Options

Problems explaing PJ to the girlfriend?

Comments

• Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    PittGrrl04 wrote:
    OK, as a girlfriend of a fanatical fan who is NOW a pretty fanatical fan herself, here's what worked on me:

1) Make her a CD of all the slow, "sit-down", "sing-along" songs. You know, Betterman, Long Road, the last track of every album, Black, Small Town, etc. You can include B-sides and other rarities, but nothing too crazy. No Satan's Bed or anything like that.

2) Once she begins to like this CD and asks for more, give her some shows that are heavy on the songs from section 1, so that she can begin to appreciate the band live, but on the girly songs she likes. Like Benaroya Hall. Plus, it will start to expose her to the other faster songs that you love.

3) After passing these two steps, she is ready to go to ONE show. But only one during the next tour. You should preferably go to a show that is close to where you live, and you should have great 10c tickets. Oh, and at this show, try to keep your poster obsession to a minimum... its annoying to get to the show super early and stand in line for a poster when you are just a casual fan at this point.

4) By now, she should be on her way to being hooked, so start her listening to more shows with rarer songs and "songs boys like to go crazy over"... Leash, DTE, etc.

5) The next tour will come, and she will be BEGGING to go to as many shows as possible.

This is literally what my boyfriend did with me starting in 2003, and on this last tour we took a week's vacation and went to 6 shows (DC through Mansfield II). So for me, it was a 5 year process, but it was worth it. I love Pearl Jam, and I love him!

Sounds like my wife...I took her to D.C. and Boston 2 this year. She's been two 4 of the 19 shows I've been to since '03, and after the last one this time around she seemed more excited to see EV-solo than I was. Yes I want to, but need to save up some loot before I can commit, but she was all about it so it looks like I'm in baby! The big thing is that you can't force someone to like your music, you can only play it for yourself and hope.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I mean, that singer guy is no Kid Rock.

:D
    :D:D:D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    incubus sucks and so does nickelback- you need to find a new girlfriend

sad but true... metallica sucks too
    i like sound...
  • Options
    I dont understand people saying get a new gf?

its not like she said she hates them and the OP can no longer listen to them.....you people are very strange
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    brucebruce Posts: 384
    Chicks that I meet think I'm really fucking wierd cause i have photoshoped pictures of my and Eddie Vedder hanging out and stuff... what i've learned is to hide the obsesion until they get to know you... and keep your myspace away if you have it loaded with PJ stuff like me.

ALSO,
    I love Incubus' first two albums but can pretty much leave the rest....though there are some good songs here and there.

I agree, I love incubus... but their setlists are always the same.. how fuckign boring guys... switch it up!
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• Options
    bruce wrote:
    Chicks that I meet think I'm really fucking wierd cause i have photoshoped pictures of my and Eddie Vedder hanging out and stuff... what i've learned is to hide the obsesion until they get to know you... and keep your myspace away if you have it loaded with PJ stuff like me.

ALSO,

I agree, I love incubus... but their setlists are always the same.. how fuckign boring guys... switch it up!
    dude. that IS weird for you to have pics of you and Ed! :eek:
    jk :D If theres any guy that can get away with being in another guys wallet, its Ed. Chicks need to recognize.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    dude. that IS weird for you to have pics of you and Ed! :eek:
    jk :D If theres any guy that can get away with being in another guys wallet, its Ed. Chicks need to recognize.

Thanks you senrock. I do thank you for your 31 thousand posts of wisdom. When I retire, it will be my goal to catch up with your number of posts.

• Options
    mfc22mfc22 Posts: 106
    girlfriend: i am tired of hearing pj all the time

me: i am tired of hearing you all the time
    ...if she's gone i can't go on feelin' 2 foot small...
  • Options
    mfc22 wrote:

LOL... and she didn't break up with you? gotta introduce me to her sister!

• Options
    her sister is hottt....
  • Options
    bruce wrote:
    Thanks you senrock. I do thank you for your 31 thousand posts of wisdom. When I retire, it will be my goal to catch up with your number of posts.

