facebook and ex's

brother123brother123 Posts: 792
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I just had the weirdest yet confused yet pleasantly kind conversation with an ex girlfriend

has this happened to anyone else? Im sure it has share your story
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I denied my ex's friend request. I don't want to go there again, it didn't end well and he was a jerk that treated me very badly. I'm married now and see no reason why I need a friendship with him. That's just my thoughts on the subject.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Oh My GOD!!! You just wrote my thoughts exactly!!! I refused mine too and got the hell of there!!! :lol::lol:
    I denied my ex's friend request. I don't want to go there again, it didn't end well and he was a jerk that treated me very badly. I'm married now and see no reason why I need a friendship with him. That's just my thoughts on the subject.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    Mine wished me a happy birthday the last 2 years even though we had a very bad breakup about 6 years ago :? .

(we became "friends" on Facebook when we were dating and neither one of us deleted the other)
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Loulou wrote:
    Oh My GOD!!! You just wrote my thoughts exactly!!! I refused mine too and got the hell of there!!! :lol::lol:
    I denied my ex's friend request. I don't want to go there again, it didn't end well and he was a jerk that treated me very badly. I'm married now and see no reason why I need a friendship with him. That's just my thoughts on the subject.

Agreed, now something funny about his is that he is a huge PJ fan and I made sure word got back to him that I met and hugged Eddie Vedder. ;) All I had to do was tell a mutual friend that I knew would get word back to him and voila. I know that is juvenile, but still, it felt good.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Loulou wrote:

Agreed, now something funny about his is that he is a huge PJ fan and I made sure word got back to him that I met and hugged Eddie Vedder. ;) All I had to do was tell a mutual friend that I knew would get word back to him and voila. I know that is juvenile, but still, it felt good.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    question....my ex from a loooooooooooong time ago and i have a mutual fb friend. this was the first girl i loved. breakup was kinda bad but a long time ago--took forever go get over. but she is now divorced with a kid. i am now married.

when we realized we had a mutual friend and commented on the same post a couple years ago, it sparked one of those "hey how are you?" message exchanges...but we never became facebook friends. and haven't talked since.

every once in a while (like just a couple times a year maybe) i glance at her page out of curiosity. that's how i noticed she got divorced last year. tonight i randomly check it and find out her mom passed. i really liked her family, especially her mom. seems like a sudden thing. she was only 60-ish. how in the hell do i message her my condolences without seeming like a weirdo? she literally died just a week ago. i feel compelled to say i'm sorry to hear the news and all but i feel strange since we're not even facebook friends.

any advice?
    www.myspace.com
  • question....my ex from a loooooooooooong time ago and i have a mutual fb friend. this was the first girl i loved. breakup was kinda bad but a long time ago--took forever go get over. but she is now divorced with a kid. i am now married.

when we realized we had a mutual friend and commented on the same post a couple years ago, it sparked one of those "hey how are you?" message exchanges...but we never became facebook friends. and haven't talked since.

every once in a while (like just a couple times a year maybe) i glance at her page out of curiosity. that's how i noticed she got divorced last year. tonight i randomly check it and find out her mom passed. i really liked her family, especially her mom. seems like a sudden thing. she was only 60-ish. how in the hell do i message her my condolences without seeming like a weirdo? she literally died just a week ago. i feel compelled to say i'm sorry to hear the news and all but i feel strange since we're not even facebook friends.

any advice?
    My guess is that she and the rest of her family will appreciate the condolences and not even think about how you learned of her mom's death.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    question....my ex from a loooooooooooong time ago and i have a mutual fb friend. this was the first girl i loved. breakup was kinda bad but a long time ago--took forever go get over. but she is now divorced with a kid. i am now married.

any advice?
    My guess is that she and the rest of her family will appreciate the condolences and not even think about how you learned of her mom's death.

you might be right.....i am going to a college reunion thing soon (we dated in college) so i could make it seem like was going to message her something about that and then say how i saw this on her page.... :?
    www.myspace.com
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Facebook drama.. stop drinking the koolaid!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • every once in a while (like just a couple times a year maybe) i glance at her page out of curiosity. that's how i noticed she got divorced last year. tonight i randomly check it and find out her mom passed. i really liked her family, especially her mom. seems like a sudden thing. she was only 60-ish. how in the hell do i message her my condolences without seeming like a weirdo? she literally died just a week ago. i feel compelled to say i'm sorry to hear the news and all but i feel strange since we're not even facebook friends.

any advice?

you might be right.....i am going to a college reunion thing soon (we dated in college) so i could make it seem like was going to message her something about that and then say how i saw this on her page.... :?
    You could have heard about it from a mutual friend, there's all kinds of ways you could have found out about it.

After my dad's death, the notes and cards from people really meant a lot to me. I never stopped to wonder how anyone found out he had died, I just appreciated the sentiment expressed.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited February 2012
    Oh Hell! Here I go...
    This past October I get a call from my mom! she tells me to use her facebook thingy. I sign in and find out my husband is divorced? Oh yeah , it happened! So I am divorced.
    My "friends" tell me to join facebook if I want to meet friends. (Hell no, I pay to talk to random pj fans!) Yesterday , My ex- mother in law tells me how much she hates my ex's new girlfriend.
    I call my friend in Florida.. have you met her.. "yeah.. she's nice" . My gosh ! they met on match dot com months ago!
    At least he was a man enough to divorce me before dating her. I was with him for 15 years!!!! I was a kid! He's a brat. I'm no way going to take him back.. after tramp stamp.. tattoo girl is finished,, yuck.
    My first Pearl Jam concert, he wanted to Leave before the encore (yellow ledbetter) (never giving that boot away), I should have known then, but
    I was 14?

Ex's should stay on The Facebook!
    I agree!!!!!
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • I'm friends with my ex-wife on FB mainly so she can see how happy my life is now. She cheated on me and ruined what we had barely a year into it and thank God we didn't have any kids or anything. Anyway, she's been through another husband since me and seems destined to that kind of life.

Meanwhile, I re-married about five years later, had a son three years after that, and now have a little girl to round out our family. We're cool with one another, but I love knowing she knows she screwed things up and how great things have turned out for me. :D
    I have been to three shows!! no kids or husband. makes me sick :twisted:

You could have heard about it from a mutual friend, there's all kinds of ways you could have found out about it.

After my dad's death, the notes and cards from people really meant a lot to me. I never stopped to wonder how anyone found out he had died, I just appreciated the sentiment expressed.

thanks for the advice wp. much appreciated.
    www.myspace.com
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I'm over 30 therefore i am too old for a Facebook page.

Ex's are ex's for a reason move along.
    My butt itches!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    DURP wrote:
    I'm over 30 therefore i am too old for a Facebook page.

Ex's are ex's for a reason move along.
    Well I'm 33 and say.. delete 'em before you add the next one. 8-)
    edited February 2012
    Oh please! I have to remind my ex that his father passed away this week!
    And call my ex-mother in law
    In the famous words of Justin Timberlake..
    "Cry me a river..."
    "What goes around comes around... comes around then back around.."

I'm the one crying that my ex father in law died six years ago. My ex wouldn't even open an email.. if it wasn't business.. :roll:
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I got a few ex's on facebook... because I'm still friends with them.

Kinda amusing watching other peoples' relationship drama go down on facebook sometimes. It's like being given a free pass to be a voyeur. Ah, the modern age.
  • Good stalker fodder.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I don't think it would be bad for you to send her your condolences...just make sure that it doesn't inadvertently lead to some kind of stronger relationship. Not saying that you would, but exes are a tricky thing and it's easy to fall back into old habits. I would send her your condolences and just leave it at that, you know?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Facebook blows.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Facebook blows.

beat it old man
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    imalive wrote:
    Facebook blows.

beat it old man

that vistaprint offer of 250 business cards for $10 is a good deal.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I saw one of my ex's on FB and I see that he put the same lies in his profile about having a degree that he told me. After we broke up, I saw his brother and I asked him why he did what he did for a living if he had a degree in ______. He laughed and said he doesn't have a degree.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I denied my ex's friend request. I don't want to go there again, it didn't end well and he was a jerk that treated me very badly. I'm married now and see no reason why I need a friendship with him. That's just my thoughts on the subject.
    Funny, this is pretty much my situation in reverse :lol:
    I dated a girl whom I liked a lot in HS, but I ended up screwing it up. It wasnt a trainwreck of a breakup but after HS we didnt speak nor see eachother very much. Every now and then we'll bump into each other (I'm happily married for 5 years now) and we're both very cordial as is my wife. But she's denied my friend request. Not sure if A. she hates me and thinks I'm a turd, B. Is taking the same stance as you, or C. Avoiding pissing off my wife. We all have about 50-60 mutual friends. Doesnt bother me, but like I said I always thought she was a great person and 12+ years later I think it's perfectly normal to stay in touch...or am I being creepy?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Funny, this is pretty much my situation in reverse :lol:
    I dated a girl whom I liked a lot in HS, but I ended up screwing it up. It wasnt a trainwreck of a breakup but after HS we didnt speak nor see eachother very much. Every now and then we'll bump into each other (I'm happily married for 5 years now) and we're both very cordial as is my wife. But she's denied my friend request. Not sure if A. she hates me and thinks I'm a turd, B. Is taking the same stance as you, or C. Avoiding pissing off my wife. We all have about 50-60 mutual friends. Doesnt bother me, but like I said I always thought she was a great person and 12+ years later I think it's perfectly normal to stay in touch...or am I being creepy?

she prob 'doesn't want to go there'.

I'd like to see what some old friend's are up to...but, they are the kind of people that wouldn't sign up for it. (back in the day they were against pagers/cell phones) Plus there are people I don't want to have anything to do with. Though it might be fun to get a friend request from them and then tell them to F-off...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • imalive wrote:
    Facebook blows.
    I agree, although we use it at work as another way of marketing. When you're a nonprofit, you have to be creative! :mrgreen:

I've been with the same man for so long (all my life :lol: ) that this whole discussion of how to handle your exes on FB is out of the realm of my existence. :lol:
  • facebook and ex g/fs dont work. Especially if you're married. just move on...just my opinion :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    facebook and ex g/fs dont work. Especially if you're married. just move on...just my opinion :)

I tend to agree with this. My hubby told me not too long ago that his ex-gf (first love) facebooked him and asked him to 'catch up' over a cup of coffee. :evil: :evil: :evil: Of course he said no...I just couldn't believe she had the nerve to ask. She better hope to never meet me in a dark alley at some point...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    My ex husband (been divorced since 2002) passed away 11 months ago, an ex boyfriend of mine (from after the divorce) sent me an email saying "I was stalking your facebook and saw that your ex husband passed away......I'm so sorry.........." etc. My Ex-Boyfriend and I are not facebook friends but we have stayed in contact via email (he's in another state) every now and then. I always felt like if I tried to friend him on Facebook he would deny my request as I am from an earlier part of his life, which is very different now.....and I think he probably felt/feels the same way about friending me on Facebook.............anyway, I found it "endearing" (is that the right word?) when he emailed me and said he was "stalking my facebook"............lol. I have issues........., I know.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........