Tressel Resigns

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    RW81233 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be fantastic if the ultimate late flag got called on OSU and they had to give the 2001-2 National Title Back to the team that rightfully won the game? The best part is people actually believed the "cleaner" program came out on top (I won't say "won" because that would desecrate the meaning of the word). Enjoy your time in NCAA football purgatory Buckeye fans, the U shall exact revenge this fall.

Wowowowowow. This is quite possibly the most laughable thing I have ever read. I hate Ohio State but is a Miami fan really criticizing another school for being dirty? This is gold.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Miami has had one kid serve jail time in like 4 years, and he now plays in the Big 10 for Purdue (Robert Marve). Their graduation rate also skyrocketed. However they just fired their coach for losing too many games. Of course the comment was meant partially in jest, but was basically pointing out the ridiculousness of anyone rooting for a successful major college football team calling anyone else's team out for being "dirty".
    RW81233 wrote:
    Miami has had one kid serve jail time in like 4 years, and he now plays in the Big 10 for Purdue (Robert Marve). Their graduation rate also skyrocketed. However they just fired their coach for losing too many games. Of course the comment was meant partially in jest, but was basically pointing out the ridiculousness of anyone rooting for a successful major college football team calling anyone else's team out for being "dirty".

Fair enough but jail time shouldn't really be the barometer. Every big time school is getting away with some type of shit. The Ohio State issue isn't that big of a deal as it stands right now, the biggest problem is Tressel hiding it.

Kemba Walker also just graduated early and says he has only read one book in his life.
    Well, as a professor, I can honestly say that their are several students who have graduated by reading less than one book in their lives. It's annoying but their is so much information on the internet and elsewhere that you could literally earn a degree by being intelligent with where you reveal how you obtained information for papers, etc. I try to make it difficult for those students to make it through, but I am sure there are plenty that do.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Honestly, reading isnt needed for most classes to pass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Fair enough but jail time shouldn't really be the barometer. Every big time school is getting away with some type of shit. The Ohio State issue isn't that big of a deal as it stands right now, the biggest problem is Tressel hiding it.

Kemba Walker also just graduated early and says he has only read one book in his life.
    the tressell lies hurt more than anything. Makes me sad.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Like I've always said...

Fuck Tressel!
    Fuck OSU!!

OSU vs USC should play next year in the "Corrupt Piece of Shit Bowl" - Sponsored by Goldman Sachs.
    The winner only gets a one year suspension...

:D
    norm wrote:

So glad this asshole didnt go to penn state.

What happens now? Assume he has to sit out or go to Canada?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Suplemental draft
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    Biggest disapointment in buckeye history
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Suplemental draft

Ahh, yeah, forgot about that. Dude is going to lose so much money over this. At least he has some fresh tattoos and got to drive an Escalade around Columbus for a couple years.
    Not sure its going to cost him all that much unless he had a monster second half of the season. Nobody in their right mind would draft him in the first three rounds to be a qb. Dude cant throw a twenty yard pass with any consistency. I'd expect him to go in a late supplement round as a wr conversion. I could also see him transfer and switch back to basketball
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Not sure its going to cost him all that much unless he had a monster second half of the season. Nobody in their right mind would draft him in the first three rounds to be a qb. Dude cant throw a twenty yard pass with any consistency. I'd expect him to go in a late supplement round as a wr conversion. I could also see him transfer and switch back to basketball

Yeah, probably true. Just felt like he would go fairly high. You're probably right though.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,969
    norm wrote:
    1 jumped. 4 to go. When they said they agreed to stay in school , man the shit stank!!! Cuz we All KNEW IT WAS BULLSHIT.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Can a team win in college sorts with out cheating? If I was a blue chipper I'd be pissed watching my coach and school making millions of $ while I have to study to stay on the team. The NCAA needs to start paying players or this will continue.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
    Can a team win in college sorts with out cheating? If I was a blue chipper I'd be pissed watching my coach and school making millions of $ while I have to study to stay on the team. The NCAA needs to start paying players or this will continue.

they get paid....

it's called a free tuition, room and board.

ok, so lets say we want to pay them cash...you realize that to do so, they are going to need to find new revenue streams which is going to push up the costs for the fans via higher ticket prices, higher concession prices, higher cable bills, higher nike/reebok/under armour costs.