Wisdom. Yeah. But hey you are welcome wiseguy!!!! :D

• Options
    mfc22 wrote:

LOVE IT!!!!! You handled the situation properly. Well done. ;)

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    LOVE IT!!!!! You handled the situation properly. Well done. ;)

amazingly she is still with me.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I dont understand people saying get a new gf?

its not like she said she hates them and the OP can no longer listen to them.....you people are very strange

aah you know they're just blowing off steam.

You can't really convince others to like stuff just because you do, but not everyone has reached the point of acceptance of that! But you CAN not let them hold you back.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    But you CAN not let them hold you back.
    thats right Jane!!!

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I find it's best not to force it on to them. I know that it would be great if she liked them as much as you, but sometimes it just doesn't happen instantly. I bet you don't like "Sex in the City" just because she does, but maybe one day she's watching it and you sit next to her and start watching it, you may not be a huge fan the first time you watch it but maybe you find one thing funny about it. So you find one thing thats good about it on your own, with out it being forced on you and before you know it you're watching Sex in the City even when she's not there. The same could happen with her and PJ, there may be one song she likes, and on her own she starts looking for more PJ. And if she never likes PJ, then I hope thats not all your relationship is based on, otherwise dump her.
    are you a guy??? if so, you just lost your man card
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    it took about a year for my fiancee' to get how much I like the band. I've been to 10 shows with my best friend and she's always been supportive of every single road trip we've done to see them, (Philly and DC this year).
    When we started dating, I only had 2 cd's in the car for the first month (Mer de Noms and 13th Step by A Perfect Cirlce). After a month of saturation, I introduced PJ to her, she had 2 of their alums at the time, Ten and Vitalogy, so she's heard a few of their songs. I had a lot of PJ in my car everytime we drove somewhere so she got immersed a lot.
    Now that I have a lot of boots and B-sides along with their studio albums in my i-pod, I find that she even starts singing along to the rare songs (Hard to Immagine, Wash, Footsteps, etc.)

So I say, just keep playing it for her and she'll get it eventually.
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,740
    gave up ages ago....
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    5against1- wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this. I often have trouble explaining to chicks I date the love I have for this band. They always look at me like wow thats nice, but don't seem to get it. My girlfriend now listens and smiles but then just tells me about how she likes incubus, nickelback or some other dumb shit. I know there is more to a relationship than just music but I often have to hold back on talking about them. I'm slowly playing different boots for her. She did wanna go to the D.C. show with me but I couldn't let my best friend who also loves the band down by giving her my extra ticket.

Are you sure the problem isn't that you date girls you refer to as "chicks"?

As a "chick" I don't date guys who hate Neil Young. If they like Neil, they usually get my PJ thing.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    PittGrrl04 wrote:
    OK, as a girlfriend of a fanatical fan who is NOW a pretty fanatical fan herself, here's what worked on me:

1) Make her a CD of all the slow, "sit-down", "sing-along" songs. You know, Betterman, Long Road, the last track of every album, Black, Small Town, etc. You can include B-sides and other rarities, but nothing too crazy. No Satan's Bed or anything like that.

2) Once she begins to like this CD and asks for more, give her some shows that are heavy on the songs from section 1, so that she can begin to appreciate the band live, but on the girly songs she likes. Like Benaroya Hall. Plus, it will start to expose her to the other faster songs that you love.

3) After passing these two steps, she is ready to go to ONE show. But only one during the next tour. You should preferably go to a show that is close to where you live, and you should have great 10c tickets. Oh, and at this show, try to keep your poster obsession to a minimum... its annoying to get to the show super early and stand in line for a poster when you are just a casual fan at this point.

4) By now, she should be on her way to being hooked, so start her listening to more shows with rarer songs and "songs boys like to go crazy over"... Leash, DTE, etc.

5) The next tour will come, and she will be BEGGING to go to as many shows as possible.

This is literally what my boyfriend did with me starting in 2003, and on this last tour we took a week's vacation and went to 6 shows (DC through Mansfield II). So for me, it was a 5 year process, but it was worth it. I love Pearl Jam, and I love him!

this is good shit here ... i'm archiving this for future reference!!
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    My boyfriend doesn't like them, it's really not a big deal though. We can't all have the same taste in music.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    lol...

