Options

Natalie Merchant

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    The one and only Natalie Merchant did it again! :D

Free children's orchestral concert in Las Vegas

Natalie and book illustrator, Barbara McClintock's visit to a New York City public school

This summer Natalie will be appearing with the following orchestras:

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Detroit, MI

Saturday, July 13, 2013 - Columbus Symphony, Columbus, OH

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - Hudson Valley Philharmonic, Bethel, NY

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - Hudson Valley Philharmonic, Great Barrington, MA

Please see the website calendar (http://www.nataliemerchant.com/calendar) for more information and to purchase tickets.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    YES !!!! Natalie has done it again !!!! thanks Pap for sharing this info :D

2,600 children show up to this free concert - just incredible....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Several new orchestral shows have been added for the coming months that we would like to announce, including a very special event in New York City at Carnegie Hall on Saturday, April 26, 2014.

As part of Carnegie Hall's Family Concert Series, Natalie will perform music from her Leave Your Sleep picture book with a small chamber orchestra. There will be an opportunity to meet Natalie and the book's illustrator, Barbara McClintock, at a rare signing following the performance.

Here is a current list of her upcoming orchestral shows:

Friday, October 4, 2013 - New Jersey Symphony, Red Bank, NJ

Friday, October 18, 2013 - Alabama Symphony Orchestra, Birmingham, AL

Saturday, November 2, 2013 - Louisville Orchestra, Louisville, KY

Friday, November 15, 2013 and Saturday, November 16, 2013 - Tulsa Symphony, Tulsa, OK

Saturday, January 11, 2014 - Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra, Jacksonville, FL

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra, Miami, FL

Saturday, January 25, 2014 - Fort Collins Symphony Orchestra, Fort Collins, CO

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - Fort Collins Symphony Orchestra, Colorado Springs, CO

Saturday, March 8, 2014 - Virginia Symphony Orchestra, Newport News, VA

Saturday, March 22, 2014 - New Jersey Symphony Chamber Orchestra, Morristown, NJ
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    She's going to release a new album (self-titled) on May 6th!

Giving Up Everything is the first track to be released in advance of the release date.

Strangely beautiful! ^:)^
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    ^^^ Great! Will watch for that one! Thanks for the heads up. :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Just saw her at a college radio station benefit a few weeks ago, she played songs from the new album and they sounded great! And she stopped the show at one point and gave a great rant (it was in good spirit and funny, not whiney at all even though this may sound like it) and yelled at all the people spending the show recording with smart phones instead of actually listening and watching. She started collecting smartphones and by the end of the small show (it was a tiny venue) there was a funny line of smartphones on the stage, everyone's penance for not being able to break their camera phone addictions LOL! It was very funny.

Will be nice to check out the new album!
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    The 10000 Maniacs' Like The Weather is one of my favorite songs ever. Natalie Merchant is great.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    I love that little moment on the 10,000 Maniacs live record where at the end of one the songs this guy yells out,

NATALIE!

Coulda been me if I'd been there! :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JH6056 said:

Just saw her at a college radio station benefit a few weeks ago, she played songs from the new album and they sounded great! And she stopped the show at one point and gave a great rant (it was in good spirit and funny, not whiney at all even though this may sound like it) and yelled at all the people spending the show recording with smart phones instead of actually listening and watching. She started collecting smartphones and by the end of the small show (it was a tiny venue) there was a funny line of smartphones on the stage, everyone's penance for not being able to break their camera phone addictions LOL! It was very funny.

Will be nice to check out the new album!

Nice little story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Options
    No problem, happy to share! There was another brief funny moment... since it was a fundraiser for a radio station, they would have Natalie play a few songs and then stop and interview her for a few minutes, then more songs, then a few more questions. In one break they talked about the new album and she mentioned she was excited about it, and a few people yelled out supportive comments. Then people kept yelling and she said something like "You have a lot to say, what are you saying?" which then turned into people making requests for older songs. They did this for a few moments and then Natalie interrupted them and said "Which part of "WE HAVE A **NEW** ALBUM COMING OUT" did you not understand?? We're playing NEW songs! Did I say it was time for requests??" But again, she said it in a really funny way, so everyone did laugh.