than how do you divy it all up. a signing bonus based on your "star" rating from teh recruiting services? per TD/catch/reception/carry. or does every player get X amount. and what about the tennis team. do they get paid too? title 9?

personally, give me that free education. that's much more valuable than a few bucks will ever be.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Can a team win in college sorts with out cheating? If I was a blue chipper I'd be pissed watching my coach and school making millions of $ while I have to study to stay on the team. The NCAA needs to start paying players or this will continue.

they get paid....

ok, so lets say we want to pay them cash...you realize that to do so, they are going to need to find new revenue streams which is going to push up the costs for the fans via higher ticket prices, higher concession prices, higher cable bills, higher nike/reebok/under armour costs.

than how do you divy it all up. a signing bonus based on your "star" rating from teh recruiting services? per TD/catch/reception/carry. or does every player get X amount. and what about the tennis team. do they get paid too? title 9?

personally, give me that free education. that's much more valuable than a few bucks will ever be.

The thing is, these kids aren't allowed to work like regular college kids. All players should get some sort of stipend, nothing big, but enough to help them out. Big time programs can easily absorb this without raising prices, they make so much money. I am sure it gets tricky when you get down to the smaller programs though.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    The 81 wrote:

they get paid....

THANK YOU! If hood rats like Pryor are too dumb to realize the good thing they have in a free college education, which I'm guessing could do someone from Pryor's background wonders, then screw him. He can have fun pumping gas or working at McDonalds. Hope that tat's and rides were worth it. As a Badger fan I just sit and laugh as everyone stereotype I had about OSU is comming true.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:

THANK YOU! If hood rats like Pryor are too dumb to realize the good thing they have in a free college education, which I'm guessing could do someone from Pryor's background wonders, then screw him. He can have fun pumping gas or working at McDonalds. Hope that tat's and rides were worth it. As a Badger fan I just sit and laugh as everyone stereotype I had about OSU is comming true.

i'm sure i've asked before, but what's with all the hate agaist Ohio State.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

they get paid....

The thing is, these kids aren't allowed to work like regular college kids. All players should get some sort of stipend, nothing big, but enough to help them out. Big time programs can easily absorb this without raising prices, they make so much money. I am sure it gets tricky when you get down to the smaller programs though.

I don't disagree with the stipend idea, but would that really prevent this type of thing (players taking money)? If you want to make up for the fact that they can't work in the summer or off season, I'm ok with that. But what do most college kids make part time $100 a week during school? Maybe a few hundred during summer? Would this really stop NFL wanna-be players from taking thousands in cash or a new car?

And with Title IX, all players in all sports would need to get a stipend... that's a lot of money for a school to give out when most of them are already raising tuitions to make up for tight budgets.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I don't disagree with the stipend idea, but would that really prevent this type of thing (players taking money)? If you want to make up for the fact that they can't work in the summer or off season, I'm ok with that. But what do most college kids make part time $100 a week during school? Maybe a few hundred during summer? Would this really stop NFL wanna-be players from taking thousands in cash or a new car?

And with Title IX, all players in all sports would need to get a stipend... that's a lot of money for a school to give out when most of them are already raising tuitions to make up for tight budgets.

I don't think it would completely eliminate it, but I think it would help. Some of these kids are poor as hell so maybe helping them out a little bit would make them think twice.

Ihear you and yeah, as I mentioned I am sure it would be much more difficult for smaller schools.
    i'd rather they disband college sports before spending more money on them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

they get paid....

never happen. as someone mentioned Title IX would never allow this to happen. You couldn't pay only certain sports. Also once you start paying guys the next argument from guys like Terrelle Pryor would be 'why don't i get more money than the backup quarterback or a lineman, etc.'

there is only one scenario in the world where i can see college football players ever getting paid and that is the BCS schools breaking off from the rest of the NCAA, making football players paid employees of the school (to get around Title IX rules) and basically treating it as a pro sports team. not sure if that is even legally possible but the BCS schools leaving the NCAA is coming withing the next 5-10 years where they will create their own college Division.

and if the reports are true that Terrelle got up to $40,000 for memorabilia i hope ole Terrelle reported that income and doesn't lie to the feds about it if he didn't. this could get ugly real quick for Terrelle and others.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    pureoc wrote:
    As a Badgers fan, you must realize that Wisconsin players undoubtedly engage in the same behavior as OSU players, right? These stereotypes are prevalent in every major D1 football program as there will always be boosters, supporters, and greedy manipulators that are willing to temp 18-24 year olds with bribes and gifts. And with 53 man rosters, you can't expect a program to stay clean. But, it is up to the head coach to enforce rules and integrity and limit these occurrences , something that Tressel failed to do properly.

