The CYCLING THREAD: Road, Freestyle, Mountain Bikers..

Comments

• booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    I'll hop on my CAAD 9, any chance i get :D
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    booomm11 wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: 8-)
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,953
    booomm11 wrote:

My body says handmade steel is where it's at!
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I ride a Serotta Fierte (titanium) road bike. Love that bike. I mostly train by myself, although do an organized or group ride occasionally. I like to compete in triathlons although running is my strongest discipline. Can't swim worth a darn. Cycling I'm usually in the middle of my age group.

I recently bought a Gary Fisher hardtail 29er mountain bike. It is an entry level bike because I rarely mountain bike. I had an old GT, but decided I needed a newer mnt. bike. I love mountain biking but I have no skills and thus end up being extremely cautious, which causes as many problems as being daring I think.

We are going to Colorado in August to see a few stages of the USA Pro Challenge and so a friend and I can run the Pike's Peak Ascent. I am taking my mountain bike as I would love to do some of the trails out there, but not sure I will be able too. Also taking the road bike. Keep in mind that I live at 350feet above sea level. I hope I'm able to do something at high altitude.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    I ride a Serotta Fierte (titanium) road bike. Love that bike. I mostly train by myself, although do an organized or group ride occasionally. I like to compete in triathlons although running is my strongest discipline. Can't swim worth a darn. Cycling I'm usually in the middle of my age group.

I recently bought a Gary Fisher hardtail 29er mountain bike. It is an entry level bike because I rarely mountain bike. I had an old GT, but decided I needed a newer mnt. bike. I love mountain biking but I have no skills and thus end up being extremely cautious, which causes as many problems as being daring I think.

We are going to Colorado in August to see a few stages of the USA Pro Challenge and so a friend and I can run the Pike's Peak Ascent. I am taking my mountain bike as I would love to do some of the trails out there, but not sure I will be able too. Also taking the road bike. Keep in mind that I live at 350feet above sea level. I hope I'm able to do something at high altitude.

I would love to go to the Pro Challenge in CO but I've been unemployed for a while and obviously have to curtail my spending until things turn around. I would've have like to go to Amgen this year - and wanted to ride in the Pro Am stage 7 on May 7 but just couldn't swing it.

If you are fit (which it sounds like you are) and can handle a high aerobic capacity on the bike, you should be OK in CO. Just give yourself a few days to adjust and don't drink. I've seen partying ruin many a ski trip to the Rockies. :roll: :lol: Or plan your ride closer to the Denver/Boulder area rather than at the higher elevations. Have fun!
    PJgirl, too bad you can't make it to a couple of stages. We are planning vacation around it. Planning on running the Pike's Peak Ascent on a Saturday (8/20 I think), and then watch the Prologue in Colorado Springs on Monday, Stage 1 at Monarch Pass on Tuesday, and watch Stage 2 from Cottonwood Pass on Wednesday. Then do some hiking and biking for a couple of days after that before heading back to low, low altitude.

I won't have much time to acclimate. We will arrive in Co.Springs on Thursday evening, then I have to run up Pike's Peak on Barr Trail on Saturday morning (will probably do as much walking as running but only have 6.5 hours to complete it). We hiked it in 2007 with full hiking gear and carrying all water, and wearing boots and it took 10 hours or so, but my husband wasn't in the best of shape so I did a lot of waiting for him. I didn't have any problems but I wasn't trying to run either.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    PJgirl, too bad you can't make it to a couple of stages. We are planning vacation around it. Planning on running the Pike's Peak Ascent on a Saturday (8/20 I think), and then watch the Prologue in Colorado Springs on Monday, Stage 1 at Monarch Pass on Tuesday, and watch Stage 2 from Cottonwood Pass on Wednesday. Then do some hiking and biking for a couple of days after that before heading back to low, low altitude.

I won't have much time to acclimate. We will arrive in Co.Springs on Thursday evening, then I have to run up Pike's Peak on Barr Trail on Saturday morning (will probably do as much walking as running but only have 6.5 hours to complete it). We hiked it in 2007 with full hiking gear and carrying all water, and wearing boots and it took 10 hours or so, but my husband wasn't in the best of shape so I did a lot of waiting for him. I didn't have any problems but I wasn't trying to run either.

WOW! That's hard core stuff! :thumbup:
    Yeah, I want to get to one of the tours. I like the Giro and tour de Suisse. Tour de Suisse is exciting because of the beauty. Plus it's Cancellara's (who is my favorite pro) home turf although he's not having a good tour this year.

I do have a big ride on August 28 - the NJ gran fondo. It's 103 miles and close to 10,000 feet of climbing :geek: so I really need to be here during that time anyway.

The only thing I am doing this summer is Pearl Jam in Montreal -- and I'm fine with that! :D
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    I ride my Chumba EVO all over the mountains close to where I live. A few trails are bike only, but most of them are for ATV use and they get trashed by mid July. What was a nice solid trail becomes either a rock garden of loose cobble rock or pure sand just waiting to tweak the front end out from under you.

I have quite a stable of rides in the garage tight now, at last count there are 13 bikes, from my daughters pink GT Bump BMX bike, my old Trek 6500 from the early 90's, a relic K2 5000 with SmartShocks....

My son has a Kona Stinky Deluxe, daughter is on a Kona Coiler Deluxe, and my wife is now riding a Kona Kikapu. I love my Chumba, but its making a few more noises than I like this season, probably due to all the mud and snow we are STILL riding in. My daughter and I tried to make a four mile loop where we own some property and had to turn around because some places the snow was still 3-5 ft deep!!!!! This is at about 9000ft, but its usually gone by now.

We also love riding Deer Valley in Park City, Utah but with this years snowpack that is double the average, we may not see the top of Bald Mtn until August.

I'll try to post some pics of our rides and our fav trails, as you all should too.

Dave
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    WOW! I can't imagine still having that much snow, or even getting that much snow in the first place. We've been fighting 95+ temps until the last couple of days. I guess it is all of that snowpack that is causing the Missouri River to flood. We are just getting rid of the floodwaters (Ohio River) from May. We had a bad Spring riding season due to rain and then the high water which covered so many roads. Just now getting back to normal, except for the extremely early high temps, although we have had a reprieve the last few days - highs only in the 80's.

So many of our mnt. bike trails/hiking trails in Shawnee National Forest (Southern Illinois) have been destroyed by ATV's. Once they come in, they destroy, and the NEVER do any trail maintenance to repair their damage. It is actually illegal to ride them in SNF, but the Forest Service refuses to enforce any of their own rules so they run rampant. The Forest Service acquired TVA Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky several years ago, but kept their rules. At LBL there are designated trails exclusively for ATV's, mountain bikes/hikers, and horses. Thus we are kept separate, and that works well. The mountain bikers in our area do almost all of the maintenance on the trails they use.

We have so many bikes. My husband and I buy bikes, but never seem to get rid of our old ones. We always think of a use for them, but we are running out of room.

If I can ever figure out how to post photos, or more specifically, find photos that meet the size requirements I will post some.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Plus it's Cancellara's (who is my favorite pro) home turf although he's not having a good tour this year.

he won the prologue and will probably win the ending TT ... that's all he cares about ... looks like most of the TDF contenders are using the TDS as training rides ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Plus it's Cancellara's (who is my favorite pro) home turf although he's not having a good tour this year.

he won the prologue and will probably win the ending TT ... that's all he cares about ... looks like most of the TDF contenders are using the TDS as training rides ...

I understand that and I get that he is not an "all-rounder"...but overall I think he generally does better in the GC. He is not having a great year in general. He had no support in Paris Roubiaix from his team and I think if he did he would have won. Granted I know he came in second which is great but he was the favorite going in. The hope is for Frank Schleck to defend Tour de Suisse and I am sure Cancellara wants to do his part there, too.
    Wow, what a way to go.... :(

http://www.cycling-inform.com/reader-st ... frank-papp

RIP Frank Papp
    Written by Alan Baker
    23 June 2011
    Reader Stories

It is with great sadness that I advise that Frank Papp died on 22 June, several days after colliding with a kangaroo while riding at night in northern New South Wales.

Frank was one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet and loved riding his bike. He would always go the extra mile to help out and was in the middle of planning a 1000 for next year - we still plan to run it in his honour so look out for Beaches and Beyond in Queensland the first weekend in September 2012.

A strong rider, he had mastered the art of not wasting time at controls while always having enough time for a chat. He maintained a cheerful demeanour whatever the circumstances even on the recent 400 where the flood-damaged roads destroyed 2 tyres and 5 tubes. He still finished well in time!

Having qualified for PBP, Frank was looking forward to it keenly. Such a shame he won't be there.

This is an article Frank wrote last year about his recovery after a previous serious injury:

http://www.cycling-inform.com/reader-st ... ent-enough

The last para is particularly poignant now:

"As bad as my injuries have been, I know there are others out there who have sustained worse and recovered. I take my hat off to them. I hope my story inspires others to just give it a go. You only get one chance in life, or in my case, two!"

