Is it normal for boys to kill animals?

covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
A few young men in my neighborhood are very unkind to animals. While car pooling to school this morning, a rabbit ran across the road and I had a 5th grader and his 5 year old brother screaming KILL IT! KILL IT!--then the little guy says to his brother "remember when you killed that baby rabbit?" They LAUGHED about it!

Another kid tortures frogs and I've scolded the kindergartener for trying to smack a squirrel with a tree branch. -I told him it was going to jump out of the tree and bite him if he didn't stop and that it wasn't nice to be mean to animals.

I spent waaay too much time last week trying to make sure a baby rabbit I found in my garage was safe from the young lab dog next door... to hear that this kid KILLED one is very upsetting!!

My dad used to drown kittens when he was younger but he has said that that's just 'what you did' to stray kittens in rural areas back in the 50's. I can almost accept that.

Should I say something to the parents? To the kids? Is this just a phase or are there psycho serial killers growing up all around me?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    ever watch Dexter?

you got some future serial killers on your hands. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
    ya, I've seen the show. husband loves it!

I have a feeling the kids would get their asses whipped if I said something to their parents.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Yeah...thats F'd up I would say something to the parents...The Juggler is right...Dexter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer

"Social Process Theory" has also been suggested as an explanation for serial murder. Social process theory states that offenders may turn to crime due to peer pressure, family, and friends. Criminal behavior is a process of interaction with social institutions, in which everyone has the potential for criminal behavior.[93] A lack of family structure and identity could also be a cause leading to serial murder traits. A child used as a scapegoat will be deprived of their capacity to feel guilt. Displaced anger could result in animal torture, as identified in the Macdonald triad, and a further lack of basic identity.[94]
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Normal?

I don't think so but one thing for sure they have not been taught compassion in the home.

There could be a leader of sorts there showing off too.... driving the others.

They obviously need a pet to love, like a rabbit to teach them to respect life,
    protect it and love it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,584
    actually, the more i think about it, i would like to hire these young bucks to "take care" of an overgrown feral cat population in the juggler's neighborhood. my stupid neighbors keep feeding them and they seem to quadruple over night. nobody stops to think that these animals could be carrying some pretty harmful diseases.

actually, what's your dad doing this weekend? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Perfectly normal for boys.
    I would be more concerned with girls killing animals.

really?? normal??
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I would have to say no on this, especially if it's persistent. :?
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I shot a squirell with my BB gun when I was a kid. He fell from the tree and ran in continous circles until it finally stopped and eventually died. I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I shot a squirell with my BB gun when I was a kid. He fell from the tree and ran in continous circles until it finally stopped and eventually died. I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.
    Not to say it's normal but I'd bet a lot of us shot our BB guns at small animals and tweetie birds.
    #FHP
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited May 2011
    NO...especially since they are enjoying it...not a good sign at all... :?

It's not like game hunting, with a clean, quick shot (I do have friends who are hunters)...it sounds more like they enjoy hurting the animal until it dies...that is never a good sign... :shock:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.
    :clap: :thumbup: :D
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Not normal.
    what should I do? I can't sit back (like husband thinks) and say nothing. Anonymous letter in the mailbox? Sit the kids down and tell them I'm going to kill their dogs if they hurt another baby rabbit?

The 2 brothers have 2 little bischon frisee's -however you spell it- for pets. I don't think the mom would put up with any unkindness towards the dogs.

Now that I'm thinking about all of this, I remembered another neighborhood kid that I saw THROWING a puppy down on the sidewalk. When I told his mom, he said it 'jumped' from his arms.....

NOT!
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    what should I do? I can't sit back (like husband thinks) and say nothing. Anonymous letter in the mailbox? Sit the kids down and tell them I'm going to kill their dogs if they hurt another baby rabbit?

The 2 brothers have 2 little bischon frisee's -however you spell it- for pets. I don't think the mom would put up with any unkindness towards the dogs.

Now that I'm thinking about all of this, I remembered another neighborhood kid that I saw THROWING a puppy down on the sidewalk. When I told his mom, he said it 'jumped' from his arms.....

NOT!

I would let the parents know. You could be helping those kids, especially if one is influencing the other.
    Wilds wrote:

NOT!

I would let the parents know. You could be helping those kids, especially if one is influencing the other.

:thumbup: Yes! I failed to add this in my post. Thank you! And if the parents don't respond maybe a call to ASPCA would help too.
    Not to say it's normal but I'd bet a lot of us shot our BB guns at small animals and tweetie birds.

I think boys DO do some questionable things. Probably more than people are going to admit here!

I guess I don't want to make a big deal out of it if it's unnecessary. Don't want to start anything with the parents or have the kids hate me.
    Wilds wrote:

NOT!

:thumbup: Yes! I failed to add this in my post. Thank you! And if the parents don't respond maybe a call to ASPCA would help too.

Ooo-that's good. Anonymous phone call to PETA.
    Wilds wrote:

Ooo-that's good. Anonymous phone call to PETA.

Well, it does depend on how bad you think they are being. It's up to you. If you notice anything else out of sorts, I would act immediately.

And yes, the call would be anonymous. :D
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Honestly I find this really sad, as well as abnormal. Yeah I get it they're young, they're boys, but they are doing harm here, whether the life form is human or otherwise... live and let live. :(
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Ask Ted Bundy.

