Is it normal for boys to kill animals?

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    Jeffery Dahmar killed animals. repeatedly.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I don't think so.... :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    Of course not

Although first thing that popped in my head was a scene from Rob Zombie's Halloween where that kid killed a cat :evil: :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Ask Ted Bundy.

Oh wait, he's dead.

Bundy was known for killing animals as a child before becoming one of the most notorious serial killers in America's history.

So, I'd say it's definitely not a good sign. :o
    Ted Bundy was also known to drive a Volkswagon, so watch out for those Beetles.
    #FHP
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I shot a squirell with my BB gun when I was a kid. He fell from the tree and ran in continous circles until it finally stopped and eventually died. I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.

that is my exact experience with this.

And maybe that is the difference - we felt remorse, while others don't.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I shot a squirell with my BB gun when I was a kid. He fell from the tree and ran in continous circles until it finally stopped and eventually died. I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.

that is my exact experience with this.

And maybe that is the difference - we felt remorse, while others don't.

Exactly, On 3 different occasions I threw a rock at 2 birds and a squirrel when I was teenager. I was able to hit all three, I had an uncanny aim at that age I gather. I only continued after the first only because I didn't think I could hit such fast moving targets. Well I did and after I hit that squirrel and I saw him dead it hit me (3 rocks, 3 dead animals all because of me) I felt horrible. I buried that squirrel and I made a point to NEVER through anything at another animal again.

Out here next to the Florida Everglades we have all sorts of wild animals and I teach the kids to respect them all and to have a heart and care for these animals. Even the ones we don't like ( we have horses, gators, turtles, snakes, falcons, flamingos, blue herons, wild hogs, deer, wild cats etc) cause you never know we could be reincarnated as one of these precious animals.

.....And no it's not normal to torture these animals but not necessarily for boys that young to kill them. I would however discretely tell their parents about what has happened and what the boys spoke about doing.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I've always had an unhealthy obsession with serial killers and cruelty to animals is always a common theme and early indicator among these people. I'm not saying that these boys are future serial killers, but his is definitely an unhealthy habit. For the good of the poor and defenseless animals in your neighborhood (and possibly the good of those boys) I would either say something to their parents or if you want to do it anonymously in order to maintain good relations with your neighbors, report it to the authorities. I vote for the second one, because it might just scare those boys straight.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    not normal.

my mom watched a young kid hang a cat in the neighborhood in front of other kids.
    He's doing life for murders.
    Animals lead to humans.

Get away from them.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    What do we consider an "animal"? Rats, mice, deer, insects, squirrels? Are people that hunt animals killers?

I just smashed a spider am i killer? :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I've always had an unhealthy obsession with serial killers and cruelty to animals is always a common theme and early indicator among these people. I'm not saying that these boys are future serial killers, but his is definitely an unhealthy habit. For the good of the poor and defenseless animals in your neighborhood (and possibly the good of those boys) I would either say something to their parents or if you want to do it anonymously in order to maintain good relations with your neighbors, report it to the authorities. I vote for the second one, because it might just scare those boys straight.

This is what I was thinking......
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    What do we consider an "animal"? Rats, mice, deer, insects, squirrels? Are people that hunt animals killers?

Did you smash a spider because you enjoyed killing it and now you're going to go find other spiders to smash or did you smash it because it's fucking creepy and you didn't want it in your house? There's a difference between putting a mouse trap in your house because you have a rodent problem and burning a mouse's genitals off with a soldering iron.

However bad this is on the surface it's much much deeper. Boys don't kill because they're boys, boys kill things because their daddy comes home drunk and beats mommy while they hide in their bedroom pretending everything is normal.

I would talk to the parents immediately and if they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem I would take the next step to social services.

And in case you were thrown by the beginning of my message, this is not sarcasm. Please do something.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Big Drop wrote:

Did you smash a spider because you enjoyed killing it and now you're going to go find other spiders to smash or did you smash it because it's fucking creepy and you didn't want it in your house? There's a difference between putting a mouse trap in your house because you have a rodent problem and burning a mouse's genitals off with a soldering iron.