At least Tressel didn't have players or relations sticking parrots into microwaves. ;)
    toilet paper is now rumored to have made upwards of 40K in year signing shit.....

:x

biggest dissapointment in Ohio State history.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The 81 wrote:
    biggest dissapointment in Ohio State history.
    Art Schlichter had that title secured many moons ago. Prior will have to run down some nuns while leaving campus in his 350Z just to get on the same level as Art.
    Wow I can't believe that the term "hood rat" was actually used in this forum. WTF? The free education argument is funny especially the way educations are valued post-graduation. By this I mean getting a "free" (although it's really in return for services) at different schools is worth different amounts. For instance if you go to private schools like Duke, Notre Dame, or Syracuse aren't you actually getting more than if you go to say the University of Maryland as a Maryland resident, or other state runs schools for that matter? I mean 4 years of tuition at those private schools, the enhanced opportunities offered to you in the "real world" because you're going to the same school as rich peoples' children, plus power that comes with holding a piece of paper stating you graduated from there is worth a shit-ton more than graduating from a state state school.

Intercollegiate sports, run by a corrupt organization, are a huge detriment to the upper-educational system in the United States. They are essentially a laboratory for what is wrong with our priorities in this country. I mean we'll spend $1M to shine grass every week at OSU, and then bitch when the borderline slaves providing that money want a little something back. Or, at my school, Towson, my President ups the total number of students to make the University the largest in the state, spends millions on a new basketball arena, then forces professors to take furloughs and never upgrades the educational space of the school.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    RW81233 wrote:
    Wow I can't believe that the term "hood rat" was actually used in this forum. WTF? The free education argument is funny especially the way educations are valued post-graduation. By this I mean getting a "free" (although it's really in return for services) at different schools is worth different amounts. For instance if you go to private schools like Duke, Notre Dame, or Syracuse aren't you actually getting more than if you go to say the University of Maryland as a Maryland resident, or other state runs schools for that matter? I mean 4 years of tuition at those private schools, the enhanced opportunities offered to you in the "real world" because you're going to the same school as rich peoples' children, plus power that comes with holding a piece of paper stating you graduated from there is worth a shit-ton more than graduating from a state state school.

Intercollegiate sports, run by a corrupt organization, are a huge detriment to the upper-educational system in the United States. They are essentially a laboratory for what is wrong with our priorities in this country. I mean we'll spend $1M to shine grass every week at OSU, and then bitch when the borderline slaves providing that money want a little something back. Or, at my school, Towson, my President ups the total number of students to make the University the largest in the state, spends millions on a new basketball arena, then forces professors to take furloughs and never upgrades the educational space of the school.

you do realize that higher level inter-collegiate athletics are only played by a small portion of the Universities in this country? Only something like 120 schools play football at the highest level and only about half of those are considered BCS schools. It's easy to take stories like Ohio State and try and make it seem that every school and every athlete acts that way and it's just not true. There are many schools and many student-athletes who use it in the correct way. I know at Penn State that revenues from football home games bascially fund ALL the other sports within the University. without football at a school like Penn State you'd be eliminating a heck of a lot of so-called minor sports.
    RW81233 wrote:

I'm not sure why you find the value of an education funny. I will agree that not every education is created equal, but a majority of the big time football schools have well respected programs.

Hood Rat is bad, yet borderline slave is ok. wow. These players have a choice. They could pay for their education out of pocket like i did, or they can take the value of that education and play football. Not only do they get the education that opens doors, but they get a chance to get their name out there, which will also open doors post graduation, unlike joe blow that just goes to class. There is value in that as well. But to say these players are "slaves" is a bit much.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg