Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    https://www.stereogum.com/2194077/u2-will-play-grand-opening-of-worlds-largest-sphere/news/amp/
    For some reason this intrigues me never been to Vegas but this I might go for! 
    Interesting I just heard that on my Sunny 107.9 radio station that they're going to do redency in Vegas. I've been to LV a couple times, if there's EVA a reason to go back THIS would do it. Saving up for a couple shows in 2023 where i hope they would change the setlist every night.

Just don't take me b4 then. I just recovered from my first bout with covid, luckly I've had colds or cramps that were far worse which only lasted less than a day.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    I love u2 but hate the words “Vegas residency””. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    g under p said:
    https://www.stereogum.com/2194077/u2-will-play-grand-opening-of-worlds-largest-sphere/news/amp/
    Saving up for a couple shows in 2023 where i hope they would change the setlist every night.

✌️
    This is U2 we're talking about. They will not change the setlist. The best you can ever hope for from them is a change of a few songs night to night in the same city. But this MGM residency will be in that technological sphere, and I guarantee the show will be heavily tied into visuals (a 21st century ZooTV if you will) and the setlist will likely be 100% static for these shows.
    And I think tickets will be outrageously expensive.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    Saving up for a couple shows in 2023 where i hope they would change the setlist every night.

✌️
    This is U2 we're talking about. They will not change the setlist. The best you can ever hope for from them is a change of a few songs night to night in the same city. But this MGM residency will be in that technological sphere, and I guarantee the show will be heavily tied into visuals (a 21st century ZooTV if you will) and the setlist will likely be 100% static for these shows.
    Why do you think they will be so expensive? From all the shows I've seen in the past they ALWAYS provided or made available reasonably price tickets. It appears their overhead costs will be less than on their usual massive world tours due to less travel, tear down and set up costs.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:

✌️
    Why do you think they will be so expensive? From all the shows I've seen in the past they ALWAYS provided or made available reasonably price tickets. It appears their overhead costs will be less than on their usual massive world tours due to less travel, tear down and set up costs.

✌️
    The whole Vegas thing. I just think this is going to be a very different animal than what we are used to with them. That building is costing almost $2Billion to erect, nobody is getting in there for a show for 50 bucks or anything.
    I expect U2 tix to be $200 for the low end seats and who knows how crazy high for the high end seats.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    edited July 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    I love u2 but hate the words “Vegas residency””.  
    Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:

✌️

✌️
    The whole Vegas thing. I just think this is going to be a very different animal than what we are used to with them. That building is costing almost $2Billion to erect, nobody is getting in there for a show for 50 bucks or anything.
    I expect U2 tix to be $200 for the low end seats and who knows how crazy high for the high end seats.
    I think the first show will be nearly impossible to get tickets for.  MGM is building the Sphere, so I'm guessing they're going to hold back as many tix as possible.  they are going to want to dazzle and entice their gambling whales and their corporate partners with the chance to be the first people to see a show in the venue.  If you see anything pop up for $200, jump on it quick!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    mr bungle said:
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:

✌️

✌️
    I think the first show will be nearly impossible to get tickets for.  MGM is building the Sphere, so I'm guessing they're going to hold back as many tix as possible.  they are going to want to dazzle and entice their gambling whales and their corporate partners with the chance to be the first people to see a show in the venue.  If you see anything pop up for $200, jump on it quick!
    I believe the folks behind this are the Dolans from MSG here in NY but still tickets will be insanely expensive! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Your right!! for some reason I thought it was MGM.  But either way, the first show will be a bitch to get tix for.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:
    Poncier said:
    g under p said:

✌️

✌️
    Either way it will be interesting I'm ready to see some shows from some of my fav bands. If reasonable price tickets become available I'll be the first to post it here.

✌️

• Options

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    When are they announcing Songs of Surrender? The clips on the audiobook sound fantastic. 
  • Options
    Supposedly releasing this month so it must be soon 
  • Options
    Let’s hope!!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    When are they announcing Songs of Surrender? The clips on the audiobook sound fantastic. 
    Nice!! Looking forward to hearing it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Newch91 said:
    What's everyone's favorite DVD? Mine is Slane Castle.
    My favorite DVD has to be Under A Blood Red Sky. However my favorite live performance has to the US Festival 1983. The band was trying to make a name for themselves here in America and I believe they did so with this performance and then some. Young and full of energy Bono took them to another level.

