Nails

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So I have a friend who has invested a fortune in fake nails. Gets them done all the time, has to go for some kind of surgical-sounding prcedure that involves filling in cracks every now and again.

Got a job that prohibits them as she'll be in operating rooms. Was so upset. Has to go and get them removed / unpeeled / amputated. Apparently there's a good shot her own nails will look something less than lovely once the fake ones are off.

I don't get it. Why on earth put those things on? (Admittedly, this is coming from someone who has not had polish on her nails for many a year _ I like mine short, neatly filed, and clean.)

And now that I think of it _ what's the big deal with all the polish and stick on stuff?
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow. You really are much better than this Unlost. I mean, with a thread title like this, and your history, Im expecting some sort of highway camper thriller/mystery. And your talkin' bout fingernails. To say the least, Im disappointed.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Wow. You really are much better than this Unlost. I mean, with a thread title like this, and your history, Im expecting some sort of highway camper thriller/mystery. And your talkin' bout fingernails. To say the least, Im disappointed.

:lol:;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    What don't you get???

acrylic_nail_a.jpg
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • So..do toe nails count?...cuz I spend a lot of time on mine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnzyhjmrIBsulURr5nBsw_FkkBUN2vh9bk8dhPJKCcWei7dACM1g
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Fingernails = hiding place for germs.

GROSS.

I will occassionally get mine polished, but keep them short, and never extend the little germ catchers with press ons.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i can totally see unlost with:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRexViYso3r4fGCwZX4eOSUuIWKMTgrTjnHnce2W3nJob-0iiSJ

furiously typing away on her iphone 4...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    why now u don't nails?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    why now u don't nails?

because when you do your nails too much, they turn into:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTghZ4ieKByallKxkM1QzNBIU4pcjlhkHoVkGkrPflGt0pCZo_7Cw
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Oh my god, this shit is horrific.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Oh my god, this shit is horrific.

Somewhere on Cambridge Street, a graduate student is vomiting...
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

I agree, and keep in mind ladies, guys think one thing when they see nails -- are they dangerous around our junk? yup, we're pigs. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

I agree, and keep in mind ladies, guys think one thing when they see nails -- are they dangerous around our junk? yup, we're pigs. :P

Just a little too overenthusiastic in the caressing and *BAM* there you are on a gurney in the emergency department, with a 24 year old resident gripping a surgical stapler in her sweat palms and gazing with uncertainty at your... "junk."

you should've seen this one girl's nails that I used to work with....she jammed a fake nail with the dental drill, and it got all infected, she kept having the nail salon person fill in the holes with spackle or whatever...finally her entire nail fell off...the whole thing...it was all green and oozing puss.

she had to take off all the rest of the nails...guess some of those were getting all infected too...she wore those press on nail thingies during the day.

as soon as the nail grew back, she got her fake nails put back on... :roll:

and unlost, you'll love this...she was a surgical assistant...probably had all sorts of nasty germs under those things.

- Christopher McCandless

:sick: Yeah. I should know better than to click on a thread with unlost, twisted and RKCNDY talking about nails.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

:sick: Yeah. I should know better than to click on a thread with unlost, twisted and RKCNDY talking about nails.

Silly young thing.

:lol:

me? me,all naughty?

:angel:

- Christopher McCandless

sure...go ahead and blame me
    for ONCE im innocent!!!

So "Who clips their nails at work?"

1. why?-does it annoy your spouse, and stray flying nails land in their hair or drink, so you must clip at work? Those same stray nails could fly into a co-worker's hair, coffee, gummy bears, skittles, brownies, peanut m&ms...yuck

2. do you feel that clipping nails is a substitute for using a nail brush/scrubbing under your nails?-do you scrape out the underside before you clip?

3. would you be offended if the person next to you clipped their toenails? Do you want toe nails in your coffee?

4. would a person flossing in the next cube over annoy you? I feel that is the same thing...flinging unwanted bodily products all over the place.

please discuss...

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

1. why?-does it annoy your spouse, and stray flying nails land in their hair or drink, so you must clip at work? Those same stray nails could fly into a co-worker's hair, coffee, gummy bears, skittles, brownies, peanut m&ms...yuck

2. do you feel that clipping nails is a substitute for using a nail brush/scrubbing under your nails?-do you scrape out the underside before you clip?

3. would you be offended if the person next to you clipped their toenails? Do you want toe nails in your coffee?

4. would a person flossing in the next cube over annoy you? I feel that is the same thing...flinging unwanted bodily products all over the place.

please discuss...

Oh, please don't.

