How to cope with fear of flying

PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Subject pretty much sums it all up. I've flown a couple times and it's not bad but I dread it. I think my problem is that since I'm not in control of the plane, I freak out that something is going to go wrong and I'll be screwed. I know it's the safest method of transportation but that doesn't help. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the flight to PJ20. If I weren't already on anxiety medicine, I'd be a mess. So to those who fear flying, what do you do to help stay calm?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Pray the entire time.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Valium
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • drugs and alcohol...no joke
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    don't look down
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Used to be a wreck when flying.
    Would go back and forth from LA to VT 4-5 times per year when I was in college. This was way prior to 9/11 and all of the flight rule changes.
    Determined after a few 'legs' that the only way to calm down was massive amount of booze.

After I finished college I had a job that saw me flying weekly to different cities around the country. Continued my practice of getting totally shit hammered prior to every long flight. After a while it just got easier. A year or so of that and I was fine with it.

Do I love flying today? Nope, but I do it.

I would say pound out 4-5 vodka drinks in the hour prior to getting on the plane. Have 1-2 on the plane. Enjoy your sleep.

If you dont like to drink get some vicodin or something of that ilk. Take 2 and just have 1 drink. Enjoy your sleep.

;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Quinn427Quinn427 Posts: 60
    Irrational fears are my biggest pet peeve of all time. I wish people were not such huge pussies.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Quinn427 wrote:
    Irrational fears are my biggest pet peeve of all time. I wish people were not such huge pussies.

This may be the most ignorant post I have read on this board in a while. :thumbdown:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,954
    DS1119 wrote:
    Quinn427 wrote:

This may be the most ignorant post I have read on this board in a while. :thumbdown:
    25 posts in 5 years? casual fan at best.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    Quinn427 wrote:

you missed the "great" posts this AM. those were pretty good. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Xanax works for me. And I have a friend who's really afraid to fly and she always tell the flight attendant and because they're trained, they have always been super nice to her. Sometimes they keep her busy, like she helps them hand out pillows or peanuts.
  • Whatever you do, don't watch Cast Away with Tom Hanks before you fly.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Quinn427 wrote:

That is what I feel like when I am on the plane and we hit some turbulence and I start sweating. Statistically it is so much safer than driving....

That is kinda why they are irrational fears -- I would imagine that we all have them!
    I've heard this book helps people:
    bk_fear-of-flying_erica-jong.jpg
  • Whatever you do, don't watch Cast Away with Tom Hanks before you fly.

:lol:

Or 'Fearless' with Jeff Bridges. (Just the one sequence in the air fucking haunted me after seeing that!)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,954
    Whatever you do, don't watch Cast Away with Tom Hanks before you fly.

:lol:

Or 'Fearless' with Jeff Bridges. (Just the one sequence in the air fucking haunted me after seeing that!)
    instead watch La Bamba!! Thats a good one. Ooooh or Airport '75!!!! Even better preflight entertainment.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I get so annoyed with all of the pre flight crap that once I'm actually in my seat it's a relief.... My biggest pet peeve is when the toilet paper roll is on the holder the wrong way.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

and whatever you do, DON'T Look out the window onto the wing!

Terror2.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Lizard wrote:
    and whatever you do, DON'T Look out the window onto the wing!

Terror2.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    There just is no such thing as an irrational fear. If someone fears something it's real to them. Anyone with an anxiety disorder knows this. Those fears not only mess with your mind but your body fully responds as well (increased heart rate, breathing rate, etc.).
  • when the nice lady with the cart comes around i always buy two vodkas. sets me good and straight
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • I listen to given to fly just before take off and it relaxes me. a shot or too is also part of the ritual. :D
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    Put on your headphones, close your eyes and listen to your favourite music while you see nice dreams.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Oceanic Flight 815, from Sydney to LAX, was a good flight too :D
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Quinn427 wrote:

25 posts in 5 years? casual fan at best.

Are you afraid to get in a car? That's what I thought. There is no reason to be afraid of flying. It's like being afraid of spiders if you live in the northwest. They can't kill you. Stop being afraid of stupid shit.

And as to the causual fan quote. I have been to 10 shows, I have every poster from the shows I have been to. I have all albums on vinyl. Just because I don't resond to the stupid bull shit on this board doesn't mean shit.

Up to 26 posts now....two in one day.
    marcos wrote:
    Oceanic Flight 815, from Sydney to LAX, was a good flight too :D

Now that is funny
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I recently took a trip and had to fly - its been several yrs and I was scared to death....

I sat next to a guy who talked to me the entire trip and I lost track of time, :D

I also took Dramamine and chewed Ginger gum the entire time ( helps with motion sickness )
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Take acid
    I'll be back
    Quinn427 wrote:
    Are you afraid to get in a car? .

Actually there are people who are afraid to get in a car. There's also people afraid of boats, heights, the dark. There's even people who are afraid to leave the house. Please don't make fun and minimize someone's fears.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    DS1119 wrote:
    There's also people afraid of the dark.
    You reminded me this great quote: We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light. --- Plato
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024