Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    EvieVedderEvieVedder NW Indiana Posts: 461
    I just bought presale tickets to the Vic in Chicago. I missed his last tour. So excited he's coming back to town. Anyone else headed to Chicago?
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293

I just bought presale tickets to the Vic in Chicago. I missed his last tour. So excited he's coming back to town. Anyone else headed to Chicago?

Just grabbed Chicago tickets. Glen puts on a great show. It will be fun to see him in a smaller venue like the Vic.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Snagged myself a pair of GA pit tickets for the Wiltern in Los Angeles.

My fingers are crossed for a Frames tour sometime in the near future.
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    Going to the vic.....I feel bad for glen today....we saw him in Minnesota last year. He told us great stories about seeing Prince the night before. You could tell he ment alot to him....then they played a killer version of ' the cross'. I hope he's doing okay today.
  • Options
    Does anyone think it is worth it to see Glen two nights in a row? His shows are great but I am not sure if he varies his setlist enough from night to night.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:

Does anyone think it is worth it to see Glen two nights in a row? His shows are great but I am not sure if he varies his setlist enough from night to night.

I think it's very worth it...I've see him many times back to back in different citys...never in the same venue (minus pj20 and when he opened for eddie). I've never had a bad time on the second night.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    PJ-Cubs said:

Seems like he doesn't switch things up all that much usually, from what i've read (and repeats stories, etc), but still, it's such a good show that 2 has to be better than one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ-Cubs said:

Seems like he doesn't switch things up all that much usually, from what i've read (and repeats stories, etc), but still, it's such a good show that 2 has to be better than one.
    I'm with PJ_Soul. When it's just Glen, without the band, he mixes it up quite a bit from night to night. With the band the set doesn't change a whole lot from one show to the next, but it's SO good it's definitely worth it.

Have you seen him before?
    grace and peace
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    This tour is a very different set up than previous tours so it's likely a lot of things will change up night to night. I saw two shows he did this past weekends X they couldn't have been more different.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Front row in Toronto! Can't wait :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209

This tour is a very different set up than previous tours so it's likely a lot of things will change up night to night. I saw two shows he did this past weekends X they couldn't have been more different.

That's awesome! I can't wait for September!
    grace and peace
  • Options
    samsonite said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ-Cubs said:

I'm with PJ_Soul. When it's just Glen, without the band, he mixes it up quite a bit from night to night. With the band the set doesn't change a whole lot from one show to the next, but it's SO good it's definitely worth it.

Have you seen him before?
    I have seen Glen probably 9 times (4 times opening for EV) - both with the full band and solo.

Glad to hear that he will mix the shows up for this tour.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    https://youtu.be/_leaH3gGrfw

I was there that night....this was so amazing.

Glen covering Prince....thanks to who posted this.
    Post edited by Mikeo on
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

I'm way out of the loop - what's different about this tour's setup?
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    Just got the Lowly Deserter EP box set from that Italian label.

Man O' Man is it a fine piece of work

Will try to post pics
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

I'm way out of the loop - what's different about this tour's setup?

Totally stripped back. Glen with guitars and piano, Joe on standup bass, Ruth on keys and the three girls on strings.

Totally different than the big band set up of the last few tours but better as it relates far more to the album being much more stripped back.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Sounds fantastic! Hopefully I'll catch one of the shows...
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    jjflash said:
    Thank you! I enjoyed the read.
  • Options
    you guys should listen to this..Glen curated a concert called Imagning Home, part of the 1916 centenary celebrations here in Ireland...Glen plays and marketa and a number of other musicians poets and writers..its a brilliant and powerful couple of hours. youll be glad you listened..
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9:10551757:22376:02-04-2016:
  • Options
    WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 563
    Anybody know if he's playing at Carnegie Hall in September? I got this emailed to me, but haven't been able to find much other info about it: http://www.songkick.com/concerts/26842914-glen-hansard-at-carnegie-hall
  • Options
    WM31482 said:

Anybody know if he's playing at Carnegie Hall in September? I got this emailed to me, but haven't been able to find much other info about it: http://www.songkick.com/concerts/26842914-glen-hansard-at-carnegie-hall

Oh WOW! I hope that's true. If any building was built for Glen's voice...
  • Options

WM31482 said:

Oh WOW! I hope that's true. If any building was built for Glen's voice...
    Confirmed

Tickets Friday
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604

Just got the Lowly Deserter EP box set from that Italian label.

Man O' Man is it a fine piece of work

Will try to post pics

Anyone else order this? I ordered back in April (or May) and haven't heard anything. Sent them an email and they haven't responded. That was a couple of weeks ago. I just ordered the EP.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    So excited for the Ann Arbor show. Glen shows are some of my favorite things in the world.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    He had one of my favorite sets in Newport. Even got some help from Elvis Costello.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

So excited for this. And so is Glen of course. Going to be an incredible night.

Hope this turns into a live album or DVD
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    samjam said:

So excited for the Ann Arbor show. Glen shows are some of my favorite things in the world.

Stoked for this show too...
    One week from tomorrow!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    As I mentioned over on The Porch, I have tickets to see him out here in San Diego in a few weeks. I couldn't get to the Carnegie Hall show (just moved, NJ -> San Diego), but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Glen and the *awesome* Colm Mac Con Iomaire, who is opening (here, not at Carnegie Hall). Hmm. I think Colm needs his own thread; I don't think I made one before.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 631
    Just got tickets today for Carnegie Hall on Wed.! Can't wait!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03