Fenway will never, ever ride the T again.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i thought this was a thread about Lenny Dykstra :|

carry out with the fungus fest :sick:
  • I actually do have a pair of nail clippers in my desk drawer. Very rarely used but they are there for "laziness induced emergencies."
    By that I mean one day I was driving in to work - had a suit and tie on and was set to visit with some clients - and I noticed that I should have trimmed my nails that AM. (I am fanatical about keeping them super short.)
    Stopped at 7-11 and bought a crappy nail clipper, clipped them in the parking lot and felt better about things during the meeting than I would have. (Crazy, I know.)
    Kept them in there and actually have used probably 2-3 times a year since.
    [Worth noting that I have my own office and nobody can hear/see when I do this. I do it over my trash so that I leave no evidence of my laziness induced emergency procedure!]

Gross? Yeah, I guess. But I can cop to it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    RKCNDY wrote:

please discuss...

Oh, please don't.

Fenway will never, ever ride the T again.

but twisty insisty-ed
    Wow. so some "normal" people actually clip their nails at work? Why is this? I mean, I have an emergency nail file in my drawer in case a nail happens to break or something, but all out clipping? You went through the trouble to bring your nail clippers to work? And I assume you have a spare at home, or you exclusively clip your nails at work...? I think we need to bring this specific conversation over here ---> http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 8#p3832268

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    why now u don't nails?

because when you do your nails too much, they turn into:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTghZ4ieKByallKxkM1QzNBIU4pcjlhkHoVkGkrPflGt0pCZo_7Cw

urp128558578902952536.jpg
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Unfortunately I don't have pictures but I want to share a nail story that happened to me just recently while playing basketball.

I went up for a rebound (like the beast that I am) and an opponent hit the ball with some force and it hit my thumbnail, straight on... it hurt so fucking bad I immediately in the middle of play just had to get to the bench...so I did. My finger was bleeding and I was nervous to take a look but it had to be done, so I did... the ball had hit my nail so hard that half of the nail had bent back and was sticking straight up.

Yeah...

I had to push it back down... it was pretty damn painful.

Multiple people in the gym told me they heard the ball hit my nail.

It sucked.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Unfortunately I don't have pictures but I want to share a nail story that happened to me just recently while playing basketball.

I went up for a rebound (like the beast that I am) and an opponent hit the ball with some force and it hit my thumbnail, straight on... it hurt so fucking bad I immediately in the middle of play just had to get to the bench...so I did. My finger was bleeding and I was nervous to take a look but it had to be done, so I did... the ball had hit my nail so hard that half of the nail had bent back and was sticking straight up.

Yeah...

It sucked.

GAH!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
    RKCNDY wrote:

please discuss...
    I'll answer this questionaire:

1. I do it because sometiems I forget to do it at home, so when I remember (by typing and realizing my nails are too long) I do it then to avoid forgetting more and in turn, being more annoyed by the nails that are too long for my preference.

2. No. It's gross and I should, but I don't. Wanna fight about it?

3. You'll need to elaborate more on the scenario. In the cube over? No. As long as their feet don't stink I don't care.

4. No. Anyone that flings shit from flossing is gross and needs to take Flossing 101.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah...

It sucked.

GAH!

It was awful. I almost passed out. This is actually the second nail horror story I've had. Care to hear the other?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

1. I do it because sometiems I forget to do it at home, so when I remember (by typing and realizing my nails are too long) I do it then to avoid forgetting more and in turn, being more annoyed by the nails that are too long for my preference.

3. You'll need to elaborate more on the scenario. In the cube over? No. As long as their feet don't stink I don't care.

4. No. Anyone that flings shit from flossing is gross and needs to take Flossing 101.

1. fair enough-i suppose women have it easier as nails clicking on the computer keys aren't that annoying to us.

2. no, but I just hope that you're not that kind of guy that constantly has black junk under your nails-take note guys, this is a HUGE turn of for most girls

3. As in the cube right next to you, and you have full view of said cracked heel, yellowed nail feet-last office I worked at, you could see everybody, see what they were doing, you could see anything that went on at any time...I could shoot a nerf gun at someone across the floor 5 rows over.

4. I have seen people fling shit when they floss...it's not pretty...same with toothpick users....and eating whatever you get out from your between your teeth to me, is like eating your boogers

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

1. fair enough-i suppose women have it easier as nails clicking on the computer keys aren't that annoying to us.

2. no, but I just hope that you're not that kind of guy that constantly has black junk under your nails-take note guys, this is a HUGE turn of for most girls

3. As in the cube right next to you, and you have full view of said cracked heel, yellowed nail feet-last office I worked at, you could see everybody, see what they were doing, you could see anything that went on at any time...I could shoot a nerf gun at someone across the floor 5 rows over.

4. I have seen people fling shit when they floss...it's not pretty...same with toothpick users....and eating whatever you get out from your between your teeth to me, is like eating your boogers

2. No, I hardly ever have shit under my nails... when I work outside, go camping, or do whatever that gets dirt and junk under my nails, I clean them asap.

3. Okay, given your description, no I'm okay. But I still stand that if I don't have to be a witness to it, I'm fine.

As long as they can clip and not send things flying my way, I'm good. In all seriousness, that isn't a hard thing to do.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL