**HELP SPREAD THE WORD- 20 year old IU student missing**

13»

Comments

• bump.

Lots of farmers harvesting crops are finding missing people in their fields in the surrounding states. Why, why, why must anyone be harmed (1st) and disposed of so disrespectfully (2nd).

Pink Floyd and EV have said it best - (in song) "all we need is love, love, love"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just wow

The mother of an Indiana University student missing since June says she was hurt by an anonymous letter complaining about Bloomington being littered with search posters.

Charlene Spierer says she found the unsigned letter when checking the Bloomington post office box set up to receive tips about what happened to 20-year-old Lauren Spierer.

Spierer said the unsigned note addressed to her read, “We are sorry about your missing daughter, but don’t you think it’s time to do the right thing by Bloomington and stop littering our town with your posters?”

In a message posted Thursday on a website dedicated to the search, Spierer responded that "I wish we had never had to hang one single poster for our missing child. . .I apologize for our intrusion. I hope you never have to hang a poster for your missing child."

Spierer also wrote that she is grateful for the community's support during the search. The Greenburgh, N.Y., woman disappeared June 3 after a night out with friends in downtown Bloomington.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Oh God, that reminds me of when my girl friend’s father died in a house fire. Two days later, the neighbor complained that the house needed to be knocked down and the area cleaned up because the smell of the fire still lingered and it was bothering him.

Then he had the nerve to show up at the funeral. :shock:

The insensitivity amazes me. Fucking people.

I can't imagine how this poor woman felt when she saw that note. Sickening.
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    The fact that someone would complain about the posters is disgusting to me. I live in Bloomington, and everyone I know is nothing but supportive of the family and the search.

I can't imagine anything worse than what Lauren's family must be going through right now. My youngest sister will be coming here soon for college, and I'm going to watch that girl like a hawk.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Here's Lauren's mom's response to the letter. Really moving. http://newsonlaurens.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-never-expected-to-see-october-without.html?spref=tw

"October 20, 2011

To whom this may concern,

It’s been a while. Robbie and I just got back to Bloomington. Our trip from the airport was reminiscent of the first time we came here. As on June 3rd, our first stop was to the Bloomington Police Department. Unlike June 3rd, our next stop was to the Post Office. In case you’ve forgotten, we set up a PO Box for Lauren early on, where people could send truly anonymous information regarding her disappearance. Typically, I check the PO Box and then we turn everything over to the police department, they then follow-up on any viable information. I opened the letters I picked up this time. One of them was addressed to me, marked confidential with an explanation mark. I opened and read the letter. The writer of the letter did not sign their name and I have no way of knowing who sent it. Clearly the point of the PO Box, to be anonymous. I quote, “We are sorry about your missing daughter. But don’t you think it’s time to do the right thing by Bloomington and stop littering our town with your posters?” It goes on to say “You have had a lot of supporters but now you are offending a good many of us.”

Let me share a personal story with you, relevant because it does have to do with Lauren’s posters. The first time I went back to New York was extremely difficult. Walking into our home, going in to Lauren’s bedroom, seeing photos of her, feeling her presence everywhere. During that trip, Rebecca was taken to the emergency room. It was terrifying. Robbie, our friend Maria and I drove to the hospital as soon as we heard the news. We went into see her one at a time. She was lying in the emergency room, in tremendous pain, waiting to be diagnosed. Those hours, waiting to find out what was wrong were agonizing. The next few days were agonizing. Thankfully she recovered and is fine. The point of my retelling this is that when we walked into the lobby of the emergency room, in Manhattan, on the security guard’s desk, taped to the front was a poster of Lauren. She was there with her sister and with us.

To the anonymous writer of the letter directed at me, if your goal was to hurt me, you were successful. Making me feel worse than I already do for imposing on Bloomington. Believe me, I wish we had never had to hang one single poster for our missing child. The truth of the matter is, Lauren did disappear in Bloomington, Indiana. I apologize for our intrusion. I hope you never have to hang a poster for your missing child, but believe me; I will be alongside you if you should ever find yourself in my place. Rest assured, Lauren’s posters have been seen in many places outside of Bloomington. We’ve been told Lauren’s Missing posters have been seen across the country on cars and trucks, reminding anyone who happens to notice that a 20 year old girl is missing. A girl who could be you. A girl who could be your child, your friend, your daughter. Thank goodness for that. We have no plans to give up our search for Lauren.

Our family continues to feel thankful for law enforcement agencies, friends old and new, family and complete strangers who support us. For your patience, kind words, gentle hugs, knowing glances, we thank you. For everyone who has ever participated in a search, Laps for Lauren, Reposting Lauren’s posters on August 28th, standing in the rain with us at Shine4Lauren, words cannot convey our gratitude. We are blessed to know you. Thank you all for helping keep Lauren’s story alive.

