Options

Problems explaing PJ to the girlfriend?

124»

Comments

• Options
    lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
    What's your problem with Incubus?

That's what I was wondering. Brandon is a good writer...ok singer.

But, I have the same problem with the Mrs. She gives me the same I don't care smile and nod. But, she loves me...and she listens to good tunes. So, I can't really fault her that she doesn't have the extra little bit of cool that I do. But, maybe one day it will happen.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    mishmoshmishmosh Posts: 47
    CityMouse wrote:
    when I read "either Simpson sister" I literally thought:

"what wrong with Maggie and Lisa?"

me too!?!?!
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    5against1- wrote:
    backpacking a kayaking which is hard to find in a female. Nickelback is embarrassing though:)

haha really??? I backpack and kayak and I'm always pissed that it's always all women!
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    5against1- wrote:
    Um because even though i love the band there are other things out their that make us click. We do alot of backpacking a kayaking which is hard to find in a female. Nickelback is embarrassing though:)

plus it's not just about loving the band, it's like being a certain type of person. I can't explain it. I'm saying you have to be with someone who loves pearl jam, but what are THEIR passions, what makes THEM interesting to you? and conversely, does your passion for PJ inspire THEM? Do they love that about you? that's what I'm talking about...many people are just boring and none of this applies, yet people still date them...beyond my understanding.
  • Options
    It's taken me 7 years to break in my hubby... He still doesn't know who Ed Vedder is LMAO!!!
    Up here so high I start to shake...
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest...
    Just like my innocence...
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    If I was single the first thing I would ask a girl would be:

Do you like Bon Jovi?
    Do you like Nickleback?
    Do you like Green Day?
    Do you like Kid Rock?
    Do you like Puffy Daddy Diddy P Flash Master (or whatever his name is this week)?
    Do you like Keane West?
    Do you like Lil Wayne?
    Do you like Daughtry?
    Do you like Good Charlotte?
    Do you like either Simpson sister?
    Do you like My Chemical Romance?
    Do you like Paris Hilton?
    Do you like Lifehouse?
    Do you like Creed?
    Do you like The Pussycat Dolls?
    Do you like Usher?
    Do you like Snoop Doggy Dog?
    Do you like Justin Timberlake?

If she answered yes to any of these, I would round house kick her and leave.

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, your list made me shudder!! I can proudly say that I would answer NO to ALL of those!

I know the guys here say it's hard to find PJ chicks/chicks with good taste in music, but as one, I feel like it's harder the other way around... I've even met some guys lately who don't listen to ANY music at ALL. Someone please tell me how one could go through life without feeling the passion of at lease SOME kind of music????? I literally need it to stay alive!
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    this is why i always hang out with fellow jammmers. i love being able to tell my husband of different friends who see even more shows than me, etc....works like a charm. ;) well that and he accompanies me for some and is basically an understanding man, who yes....is a fellow musician with excellent taste in music, even if he doesn't totally embrace/get my pearl jam obsession. all you can ask/hope for eh.....mutual respect for your passions and loves....:D
    :D Absolutely. I don't have to say anything... let the other nuts do the talking and I can roll my eyes behind their back and say 'oh my god they're seriously obsessed... never shut up about PJ' and then when he turns around I'm grinning smugly to myself :) and then when we leave he'll ask me questions and I say 'oh must we REALLY talk about PJ? I'm sick of hearing it all night' so of course this form of 'playing hard to get' makes him way more interested. He absolutely LOVES the into the wild cd and he asks me to put it on so of course I always do but kinda say 'oh shouldn't we listen to Bruce or something instead'? and he'll look at me and go 'please' and I 'give in' so he thinks he's got his way. Don't ya just love mind games? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    If I was single the first thing I would ask a girl would be:

Do you like Bon Jovi?
    Do you like Nickleback?
    Do you like Green Day?
    Do you like Kid Rock?
    Do you like Puffy Daddy Diddy P Flash Master (or whatever his name is this week)?
    Do you like Keane West?
    Do you like Lil Wayne?
    Do you like Daughtry?
    Do you like either Simpson sister?
    Do you like My Chemical Romance?
    Do you like Paris Hilton?
    Do you like Lifehouse?
    Do you like Creed?
    Do you like The Pussycat Dolls?
    Do you like Usher?
    Do you like Snoop Doggy Dog?
    Do you like Justin Timberlake?