Vale Frank. We'll miss you.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,526
    i'll be taking my bike down to the outer banks tomorrow.

never been there before. looking forward to exploring the island...
    www.myspace.com
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

The OBX is awwesome fun place to visit for rest and relaxation. We vacationed their for many years mostly in the northern areas Corrolla/Duck to get away from the hustle of Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills strip. I usually rode my bike from Corrolla to Nags Head early mornings about 60 miles round trip. Beautiful and scenic as you can see the ocean and the intercoastal waters even with headwinds coming back home.

Well have a great time...I caught my first Marlin 25 miles off the Banks, just don't get caught in any hurricanes as we did in '98 Bonnie I think it was. 8-)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    I took my Mt Bike out for a short ride yesterday and after a small 6ft drop my derailer link thingy broke when I landed :cry: . When I stopped and lifted my bike to see what happened the rear tire fell off. Not a good start to the riding season. Now my bike is at the shop for a $100 fix up and I found out that I'm too rough for the bike that I ride. Looks like it's time for a better bike. :D
    6 foot drop is pretty deep
    my bones would ache
    goodluck
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    g under p wrote:

The OBX is awwesome fun place to visit for rest and relaxation. We vacationed their for many years mostly in the northern areas Corrolla/Duck to get away from the hustle of Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills strip. I usually rode my bike from Corrolla to Nags Head early mornings about 60 miles round trip. Beautiful and scenic as you can see the ocean and the intercoastal waters even with headwinds coming back home.

Well have a great time...I caught my first Marlin 25 miles off the Banks, just don't get caught in any hurricanes as we did in '98 Bonnie I think it was. 8-)

Peace

Oh I forgot to ask do you have a mountain or road bike? I usually took both.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I'm riding down south again towards Boca Raton maybe a 50 mile roundtrip depending on the weather. It's now the rainy season as we now get more amd more much needed rain.

I worked on my road bike today broke it down, cleaned and lubricated it. Inspected it, reversed my tires and noticed they need to be replaced badly.

Anyone know of some excellent road tires that cost less than a $75 each?

I rode over 150 miles last week and only 75 this week due to weather situations. I plan on putting in about 200 miles this upcoming week depending on what our S. Florida weather will do. Today I spent $78 bucks on gas some 23 gallons, I hope that should last atleast two weeks.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    I'm riding down south again towards Boca Raton maybe a 50 mile roundtrip depending on the weather. It's now the rainy season as we now get more amd more much needed rain.

Vittoria Diamanté Pro road are around 65 each and are pretty good.

I worked on my road bike today broke it down, cleaned and lubricated it. Inspected it, reversed my tires and noticed they need to be replaced badly.

I rode over 150 miles last week and only 75 this week due to weather situations. I plan on putting in about 200 miles this upcoming week depending on what our S. Florida weather will do. Today I spent $78 bucks on gas some 23 gallons, I hope that should last atleast two weeks.

Peace
    Vittoria Diamanté Pro road tires are good and they cost around 65 each.
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Vittoria Diamanté Pro road tires are good and they cost around 65 each.

Thanks I've been looking at All sorts of tires and those should help. Something long lasting and can take the heat down here.

Rode to work yesterday in perfect condition cool after weekend rains and dead calm. The ride home for the first time I made it in 1:15 minutes....24 miles. Somewhat sore today so I thought I would take it easy in spin class but instead pushed myself to my top ATP and now I feel just great. :D

I'm feeling Lake Okeechobee is with in reach come October.

Peace

g under p wrote:

Peace

Continental Grand Prix 3000 tires are excellent. They have a good feel, wear well, and it's very rare that I get a flat.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,526
    g under p wrote:

Peace

i only wish there was another road other than route 12 that had better views of the water. we're in corolla. i haven't been going on that long of a trip. today i'm headed down to duck and back. it's about 30 miles. few hours and then i'll hit the beach. it's cool down here but i prefer the jersey shore.
    www.myspace.com

g under p wrote:

Peace

i only wish there was another road other than route 12 that had better views of the water. we're in corolla. i haven't been going on that long of a trip. today i'm headed down to duck and back. it's about 30 miles. few hours and then i'll hit the beach. it's cool down here but i prefer the jersey shore.

I've done that same ride from Duck to Corrolla and back, that's a good short ride. I miss seeing the wild horses that used to roam free in the early 90's. The one's that were left were moved north of Corrolla for their own safety where you only have axis with 4 wheel drive. OBX is very nice but the beaches here in Palm Beach FL are just as nice or even better. I gather there's no place like home.

