Options

Worst Show of The Tour.... Guesses

wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Which show , aside from bonnaroo , do you believe will have the weakest setlist/ weakest show ??
Who will get the shaft? and why
back to back, first show, travel, strain, venue, city....etc....
give reasons

don't give me that "every pj show is great" crap

we all know that some sets are better than other (some sets mothers are better than other sets mothers...)

let me hear from ya america
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Both MSG's. :)
  • Options
    Why would anyone really want to consider that whatever show(s) they are going to could be on the weak side? Wait till they've happened to analyze them.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Why would anyone really want to consider that whatever show(s) they are going to could be on the weak side? Wait till they've happened to analyze them.

that is like waiting to give birth before giving up heroin
    or something...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,020
    Which show , aside from bonnaroo , do you believe will have the weakest setlist/ weakest show ??
    give reasons

we all know that some sets are better than other (some sets mothers are better than other sets mothers...)

Why do you always have to be so negative on here?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,107
    give reasons

whatever show you're going to... way to be a downer..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    look holmes, it is a simple question
  • Options
    and i'm just kidding around..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    and i'm just kidding around..

thanks bro

screen name = singles reference
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Washington DC, Virginia, and Hartford are most likely to be not as good.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    thanks bro

screen name = singles reference

how observant of you.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I think they will all be good

for one they haven't played the south in 5 years..so they will do their best to make up for the wait..the bigger city shows are always good anyway.

You know whats funny though is they could go to Va Beach and play a 24 song setlist of all hits and throw in 'No Way' and everyone on here will be jizzin over how great a setlist it was and how great a show was.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    give reasons

Every show is unique in it's own way.
  • Options
    Every show is unique in it's own way.

Yeah, some are unique in that they aren't as good.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I think they will all be good

for one they haven't played the south in 5 years..so they will do their best to make up for the wait..the bigger city shows are always good anyway.

You know whats funny though is they could go to Va Beach and play a 24 song setlist of all hits and throw in 'No Way' and everyone on here will be jizzin over how great a setlist it was and how great a show was.

great post
    that is the type of thoughtful response i was fishing for
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Yeah, some are unique in that they aren't as good.

Well what is a good show for you?

It's different for everybody and come on they always put on a great show. Is it a bad show cause you didn't get to hear a certain you wanted to hear. A good show for me is when they don't play Last Kiss. LOL
  • Options
    Well what is a good show for you?

a complete absence of the first two albums and that last POS album

random selections, tagged heavily, from albums 3-7 with some lost dogs & b sides
  • Options
    A good show is a dynamic show, a show that brings you on a journey.

1. Start off with a bang, playing really rockin songs
    2. Ease it down a little, play some more laid back songs, a few rarities
    3. Bring it back up for the end of the set
    4. Finish off with a bang (like Rearviewmirror or Porch)

Encore:
    1. Start off with some very quiet songs, acoustic
    2. Do some more rarities, slowly building up again
    3. End with a bang

(Possible 2nd totally hard rock Encore)

That is the structure of many of their shows but sometimes it doesn't work based on the song choices. And sometimes they don't even stick to that structure and just go all out and play hard stuff the whole night (they do that a lot at the outdoor amphitheater shows, and at festivals, mostly because of the environment and what people are expecting).

A good example of a good show for me is 7-10-06 LA Forum.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    you know what though, arguably the best show of the 2006 tour didn't have a spectacular setlist. San Diego's setlist was decent at best, but I think it was the best show because of Ed's interactions and how well the show was played. That show is often regarded as the best of the 06 tour (myself included) but it really only contained 2 'epic' songs- if you wanna call them that- Leash and Crown of Thorns. I think Grand Rapids and even Cleveland may have had better setlists.

Plus, Grand Rapids was the smallest town on the 2006 tour and still produced a great show so you can't always go by that.

Also, Cleveland was the night after Grand Rapids and Cleveland was a top 5 show from the 2006 tour so travel isn't always something you can measure..as I rate:

1. San Diego
    2. Albany
    3. Boston 2
    4. Cleveland
    5. Grand Rapids
  • Options
    I chose to go to the Virginia Beach show because it is the last they are doing with KOL. If there is any chance for a KOL sighting during the 2nd encore it will be at Va. Beach. I'm holding out hope Caleb knows the song Hunger Strike.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    a complete absence of the first two albums and that last POS album

random selections, tagged heavily, from albums 3-7 with some lost dogs & b sides

if you judge a show solely by the setlist (which you are) then that's just weak...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    you know what though, arguably the best show of the 2006 tour didn't have a spectacular setlist. San Diego's setlist was decent at best, but I think it was the best show because of Ed's interactions and how well the show was played. That show is often regarded as the best of the 06 tour (myself included) but it really only contained 2 'epic' songs- if you wanna call them that- Leash and Crown of Thorns. I think Grand Rapids and even Cleveland may have had better setlists.