In closing, I come back to you. It’s now October. I never expected to see October without Lauren. I never expected to feel the change of seasons. When the initial searches began, someone said searches for Lauren would be easier once the leaves fell and the fields of summer crops had been cleared. Once hunting season begins, virtually another source of searchers would come into play. I guess you’ve known all along, we would still be searching for Lauren on this fall day. While statistics are against us after almost five months, our family continues to hold that shred of hope for Lauren’s safe return. How could we not. You have the ability to end this nightmare. With every beat of my heart and every fiber of my body, I wish for Lauren’s return. You alone, have the knowledge which can return Lauren to us. While it took cowardice to take Lauren off the streets of Bloomington, June 3, 2011, I offer a coward’s alternative to providing the truth. An anonymous post office box. The price of a stamp stands between you and me. I am waiting to hear from you. Maybe today will be the day your letter makes its way to the post office box. We will never stop looking for Lauren. We will never give up. We are as determined today as we were on June 3rd.

Charlene Spierer"
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • There have been these types of comments posted regularly on the Indy news reports. They've been in the local newspaper too after about the 2-3 month mark. Charlene was well aware of them before, as all of us have been, and she has read most of them. It is disheartening. However, Charlene is a very strong woman and she will not let this bring her down long. It's a bigger hit because it was a personalized note in the anonymous box for tips. Most of the group I've been with is in an uproar and it just makes them want to poster the town that much more.

For me, spitefulness is not what the Spierer's are about, nor am I. I understand the anger this type of behavior generates but we need to use it to make us stronger - use it to our benefit to keep doing what we know is right. .The community responded back strongly to the Spierer's that they are still backing the family.

If you are in Bloomington or somewhere near - come out to Karst Farm Park today to watch the IU Lacrosse team play with Taylor and IUPUI - Lacrosse for Lauren. We'll be there in hundreds, guaranteed, to show support. First scrimmage is at 10am http://htosports.com/teams/?u=INDIANAUNIVERSITYLACROSSE&s=lacrosse&t=c

We all know there is a cruel world out there - our job is to try to find, and keep, the hope in good.
  • One more thought - for all of the people that comment on articles and argue with the other commenters - it really is a viscious circle. One person does something insensitive and the response is name calling or put downs? Charlene responded tactfully to show who she is and that she is not going to the depth of the negativity she was given. I wish people commenting on things would think about the arguments they are making before they make them.

One I keep thinking about posting just isn't worth the effort to sign up for the right to post. For example, the printing of the posters has been donated - so for the people concerned at how much is being spent on the posters - they don't even have the facts. I have no energy for trying to make sure everyone is educated... just stay focused.

Ok - gripe done.
  • Please keep Lauren's family in your thoughts.
    Thank you
  • Auction items have been donated by various artists, including the Black Keys and Mellencamp, and are available on ebay. All money raised will be used to support the expenses associated with the continued search for Lauren.

An autographed Black Keys poster is available now and expires at 5:11 PM PDT TODAY... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autographed-Black-Keys-Poster-findlauren-/250921045174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6c0f4cb6

Items are being listed in batches. Some other items received and, either posted already or, will be coming: Bon Jovi autographed guitar, Bon Iver autographed CD, a lot of items autographed by OAR, autographed acoustic guitar by John Mellencamp, autographed Umphrey's McGee guitar, autographed Taj Mahal poster, autographed Buddy Guy poster, and more!

Please help support the cause and obtain some great memorabilia at the same time. The seller is Lauren's parents. The name is "officialfindlaurenauction". Thanks!
    DOA
  • Lauren Spierer and Dorothy Mae Heard (74 yr old from Noblesville went missing 10 days after Lauren) were recognized at a Squeaky Wheels concert put on by http://www.411gina.org that highlights missing people in a given area by using musicians that donate their time to play a handful of songs each and read the missing posters inbetween songs. The event I attended was in Castleton, IN on 11/4 but it apparently wasn't advertised very much. Only about 40 people there and mostly from Dorothy's family. Fairly sad when you think about their purpose of putting on the show is to raise awareness... and it was free too.

Here is Daren Short, formerly part of ROK Hollywood, reading Lauren's missing poster.. sorry it's a little shaky. I was emotional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WZ78xx0Xs. Very emotional for him too.
  • Lauren is still missing. 272 days later and no clues... The family is still seeking donations to help support them pay the enormous costs associated with ongoing search efforts. If you have $1 or $5 or $100 - anything would help them. Thank you so much for any support you can provide, prayers, hanging posters, of financial - anything.

http://www.findlauren.com

Until they can bring her home, DreamOfAngels....

I had asked for help from the 10C and others associated with the band but never received responses with information saying yes or no. Saddened.
  • It's been over a year now since Lauren disappeared and still no leads/answers. Here is the broadcast from one of the news channels from Indianapolis covering the 1 yr mark...
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D22KbeNst_2s&h=jAQE0gCo6AQFmjeSfMamWI8SSIoFChMxHh3NHnKjxlJr4kA

If you would like to support the search efforts by donating, please do so at http://www.findlauren.com. Thank you so much.