If she answered yes to any of these, I would round house kick her and leave.
    what the HELL??!!! Why you guys all gotta dis KID ROCK??!! pffffft
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    SENROCK! wrote:
    what the HELL??!!! Why you guys all gotta dis KID ROCK??!! pffffft

Because he had a hissy fit when he was suposed to play download and left the site 10 mins before he was scheduled to play
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    Because he had a hissy fit when he was suposed to play download and left the site 10 mins before he was scheduled to play

yeeeeeahhh ok

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    SENROCK! wrote:
    yeeeeeahhh ok

I was looking forward to watching him, then he just cancelled. The worst part though was they let diturbed play for longer.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    I was looking forward to watching him, then he just cancelled. The worst part though was they let diturbed play for longer.
    he's freakin AWESOME live!!!! All the haters up in here just dont KNOW!!! :D

• Options
    falcon wrote:
    As great as this post is, I'm even more impressed that this is your first post. BEST FIRST POST, EVER.

Wow, thanks! I've been lurking for quite some time, but this is the first time I felt like I had something important to contribute :)

03 Pittsburgh
    05 Toronto
    06 Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    08 Washington DC, MSG I&II, Hartford, Mansfield I&II, EV Toronto I
  • Options
    You shouldn't have to explain what you're into to a girl. If she's cool, she shouldn't ask questions. You shouldn't have to justify liking something.

Actually, I think the best relationships are the ones that involve people who aren't into all the same things. That way, you get to explore things that you don't know about, and who knows, you may actually end up loving them too! I really wanted to know what the hell was so great about Pearl Jam since my significant other was so crazy about them. Chances are, if I love him and he loves them...

That said, I will never love Michael Jordan and the New York Giants as much as he does!

03 Pittsburgh
    05 Toronto
    06 Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    08 Washington DC, MSG I&II, Hartford, Mansfield I&II, EV Toronto I
  • Options
    GOSSArDgEEKGOSSArDgEEK Posts: 245
    My boyfriend finially likes Pearl Jam. He never liked Vedder's voice, maybe cuz of the whole Creed shit, how lots of bands tried to sound like or emulate Vedder's warm, soulful voice. But he always loved Ed's politics. That before and above all he loves about Ed. Yet he always loved Animal. Now he's getting used to Ed's voice, and we both had tickets for the 2nd Camden show, fall into our lap. So that was his 1st show. Now he has all the members names down, even Boom!
    Here’s a question you might need to ask
    What’s self destruction and how can we last?

"I cannot stop the thought of running in the dark.
    Coming up a which way sign. All good truants must decide."

McCain, America's scariest grandpa!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    My problem is finding a local girl that likes PJ.
  • Options
    GOSSArDgEEKGOSSArDgEEK Posts: 245
    http://pjsingles.ning.com/forum

Maybe find a girl here? Just to find one close to your home.
    Someone on here has it on their signature.
    Here’s a question you might need to ask
    What’s self destruction and how can we last?

"I cannot stop the thought of running in the dark.
    Coming up a which way sign. All good truants must decide."

McCain, America's scariest grandpa!
  • Options
    CorduroyGCorduroyG Posts: 23
    PittGrrl04 wrote:
    So for me, it was a 5 year process, but it was worth it. I love Pearl Jam, and I love him!