My ride home from work on Friday was in the rain with not too much wind 1:27:00. Soaking wet and dangerous with the many Floridian drivers down here. I don't know how the Pros ride races in the rain but then again they have no cars and pedestrians to deal with. Made it home safely but my toukas is still hurting at this moment. Going for a short ride tomorrow somewhere new maybe join up with a group for a easy ride.

Peace

I'm going on vacation in Orlando....I hope to ride somewhere, get lost and somehow find my way back. :D

Peace

g under p wrote:

g under p wrote:

Peace

I've done that same ride from Duck to Corrolla and back, that's a good short ride. I miss seeing the wild horses that used to roam free in the early 90's. The one's that were left were moved north of Corrolla for their own safety where you only have axis with 4 wheel drive. OBX is very nice but the beaches here in Palm Beach FL are just as nice or even better. I gather there's no place like home.

My ride home from work on Friday was in the rain with not too much wind 1:27:00. Soaking wet and dangerous with the many Floridian drivers down here. I don't know how the Pros ride races in the rain but then again they have no cars and pedestrians to deal with. Made it home safely but my toukas is still hurting at this moment. Going for a short ride tomorrow somewhere new maybe join up with a group for a easy ride.

Peace

I've always heard Florida is bad with the drivers combined with the poor cycling infrastructure.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I've always heard Florida is bad with the drivers combined with the poor cycling infrastructure.

MOST of the roads here in Palm Beach County are in pretty good shape however the ones that are bad reminds me as if I was riding on bricks from Paris-Roubaix route. On most of the roads here are clearly marked bike lanes which I like and are much needed. I don't see the hustle and congestion of the DC Metro area...just the wide open long and straight roads down here. As good as the roads seem to be down here I've driven by numerous horrfic crashes here mainly due to speed and inattention while driving.

As nerve racking as it can be while riding here many drivers are very curtious to cyclists here. On Friday during the rain in Lake Worth Road a mailman held up traffic until I passed and all I could do was yell out a big thank you. People ARE rather curtious and nice down here. :D

Peace

Dusted off my bike and Went for a couple hours ride on our flat roads down here in Florida on a beautiful clear morning. Great ride fighting the east to west winds off the ocean able to hit 33.2 mph nice hamstring burn. :D

Peace

• Is anyone on Strava? We should list a Pearl Jam team if we can get few people on there. It's a fun site. I will list the team if I get a few responses. Here is my profile if anyone wants to follow me.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/41700
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/01/ ... ion_203023

Outside: In Febuary’s issue of Outside, Bill Gifford looks critically at the Livestrong Foundation and how its funds are spent. Many believe that Livestrong is in large part a means for Armstrong to boost his own credibility should he stand trial for doping charges. Questions began to arise regarding where the Livestrong Foundation spent its money once Greg Mortenson was exposed for using money donated to the foundation he promoted in Three Cups of Tea to promote his books.

The questions that Gifford ultimately found needed to be addressed were: where does Livestrong end and Armstrong begin, and what would come of one without the other.

“In a sense, Livestrong and Lance are like conjoined twins, each depending on the other for survival,” wrote Gifford. “Separating them—or even figuring out where one ends and the other begins—is no small task. The foundation is a major reason why sponsors are attracted to Armstrong; as his agent Bill Stapleton put it in 2001, his survivor story ‘broadened and deepened the brand … and then everybody wanted him.’ But the reverse is also true: Without Lance, Livestrong would be just another cancer charity scrapping for funds.”

Gifford did not uncover any legal misuse of Livestrong funds. That being said, he reported that, “Livestrong spends massively on adver­tising, PR, and ‘branding,’ all of which helps preserve Armstrong’s marketability at a time when he’s under fire. Meanwhile, Armstrong has used the goodwill of his foundation to cut business deals that have enriched him per­sonally, an ethically questionable move.”

Gifford found that the foundation unquestionably has some dubious financial dealings, including a for-profit active lifestyle website also called Livestrong. In addition, the foundation does not currently fund research, an endeavor many people still credit Livestrong for doing. According to Gifford, the benefit Armstrong gains most from the foundation is the image of himself as a charitable individual. Good press from his foundation gives him credibility for his good character when scandal allegations arise.

Conversely, should the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency uncover proof to substantiate Floyd Landis‘ doping accusations, Armstrong’s name would subsequently bring his foundation to ruin.

Gifford’s conclusion is that, “if Armstrong turns out to have used drugs, then It’s Not About the Bike — Livestrong’s creation myth — will ring just as false as Three Cups of Tea.”
    Schleck takes top spot - too bad it had to be this way -

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports ... our-title/

Peace