Oh wait, he's dead.

Bundy was known for killing animals as a child before becoming one of the most notorious serial killers in America's history.

So, I'd say it's definitely not a good sign. :o
  • I shot a squirell with my BB gun when I was a kid. He fell from the tree and ran in continous circles until it finally stopped and eventually died. I felt terrible. Never shot at another animal again in my life.

I think boys DO do some questionable things. Probably more than people are going to admit here!

I guess I don't want to make a big deal out of it if it's unnecessary. Don't want to start anything with the parents or have the kids hate me.

They KILLED another living creature just to watch it die.

I'mnot even going to begin to tell you how big a deal I think that is.

I just know what I would do if it were me. but it's you so you need to do what you feel is right.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    It could be bad, but it could also be nothing.

I had a friend in middle school who had a BB gun and he would shoot pigeons off the power lines. He also shot at squirrels and killed a few. I dont know why, but I did it too.. probably just feeling peer pressure. But like hewhoforgets, I've never shot anything in my life since that day. It actually gave me a bit of a wake-up call to how fragile life is. I still feel bad about it. But I also recall some of the kids bragging about their 'kills'. Some boys need crap like this to feel macho I think. But shortly after that, the guy with the BB gun moved on to go-carting and video games and he didnt kill animals anymore that I knew of. Boys do weird, fucked up shit. But I would watch for other warning signs, as this is said to be similar behavior to some sociopaths/serial killers.. its hard to say unless we know those boys you talk about though.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Hell NO it is not normal.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    sounds like the boys get more of a thrill out of the torture aspect and then the dying is 'finshing off'.

I know one boy in elementary school cornered a badger, and kept poking at it with a stick making it angry...he kept poking it until it died. He grew up to have 4 kids, and a pit bull that he would egg on to go chase cats...well, the dog went on to kill 3 cats in his neighborhood...and he thinks it's funny. I don't like knowing that he is raising his children in this type of environment, but you can't pick your family members, only your friends.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I've never killed or wanted to kill any animal, people on the other hand...
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I used to burn ants when I was around the age of ten. Then I started feeling bad and thought about how I wouldnt want someone to burn me. So I stopped and havent knowingly harmed any sort of animal since. We all have a reason to be here. Who am I to kill something just because it's smaller then me.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    I can understand it if the boys had a gun and were hunting or target shooting. However, the torture aspect of does make you concerned for the boys' mental/emotional health. I'm no professional psychologist or anything like that, but as has been mentioned the torture could be a result of some deep seeded emotional issues. If you think the parents would be receptive to talking about it, I would discuss it with them first. If they are likely to brush it off and not care, then I would find out who handles animal cruelty cases in your area and alert them (although they will likely want some evidence/proof).
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited May 2011
    A few young men in my neighborhood are very unkind to animals. While car pooling to school this morning, a rabbit ran across the road and I had a 5th grader and his 5 year old brother screaming KILL IT! KILL IT!--then the little guy says to his brother "remember when you killed that baby rabbit?" They LAUGHED about it!

Another kid tortures frogs and I've scolded the kindergartener for trying to smack a squirrel with a tree branch. -I told him it was going to jump out of the tree and bite him if he didn't stop and that it wasn't nice to be mean to animals.

I spent waaay too much time last week trying to make sure a baby rabbit I found in my garage was safe from the young lab dog next door... to hear that this kid KILLED one is very upsetting!!

My dad used to drown kittens when he was younger but he has said that that's just 'what you did' to stray kittens in rural areas back in the 50's. I can almost accept that.

Should I say something to the parents? To the kids? Is this just a phase or are there psycho serial killers growing up all around me?

These kids need more parenting. Children need to be taught to be kind and not cruel to animals. If you're the only adult around, YOU should say something. Then, follow it up with a conversation with the child's parent.

Adults need to instill kind behavior into children every time they see some kind of cruel tendency emerging. Parents and adults in general have to teach children what's acceptable and what's not.

And, no, it's not normal for young children to kill baby rabbits and try to hit squirrels with sticks. :|
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    BinGnarly wrote:
    I used to burn ants when I was around the age of ten. Then I started feeling bad and thought about how I wouldnt want someone to burn me. So I stopped and havent knowingly harmed any sort of animal since. We all have a reason to be here. Who am I to kill something just because it's smaller then me.

You know, that's the crux of the matter...it's like they have no empathy for the animals...it's what allows us to decipher helpful from harmful.

EDIT: It also could mean that the same is possibly happening at home to them...just a thought... :think:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    It depends on alot of factors. How are they doin it, how frequent, what kinda animals are they doin it to, where are they brought up??

I was brought up in a rural area and had livestock as a child. I also worked on a hog farm where we had to "thump" the lame pigs. I never really tortured animals, but I killed some frogs, snakes and prolly some other things I can't remember

There were several guys in my school that would drive around every weekend lookin for varmints to kill, skunks, coons, possums, stuff like that and most of them are about as nice a guys as you're gonna meet. There were even times I thought they took it a little too far with it. Just about everybody that grew up around here will have similar stories.

For people to start making comparisons to Ted Bundy is a little ridiculous. Maybe a call is in order, maybe it isn't, but chances are it's just a phase.