Tressel Resigns

pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Obviously happy as a Badger fan. Gotta give him credit for finally doing the right thing, but can also say he is a coward for not serving his suspension like his players.
Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    pureoc wrote:
    Obviously happy as a Badger fan. Gotta give him credit for finally doing the right thing, but can also say he is a coward for not serving his suspension like his players.

i don't think he had much of a choice. he brought this upon himself.

f him and his sweater vest!
    www.myspace.com
  • In my useless opinion the right thing would of been to kicking them all off the team last year. They should of never been in that bowl game.

As it's known I'm not a Buckeye fan, I really think the NCAA needs to come down way way harder on the actual players. No more minor suspensions, just kick them out of the league for good. Maybe some of these guys will start to think twice.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=149127&hilit=resign&start=15

called it back in March.

i have a feeling the balance of power is going to start swinging back up north. :x

why couldn't have just punched somebody instead
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    i have a feeling the balance of power is going to start swinging back up north. :x

:mrgreen:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    2 months too late.

The most embarrassing part of the whole ordeal was when the President of the University made a comment that he would not fire Tressel and how he was luck Tressel didn't fire him. So embarrassing.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    Good, that piece of shit deserves to be in a grave.

WE ARE....PENN STATE
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    2 months too late.

The most embarrassing part of the whole ordeal was when the President of the University made a comment that he would not fire Tressel and how he was luck Tressel didn't fire him. So embarrassing.

Well my opinion is the President was dragging his feet and waiting for the sanctions to kick in, then fire him. I'd assume it would be cheaper via a clause in the contract....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

SVRDhand13 wrote:
    2 months too late.

Well my opinion is the President was dragging his feet and waiting for the sanctions to kick in, then fire him. I'd assume it would be cheaper via a clause in the contract....

i don't think they wanted to fire him, but shit just kept bubbling up.

it's tradition that all the great buckeye coaches go out in a big fire ball
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

but nobody did it better than woody! :D
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

but nobody did it better than woody! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    good thing the big 10 got nebraska. they just went from two relevant teams down to one.

Bo Pelini is gonna have a field day in that crap conference
  • The Fixer wrote:
    good thing the big 10 got nebraska. they just went from two relevant teams down to one.

That's what Penn State thought when they showed up.... When is that going to start?

The Fixer wrote:

That's what Penn State thought when they showed up.... When is that going to start?

the conf was actually decent when PSU got there. OSU, Mich were both good. Now, not so much.

PSU fans think they are still relevant, even though they finish 3rd or 4th every year in an avg conf. they're delusional.
    so, how long before urban meyer is hired?
    Coincidentally, check out number 2. That's one way to start a conference rivalry.

Also, Bruce Feldman's blog is great. Highly recommended if you're a college football fan

So after months of controversy, Jim Tressel is out as head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes. There's no doubt that the Buckeyes football program is going to have a tough climb back to the mountaintop.

Assistant Luke Fickell will take over as interim head coach for the 2011 season. This makes sense, both for continuity's sake and because, at this point in the offseason, it'd be almost impossible to get a top-level hire to abandon his program (especially given the uncertainty facing the Ohio State program with regard to the NCAA investigation).

But make no mistake about it: This is the kind of coaching job that can get the attention of almost every guy in the business. Who are the most intriguing candidates that the OSU brass figures to examine over the course of the next six months? Here are seven guys to keep an eye on:

1. Urban Meyer

This would be the grand slam hire for Ohio State, given Meyer's pedigree, track record and age. Meyer grew up in Ohio, graduated from the University of Cincinnati and was a graduate assistant for the Buckeyes in 1986-87. He stepped down at Florida after the 2010 season and is now spending more time with his family and doing TV for ESPN.

In the book Meyer wrote in 2008, he said that Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan were the only coaching jobs that his wife had no power to veto. "If those ever call, then your majority now goes to a 49 percent veto," he recalled telling his wife in a conversation they had over a decade ago. Since then Meyer has won two national titles and energized three programs: Bowling Green, Utah and Florida.

I've suspected that at some point down the road, Meyer, 46, would be compelled to come back to coaching and OSU would seem like an ideal spot. Of course, when I first mentioned it in December, I figured it'd be three or four years from now. Who knew then that the Tressel situation would implode the way it did?

2. Bo Pelini

The fiery former Buckeyes safety grew up in the football hotbed of Youngstown. He got his coaching start as a graduate assistant under Hayden Fry at Iowa and then spent a decade in the NFL.

Pelini has one of the sharpest defensive minds in college football. Other defensive coaches are very impressed by the system he runs. In three seasons since taking over the Nebraska program, Pelini has restored much of the power to the Huskers brand, leading them to a 30-12 mark that includes back-to-back 10-win seasons.

He has a very good job, and the Huskers are the favorites to win the Big Ten title in their debut season. He also has a boss, in Tom Osborne, who casts a pretty large shadow in Lincoln. However, I doubt Pelini could pass up the chance to take over his alma mater if offered.

3. Gary Patterson

The 51-year-old Patterson has elevated TCU to a legit big-time program by winning an eye-catching 66 games in the past six years. No head man working in the college game is any more driven than the Kansas native. He is very hands-on, running practice and developing his players into a tough, physical, disciplined team. His style would play well in Columbus. Although Patterson is in a better place now, with the Horned Frogs set to move into the Big East after the 2011 season. Still, the heft of TCU -- which has dealt with attendance issues for years -- simply doesn't match up with Ohio State.

4. Jon Gruden

I know this guy is a natural on TV talking football, but at some point you'd think he'd be tempted to try out all the scheme studying he's been doing at the college level. Gruden spent hundreds of hours going to school on Chip Kelly's system and several others. I suspect it would be quite a lab for him.

