The CYCLING THREAD: Road, Freestyle, Mountain Bikers..

g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
OH YES, it's that time of the year when the weather has changed, the sun is unending (drought...beyond extreme levels) here in South Florida. Most bike enthusiasts are or should be working on getting those bikes ready for the rest of the year.

The Giro Di Italia is in full force...the Tour De France is coming up in July the the Tour then the
Vuelta a Espana, it's that time of the year to dust off those bikes. I did yesterday when I rode to work.... 24 miles there 24 coming back. Mostly beautiful energized riding along the Oceanfront on AIA all the way up north on the Palm Beach coast. Average speed 20 mph with cramps on the way back home, I didn't eat or drank enough at work.

With a combo of spinning classes, diet and now cycling to work I've dropped around 40lbs. Too nervous to get on a scale from last year.
So anyone else have any good plans? Anyone doing any trips? Any races? Any goals? Anyone planning to get in shape by biking? Tell us about your machine!

20102828-128093.jpg...This ever happen to you?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the giro has been over for a week ... ;)

i'm a commuter strictly ... but i am helping my friend put together an off-road duathalon and triathalon here in ontario ... so ... any mountain bikers in ontario looking for a race ... lemme know!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    polaris_x wrote:
    the giro has been over for a week ... ;)

i'm a commuter strictly ... but i am helping my friend put together an off-road duathalon and triathalon here in ontario ... so ... any mountain bikers in ontario looking for a race ... lemme know!

I know, that's what happens when one gets too excited about cycling. I going to pick up my mountain bike later this summer...there's plenty of places out here in this horse country to ride. I found these places riding our ATV's, more exciting than these long flat roads here in S Florida. Either way I'll keep on riding.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 228
    My wife and I are getting anxious to take our bikes off the trainers and ride them outside. She's in the midst of studying for a psychology licensing exam, but that will be done in a week and then the outdoor cycling will begin! We have a lot of great farmland around here that is great for summer riding.
    edited June 2011
    http://www.southeastroads.com/florida00 ... sb_wpb.jpg

A view of the Atlantic Ocean along AIA passing expensive homes and clubs such as Donald Trump's
    Mar-A-Largo. I do face at times tremendous headwinds.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• I just did a 16 mile ride on my TriCross in Vermont that was called the Tour De Heifer. It was part of the annual Strolling of the Heifer weekend which benefits and promotes local farms in the state.

http://www.strollingoftheheifers.com/tour-de-heifer
    http://www.strollingoftheheifers.com/home

I live in Massachusetts so the ride was in an area that was totally new to me.

A few of my friends and I are planning a ride from Plymouth, MA to the end of Cape Cod. It's about 70 miles, and we're going to split it over two days so we can ride in the morning and enjoy the beach in the afternoon.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,953
    Congrats on the 40 lbs! Cycling's a great way to burn gobs of calories without beating the crap out of your body.

I've been commuting for 16 years by bike, also do road and mountain. I'm going to do a duathlon in a couple weeks (5k run, 30k road ride, 5k run). And then a couple charity rides later in the summer, one being a gran fondo Chris Horner is putting on. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the podium in July (class act all around).

I have a 10 year old co-motion road bike that is sweet. I occasionally get tempted by the new fancy stuff, until I get back on my bike. For mountain: Santa Cruz Superlight. Commuting: Specialized Langster single-speed.
  • I took my Mt Bike out for a short ride yesterday and after a small 6ft drop my derailer link thingy broke when I landed :cry: . When I stopped and lifted my bike to see what happened the rear tire fell off. Not a good start to the riding season. Now my bike is at the shop for a $100 fix up and I found out that I'm too rough for the bike that I ride. Looks like it's time for a better bike. :D
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Falling happens to me a lot cause i do the extreme part of Mtb,Freeride&Downhill... :D
    Wheels first leaving the ground and face returns the first...I ride with full protection gear so never got seriously wounded sofar..I ride an Intense Uzzi Vpx,its a handmade,frame only builder from the Usa and this bike is build from frame to full bike at self chosen parts..Its rides real steady and stay stabil during hard cornering and big jumps...Its the most expensive thing i own,but it also has the greatest fun factor... :)

Greetzz and keep tha wheelz rollin..