The new songs sounded really good!

In other news, since this is a thread about her, her music and 10,000 Maniacs have been on my mind a lot lately, and because the story I'm about to tell remains one of my most intense live music experiences ever, a million years ago I was so so so very lucky to be able to be in the audience for the taping of VH1's Storytellers on Natalie and 10,000 Maniacs. It was amazing all around. But the most intense moment was when she did "What's the Matter Here", and she got so. totally. into it. She was singing and sobbing and so very emotional... that after it was done they decided to have them play it again and get a somewhat less raw version. I felt incredibly lucky to have seen just how deeply she cares about that issue and how she really channelled the song in that moment, it was super duper intense. Made me respect her even more than I already did, and I respected her a lot. So if you have that taped, I think the broadcasted version is pretty emotional as well, but know that there was an even more intense version played before it!
  • Options
    ^^^ Great story, JH6056. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    :)
  • Options
    Natalie Merchant: New Album Released Today!‏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4iXjbWqDQ
  • Options
    SUMMER TOUR BEGINS

Natalie's summer tour in support of her new album begins tonight in Upstate New York and will take her to various cities throughout the Northeast and Midwest. She will be premiering songs from the new album as well as playing songs from her previous albums. She will be joined on stage by a band made up of eight musicians including: Gabriel Gordon (guitar), Uri Sharlin, (piano & accordion), Jesse Murphy (bass), Allison Miller (drums & percussion), Scot Moore (violin), Stanley Moore (cello), Shawn Moore (violin), and Marandi Hostetter (viola). Tickets are still available for several shows.

TOUR DATES

July 5
    The Mahaiwe Theatre
    GREAT BARRINGTON, MA
    TICKETS

July 6
    Ridgefield Playhouse
    RIDGEFIELD, CT
    TICKETS

July 8
    State Theater
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    TICKETS

July 9
    American Music Theatre
    LANCASTER, PA
    TICKETS

July 11
    Keswick Theatre
    GLENSIDE, PA
    TICKETS

July 12
    Lincoln Theatre
    WASHINGTON, DC
    TICKETS

July 13
    Lincoln Theatre
    WASHINGTON, DC
    TICKETS

July 15
    Flynn Center for the Performing Arts
    BURLINGTON, VT
    TICKETS

July 16
    Shubert Theatre
    BOSTON, MA
    TICKETS

July 18
    State Theatre
    PORTLAND, ME
    TICKETS

July 19
    Tarrytown Music Hall
    TARRYTOWN, NY
    TICKETS

July 20
    Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center
    WESTHAMPTON BEACH, NY
    TICKETS

July 22
    Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead
    MUNHALL, PA
    TICKETS

July 24
    Chicago Theatre
    CHICAGO, IL
    TICKETS

July 25
    The Pabst Theater
    MILWAUKEE, WI
    TICKETS
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    UK PRESS

Natalie's trip to London was a great success and both the album and her concerts yielded overwhelmingly positive responses.

'There is something quietly magnificent about her vocal presence, always perfectly set in unshowy arrangements that blend organic instrumentation with sombre yet luxurious orchestral shading'.
    - Daily Telegraph, CD of the Week

'One of the most beautiful and distinctive voices in the whole of rock and pop music'.
    - Bob Harris, BBC

'Merchant is in terrific form. The self-produced album is a confident and thoughtful affair, with lyrics that cleverly mix the personal with the political and exquisite arrangements, from the rich orchestration on opener 'Ladybird', to the stripped-back Americana of 'Texas'. However proficient the music, it is Merchant's mature, versatile voice that steals the show'.
    - The Times

'Almost two decades as a solo artist have produced only five albums. Still, while Merchant lacks quantity, quality isn't an issue and her sixth album is by turns thoughtful, moving and fiercely intelligent. There's wisdom and loveliness to spare'.
    - Q Magazine