Puke!!
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    larmen42 wrote:

Ya, there's only a 100:1 male to female ratio. You should have no problem finding a woman on a PJ board.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    This IS a somewhat relevant concern. Somehow, you have to rationalize your obsessions. Not everyone will understand why you want to see the SAME BAND play 3 - 8+ concerts in a row, or during the same tour, and leave the wife (and kids?) at home, and spend a small fortune in gas, airfare, etc. It's not good "responsible married people behavior."

I'm not looking forward to trying to fight that battle someday if I don't find a woman that can at least understand why I like Pearl Jam soo much.

Besides that, I also get to explain why I MUST own an additional (or multiple) car which is impractical, can't transport more then 2 people, and may or may not be used exclusively to race around a track or down a drag strip.

Hiking will also be an additional side battle, though not as "un-female friendly." None the less, not showering, long distance physical exercise, bugs, and sleeping outside aren't the greatest selling points.

I'm hoping 2 find a woman that could enjoy at least 2 out of these 3....
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    everyone has the right, sure.

but listening to Nickelback says a lot about a person. they should probably stick to dating people who also like Nickelback.

(I'd wink, but when it comes to Nickelback, I'm pretty serious).

(for the record, there are a lot of horrible bands out there, but IMO Nickelback is the absolute worst, hands down. that photograph song or whatever it is should be banned from the planet.)

Nicklback is the personal TORTURE that I endure for praying back in 97 when rap pretty much wiped rock music of the radar that alternative or hard rock of ANY KIND would return to prominence again. My prayers were responded to with Muddle of Mudd, Nickleback, Three Doors Down, etc. :( I'm sorry, but ANYONE that listens to Nickleback is a douchebag. They're a bunch of no-talent jackasses. I think Buckcherry is a close 2nd to them too.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 839
    I heard Nickelback at a strip club one time. There were naked women dancing in front of me, and I was completely miserable.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    I heard Nickelback at a strip club one time. There were naked women dancing in front of me, and I was completely miserable.

LOL, yes, the true shittiness of Nickleback is powerful enough to even ruin naked women. I think Creed could do that too though. At least those retards are GONE.
  • Options
    PittGrrl04 wrote:
    OK, as a girlfriend of a fanatical fan who is NOW a pretty fanatical fan herself, here's what worked on me:

1) Make her a CD of all the slow, "sit-down", "sing-along" songs. You know, Betterman, Long Road, the last track of every album, Black, Small Town, etc. You can include B-sides and other rarities, but nothing too crazy. No Satan's Bed or anything like that.

2) Once she begins to like this CD and asks for more, give her some shows that are heavy on the songs from section 1, so that she can begin to appreciate the band live, but on the girly songs she likes. Like Benaroya Hall. Plus, it will start to expose her to the other faster songs that you love.

3) After passing these two steps, she is ready to go to ONE show. But only one during the next tour. You should preferably go to a show that is close to where you live, and you should have great 10c tickets. Oh, and at this show, try to keep your poster obsession to a minimum... its annoying to get to the show super early and stand in line for a poster when you are just a casual fan at this point.

4) By now, she should be on her way to being hooked, so start her listening to more shows with rarer songs and "songs boys like to go crazy over"... Leash, DTE, etc.

5) The next tour will come, and she will be BEGGING to go to as many shows as possible.

This is literally what my boyfriend did with me starting in 2003, and on this last tour we took a week's vacation and went to 6 shows (DC through Mansfield II). So for me, it was a 5 year process, but it was worth it. I love Pearl Jam, and I love him!

This should be a sticky! LOL :)

Just met someone recently, and I am SERIOUSLY going to use this as a guideline! I've already told her that she's going to get "brainwashed" into Pearl Jam. LOL I had to give her some shit when she said she hasn't listened to anything after Vs. either! I'm working on cd 1, and I told here there will be a series of pop quizes and a final exam before I take her to a show. :)
  • Options
    mnicole22 wrote:
    I personally have such a hard time respecting people who don't like PJ...which is really MY problem, I guess. ;)

Im the same way, I cant stand anyone who disrespects Ed. Or the rest of the band for that matter.
    :)