the "Big Wave, Supersonic" punky, fresh and fun song category of Pearl Jam.

It's fun, which is refreshing. It's upbeat, rocky and has some great lyrics (I like the light-heartedness of Ole! and the whole I-Don't-Give-A-F**k attitude)

It's only the first song too - one song that may/may not be on the album. I am just so happy for new music too - a real nice surpise, having it being released to us as a properly recorded single and not relying off of live versions.

Well put. As has been said, reactions were exactly like this when the Fixer came out (although Ole seems to be pleasing more people than the fixer did at this stage). I guess it's inevitable that people are going to invest a lot of significance in the first new PJ song for quite a while. I think the song has its strengths (the ones you've pointed out), and I'm curious to see where it will end up
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Ehh, it's just rock n' roll. It's a pretty simple riff, probably been used a million times. I love Oasis, but like some others have said, they've done their fair share of borrowing. Besides, Noel and Liam are too busy fighting with each other to sue anyone else.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    regalturbo wrote:

Well put. As has been said, reactions were exactly like this when the Fixer came out (although Ole seems to be pleasing more people than the fixer did at this stage). I guess it's inevitable that people are going to invest a lot of significance in the first new PJ song for quite a while. I think the song has its strengths (the ones you've pointed out), and I'm curious to see where it will end up

Yes, I totally understand the mixed reactions. It's natural, it's human.
    Yes some people will like it and some won't. Some will hate it. I just hate how people feel the need to criticise each other's opinions of the song - if you like it, it's fine and acceptable and you're allowed. If you don't like, that's completely acceptable and allowed as well. Have your own opinion and let others have theirs.

I like it much better than The Fixer - to me, that song has a great message but it's relayed in one of the most stereotypical ways that a band could relay it.
    I hate to criticize music (especially technically and in terms of whether it's weak/strong) because it's all subjective - I can only pass my own judgement and have my own opinion, but I think The Fixer has some of Eddie's least creative/original lyrics. It doesn't scream Ed lyrics to me, or Pearl Jam lyrics - they always have this unique stamp on them and I don't get that from the song. Don't get me wrong, I like the song and I appreciate it. In terms of Backspacer, I think it fits really well and I always listen to it when I listen to the album as a whole but I don't love it as an individual song.

Ole to me is much more punkier, rockier, grittier and upbeat, in a really unique way. Yes it's kind of random. Ole when my life ends? Haha but it's not a deep lyrical song, it's fun. I just have so much love for it right now, it's a breath of fresh musical air.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    It's punk-driven. Punk is a type of music with an attitude in it, the kind of music that says i dont give a fuck about what you think. So there you all go. PJ doesn't give a fuck what you think of the song. :P

Nor does punk usually have a message in the lyrics. Typical punk music have lyrics that are repetitive! Like this one does.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It's punk-driven. Punk is a type of music with an attitude in it, the kind of music that says i dont give a fuck about what you think. So there you all go. PJ doesn't give a fuck what you think of the song. :P

Nor does punk usually have a message in the lyrics. Typical punk music have lyrics that are repetitive! Like this one does.

:thumbup:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Been listening to it for an hour straight. LOVE IT!!! Can we get some details about it??? Who wrote it? When and where was it recorded? Lyrics?

It's a Jeff song apparently. Check Mike's facebook page and he gives a few answers....http://www.facebook.com/mikemccreadypj
  • Options
    Rexkramer wrote:
    Been listening to it for an hour straight. LOVE IT!!! Can we get some details about it??? Who wrote it? When and where was it recorded? Lyrics?

It's a Jeff song apparently. Check Mike's facebook page and he gives a few answers....http://www.facebook.com/mikemccreadypj
    Wow, that one dude on his FB page really called them out.

• Options
    Rexkramer wrote:

Wow, that one dude on his FB page really called them out.
    I noticed that! And Mike didnt hold back either! Ah the internet....
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

it's just pj sayin' "hey bud, let's party"
    d7652c46-76a9-4f98-88ea-1d4e8ecdb6ab.jpg

woot
  • Options
    I'm missing something. I cannot find the link to download it...help a brotha out
  • Options
    Rexkramer wrote:

where does he say this? i looked on his facebook and found nothing except just about going on the show.

nevermind just seen it

very cool that jeff did it, another of his great songs IMO
  • Options
    The studio track I would give solid B- grade, but I like the vibe of the live performance, a B+ live song.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,945
    Jeanwah wrote:

Good summation, Jeanwah. I'm not crazy about "Ole", the song itself, but I'm wild about the attitude and the energy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 785
    I like it!
  • Options
    I'm a little underwelmed. It's ok. I love the production value though. It sounds awesome.
  • Options
    Rexkramer wrote:

Hey, I would like to... But Mike McReady never accepted me as a Facebook budy :( ;)

I like this song. It is punky. It is Ramones like... I just can not decipher the damn lyrics... Anybody has a clue?

More importantly: does this mean that there is going to be an album sooner than we expected???
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited September 2011
    Jeanwah wrote:

Here I do disagree; punk def. does have a political undertone... The whole movement was political... And what I *do* can decipher is: "stop the bloodshed". So my believe is, is that these lyrics are a bit deeper than we on a first glance would suspect...