The CYCLING THREAD: Road, Freestyle, Mountain Bikers..

13»

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone following the giro!??

one thing i enjoy about watching cycling is that it is really a combat sport in disguise ... there are guys who's job it is is to put as much hurt into other cyclists as much as possible ... they go balls out and then fade away just to put other people in the red zone ...
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I've watched bits and pieces the last couple of days. trying to watch on-line and work too. I saw the big crash on Monday at the finish, and have been following the Ferrari controversey. The most amazing thing though, was the buy bunny hopping over Cav after Cav went down. I can't get over that - talk about superb bike handling skills.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    steephill.tv has links to sites you can stream it ... i watched the TTT yesterday ...

sprint finish today - won't spoil it but want to add that my buddy who watched on tv said liquigas destroyed a lot of sprinters on the small climg leading to the sprint finish ... haha ... bring the pain!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    polaris_x wrote:
    steephill.tv has links to sites you can stream it ... i watched the TTT yesterday ...

sprint finish today - won't spoil it but want to add that my buddy who watched on tv said liquigas destroyed a lot of sprinters on the small climg leading to the sprint finish ... haha ... bring the pain!

Say what channel is this being shown on so I can make a note of is?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Say what channel is this being shown on so I can make a note of is?

Peace

i think it's being broadcast in the US with nbc universal sports ... not sure what channel that is ...

GO RYDER!! ... if he's lucky - he should be able to hold onto pink till stage 12
    Is that the same channel that used to Versus....if it is I'll find out when it's being shown so i can watch. There's nothing like watching the major cycling races.

Odd thing happened to me at work....I leave to go to BJ's to get my glasses cleaned and adjusted. The lady behind the counter was an older lady 50 minimum. However, she caught my eyes with her LEGS :o ...Man they looked like a 22 year old...heavy muscled definition.....i mean her calf's were almost as big as mine in the male-female portions.

So I stuck small talk while she took care of my glasses (the whole time I'm trying to figure out what she's been doing to get her legs to look like that) somehow I brought up cycling and cycling to work. Wow I opened a can of worms she cycled in the same areas as I do on AIA on the ocean in the Lake Worth area. I told I want to continue training to cycle around the big Lake Okeechobee 116 miles and she gave me her number to do a group ride on Saturday....I might be up for that just need some new tires though my current ones are worn to the threads. See what cycling can do for you...give you that SuperHero definition and look.

Oh so nice. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

FernandezParacyclingTW2_10_12-258-280x421.jpg

...and I will sometimes bitch about an ocean 25 mph headwind....just ride baby to ride the wind.

Peace

Watching the Tour Of California and they can change a flat in 8-10 seconds. WOW, I could use them from time to time out on the road. It probably would take me 5-10 minutes using my Co2 inflater and replacing the tube.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Watching the Tour Of California and they can change a flat in 8-10 seconds. WOW, I could use them from time to time out on the road. It probably would take me 5-10 minutes using my Co2 inflater and replacing the tube.

Peace

big ride from gesink on baldy ... horner got decimated on the TT - basically killed his race ...

the GIRO is entering the 3rd and final week today ... and it's wide open ...

scarponi, basso, rodriguez and hesjedal with an outside chance if he can limit his losses and TT like crazy ...
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    What are good rules for riding in a city e.g., Washington, DC?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

* wear a helmet
    * have proper lights, bells, etc
    * anticipate traffic (cars turning that don't signal, people opening doors, pedestrians, etc.)
    * make your presence known (if you are riding in a semi lane with parked cars - do not go to the curb where there is a gap in cars and then come out ... establish a line so that you are also predictable to drivers
    * i don't know DC but i would also recommend knowing the streets ... some are going to be more bike friendly than others ... look for streets with bike lanes to plan your route ... i will sometimes go a little further if it's a route that offers less traffic/lights/etc ...
    WOW ... First Canadian to win a Grand Tour!!!!!

HISTORY!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl7dfjtfYrZKe9q7oGLaNOlRJIx5KnPmY6tmLXi3LqNMywaIU0Ow

way to go Ryder!!!
    polaris_x wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

* wear a helmet
    * have proper lights, bells, etc
    * anticipate traffic (cars turning that don't signal, people opening doors, pedestrians, etc.)
    * make your presence known (if you are riding in a semi lane with parked cars - do not go to the curb where there is a gap in cars and then come out ... establish a line so that you are also predictable to drivers
    * i don't know DC but i would also recommend knowing the streets ... some are going to be more bike friendly than others ... look for streets with bike lanes to plan your route ... i will sometimes go a little further if it's a route that offers less traffic/lights/etc ...

All of the above are great advice....I would also add having a whistle would be good if you are uncertain or unfamiliar of your route. I rode to work from New Carrollton MD to DC not far from the National Cathedral for years. Some parts of my route of 14 miles had bike lanes and some did not. stay alert at all times in that people their are always in a hurry and dart out from side streets even store fronts. I always like riding during rush hour in that I ended up riding fatser than people in their cars....loved that. :D

peace

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKH8S8YoD9Y9DyUbcBKAQWp-uzyRzd8yGXu_F04Fdssu0pz3fL

yes ... that is a hockey stick!
    Anybody watching the Tour this year?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,953
    Anybody watching the Tour this year?

Of course. Who has their fantasy tour team set up?
    I don't even know how those fantasy team games work. But I'm pretty sure if I had done it prior to the race, I wouldn't have much of a team left. The race has been a rather disappointing one for me. I sure don't like Wiggans.
    anyone see the route for the 2013 giro? ... looks awesome ... mountain time trial ... they don't do enough of those ... hopefully both contador and wiggins ride it ...
    any of the cycling fans still around? ... gonna be an awesome season ... outside of andy shleck - all the main guys seem healthy and on schedule ...

giro starts this weekend ... wiggins looks to be starting his shot at doing the giro/tour double ... his recent remarks have got to irk Chris Froome ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    any of the cycling fans still around? ... gonna be an awesome season ... outside of andy shleck - all the main guys seem healthy and on schedule ...

giro starts this weekend ... wiggins looks to be starting his shot at doing the giro/tour double ... his recent remarks have got to irk Chris Froome ... :lol:

I've been so busy of late that I haven't taken time to keep up too much with what's going on. I check Cycling News occasionally and the Froome/Wiggo talk seems to dominate the threads there as well as my Twitter feed. Is NBC sports going to televise the Giro?
    I've been so busy of late that I haven't taken time to keep up too much with what's going on. I check Cycling News occasionally and the Froome/Wiggo talk seems to dominate the threads there as well as my Twitter feed. Is NBC sports going to televise the Giro?

pretty sure universalsports will televise the giro ... as most of the stages occur when i'm at work ... i stream online ... i'm in canada so i don't know if they show live or tape delayed in the states ...

it's gonna be a great giro ... i think the long TT is gonna suit wiggins - but if sky have to control the race for 2+ weeks - it's gonna be hard ... i don't know if uran and henao are like porte in terms of being willing to work on the front and blow their load ... the attacks will come ... nibali, scarponi, hesjedal, gesink, evans ... not sure they have the team to control the race like that ... especially for 3 weeks ...