Appie

http://appie.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike ... -Uzzi-Vpx/
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    My Guest Blog @ BicyclingHub.com!

SPRINT TO THE FINISH BUT KEEP THE MIND RACING: that's what guest columnist Maryanne Caruso advises when it comes to cultivating a mental state of patience, persistence and determination. Read her full article on our Blog: http://bicyclinghub.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... acing.html
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Started commuting last year...wrecked and tore my ACL. I've gotten back at it a couple times this year. Still kinda scary, but I'm definitely looking forward to get some more time on my bike.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Congrats on the 40 lbs! Cycling's a great way to burn gobs of calories without beating the crap out of your body.

I've been commuting for 16 years by bike, also do road and mountain. I'm going to do a duathlon in a couple weeks (5k run, 30k road ride, 5k run). And then a couple charity rides later in the summer, one being a gran fondo Chris Horner is putting on. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the podium in July (class act all around).

I have a 10 year old co-motion road bike that is sweet. I occasionally get tempted by the new fancy stuff, until I get back on my bike. For mountain: Santa Cruz Superlight. Commuting: Specialized Langster single-speed.

Thanks, it helps giving up meat this year in dropping those 40 lbs. I have a 10 year old Raliegh R800 carbon fiber. Changed out most if not all of the components to Dura Ace and some $1200 RACING RIMS, it's light and built for speed in a two toned purple/blue depending on which way the sun shines on it.

At the moment I have nothing planned as far as rides but as I get in really great riding shape I plan on riding around that big lake here in Florida....that's called Lake Okeechobee....116 miles around. It will be my 10th century sometime in the fall when the weather kools a bit and ess of a threat of rain.

Peace

RW81233 wrote:
    Started commuting last year...wrecked and tore my ACL. I've gotten back at it a couple times this year. Still kinda scary, but I'm definitely looking forward to get some more time on my bike.

How'd you tear your ACL? The only time of heard of that from a cycling injury is when some crazy downhill mountain biker eats it.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

How'd you tear your ACL? The only time of heard of that from a cycling injury is when some crazy downhill mountain biker eats it.

Easy all you have to do is hit a tree sideways.

Peace

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    loving the new Dutchess County Rail Trail! can grind out 27 miles safely and scenically and quickly on my road bike.

had to order a few parts for my mountain bike before i jump on some single track!

just finished modifying a fixie i put together

I <3 BIKES
    g under p wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Peace

Probably weren't commuting then, were you?
    RW81233 wrote:

Go Beavers wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

Peace

What, you don't have any trees on your commute? :)

Peace

Go Beavers wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

Peace

What, you don't have any trees on your commute? :)

Peace[/quote]

My worst crash was when I hit a trash can riding home from work at night. I wish it was a tree, because then I'd have a good story to go with it!
    I rode to work on Wednesday after suffering from cramps on the way home on Monday. I didn't eat any lunch or drink much and it caught up with me in a big way.

Today, I rode the 48 miles averaging 22 mph...I was on a mission to show myself Monday's troubles was a fluke..it took about 1:09 minutes and NO cramps.

BTW THE BRUINS won on both days I rode to work scoring 12 goals! I riding on Friday and I hope this will continue. :D

Peace

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    g under p wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Peace
    Freak accident. It was the last day of class last year, and I was commuting during a bad time (rush hour north of BMore), and decided to get off the road and on the sidewalk. Long story short I hit a bump, stared fishtailing, put my feet down to stop, my right knee buckled, and wrecked hard. Luckily it was the last day of class and I always take my kids for a beer, and one of my students was a former bike mechanic, picked me up, fixed my bike, put it in his SUV, and drove me to the bar.
    RW81233 wrote:

RW81233 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

Peace
    Freak accident. It was the last day of class last year, and I was commuting during a bad time (rush hour north of BMore), and decided to get off the road and on the sidewalk. Long story short I hit a bump, stared fishtailing, put my feet down to stop, my right knee buckled, and wrecked hard. Luckily it was the last day of class and I always take my kids for a beer, and one of my students was a former bike mechanic, picked me up, fixed my bike, put it in his SUV, and drove me to the bar.

