Options

Songs you consider perfect, list some

Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    red mos wrote:
    wow after 6 pages no one even listed the song that came to my mind first. wtf is up with u people?? :lol:

forever young win today's prize

and no, its not the rod stewart version :lol: :shock: :o

soooo glad eddie included 2 dylan songs in his new solo live dvd...even though i'm almost sure he left off the last verse of forever young...which just isn't right....

p.s there is no 2nd place prize in this category. ;)

He actually did 3 Dylan songs. "All along the watchtower" is in the extras. :mrgreen:

good call! didnt get that far yet. yum i love watchtower. best song ever. oops!
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Houses On The Hill - Whiskeytown
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Mazzy Star - Fade into You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKY6TZEyrI
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Entire albums:
    Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind and Blood On The Tracks
    Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    Tom Petty - Wildflowers
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    The Stones - Exile On Main Street
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Weight, Chest Fever
    The Ronettes - Be My Baby
    CCR - Born On The Bayou
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Some are covers but are preferred by the listed artists:
    Aerosmith-Dream On
    Arcade Fire-Rebellion
    Black Crowes-She Talks to Angels
    Bob Marley-Redemption Song, Three Little Birds
    Bruce Springsteen-Glory Days
    Counting Crows-Mr. Jones, Rain King, Einstein on the Beach
    Foo Fighters-Monkeywrench
    Guns N Roses-Paradise City
    Jimi Hendrix-All Along The Watchtower
    Johnny Cash-I Walk the Line, Hurt
    Led Zeppelin-Rock and Roll, Black Dog
    Live-I Alone
    Metallica-The Unforgiven, One
    Neil Young-Rockin in the Free World
    Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Pearl Jam-Black, Corduroy, Alive
    Phil Collins-In The Air Tonight
    Prince-Let's Go Crazy
    Queens of the Stoneage-3's and 7's
    REM-What's the Frequency Kenneth, End of the World as We Know It
    Rolling Stones-Paint it Black, Sympathy for the Devil
    Smashing Pumpkins-1979, Disarm
    STP-Plush
    Strokes-You Only Live Once
    Temple of the Dog-Hungerstrike
    Tom Petty-The Waiting, American Girl, Running Down a Dream
    U2-Pride, Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For
    Weezer-Island in the Sun
    The Who-Baba O'Riley
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Reminded of another one on the way home last nite, "How Soon is Now", The Smiths
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Reminded of another one on the way home last nite, "How Soon is Now", The Smiths

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Yep, and I would certainly put in a vote for There is a Light that Never Goes Out as well!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    tremors wrote:

Yep, and I would certainly put in a vote for There is a Light that Never Goes Out as well!
    Yes!

It's a song that I loved the second I heard it in high school, and it's STILL good. It really captures the feel of music at that time too, adding to its perfection :)
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Yes!

It's a song that I loved the second I heard it in high school, and it's STILL good. It really captures the feel of music at that time too, adding to its perfection :)

There was a girl in my class who was really into the Smiths back then - used to wear glasses and a 'Meat is Murder' T-shirt under her school blouse. This was around '85, and we were about 13 years old. She was a bit of a loner, really intelligent, and kind of used to get picked on. I didn't really know the Smiths much back then, I got her to play me some one time and I just thought 'How fucking miserable!'.

I didn't start to appreciate the Smiths until I was in my twenties, but I play them as much as I do any artist today - always love them! I was listening to Meat is Murder the other day, and thinking about this poor girl - how she was listening to all this Morrissey at the time.....

Anyway - they are remarkable songs! I think of Morrissey as the quintessential English lyricist. He's probably in my top 4 lyricists, along with Dylan, Vedder, and Roger Waters on a good day.

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    metsfan wrote:
    jungleland

Oh hell yeah! That song is the definition of perfection.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Do You Realize - Flaming Lips

This was the choice I made today. Glad to see I'm not alone.. jeeze I feel like I'm copying you keeponrockin!
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    I'm gonna say Queensryche: Eyes of a Stranger