My hunch is that Gruden, whose charisma is off the charts, would be the ultimate closer as a recruiter. In terms of fit, there aren't many college jobs that have the luster Ohio State has. The 47-year-old Gruden -- a Sandusky, Ohio native -- was a college QB at Dayton and was a college assistant in the late '80s. But would he want to be digging out from under NCAA sanctions? I'm skeptical of that part of it.

5. Mark Dantonio

Seeing as how Dantonio is a Tressel protégé, it's very possible that this might be too awkward a move for either party. But you can't dismiss Dantonio's credentials. He was the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator when OSU won the BCS title. He did a nice job in his first shot as a head coach at Cincinnati and has Michigan State on the upswing. In 2010, he led the Spartans to an 11-2 season and a share of the Big Ten title. It's worth keeping in mind, however, that the 55-year-old Dantonio did have to deal with significant health issues last season.

6. Mark Stoops

If there's a Stoops who would fit at this point for Ohio State, I suspect it'd be Mark, not Bob, whom I doubt would ever leave OU for another college job, knowing the set-up he has in Norman (elite program, history, great boss). Mark, the FSU defensive coordinator, is a product of Youngstown and played defensive back at Iowa in the late 1980s. He was a high school coach in Ohio and has gone on to coach in every time zone in the country. Stoops actually coached against and lost to the Buckeyes in the BCS title game while he was the defensive backs coach at Miami.

Since then, he's done a good job as defensive coordinator at Arizona and now at FSU. The 43-year-old could've gotten the Youngstown State head coaching job after the 2009 season but opted to remain at the FBS level. My feeling is that if he can't get this job, he'll have a shot at running his own program before too long.

7. Gary Pinkel

Like many guys on this list, Pinkel is an Ohio guy. He was born in Akron, played at Kent State (where he roomed with Steelers legend Jack Lambert), and spent a decade winning a lot of football games at Toledo. Since leaving the MAC, he has done a very nice job as head coach of the Missouri Tigers and has won 40 games in the past four seasons. Is there much more realistically he can do for Tigers football? Then again, does OSU, which is going to be dealing with the fallout of the end of the Tressel era and NCAA sanctions for a while, want to hand the keys to a coach who just turned 59?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    if they get hit with tough sanctions, which they should but will the NCAA have the balls to do it, what good coach is going to take that job before the sanctions are up though? got to think scholarship penalties are coming. always thought Tressel was a shaky dude anyway. not surprised about anything like this from him. good riddance.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    pjhawks wrote:
    always thought Tressel was a shaky dude anyway. not surprised about anything like this from him. good riddance.

i just could never get past the sweater vests and those frames. dude looked like one of those guys on "to catch a criminal" back in the day...
    www.myspace.com
    and Pryor shows up in a 350Z for a team meeting.

I'm not defending Tress for the lies, but Pryor has been a cancer on the program.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    and for the record, i don't want Meyer.

he irks me....mayabe because he coached the gators in 07 and before that, Bowling Green (who is my School's biggest rival)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    81 wrote:

I'm not defending Tress for the lies, but Pryor has been a cancer on the program.

Never thought I would say it, but thank god he turned down Penn State.

You read the SI article yet? It's pretty damn good and in-depth.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i liked the piece on rigging the summer camp goodie bag winners. that was a nice touch.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i liked the piece on rigging the summer camp goodie bag winners. that was a nice touch.

haha, yeah. Classy. This quote was pretty rough

"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

WE ARE....PENN STATE
    You shouldn't talk about Joe Pa like that!
    Jason P wrote:

WE ARE....PENN STATE
    You shouldn't talk about Joe Pa like that!

this is so wrong on both parties part.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Fixer wrote:
    Also, Bruce Feldman's blog is great. Highly recommended if you're a college football fan

4. Jon Gruden

I know this guy is a natural on TV talking football, but at some point you'd think he'd be tempted to try out all the scheme studying he's been doing at the college level. Gruden spent hundreds of hours going to school on Chip Kelly's system and several others. I suspect it would be quite a lab for him.

Does Bruce Feldman eat an entire plate of pot brownies before watching MNF???? That's the only way to explain that comment. :D
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    pjhawks wrote:
    if they get hit with tough sanctions, which they should but will the NCAA have the balls to do it, what good coach is going to take that job before the sanctions are up though? got to think scholarship penalties are coming. always thought Tressel was a shaky dude anyway. not surprised about anything like this from him. good riddance.
    I agree with you. I think they are gonna get hit with some pretty bad sanctions and will keep Fickel (sp?) as head coach until they are penalty free. When they are in the free and clear, they will drop this guy and go for the best hire that they can make.
    pjhawks wrote:
    I agree with you. I think they are gonna get hit with some pretty bad sanctions and will keep Fickel (sp?) as head coach until they are penalty free. When they are in the free and clear, they will drop this guy and go for the best hire that they can make.

i can see Luke staying around during the sanctions, and i can also see him keeping the job post sanctions IF he does a solid job during that time frame. it's pretty rare for a Buckeye coach to actually be fired for on field performance. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jason P wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

4. Jon Gruden

Does Bruce Feldman eat an entire plate of pot brownies before watching MNF???? That's the only way to explain that comment. :D

very good point

MNF should be Tirico and Jaws. Michaels and Collinsworth are fantastic as a 2 man crew on SNF. The less I have to hear gruden, the better the broadcast will be
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Wouldn't it be fantastic if the ultimate late flag got called on OSU and they had to give the 2001-2 National Title Back to the team that rightfully won the game? The best part is people actually believed the "cleaner" program came out on top (I won't say "won" because that would desecrate the meaning of the word). Enjoy your time in NCAA football purgatory Buckeye fans, the U shall exact revenge this fall.