EDDIE VEDDER TRASHES AMERICA IDOL

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
EDDIE VEDDER TRASHES AMERICAN IDOL & REALITY TELEVISION

There is a great new interview up with Eddie Vedder on Surfline.com. Some really great stories from Eddie, here are a couple of excerpts from the article. First off, Eddie talking about reality television and American Idol:

“I think everybody should own a ukulele. People need a way to express themselves, they just do. It’s not like they don’t have time to learn because obviously, they’re watching shit like American Idol. Reality Shows offer nothing but hollow versions and the lowest common denominator of American lifestyles in 2011. I suggest turning off the TV and pick up the ukulele.”

Amen Eddie! Here is a quote from Eddie about how surfing to him relates to songwriting:

“The good songs ain’t ten yards offshore, being out there for ten minutes and coming back in and going back out. You gotta go deep, and get into some kind of mad-scientist phase at some point, to where the good stuff is. Like when you wake up the next morning and look at it or listen to it, whatever you’ve done and you don’t even really remember. It’s your voice, your handwriting but you don’t remember doing it. You gotta get to an extraordinary circumstance sometimes to get to the good stuff.”
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Good Stuff :mrgreen:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Go Eddie woooo!!! :D
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ed's badass
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I see his point about wasting away watching television especially reality television.

However, if someone is encouraged to write a song or express themselves through music because of American Idol, I really don't see the harm.

I don't necessarily enjoy the show, but there are many who are inspired to find their voice because of the show. Kudos to them.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Nice work eddie...everyone should do what he does to be happy. ;)

And I really hate a rock star lecturing me about time management.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    nice :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

most tv is useless crap, yes/no?
    i would take his advice rather than not...
    he's worth @ least 13 bucks and seems to be on his way to being a wise elder

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    chadwick wrote:

depends on how you want to define useless...sometime mind numbing tv can help one relax and prepare them for a good nights rest. Nothing wrong with that.

Most music is worthless crap too. :lol:
    hippiemom = goodness
    chadwick wrote:

depends on how you want to define useless...sometime mind numbing tv can help one relax and prepare them for a good nights rest. Nothing wrong with that.

Most music is worthless crap too. :lol:

true @ the most music is horse shit
    most anything out of control popular is shit or piss

why werent the beatles or the stones
    poop and urine stains?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    I see his point about wasting away watching television especially reality television.

However, if someone is encouraged to write a song or express themselves through music because of American Idol, I really don't see the harm.

I don't necessarily enjoy the show, but there are many who are inspired to find their voice because of the show. Kudos to them.

PBM
    Exactly...

Arent those people chasing the same fucking dream Ed chased????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435

PBM
    Exactly...

no, i'd bet that 99% of American Idol and Reality TV stars in general are trying to become 'stars' - it's not about art it's about fame and fortune.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    pjhawks wrote:

PBM
    Exactly...

no, i'd bet that 99% of American Idol and Reality TV stars in general are trying to become 'stars' - it's not about art it's about fame and fortune.
    Fame and fortune....

Pearl Jam has taken fortune to a new level the last couple years....
    $150 for re-issues of 20 year old albums???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    how soon we forget about the gas pumping days in San Diego
    i wonder if he had a ukulele then
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • I wonder if he has purchased a couple of ukes for his pukes.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's not about the people on american idol ... it's about the people who devote much of their non-working/sleeping time to the show and tv ... the simple fact is that what he speaks is rooted in a lot of truth ... americans are tied for the most hours watching television a week at around 28 hrs per person ... that's like 4 hrs a day ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    it's not about the people on american idol ... it's about the people who devote much of their non-working/sleeping time to the show and tv ... the simple fact is that what he speaks is rooted in a lot of truth ... americans are tied for the most hours watching television a week at around 28 hrs per person ... that's like 4 hrs a day ...

4 hours a day???
    wow - sounds a lot like this place.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    Exactly...

I agree with pjhawks

After this boom in reality talent shows and how they catapult people to lots of fame - be it 15 minutes or 15 years, overnight or not, good or bad - majority of people are just average joes who want fame and fortune.

Eddie and the rest of the band chased their dreams in a completely different way - They slaved away almost, being in bands, playing every night - Not just auditioning and having coaches to tell them what to sing, how to sing, how to act, how they should look etc.

I totally understand the demands and admire these people who go on those shows - some of them are pretty extraordinary and they are just wanting to take the opportunity to chase their dream. Heck, if PJ hadn't happened for the band, who knows if they would ever turn up on one of those shows? I seriously doubt it but then I don't know them personally, do I? But unfortunately, now these shows are a business and it's not even about getting real talented, musicians/singers whatever - it's about selling people to get money. $$$

just my $0.02.
    Eddie and the rest of the band chased their dreams in a completely different way - They slaved away almost, being in bands, playing every night - Not just auditioning and having coaches to tell them what to sing, how to sing, how to act, how they should look etc.

A lot of these folks have paid dues as well. If they can use this as a catalyst for a career in music, I can't fault them.

Are reality shows getting out of hand? Should we turn off the television and do something more productive? Yes.

But, again, I don't fault those who have a passion for music and try to live out their dream.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Eddie and the rest of the band chased their dreams in a completely different way - They slaved away almost, being in bands, playing every night - Not just auditioning and having coaches to tell them what to sing, how to sing, how to act, how they should look etc.

A lot of these folks have paid dues as well. If they can use this as a catalyst for a career in music, I can't fault them.

Are reality shows getting out of hand? Should we turn off the television and do something more productive? Yes.

But, again, I don't fault those who have a passion for music and try to live out their dream.