This tour was the first for my girl ... she was a casual fan, (through me of course) beforehand... we knew each other for 6 years before we started dating and my love for the band was well known in high school... I was "that guy that loves pearl jam" to most people in school... I think this made it easier for her to understand.

Anyway I went to 5 shows, she went to 3... during my last show, she stayed home and FOLLOWED the setlist online... I came home and she told me this and I was like WTF!

She keeps telling me that she "misses pearl jam" and she hums Oceans while cleaning... and also plays PJ in her car all the time now... I got in her car the other day and a bootleg was playing and jokingly I asked her if she was playing it for me and she said "No, I've been listening to this for 2 weeks now"

I am well on my way to conversion with this one.

Holy shit. I've been seeing my girl for like six months and it has gone pretty much exactly the same way. She was a casual fan and she did not understand how much I loved the band. I took her to 2 shows this tour and she loved it.

She bought an I Pod on Sunday and I put 4 or 5 really good boots on it for her. She came home from work yesterday and said, "You need to put new boots on my I Pod. I went through the ones I had and the studio albums are just not cutting it." I nearly sit my pants. I put about four or five more boots on it last night for her.

Then she says, "Where are the boots from Hartford and Mansfield II?"

That's the type of girl that's needed. All you need is a crack in the door and once you get in, it's all over.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    Are you sure the problem isn't that you date girls you refer to as "chicks"?

As a "chick" I don't date guys who hate Neil Young. If they like Neil, they usually get my PJ thing.
    Haha, How could someone hate neil young, if you dont like his music I guess that is ok?(can't understand) But you should surly respect everything else the man does in his life to make the world a better place(Bridge School, Farm Aid, ect.) They better get your pj thing if they like Neil, Hello?
    This too shall pass.....
  • Options
    PearlJen401PearlJen401 Posts: 233
    mfc22 wrote:

I can't stop laughing. This made my morning (and I'm a wife) OMG thanx!!!
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    If she didn't get it herself first time she saw them on tv or heard them on radio or CD or whatever, she'll never get it. Making a mix tape of "well known" shit is for pussies. Don't try it. Just go find yourself a gf who gets it. Wishlist preparties are a great way to find hard-core PJ chicks just as an fyi....
    Preparties are DEFINITELY a good idea. I met my boyfriend at a PJ meet up weekend... he met loadsa cool PJ people, there was loadsa PJ on in the background for the weekend... I've NEVER tried to force them on him... but he's discovered them himself. If you try and force it on people, it just doesn't work. I like that post on the first page about the 'mix tape' with the benaroya stuff... parting ways would do it for me :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    PittGrrl04 wrote:

got a sister, aunt, mother or cousin for me?
    :)

I need a PJ girl..

PJ was quoted as an "issue" in the break up of my last two relationships..
    (really!)..

Seems the girls I date don't "get it"..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    NH NFYNH NFY Posts: 23
    Showed my fiance 'Given to Fly' with the sign language chick on Touring Band.....that broke the ice.
    "We won't be playing an acoustic version of 'Blood' or anything..."
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    mfc22 wrote:

"post of the year" right above... imo!

LMAO!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Yes I have had this problem as well...which is why I have come to the realization that I should only date Ten Club members from here on out.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    5against1- wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this. I often have trouble explaining to chicks I date the love I have for this band. They always look at me like wow thats nice, but don't seem to get it. My girlfriend now listens and smiles but then just tells me about how she likes incubus, nickelback or some other dumb shit. I know there is more to a relationship than just music but I often have to hold back on talking about them. I'm slowly playing different boots for her. She did wanna go to the D.C. show with me but I couldn't let my best friend who also loves the band down by giving her my extra ticket.

why ON EARTH would you ever date someone who likes Nickleback???

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. if these are the girls you go for, then it's your own problem. when I was in high school and college, all my guy friends would constantly tell me how cool I was and how I had such great taste in music and movies and everything and say "I don't know why you don't have a boyfriend."these same guys would date anyone who was blond and wore belly shirts. boys like dumb girls who don't know about anything other than manicures and what's in People Magazine.

If a girl doesn't like pearl jam she should at least have some other interest that you can relate to on that level and that makes her interesting. Otherwise, they don't deserve to be with someone. I find it's the most boring on earth who have the most active love lives, probably because they're non controversial.