question about marriage/divorce

peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Is it better to leave my wife and rarely get to spend time with my daughter or spend my life in an unhappy marriage?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Leave if youre unhappy

My aunt has stayed years and is miserable
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Have you tried counseling?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    don't be miserable for the sake of a child, she's smart enough and will sense something is wrong. (no, it doesn't matter about her age, kids are really perceptive)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really don't have much faith in it based on other peoples results and some other stuff.
  • peacocoa wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really don't have much faith in it based on other peoples results and some other stuff.
    If it's for your kid, you need to give it a shot. Not every therapist is good, find one that is. Way easier and cheaper than child support. And it does work!
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    peacocoa wrote:
    Is it better to leave my wife and rarely get to spend time with my daughter or spend my life in an unhappy marriage?

Your question makes it seem that these are your only two options. Think a bit more.

Someone suggested counseling. I think that's a good place to start but how about attempting to communicate with your spouse directly too? How about trying to change and having her try to change too? Then, maybe you'd have the option to stay in a happy marriage for your daughter. Your daughter would probably benefit most from two happy parents who are together.

There are always more than two options. Really.

If you give up without trying to work on your relationship, in my opinion, you're just looking for an excuse to walk out on your child and your wife.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    peacocoa wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

MAybe it works. I have nothing to offer but advice. If you talk with someone, shit they might offer that one door that opens you guys up into seeing each other's perspective and the wounds heal. If not, you're no worse for where you are right now right?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Staying and Drinking :)
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    RKCNDY wrote:
    don't be miserable for the sake of a child, she's smart enough and will sense something is wrong. (no, it doesn't matter about her age, kids are really perceptive)

This.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I was in the same situation and now that I'm divorced and taken a step back to view things from a new perspective, I had no idea how truly miserable our relationship was both of us and how we lacked any common interests/beliefs.

Now that I'm divorced, I don't see my son as much as I'd like. That's really hard. You just have to keep yourself busy when they're away and know that you will always be their parent no matter what. Don't stay in something miserable for a kid. Like someone mentioned earlier, the kid understands and picks up on the tension.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited July 2011
    peacocoa wrote:

See a counselor. If it still is unhappy after that, at least you put in real effort to be happy. If you do split up, you two will at least be friends for the good of your daughter. You and your wife will be forever connected by your daughter, even if you move on, so do not burn that bridge so soon.

Love and light with whatever you choose to do.
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • not4uuunot4uuu Posts: 94
    I am goin through this too. My husband, after 18 years, has just now decided to tell me the truth about his past. I thought I knew who he was and now I find out he is not what I thought. He has thrown so much on me in the last 2 months, I am having a hard time taking it all in. I can't believe he waited this long. He says he never told me because I wouldn't have been with him, I say, he should have givin me the chance. My life i my choice too. Anyway, thanx for listening. :|
    pearljammin66
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    justam wrote:
    peacocoa wrote:

Your question makes it seem that these are your only two options. Think a bit more.

Someone suggested counseling. I think that's a good place to start but how about attempting to communicate with your spouse directly too? How about trying to change and having her try to change too? Then, maybe you'd have the option to stay in a happy marriage for your daughter. Your daughter would probably benefit most from two happy parents who are together.

If you give up without trying to work on your relationship, in my opinion, you're just looking for an excuse to walk out on your child and your wife.

I like this, and would suggest the same thing. But, if you've exhausted all options and have sincerely tried to overcome your differences, disagreements, troubles, what have you, then I think RCKNDY's advice would be next best in line.

Best of luck to you.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    justam wrote:
    peacocoa wrote:

great point of view!

relationships takes a whole lot of work at times, its worth the effort though if you can overcome the challenges.

My Mama always said there will be ebb and flow in love... I've found this to be very true.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    not4uuu wrote:
    I am goin through this too. My husband, after 18 years, has just now decided to tell me the truth about his past. I thought I knew who he was and now I find out he is not what I thought. He has thrown so much on me in the last 2 months, I am having a hard time taking it all in. I can't believe he waited this long. He says he never told me because I wouldn't have been with him, I say, he should have givin me the chance. My life i my choice too. Anyway, thanx for listening. :|
    It's amazing what spouses hold back. Like they know what you would do if you knew the truth. Who knows. One may choose to stay with said person. But at least it would be your choice and not them making the choice for you.
    Something that helps me get throught the tough times...the serenity prayer.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change
    courage to change the things I can
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Believe me...this has kept me sane for many many months recently.
    pandora wrote:
    justam wrote:
    peacocoa wrote:

great point of view!

relationships takes a whole lot of work at times, its worth the effort though if you can overcome the challenges.

My Mama always said there will be ebb and flow in love... I've found this to be very true.

I know this is a great point of view. Counseling may be an easier way to talk to your wife, without it breaking into a disagreement. Side note: counseling only works if both parties are entire honestly with each other. You both know what's on the line, so why not give it all? It's true, "Love ain’t love until you give it up".
    sheila0225 wrote:

:thumbup:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    not4uuu wrote:
    It's amazing what spouses hold back. Like they know what you would do if you knew the truth. Who knows. One may choose to stay with said person. But at least it would be your choice and not them making the choice for you.

+1
    sheila0225 wrote:
    not4uuu wrote:

+1

I thought about counseling, but he has told me things that he has been up to since we have been together. I had no clue :shock: I am having a very hard time believing anything he says now. Why would he be honest to a stranger about himself when he hasn't been honest with me. I think he would just be putting on another show.
    pearljammin66
    not4uuu wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    not4uuu wrote:

I thought about counseling, but he has told me things that he has been up to since we have been together. I had no clue :shock: I am having a very hard time believing anything he says now. Why would he be honest to a stranger about himself when he hasn't been honest with me. I think he would just be putting on another show.
    He might find it easier to be honest with a stranger than you right now only due to the fact that he may feel pre-judged by you. This was the case with me. :(
    It's easy to not believe what he says especially when the trust has been broken. It's going to take time to trust again. But you won't know if you do until you try.
    still trying, but I am running out of steam...................................
    pearljammin66
    not4uuu wrote:

one day at a time is all you can do. Focus on today. For tomorrow is not here yet.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    not4uuu wrote:

wtf did he do
    wtf was he able to hide for 18 years that can be so devastating now

i ask because about ten years ago, i found out about lies my husband (of then 8 years) had told not only me, but everyone.
    he took credit, for fucking years, for things he did not actually do
    i found this out at his brother's funeral and could not address it for weeks and may have left him had his brother not just died
    that was ten years ago
    we got over it and i'm glad because he'll be dead soon (seriously)
    so
    wtf?
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    RKCNDY wrote:

as to the op's question
    i agree with rockcandy here
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    peacocoa wrote:

Why are you sure that the time spent with your daughter would be rare?
  • peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
    Dang Dang wrote:
    peacocoa wrote:

Why are you sure that the time spent with your daughter would be rare?

well, right now we live on the east coast but have no friends or family out here. so if we were to split up, my wife would be forced to move either to the west coast or the midwest. With my job, i relocate every four years and don't really get to choose where i relocate to.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    not4uuu wrote:
    Stay strong, and that's a very messed up situation. I'm sorry you are dealing with that----I cannot deal with lying more than anything else in a relationship. As you said, it doesn't even give you a chance to make an informed decision on your own; it's very manipulative. Give yourself some time and if you can, get some space for yourself where you can think about how you really want to move forward from this, or in which direction you want to go. I guess you would have to decide if it's something you can live with or not. What made him decide to tell you? best wishes.

OP- I personally believe that it's not good for any parties involved to stay in an unhappy marriage or relationship (sometimes easier said than done). Be true to yourself and try to be as honest as you can with others, and spend as much time as you are able to with your daughter. Good luck.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    sheila0225 wrote:

:thumbup: as a natural born worrier going through tough times, these words are always helpful. Wonderful thing to keep in mind.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    just to make things clear on counseling: a counselor is there as a NEUTRAL point of view, they do not know who you are, they have no pre-conceived notions about you, your life, past experiences etc.

They will ask you questions, ask your partner questions, and help both parties understand each other. They will not take sides...but rather bring things into a new perspective.

you would be surprised at how much people tell complete strangers...it's human nature to not want to be judged, and a stranger is the 'perfect outlet' for venting/releasing pent up frustrations.

counseling only works when people are ready and willing to make a change.

(I went to family counseling as a kid, and the other party refused to do their part in changing their behavior, so there's that)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless