EDDIE VEDDER TRASHES AMERICA IDOL

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    lukin2006 wrote:
    To me it's just a Karaoke contest...Pearl Jam and Eddie write their own music, play their own instruments, perform live without being coached in front of crowds, who are being told how to behave on cue. I prefer the bands I follow to write their own music and play their own instruments...most of the bands I follow also had to scratch and claw to get record contracts.

The worst part of the show for me is that I work with these 2 guys who just talk about the show like 2 school girls...both in their 40's...gag...

well said. thank you.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    I can love Pearl Jam and still love American Idol, right?

I can't wait for someone on Idol to finally cover a Pearl Jam song. Every year I think, is this going to be the year? So far, I don't think anyone has. Elderly Woman would be great on Idol.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    Eddie should just shut up.

It's pretty easy to preach to people while you're counting your money isn't Ed? Own a uke? Nice plug.

I by no means like that show but I'm not going to tell people how to run their life.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    brother123 wrote:

It's pretty easy to preach to people while you're counting your money isn't Ed? Own a uke? Nice plug.

I by no means like that show but I'm not going to tell people how to run their life.

So you're not negative much then?
    I like this:

'But I've always looked at it like skating a ramp -- there's transitions....It's like the music is the wave -- the lyric and melodic structure -- I feel that's where the transition comes in; that's the moves on the wave that you make and trying to pull that off without wiping out.'

I've always wondered how people make music...make songs...It seems almost impossible to me. But this is about as close a description as I've ever heard that makes it make some sort of sense. I was a big skateboarder and bmx freak when I was a kid and so I can relate to this idea of balance, speed, and timing as it relates to making music too. I think this imagery can also apply to poetry.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ212 wrote:
    I can love Pearl Jam and still love American Idol, right?

I can't wait for someone on Idol to finally cover a Pearl Jam song. Every year I think, is this going to be the year? So far, I don't think anyone has. Elderly Woman would be great on Idol.

I believe Jeremy was covered in 2006 when they were signed to that 1 record deal with clive davis...who has something to to with american idol. Also be careful what you wish for...they had a Beatle night, and just the few songs a tuned in for were brutal...imo. I hope Pearl Jam never ever allows their music on that show.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I like this:

'But I've always looked at it like skating a ramp -- there's transitions....It's like the music is the wave -- the lyric and melodic structure -- I feel that's where the transition comes in; that's the moves on the wave that you make and trying to pull that off without wiping out.'

I've always wondered how people make music...make songs...It seems almost impossible to me. But this is about as close a description as I've ever heard that makes it make some sort of sense. I was a big skateboarder and bmx freak when I was a kid and so I can relate to this idea of balance, speed, and timing as it relates to making music too. I think this imagery can also apply to poetry.

I've always wondered about song writing...especially the really good song writers, like Eddie Vedder, John and Paul and so on, they come up with so much and have the ability to put it into words and set it to music, it's...just a gift.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

Byrnzie wrote:
    I think this imagery can also apply to poetry.

poetry... the greatest force i've ever felt & held

because of who & what pearl jam is
    this is the reason i write & share some of my poetry here
    no others grab & hold me like pearl jam (the grateful dead does, yes)
    so i am here because of the poetry... first & foremost

out of respect

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chadwick wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I think this imagery can also apply to poetry.

poetry... the greatest force i've ever felt & held

because of who & what pearl jam is
    this is the reason i write & share some of my poetry here
    no others grab & hold me like pearl jam (the grateful dead does, yes)
    so i am here because of the poetry... first & foremost

out of respect

I'm here for the free appetizers.
  • PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    It really is incredible how much time that show takes up - my sister watches that show and it's like 2 nights a week for a few hours, plus all the calling of her friends, etc. Major time suckage for mediocre music.

But to each their own, I suppose.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    its good to laugh

it's good to listen

it's good to keep an open mind and accept people's differences

The positive in AI ... some dreams come true :D

uh oh... Big Brother starts this week ;):lol:
    pandora wrote:

But they're just fake, superficial, ephemeral dreams. It panders to the lowest common denominator. Music, and the creation of music, isn't just a game - a contest. That show is fucking sacriligious. It has nothing to do with creativity, or talent.

These words by Hunter S. Thompson can be used to describe American Idol to a T:

1037882527_d067f1026c.jpg
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:

But they're just fake, superficial, ephemeral dreams. It panders to the lowest common denominator. Music, and the creation of music, isn't just a game - a contest. That show is fucking sacriligious. It has nothing to do with creativity, or talent.

that is awesome
    thanks Byrnzie

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I find that to be really negative and unrealistic. Contests surround us everyday of our lives.
    Just another form of challenge.
    It's all in how you look at things Byrnzie.
    To put people down for enjoying things you do not
    or for them not thinking like you is lacking compassion for others.

If someone wants to watch a reality show based on talent or the lack of it
    and they enjoy it, so be it, understand it works for them.
    If they can leave behind their worries for an hour and laugh and love good for them.
    Better than looking at everything with such despise and superiority.

And of course its about the money...
    what isn't? I mean really,

except what I just stated, the freedom to enjoy what we like
    and not to be made to feel that is wrong.
    I adore music of all kinds. It is what I live for and I enjoy seeing people succeed at what they love.
    I am a fan of both music and dance shows.

And to call someone else's dreams meaningless is well,
    not very nice or feeling, because truth is, you just don't know how they feel
    and my opinion you are not really trying to either.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    Reality tv is shit all of it !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    lukin2006 wrote:
    “I think everybody should own a ukulele. People need a way to express themselves, they just do. It’s not like they don’t have time to learn because obviously, they’re watching shit like American Idol. Reality Shows offer nothing but hollow versions and the lowest common denominator of American lifestyles in 2011. I suggest turning off the TV and pick up the ukulele.”

this went up on my facebook page the moment i saw this thread last week :clap:
    www.myspace.com
    lukin2006 wrote:
    “I think everybody should own a ukulele. People need a way to express themselves, they just do. It’s not like they don’t have time to learn because obviously, they’re watching shit like American Idol. Reality Shows offer nothing but hollow versions and the lowest common denominator of American lifestyles in 2011. I suggest turning off the TV and pick up the ukulele.”

I find it hard to believe that this show remains so popular...and it doesn't seem to be losing any steam :evil: :evil:...

lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that this show remains so popular...and it doesn't seem to be losing any steam :evil: :evil:...

people are stupid and easily entertained. i gave up caring about that kind of nonsense a while ago though.
    www.myspace.com
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    for everyone defending American Idol..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously?

Ed is 999% right. Watching people compete for "the best singing voice" isn't as challenging and engaging as actually picking up an instrument and creating.

I understand the addiction to reality TV, but it is nothing more than a cheap thrill... A cheap thrill I'd rather have nothing to do with, thank god.

Good for Ed. For the rest that don't get what he's saying... good luck figuring things out. Apples and oranges. :P

Watching people trying nothing more than to be like-able.. IDOLIZED, makes me gag... Yes, Ed is an idol, but for good reason.. and I'm glad he is appreciated.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Gob wrote:
    Ed is 999% right. Watching people compete for "the best singing voice" isn't as challenging and engaging as actually picking up an instrument and creating.

Of course it isn't, and I'm pretty sure no one's said otherwise. :think:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    pandora wrote:
    what isn't? I mean really

This is clearly where you and I differ.
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    Byrnzie wrote:
    brother123 wrote:

So you're not negative much then?

how is that negative? It's fact.

Ed isn't saying anything one of us hasn't said before yet as a super duper star we eat it up.

Everyone that is saying it's about money is right but how does that differ from what Mr. Vedder has done? Oh sure he wasn't on T.V. when he started out but once you form a band and go through the motions of being "discovered", you're after the money. No one wants to hear that though. . . To say that about Vedder I should be hung by my balls! How dare I!!

Please. . .
    This discussion reminds me of the response I have gotten, as many here probably have
    over the past 20 years, when I say I am a PJ fan.

"Oh thats hard rock isn't it... oh yea Eddie Vedder" like they know it all and isn't pretty.

I reply 'No not really they have all kinds of songs and Eddie's lyrics are amazing'

then they look at me like I don't know the music I love ... very dismissive.

This because they have heard a song or two, judged that and formed an opinion.

Their loss.

Same situation here , just another way to judge another human being.
    And can we try not to be so dismissive of others?

It seems there is a lot of "you should do this or that cause it's right or cause I do it" when we all can live our lives the way we want to.

Can we not let people enjoy what they like without being made to feel it is somehow wrong?
    Where is the love in that?

Reality TV is getting people out of their own reality for a bit
    some of us need that more than others. They laugh, they forget worries, it is their entertainment
    time.
    Some people like Wipeout and 101Ways to leave a gameshow ... it's silly ass fun
    like entertainment should be for some people, live and let live and love,
    put the putdowns away.
    pandora...come on. pj and american idol?

talk about comparing apples to oranges..
    www.myspace.com
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    what isn't? I mean really

This is clearly where you and I differ.
    The music industry like all others, even the artists want to make money, you must see that.

Most everyone would like to be a millionaire, most especially after a taste of it.
    Some can do that while doing something they love, this the cherry on top.
    Life is very good for those few amongst the billions.
    pandora...come on. pj and american idol?

talk about comparing apples to oranges..
    tell me beautiful dog did you really miss my point that much?
    it's fake to me
    to me it's about popularity with the bubble gum kids or something
    it's commercialized shitfest

friends of mine that watch it, i believe they are weak minded and uncreative
    these are my pals...???? fuck
    i am scrapping the bottom of the barrel

:mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    it's fake to me

no you are being incredibly judgemental :lol:
    pandora wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    it's fake to me

no you are being incredibly judgemental :lol:
    yes i am
    i do that a lot

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."