Options

Pearl Jam - Ole

Comments

• Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Need to decipher the lyrics but from what I heard on the first pass I do not like them. The music kicks ass however. Love Mike's wail at the end there. I didn't like Got Some on first listen but absolutely loved it after hearing the studio version.

Pearl Jam has this weird ability to release something like that this and it doesn't sound like them at all, but then it does if that makes any sense.

Wow - 23 pages and all sorts of opinions on this song, so varied, interesting and hardcore opinions too. Rather like PJ itself, really. LOVE IT!!
  • Options
    I have been a ten club member for a decade and a fan for 20 years but it seems that threefish10 would like to quote one line of my first post. How typical. Find a way to draw attention away from the issue. It's not about "listening to the Ramones" (which you should should have already), it's about not being a douchebag (you were obviously not paying attention). My post did not address good or bad. It didn't tell anyone what to think. It said respect the music and your fellow fans and appreciate the fact that your favorite band has given you the media and platform to rejoice or complain. If you can't see that then f#@k off.

Ha. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I never said you personally said any of those things but others have. If you read my post I agreed with you and said we all don't like the same things. I also only used the 1st line of your post as it touched on negativity and I hate seeing long worded posts, it makes it hard to read, especially on my phone. But thanks for telling me how long you have been a ten club member and fan. I've been in the fan club for 12 years and a fan from the start too but that doesn't mean anything. A guy who joined last week is still a fan to me.

But thanks for proving my point about negativity.

My bad. I had about a two bottles of wine when I read your post and it rubbed me the wrong way. Totally detracts from my original post and there's no excuse. I apologize and know that I am paying for it now. Peace.
  • Options
    animusanimus Twin Cities area Posts: 530
    i was digging ole and still like it, but it seems a bit too close for comfort to the oasis song.
  • Options
    A thread about a new shit song from the guy who hates on Riot Act?? one of their BEST albums!!!

CHILD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Ole sounds like it belongs on Backspacer.....ok music & simple lyrics.....if it wasn't for recent songs like Better days I'd think Ed/they was losing his writing touch!!
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    rcs wrote:
    I've listened to this song about ten times now and this is my opinion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUyYace8318

:D

LMFAO!!!!! :clap:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    I think this song was written purely to get the crowd going during live shows. Who could resist shouting OLE!
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051

Ole sounds like it belongs on Backspacer.....ok music & simple lyrics.....if it wasn't for recent songs like Better days I'd think Ed/they was losing his writing touch!!

Of the Earth was rather lacking lyrically - they seem to be going for the slightly primal (charitable) or 'dumb' (uncharitable) approach these days. I liked this in the Fixer and Got Some - when it was a departure from the deep and meaningful - but I hope they don't carry on like this forever! There is still depth to be found in Fixer, Got Some, and Ole imo - but they all have a particular approach, an approach whose novelty will soon wear off I think
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    I keep thinking that this song is basically "2011's Got Some". Not saying thats a good or bad thing, just saying it is an uptempo song released on a late night show months before an official release.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I'd rather sing along to Olé than Balls In My Mouth... just sayin

Derechazo.jpg
    The direction of the eye; so misleading
    The defection of the soul; nauseously quick

I don't question our existence
    I just question our modern needs
  • Options
    animus wrote:
    i was digging ole and still like it, but it seems a bit too close for comfort to the oasis song.
    It has the same riff.. Tons of songs have similar riffs. There's only so many chords and combos you can do. Stuff will sound similar. The song is definitely not a rip off.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Gob wrote:
    animus wrote:
    It has the same riff.. Tons of songs have similar riffs. There's only so many chords and combos you can do. Stuff will sound similar. The song is definitely not a rip off.

Same, not similar. I can't say if it's an intentional ripoff, but a ripoff none the less. PJ did more with the rest of their tune, but there is no difference between the beginning of the tunes, snare drum and all.

Wonder if that has anything to do with it being free?
  • Options
    motamota Posts: 66
    i hope they put "of the earth", "better days" and "olé" on the new record, i like those songs
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    animus wrote:

Same, not similar. I can't say if it's an intentional ripoff, but a ripoff none the less. PJ did more with the rest of their tune, but there is no difference between the beginning of the tunes, snare drum and all.

I'm sure it wasn't intentional. I jammed with a band before and we worked out a song and then a buddy came an listened to us play it and realized it sounded a lot like some inxs song. we took a listen an it did, so we scrapped it. But this is just an example of what GOB said, there's only so many chords, but I still think its probably not a song for a record release. I just hope there's no legal b.s. that will follow this from Oasis and Co.because the intro is a lot alike to the Oasis tune. All in all, it's not a bad tune.
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I'm surprised by the amount of negativity on this thread. Hoping that it's a Backspacer leftover? Praying that its not a single? WTF?

I'm surprised by the amount of negativity towards the people who don't like it. Like you said not everyone is gonna like the same things. so why are the people who don't like it always treated like the bad guys and then told why they should like it, like the people who said things like "listen to a ramones album and you'll get it" or "it's suppose to be a fun song, just enjoy it"

Just because it's suppose to be a fun song doesn't mean everyone gonna love it, I'm sure the people who made the "barbie girl" song or that stupid shuffling song I keep hearing about said it's just a fun song, but I don't enjoy it and I'm sure a lot of other people don't as well.

I haven't seen anyone who doesn't like it saying anything negative to anyone who doesn't or trying to tell them why they shouldn't like it.

Negativity or not liking every thing pearl jam does is not a bad thing, or make you less of a fan then the next guy who loves it, so what's it really matter if some people don't like it or some do? But for people to be mad at some for not liking it is beyond me, and to me that's worse then the people saying it's not a good song.

And this is why I like you. 8-)

Backspacer pretty much sucked.
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    DewieCox wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    animus wrote:

What's the Oasis song?

I was thinking about Ole this morning - I've not listened to it since Friday and don't have any intention of hearing it again but I've decided to take this view of it now.....you can definitely hear it's a Jeff song and his punk influences are all over it. It does have that Got Some feel to it. Kinda a Got Some, Fixer & Supersonic threesome. Lyrically I've criticised it but with this type of song I don't think you will see any meaningful lyrics. Does this mean Ed's lyrics are going downhill? Not at all, just these type of lyrics suit this type of song.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    animus wrote:

What's the Oasis song?

The song is "The Meaning of Soul". Oasis won't mind a band sounding a little like them...they've never used another band's influence before (Lennon protests loudly from above). Is Ole a good song? It's new Pearl Jam and therefore qualifies as good on that premise. Is it a great Pearl Jam song? As with all of their songs there will be a time, a place where I will hear it blaring out of my stereo or earphones and will think "shit this is a great song".
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    the riff also sounds very similar to the new wilco song "i might" the PJ one is a lot faster though. loving the song though! Olé!!!
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    kevedder wrote:
    The song is "The Meaning of Soul". Oasis won't mind a band sounding a little like them...they've never used another band's influence before (Lennon protests loudly from above). Is Ole a good song? It's new Pearl Jam and therefore qualifies as good on that premise. Is it a great Pearl Jam song? As with all of their songs there will be a time, a place where I will hear it blaring out of my stereo or earphones and will think "shit this is a great song".

Ha ha so it does. I remember when the album 'Don't Believe The Truth' came out and thinking it was a return to form for them. Definitely their best album since "What's The Story Morning Glory".

As for "Ole", yes it does have the same riff. "The Meaning Of Soul" is a far better song though.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    PK1115PK1115 Posts: 113
    boyo79 wrote:
    kevedder wrote:

Ha ha so it does. I remember when the album 'Don't Believe The Truth' came out and thinking it was a return to form for them. Definitely their best album since "What's The Story Morning Glory".

As for "Ole", yes it does have the same riff. "The Meaning Of Soul" is a far better song though.

FYI- all of these songs are ripped from ccr's Proud Mary and sped up. Ole is way better and oasis is trash!
    They steal all the time. The way i c it, pj is stealin it back! Lol
    I admit this song had to grow on me. And dig deeper lyrically, theres more than meets the eye.
  • Options
    PK1115 wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    kevedder wrote:

FYI- all of these songs are ripped from ccr's Proud Mary and sped up. Ole is way better and oasis is trash!
    They steal all the time. The way i c it, pj is stealin it back! Lol
    I admit this song had to grow on me. And dig deeper lyrically, theres more than meets the eye.

I love CCR
  • Options
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    http://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-ole They have added a pic to use for the cover.
    Weary is the mind of one stuck in repetition
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    http://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-ole They have added a pic to use for the cover.

Cool, have a cover for my iTunes now! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Yeah that is what I did. I am borderline obsessive trying to have artwork for all things Pearl Jam. lol
    Weary is the mind of one stuck in repetition
  • Options
    I'm absolutely loving this song now after hearing it 15-20 times -- that seems to happen with me, ever since the beginning of this Band.

Can't wait to hear it in concert -- gonna be a GREAT live song for years to come.
  • Options
    Reminds me of an Oasis song called "The Meaning Of Soul" but of course 10 times better
  • Options
    Reminds me of an Oasis song called "The Meaning Of Soul" but of course 10 times better
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    One of their worst.

I feel bad being negative but I have to be honest. I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw it on Fallon. I felt almost....embarrassed.

It was so bad that I didn't even tell my brother (with whom I share all things Pearl Jam) about it because I didn't want to upset him :O

Sorry...

By the way, PJ20 book is mindblowing and can't wait to see the movie Saturday night!!
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    october22 wrote:
    One of their worst.

I feel bad being negative but I have to be honest. I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw it on Fallon. I felt almost....embarrassed.

It was so bad that I didn't even tell my brother (with whom I share all things Pearl Jam) about it because I didn't want to upset him :O

Sorry...

By the way, PJ20 book is mindblowing and can't wait to see the movie Saturday night!!
    I have to agree I'm afraid. I've given it enough listens now and it's not really at even the same standard of the less loved tunes of the past. It might just have sounded at home on Backspacer but for me that album is full of much better songs. It's not a disaster to write a bad song once in a while out of the hundreds of great ones. I agree about the book too.... jawdropping quality, I find it hard to put down.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    I hope that Ole is just a Backspacer outtake, and that it doesn't make it onto the next album. That's all I have to say about it :/