Say what, you didn't want to go to a hospital? That had to be very painful.

While riding school on my way to work at Denny's graveyard shift....some baffoons decided to run me off the road from a side street late one night. I was able to maneuver my then red Schirin out of the way...they fishtailed then overcorrected and went over into a deep ditch and crashed. I busted out laughing hard while they all came out ok their car was STILL there in the morning on my way back home. I laughed once again.

Peace

Rode to work yesterday and faced some gail force headwinds which knocked my average speed down to 15 mph. On the way back is was sheer fun....the smell of the Atlantic Ocean spray and the crashing of the waves against the beach was too kool. I couldn't stop to take it all in though....especially with Joe Satriani jamming *Crystal Planet* and more from his Anthology.

Going for a short easy ride South away from the ocean towards Boca Raton tomorrow about 30 miles round trip. It will be new and interesting even though it's long and flat.

Peace

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,526
    got a trek mulit track 7200. in fact it is sitting right here next to me.

i'm lucky to live right next to some pretty cool trails. like to get out there pretty regularly but this year i've been slacking.

i'm about 35 miles to philly and these trails go all the way in. once or twice a year i like to a do a round trip to the art museum.
    www.myspace.com
    MOOO-VE Over!!

http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ibere.html

What's your most bizarre encounter on a road or a trail.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Crazy accident story:

I love to mountain bike! Here in AZ, there are TON of great trails all over the state. For a while, almost every weekend, I was throwing the bike in the car and heading north to a new trail. I was getting my bike legs back and I was hitting some really tough trials...

One Friday I wasn't working I decided that I'm going to take the bike out and go for a ride. I have a bunch of bike trials (paved) by my place so I was going to go for a leisurely ride. It was a nice day so there were a lot of people out and about.
    A couple miles in, I pick up the pace a bit, was cruising along when some old guy on one of those modified/sit-down bikes, coming my way cuts into my lane. I swerve off the path (no big deal with a mountain bike, but it was exactly where a concrete drainage ditch was). Swerved to avoid it, front tire hit and the next thing I remember was being awoken by two EMTs. The immobilized me and hauled me off to the emergency room. I went face first over my handlebars into the pavement. Had to get a bunch of stitches above my right eye and my entire right side of my face and body were ripped up.
    The guy that cut me off didn't even stop!! :evil: Some couple going for a walk basically found me unconscious and bleeding and they called 911.

The EMTs were nice enough to put my bike in the back of the ambulance with me which sat next me in the ER as I was getting checked out. Bike got really trashed too. :(
    Sorry to hear mca47. I am glad you are OK. That's a shame that he didn't stop. I can't figure out the appeal of the recumbant (sp?) bikes but I guess people do like them. Anyway, as cyclists sometimes things are out of our control. The best we can do is be as vigilant as possible on the roads. Hope you heal quickly and can get back out there soon.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Sorry to hear mca47. I am glad you are OK. That's a shame that he didn't stop. I can't figure out the appeal of the recumbant (sp?) bikes but I guess people do like them. Anyway, as cyclists sometimes things are out of our control. The best we can do is be as vigilant as possible on the roads. Hope you heal quickly and can get back out there soon.

Yeah, it was about a year ago. Other than a couple of little scars, everything healed up.
    The crazy thing (and dumb thing really) was that I wasn't wearing my helmet. I figured that a seasoned mountain biker going for a leisurely ride on paved trails wouldn't need a helmet...so I left without it.