I saw them for tthe first time shortly after the US Fest on the War Tour.

https://youtu.be/Olb6Fgup1uI

Check out Bono around the 42 minute mark on the song Electric Co.

✌️

• Options
    Oh and a nice pat on Bono's back from manager P. McGinnis.

✌️

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    edited November 2022
    I find that once people tend to get over Bono's perceived ego and the notion that the 1987-1994 years of U2 were their absolute best and nothing else deserves a listen, that the later half of their catalogue is still pretty solid. 

I do think that the late 80s and 90s were their best, but there is some pretty strong efforts in the 2000s+. 
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gibson said:
    I find that once people tend to get over Bono's perceived ego and the notion that the 1987-1994 years of U2 were their absolute best and nothing else deserves a listen, that the later half of their catalogue is still pretty solid. 

I do think that the late 80s and 90s were their best, but there is some pretty strong efforts in the 2000s+. 
    Huge U2 fan and How to dismantle is my second fav album of theirs!
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    Looking forward to reading the book and while their heyday has long since passed, I really love Songs of Innocence.
  • Options
    Saw Bono's book tour show last might in Boston. Very good. He had Jackknife Lee with him as well as a woman playing cello and another playing harp and keyboards. Did different arrangements of songs while telling stories from the book. He's a very engaging and humorous storyteller. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    g under p said:
    Newch91 said:
    What's everyone's favorite DVD? Mine is Slane Castle.
    My favorite DVD has to be Under A Blood Red Sky. However my favorite live performance has to the US Festival 1983. The band was trying to make a name for themselves here in America and I believe they did so with this performance and then some. Young and full of energy Bono took them to another level.

I saw them for tthe first time shortly after the US Fest on the War Tour.

https://youtu.be/Olb6Fgup1uI

Check out Bono around the 42 minute mark on the song Electric Co.

✌️
    I was there with 8 of my closest friends we flew out to Cali for the US festival! Unreal weekend and U2 & Clash were the reason we flew out there! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    new cd deluxe set perfect !!
    super excited about this release!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmcVMobt0s

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    I always kind of hoped U2 would do an acoustic/unplugged type album.   I litterally spent last Saturday making a collection of my favourite rock acoustic songs, and there wasn't too much form u2 to to put there (stay for u2 360, johnny cash's cover of one, staring at the sun, sunday bloody sunday (from popmart tour).  Hopefully some of these songs sound good :)
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    Tracklisting for the Songs of Surrender was released today..Gotta say that it looks sexy..
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Stoked to hear these, especially after hearing snippets during Bono's book tour. 

Last night I was browsing comments on U2's IG posts about the new release, mostly from fans who'd probably consider themselves die-hards based on qualifying comments like "I've been a fan since Boy and...", and turns out they're just as entitled and bitchy as us Pearl Jam loyalists. It was oddly refreshing to realize we're not the only fanbase that at times is ungrateful to have a band still writing their story decades into a career. 
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 678
    Poncier said:
    Saw Bono's book tour show last might in Boston. Very good. He had Jackknife Lee with him as well as a woman playing cello and another playing harp and keyboards. Did different arrangements of songs while telling stories from the book. He's a very engaging and humorous storyteller. 
    Saw the show in Madrid and was blown away. Loved the stripped down song arrangements and thought Bono's voice sounded amazing. Really excited about this release. 
  • Options
    Gibson said:
    Tracklisting for the Songs of Surrender was released today..Gotta say that it looks sexy..
    You said it! Pumped the band remembered Miracle Drug & Sometimes you can’t make it on your own. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    jjflash said:
    Stoked to hear these, especially after hearing snippets during Bono's book tour. 

Last night I was browsing comments on U2's IG posts about the new release, mostly from fans who'd probably consider themselves die-hards based on qualifying comments like "I've been a fan since Boy and...", and turns out they're just as entitled and bitchy as us Pearl Jam loyalists. It was oddly refreshing to realize we're not the only fanbase that at times is ungrateful to have a band still writing their story decades into a career. 

haha I realized us die hard fans aren't much different than other bands die hard fans years ago.  Every time I go to a big concert, the band has it's big core die hard fan base.. every band has it.   I'm always amused because I'm like, it's the rolling stones or u2 version of us!