PBM

yeah I agree with you completely - some of them have as well. and it's totally fair that they use shows as a way to get a career in music but so much of it's controlled and stuff, and not even about the music anymore - that's all i meant. the struggles for people like Eddie and someone actually going on the show - I'm talking about when they are actually on the show week after week - are completely different though IMO.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334

PBM
    99% of those people have no business being "inspired" in the first place and the other 1% don't deserve fame if they can't make it on their own merit... the whole show is one big ford/coke commercial... worst thing since the mickey mouse club
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    edited June 2011
    i haven't had a television in over 3 years or so. to me that is exhilarating. i've only saw american idol a handfull of times. and let me tell you something... i'm not missing much

i can't say i've ever watch a reality show more than 3 minutes

i am thrilled with my life but honestly every once in awhile i'll want tv back but soon that passes and im content again.

everybody loves raymond... (um, no they do not)
    not a reality show or american idol
    but damn that is one stupid ass show that is 100% unfunny
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    99% of those people have no business being "inspired" in the first place and the other 1% don't deserve fame if they can't make it on their own merit... the whole show is one big ford/coke commercial... worst thing since the mickey mouse club

The auditions bring out a lot of folks who really need to practice more or hang it up. However, once they move forward, they do have a lot of talented singers.

I may not enjoy their type of music, but I can appreciate the fact that they do have some form of talent.

As for Coke and Ford...advertising is everywhere. Even Edward can't escape that: US Bank Arena, Jiffy Lube Live, etc.

PBM

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Well, I gotta say, I hardly think saying American Idol is 'shit' counts as a trashing. :lol:

Aaanyway, having viewed a bit of Jersey Shore today, I can't say I'm a big fan of reality TV. Something like Amazing Race (though I'm not sure if that counts as proper Reality TV) is pretty alright, but all this Big Brother type of crap is.. Well, pretty crap. :P

American Idol I find can be pretty corny at times and the constant "drama" gets a little too much sometimes, but every now and then there are some pretty dang good singers there. It's a whole another story whether we ever hear from them again after the show's done. I'm reminded of an episode of said show where a winner (I think..?) from a previous season came in to sing "don't you forget about me" and his name didn't ring any bells with me. :mrgreen:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMI wrote:
    Well, I gotta say, I hardly think saying American Idol is 'shit' counts as a trashing. :lol:

Aaanyway, having viewed a bit of Jersey Shore today, I can't say I'm a big fan of reality TV. Something like Amazing Race (though I'm not sure if that counts as proper Reality TV) is pretty alright, but all this Big Brother type of crap is.. Well, pretty crap. :P

American Idol I find can be pretty corny at times and the constant "drama" gets a little too much sometimes, but every now and then there are some pretty dang good singers there. It's a whole another story whether we ever hear from them again after the show's done. I'm reminded of an episode of said show where a winner (I think..?) from a previous season came in to sing "don't you forget about me" and his name didn't ring any bells with me. :mrgreen:

I prefer Jershey Shore over American Idol. or any of those other talent shows TBH
    It's just too hilarious - I used to be disgusted with it but my sister soon turned me around and I think it's pretty funny.
    I think it's alright to like and watch those kinds of shows - but not all the time, moderation is obviously needed. As to going on those shows, however hypocritical this may be of me, I would never. :lol:
    I prefer Jershey Shore over American Idol. or any of those other talent shows TBH
    It's just too hilarious - I used to be disgusted with it but my sister soon turned me around and I think it's pretty funny.
    I think it's alright to like and watch those kinds of shows - but not all the time, moderation is obviously needed. As to going on those shows, however hypocritical this may be of me, I would never. :lol:

I agree that Jersey Shore can be hilarious, for sure. :mrgreen: Some of those guys even sometimes seem like ok folks to me (only sometimes), but especially today, the drama and apparent lack of any sort of common sense just irked me too much. There's no way a vacuous, air-headed show like that should rile me up as much as it did tonight. :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMI wrote:

I agree that Jersey Shore can be hilarious, for sure. :mrgreen: Some of those guys even sometimes seem like ok folks to me (only sometimes), but especially today, the drama and apparent lack of any sort of common sense just irked me too much. There's no way a vacuous, air-headed show like that should rile me up as much as it did tonight. :lol:

Yeah I totally understand - sometimes I get a bit alarmed at how engrossed I can become. Also, sometimes I feel bad that I'm enjoying a show that is making a spectacle of a bunch of human beings. It isn't exactly fair or respectful - But then I see that the Situation made $4 million last year alone and I feel justified :lol:
    eMMI wrote:

Yeah I totally understand - sometimes I get a bit alarmed at how engrossed I can become. Also, sometimes I feel bad that I'm enjoying a show that is making a spectacle of a bunch of human beings. It isn't exactly fair or respectful - But then I see that the Situation made $4 million last year alone and I feel justified :lol:

Holy cow, four million dollars, are you serious? :shock: But all he does is change his shirt a squillion times and talk about grenades. :?

I don't so much feel bad about enjoying the show (if and when I do), more weirded out by the fact that these people are pretty much in the same age group as myself and they seem to act like teenagers. :P
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Fame and fortune....

Pearl Jam has taken fortune to a new level the last couple years....
    $150 for re-issues of 20 year old albums???
    I think that was part of the Sony/Epic contract. The band really isn't interested in going back to the old stuff and they've made that point in many interviews. Sony is milking whatever they can left of the band.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:

are you serious...4 hrs a day...the only time I watch that much TV is NHL playoffs, football season...come the summer...i don't even watch 4 hours a week...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    To me it's just a Karaoke contest...Pearl Jam and Eddie write their own music, play their own instruments, perform live without being coached in front of crowds, who are being told how to behave on cue. I prefer the bands I follow to write their own music and play their own instruments...most of the bands I follow also had to scratch and claw to get record contracts.

The worst part of the show for me is that I work with these 2 guys who just talk about the show like 2 school girls...both in their 40's...gag...