Got really, really lucky. Had I crashed at a different angle, it could have been really bad!! Actually, how I crashed, I landed mostly on my face and side so the helmet wouldn't have done much anyways...but still!! :shock: Lucked out!
    Lesson learned!
    edited June 2011
    mca47 wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:

Yeah, it was about a year ago. Other than a couple of little scars, everything healed up.
    The crazy thing (and dumb thing really) was that I wasn't wearing my helmet. I figured that a seasoned mountain biker going for a leisurely ride on paved trails wouldn't need a helmet...so I left without it.

Got really, really lucky. Had I crashed at a different angle, it could have been really bad!! Actually, how I crashed, I landed mostly on my face and side so the helmet wouldn't have done much anyways...but still!! :shock: Lucked out!
    Lesson learned!

Helmets are a must. :problem:
    Hope you're enjoying the trails!
    Post edited by PJGirl321 on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,526
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    MOOO-VE Over!!

http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ibere.html

What's your most bizarre encounter on a road or a trail.

i swear to god i almost ran into a billy goat or mountain goat or something on the perk trail near my place. there were 2 of them just hanging out in the middle of the trail eating something. whatever the hell they were, they both had horns and a long beardish looking thing. freaked me the hell out. i sped right past them. :lol:

here's the trail i'm talking about
    http://www.traillink.com/trail/perkiomen-trail.aspx
    www.myspace.com
    My crash story:

This was the trash can mentioned earlier. It was dark and the first time I rode this part at night. I had my headlight on too low and couldn't do anything by the time I saw the dark green colored trash can not contrasting with the black pavement. I hit that and ate the pavement bad. Broken wrist, broken arm, separated shoulder, and about 15 stitches in my chin and upper lip. I healed up fine (happened about 5 years ago) and have a slight scar on my upper lip. The injuries themselves didn't hurt too bad, the worst was the shots of anesthesia in my face (at least 4 or 5). I ended up mostly in the ditch to the side of the road. Two nice women stopped and took me to the ER. I can still picture the two little kids looks on their faces in the back seat seeing my face all ripped up. A little McCauley Caulkin-esque.

I see it as my reminder to ride with a little more awareness.

P.S. please wear a helmet. I've used mine a few times.
    edited June 2011
    g under p wrote:
    OH YES, it's that time of the year when the weather has changed, the sun is unending (drought...beyond extreme levels) here in South Florida. Most bike enthusiasts are or should be working on getting those bikes ready for the rest of the year.

The Giro Di Italia is in full force...the Tour De France is coming up in July the the Tour then the
    Vuelta a Espana, it's that time of the year to dust off those bikes. I did yesterday when I rode to work.... 24 miles there 24 coming back. Mostly beautiful energized riding along the Oceanfront on AIA all the way up north on the Palm Beach coast. Average speed 20 mph with cramps on the way back home, I didn't eat or drank enough at work.

With a combo of spinning classes, diet and now cycling to work I've dropped around 40lbs. Too nervous to get on a scale from last year.
    So anyone else have any good plans? Anyone doing any trips? Any races? Any goals? Anyone planning to get in shape by biking? Tell us about your machine!

20102828-128093.jpg...This ever happen to you?

Peace

I do a lot of road biking. Even in the winter, I layer up and ride unless the roads are covered with snow and/or ice. If that's the case then I am on a trainer. Since March I've been trying to ride 100+ miles per week and I like to incorporate as many hills as possible into riding. My belief is that I you can climb you can ride anywhere.

I ride with a team and I am a first year racer but I am not very good at it. I do however try and train like a racer. I enjoy long team rides more than going to a race and getting my butt kicked. :lol: So far this season I've done one century, although most of my rides are 50+ anyway. I am doing the 100 mile route on the NJ Gran Fondo on August 28 and that will be the focus of my training for the rest of the summer. Here is the link.http://granfondonj.com/home.html Registration is discounted 20% until 7/1 if you enter the code GFNJRELIABLE.

I love cycling. It's my passion. I have a blog, which some of you may have seen because I do post it here. It's http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/ :mrgreen:

I also follow pro cycling in the way most people follow football and baseball.

Thanks for starting this thread!!
    Post edited by PJGirl321 on