'Merchant's first album of original recordings in 13 years is a stonker. An adult pleasure'.
    - Mojo

'It is 13 years since Merchant released an album of original material and this striking offering suggests she hasn't lost her mojo over that lengthy hiatus'.
    - Irish Independent

'Natalie Merchant remains a singular talent'.
    - Irish Times
    Post edited by Pap on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TALK TO US ABOUT TIGERLILY

2015 will mark the 20th year since the release of Natalie’s first solo album, TIGERLILY. To celebrate the occasion, she plans to recreate the album with entirely new arrangements. In addition, a documentary film is being made as part of this 20th anniversary. The directors will be at select venues this summer with cameras to capture footage of fans speaking about the album and how it impacted them. You can also participate by writing your impressions to contact@nataliemerchant.com and arrangements will be made to film the most compelling submissions in August and September.

What a great idea Natalie! *-:) =D>
    Post edited by Pap on
  • Options
    Natalie has created a new music video for her song "Lulu" cut to the classic silent film "Pandora's Box" (1929), starring American actress and cultural icon Louise Brooks. The song, featured on Natalie's new album, is based upon the actress's turbulent life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYRyD-_iyQw
  • Options
    Old news but always very important:

SHELTER: A CONCERT FILM TO BENEFIT VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Natalie has directed a documentary entitled SHELTER: A Concert Film to Benefit Victims of Domestic Violence that features a group of women living in the Mid-Hudson region of New York State responding to the crisis of domestic violence in their community. Musicians, advocates, criminal prosecutors, victims and survivors all take to the stage, illuminating the darkness surrounding this public health epidemic. SHELTER was inspired by an event for One Billion Rising, a global campaign, initiated by Eve Ensler, calling for an end to violence against women, held annually on February 14th.

Merchant said of the film: "Last year, I attended a local One Billion Rising event near my home in the Hudson Valley. Upon entering, I was confronted by life-sized cardboard female figures, each with a name of a woman, the town where she had lived and the date on which she was murdered by her intimate partner. Fourteen women killed in twelve years. One of the victims had been a neighbor of mine but I had not been aware of her death. My blood chilled. How could be a member of this community in good standing and not respond to this outrage. As the day progressed, I met directors of local shelters, prosecutors, police officers and survivors. I began to envision a follow-up event in which all these phenomenal advocates could be recognized for their work. I wanted to help them present to a larger audience this little understood and rarely discussed public health crisis in our region, in our world that is domestic violence".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CXRpZ29Mo
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Pap said:

Natalie Merchant: New Album Released Today!‏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4iXjbWqDQ

WOW - just incredible.... I forgot about her new album being released and thank you for the reminder. What a beautiful voice and woman she is. The gray hair coming thru and yet looks so perfect on her.... ( just my opinion ) ...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Thanks for posting the new show dates...hope more will be added!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    greenmindgreenmind Posts: 34
    i love her. everything since 'secrets of the i ching'. i guess you've heard her cover of 'long road' with michael stipe?
    take a teenage riot to get me outta bed right now...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    greenmind said:

i guess you've heard her cover of 'long road' with michael stipe?

:-O I didn't know about that... Thank you!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHmDUdTZGk
    =P~
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    greenmind said:

i love her. everything since 'secrets of the i ching'. i guess you've heard her cover of 'long road' with michael stipe?

And of course Campfire Song (is that the one?) from Blind Man's Zoo with Michael Stipe. Also this one, probably one of my fave songs of them two...

"To Sir, With Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUIMYvLOJ0Q
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    WOW...
    that brought back some GREAT memories!!!
    And I have to admit....
    a few tears as well!!
    I have GOT to own this album...
    and sure hope she hits the road for a tour to support the "new" album!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Glad you liked it! There are some great videos on youtube... I just spent an hour I should have been working getting ALL KINDS of nostalgic :)
  • Options
    derbydave said:

hope she hits the road for a tour to support the "new" album!!

Tour & Film Screenings