I agree. Setlists (in terms of what songs are actually there) are not what make a show a good show. It's just the way in which the songs are arranged that can make a show spectacular. A lot of people look at a setlist and say "oh man that show is AMAZING!" when really a lot of the time I've found that these shows aren't always as good. It all depends on how everyone in the band is feeling at the time.

One night, playing in a city that isn't as major, they might just make an average setlist, but wind up going out and making it work perfectly because of how they're playing. Then the next night they might play the Gorge and, therefore, create a masterful setlist full of rarities and goodies, and go out and turn in a not-so-good show just because they aren't as on.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    One of the bigger Pearl Jam cities got one of the worst shows in 2006 IMO- Toronto first night... not that many songs, nothing that great, just played..

so again you never know when and where a epic show will come about
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I disagree with you guys. Although you make an excellent point ~ a set list alone does not determine if a show is great or not. BUT, the songs that are played form a big part of how good a show it, along with all of the other factors that have been mentioned. Take the Toronto 05 show for example - what a BORING set list. I don't care how much emotion the band put in to that show or how they chose to arrange the songs that were played, that show sucked. And it sucked because of the setlist.

I don't know, that setlist has a lot of potential, I think. Due to the short encores, the band was most likely just not feeling it very much that night. There's a possibility they had some kind of internal problem also, like someone was sick or drank/smoked too much or something. Maybe everyone was in a bad mood, who knows. That's the way it goes.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    everyone is so damn picky. saying that some shows "sucked" is just BS. you expect too much. hartford '06 is widely considered to be one of their mediocre to below average shows, and while it isn't one of my standout favorites, i had a great freaking time there.

for those of you who said a particular show sucked, do you actually mean you had a bad time? i could never say that about any pearl jam show i've ever been to. i have a great time at them all, even the one with the "shitty setlist." an example of a show sucking is dave matthews. i actually had a bad time. was bored out of my mind and the only thing on my mind is when is this peice of shit over. don't tell me that's how you feel about any PJ shows? come on now...
  • Options
    Dude, if a show sucked it sucked. I expect some shows to suck, that's how it is with every band. And, every once in a while, a band will have a show that REALLY REALLY sucks (where it's actually very noticeable to the audience). I don't think Pearl Jam has had one of those in years but it does happen.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    thunderDAN wrote:

Plus, Grand Rapids was the smallest town on the 2006 tour and still produced a great show so you can't always go by that.

Also, Cleveland was the night after Grand Rapids and Cleveland was a top 5 show from the 2006 tour so travel isn't always something you can measure..as I rate:

1. San Diego
    2. Albany
    3. Boston 2
    4. Cleveland
    5. Grand Rapids

Im liustening to that boot right now, and it probably is the best, but only 2 "epic" songs? Oceans is easily the most epic song they played the entire tour. not to mention brain of J, long road, and big wave which usually isnt played.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Dude, if a show sucked it sucked. I expect some shows to suck, that's how it is with every band. And, every once in a while, a band will have a show that REALLY REALLY sucks (where it's actually very noticeable to the audience). I don't think Pearl Jam has had one of those in years but it does happen.
    oh really? if a show sucked it sucked? thanks.

you failed to address the question. have you actually had a bad time at a pearl jam show?
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Washington DC, Virginia, and Hartford are most likely to be not as good.
    wrong, they seem to make extra efforts when they play in smaller town/shitholes (in the last 2 years: Newcastle, Grand Rapids, Marseille, Dusseldorf)

those are likely to be the best shows, even if MSG is the most hyped...hype = disappointment
  • Options
    snipes824 wrote:
    oh really? if a show sucked it sucked? thanks.

you failed to address the question. have you actually had a bad time at a pearl jam show?

i have

birmingham 03

cold, short show & greatest hits
  • Options
    i have

birmingham 03

cold, short show & greatest hits

Set 1 Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Even Flow, Daughter, Better Man, Not For You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, You Are, Thumbing My Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Animal, Do The Evolution
    Encore 1 Last Kiss, Black, Alive
    Encore 2 Soldier Of Love, Leaving Here, Yellow Ledbetter

yyawn