However bad this is on the surface it's much much deeper. Boys don't kill because they're boys, boys kill things because their daddy comes home drunk and beats mommy while they hide in their bedroom pretending everything is normal.

I would talk to the parents immediately and if they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem I would take the next step to social services.

And in case you were thrown by the beginning of my message, this is not sarcasm. Please do something.

+1 That what I was getting at too
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    what was described by the OP is pretty gruesome. Having grown up in the country... a VERY rural area in Illinois... I have to say it is pretty common. It can definitely be "cured" and it's probably just a lack of good parenting.

I grew up on a farm and shot a pig in the head with a .22 when I was 8 years old. My dad told me to do it.

Then we butchered it and froze the meat. That was the only time I've ever killed something and it makes me think that vegetarianism is the way to go. I still eat meat but only a few times per week and mostly fish and poultry... rarely beef or other red meat.

I don't think this behavior necessarily leads to criminal or violent behavior in adulthood, but I think it would definitely be wise to step in for the benefit of these kids. We're all the same thing at a fundamental level and what we do to others manifests itself in return to us, usually at a later time. You'd be doing a great favor to these kids if you could get their parents to step in and let them in on this basic law of the universe.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Like a few others mentioned, it's common in rural areas for boys to shoot birds, rabbits and squirrels with BB guns .... at least in the days before iPhones, Xbox 360, and 500 TV channels.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    If it were me, I would talk to the parents. If that didn't work, then a call to the SPCA or talking to someone at the school may help.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Not normal to laugh about it thats for sure. A boy in Winnipeg was just fine some big bucks for smashing a goose nest while people watched. Since it was witnessed he could be charged. I would tell the parents. Sure if you live in the country and have a BB or pellet gun its normal to use them. But at the same time most of the rural kids out where we live learn to use those guns with thier parents and are mostly shooting "pests" on thier farms. I dont like it but the law says they can get rid of them on thier own property. And most of these young people also go hunting for deer and moose with thier families and know the work and care taken to harvest that meat. Killing for fun is messed up!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Time for a new car pool.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I purposely ran over a possum before. I didn't swerve into it or anything I simply saw it and said to myself "those things are fucking ugly". And purposely didn't swerve out of the way. I laughed afterwords.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I purposely ran over a possum before. I didn't swerve into it or anything I simply saw it and said to myself "those things are fucking ugly". And purposely didn't swerve out of the way. I laughed afterwords.

so, by your logic, it is okay to murder an animal for no reason as long as it's ugly, right? If it is cute, do you just injure it a bit?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

so, by your logic, it is okay to murder an animal for no reason as long as it's ugly, right? If it is cute, do you just injure it a bit?

Careful now, he'll be a serial killer soon.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DewieCox wrote:

Careful now, he'll be a serial killer soon.

...maybe he's saying that if we think he's ugly, we can run him over...and then laugh? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edited June 2011

Yes. That's it.

and its not like I was driving around hunting for animals to kill. The thing was directly in my line of driving. Im sorry but if I see some squirell, racoon, or possum in the middle of the road im not risking swerving and damaging my car just to spare the life of some stupid animal. My car is alot more important to me. If that were a cat or dog thats a different story. And I laughed not because I just brutally killed an animal, I laughed because i was 18 and it was the first time I ran over an animal. When your a young car guy who just got his license, you wonder about random driving things like " I wonder if i'll ever run over an animal?". When I did, I laughed because it answered my question.
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    pandora wrote:
    Normal?

I don't think so but one thing for sure they have not been taught compassion in the home.

There could be a leader of sorts there showing off too.... driving the others.

They obviously need a pet to love, like a rabbit to teach them to respect life,
    protect it and love it.
    I agree with this. There is definitely an opportunity here for the kids to be taught about empathy. Depending on their ages and experiences at home, they might not be fulling grasping the concept...if at all.

That being said if I catch one of them killing an animal I will skin them alive. 8-)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

Yes. That's it.

and its not like I was driving around hunting for animals to kill. The thing was directly in my line of driving. Im sorry but if I see some squirell, racoon, or possum in the middle of the road im not risking swerving and damaging my car just to spare the life of some stupid animal. My car is alot more important to me. If that were a cat or dog thats a different story. And I laughed not because I just brutally killed an animal, I laughed because i was 18 and it was the first time I ran over an animal. When your a young car guy who just got his license, you wonder about random driving things like " I wonder if i'll ever run over an animal?". When I did, I laughed because it answered my question.

MY g/f went on a date with a guy before she met me. She said they were driving home from dinner and he hit and severely injured an armadillo. They guy got out of his car and was all pissed, checking for damage to his car while the armadillo squirmed off, bleeding to death on the shoulder. It was the last date they ever went on (thankfully for me).

From your original story, it sounds like you had enough time to react and didnt. But who cares, as you said, its just a 'stupid animal' right? Man I just wish there were still dinosaurs roaming the earth to eat the 'stupid humans'.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I break for squirrels, chipmunks, possums, etc.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

From your original story, it sounds like you had enough time to react and didnt. But who cares, as you said, its just a 'stupid animal' right? Man I just wish there were still dinosaurs roaming the earth to eat the 'stupid humans'.
    Humans are just another stupid animal.
    #FHP

• and its not like I was driving around hunting for animals to kill. The thing was directly in my line of driving. Im sorry but if I see some squirell, racoon, or possum in the middle of the road im not risking swerving and damaging my car just to spare the life of some stupid animal. My car is alot more important to me. If that were a cat or dog thats a different story. And I laughed not because I just brutally killed an animal, I laughed because i was 18 and it was the first time I ran over an animal. When your a young car guy who just got his license, you wonder about random driving things like " I wonder if i'll ever run over an animal?". When I did, I laughed because it answered my question.

In your defense, you're actually NOT supposed to swerve to avoid an animal in the road. I forget the percentage but too many accidents happen because of it.

Did you at least brake? A little?

I haven't talked to the carpool boys yet.. timing hasn't been right. I AM going to talk with them, though, and if their attitude is shitty, I'm going to tell their parents.

When I talked with my son, I got the old "I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GEEZ MOM YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :/
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You can talk to the parents, but its too late. Those kids are going to grow up to be assholes.
  • This morning, when I picked up the boys, they were busy throwing rocks at a squirrel in a tree! Perfect opportunity to say what I wanted to say!

I yelled out the car window "hey, don't do that! Don't be mean to animals!" I heard the mom tell them goodbye from the garage so she probably heard me.

When they were in the car I said something like "I really like squirrels and ALL animals -- you could really hurt them. What if someone hurt one of your dogs?"

The younger kid said "that's not the same" and when I asked why, he didn't answer. I said "well, it IS different because it's an outside animal but that animal still has brothers and sisters and moms and dads and maybe a baby waiting for it somewhere!" :)

The big brother said to his little brother something like "hey-I didn't kill a baby bunny"-little bro said "you said you did". I then said "please don't hurt animals" and changed the subject to something really positive.. last friday of the school year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more carpool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    This morning, when I picked up the boys, they were busy throwing rocks at a squirrel in a tree! Perfect opportunity to say what I wanted to say!

I yelled out the car window "hey, don't do that! Don't be mean to animals!" I heard the mom tell them goodbye from the garage so she probably heard me.

When they were in the car I said something like "I really like squirrels and ALL animals -- you could really hurt them. What if someone hurt one of your dogs?"

The younger kid said "that's not the same" and when I asked why, he didn't answer. I said "well, it IS different because it's an outside animal but that animal still has brothers and sisters and moms and dads and maybe a baby waiting for it somewhere!" :)

The big brother said to his little brother something like "hey-I didn't kill a baby bunny"-little bro said "you said you did". I then said "please don't hurt animals" and changed the subject to something really positive.. last friday of the school year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more carpool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!! You got to tell them! I am very glad! And you know that they heard you. Awesome...I am pleased the opportunity presented itself! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!