So, um. 1979. Really?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    jonesjc14jonesjc14 Posts: 32
    Take you on a Cruise- Interpol
    Don't Follow- AIC
    Neighborhood #3(Power Out)- Arcade Fire
    Deserted- Blind Melon
    Stay or Leave- Dame Matthews & Tim Reynolds (Live @ Radio City)
    Transatlanticism- DCFC
    End of the Road- Eddie Vedder
    Hey Johnny Park- Foo Fighters
    Wind it Up- moe.
    Wizard Burial Ground- Umphrey's
    Sing for Absolution- MUSE
    Hank to Hendrix- Neil Young
    Pearl Jam....
    You Enjoy Myself- Phish
    Time(Breathe)- Pink Floyd
    American Life- Primus
    The Awakening- Les Claypool
    Subterranean Homesick Alien- Radiohead
    Entire By the Way album by RHCP(minus "throw away your television")
    Mayonaise, Hummer- Smashing Pumpkins
    Seasons- Chris Cornell
    Adhesive- STP
    Hi-Line- Jeff Ament
    Whiskey- Trampled by Turtles
    "Locking up a drug dealer isn't a deterrent, it's a job opening."
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Do You Realize - Flaming Lips

This was the choice I made today. Glad to see I'm not alone.. jeeze I feel like I'm copying you keeponrockin!
    It's an amazing song!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

• Options
    Just listened to a song that needs to make the list - When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin - maybe it's been said before, but what a tune!!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Just listened to a song that needs to make the list - When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin - maybe it's been said before, but what a tune!!!
    my fav zep tune...fuckin outstanding song
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

+1

any song from 1-4 and Physical Graffiti is perfect IMO
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

+1

any song from 1-4 and Physical Graffiti is perfect IMO
    i agree:)
  • Options
    I could list about 30 Led Zep songs in this thread. Ok, why not?

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You; Dazed and Confused; Communication Breakdown; How Many More Times; What is and what should Never Be; Thank You; Ramble On; Immigrant Song; Friends; Since I've Been Loving You; Gallows Pole; Tangerine; Black Dog; Rock and Roll; Battle of Evermore; Stairway to Heaven; 4 Sticks; Going to CA; When the Levee Breaks; Song Remains the Same; Rain Song; Over the Hills...; No Quarter; The Rover; Kashmir; In the Light; Bron-yr-Aur; Ten Years Gone; Sick Again; Achilles Last Stand; Nobody's Fault but Mine; All My Love; Wearing and Tearing
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    really gets me going:
    The Hip - Yer Not The Ocean

Wow I Love this song.... :)
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Journey? Really?

Yes Journey, their a classic band to me, you have a problem with that?
    To each is own, but I think they're terrible. Absolute cheese with absolutely no substance. The Nickelback of the 70s/80s. Not trying to pick a fight, just surprised to see them on the list.

Surely you have to enjoy some cheesy bands?

Dio = Fucking awesome. Love that band, and I loved the man. Cheesy? Yeah, I would say so.
    Van Halen = with Sammy Hagar, I think this band is the epitomy.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Son Of Sam---Elliott Smith
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You; Dazed and Confused; Communication Breakdown; How Many More Times; What is and what should Never Be; Thank You; Ramble On; Immigrant Song; Friends; Since I've Been Loving You; Gallows Pole; Tangerine; Black Dog; Rock and Roll; Battle of Evermore; Stairway to Heaven; 4 Sticks; Going to CA; When the Levee Breaks; Song Remains the Same; Rain Song; Over the Hills...; No Quarter; The Rover; Kashmir; In the Light; Bron-yr-Aur; Ten Years Gone; Sick Again; Achilles Last Stand; Nobody's Fault but Mine; All My Love; Wearing and Tearing

Haha - this made me smile. What a list! I would agree with most of them being perfect. Have been spinning II & IV over the weekend - Thank You and Ramble On are definitely amongst the best things I have ever heard. They knew what they were doing those Zepsters!

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Haha - this made me smile. What a list! I would agree with most of them being perfect. Have been spinning II & IV over the weekend - Thank You and Ramble On are definitely amongst the best things I have ever heard. They knew what they were doing those Zepsters!

Many bands have ripped off songs by old or dead blues singers, but nobody did it like Zep. 8-)

Led Zep 4th album: arguably 7 of 8 songs are perfect. Wow.

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Many bands have ripped off songs by old or dead blues singers, but nobody did it like Zep. 8-)

Led Zep 4th album: arguably 7 of 8 songs are perfect. Wow.

I'm quite partial to a bit of Misty Mountain Hop! It's Stairway to Heaven I find overhyped. I think of it as an 'average' Led Zep song (don't kill me!!)

• Options
    The Jam:

That's Entertainment
    Town Called Malice

Perfect!