My job-nightshift, depression and a change of pace

1235»

Comments

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I worked midnight shifts once and it sucked the life out of me, however some don't have the option and have to work shift work. If you can avoid it, probably best to do so. You should really see a counselor.

wonder why you didnt mention this on your first post? how hard is it to say, "i may disagree with you on some things but, hey i worked night shift as well and it was.."
    mickeyrat wrote:
    creation of art for arts sake? or is it a means to an end?

I suggest a book of letters " Letters to a young poet" Ranier Maira Rilke. Contains some very good insight and poses some very good questions.

Rilke changed my life. earlier this week i posted a thread about wanting to get a quote from that book as a tattoo. He perfectly describes why i do art. i do it because i would die if i didnt do art. as i said, life changing book and author.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    it's getting very personal in here, can't we all just get along?
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    smalltownbeck, you have a perculiar view of condescension. so suggesting, based on the stellar evidence of a few posts on a forum, you deduced i was lazy, didnt want to work for my dream job, that i just wanted it without having to work for it. that isnt condescenion? or calling me pretentious? I dont know you, or judge you, but i didnt notice you including youself in the lazy, and wanting a dream job without having to work for it? did you forget to include your name? arent you by definition being condescending TO ME? Acting holier than thou, snooty, and rude?

I didn't call you lazy, I merely pointed out that people rarely fall into their dream jobs. They are a goal, something to work towards. How am I lazy? I am working towards what I want. I was rude? :?

It seems to me you are judging me plenty.

I am flattered you seem fixated on my comments while others also had plenty to say.
    I worked midnight shifts once and it sucked the life out of me, however some don't have the option and have to work shift work. If you can avoid it, probably best to do so. You should really see a counselor.

wonder why you didnt mention this on your first post? how hard is it to say, "i may disagree with you on some things but, hey i worked night shift as well and it was.."

I did suggest seeing a counselor. I am guessing at this point anything I say will be wrong. :roll:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    mickeyrat wrote:
    creation of art for arts sake? or is it a means to an end?

I suggest a book of letters " Letters to a young poet" Ranier Maira Rilke. Contains some very good insight and poses some very good questions.

Rilke changed my life. earlier this week i posted a thread about wanting to get a quote from that book as a tattoo. He perfectly describes why i do art. i do it because i would die if i didnt do art. as i said, life changing book and author.
    In that book he tells the young man to perservere. I tell you the same thing. Does not your current experience fuel what you create? Isnt that what art is? a filtered view of what the artist experiences? must it a vocation for you? or can it simply be an avocation.

You knew from the op that you would get some of what you got on here. Can I ask you to leave that stuff aside and begin addressing some of the valid ideas proffered?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I think a lot of people have gone out of their way to offer you decent advice on this topic and you are choosing to dwell on the few negative comments. I don't know what you expected when you start a thread off with a threat. Asking advice means you are willing to hear it all, whether you like it or not.
    smalltownbeck, you have a perculiar view of condescension. so suggesting, based on the stellar evidence of a few posts on a forum, you deduced i was lazy, didnt want to work for my dream job, that i just wanted it without having to work for it. that isnt condescenion? or calling me pretentious? I dont know you, or judge you, but i didnt notice you including youself in the lazy, and wanting a dream job without having to work for it? did you forget to include your name? arent you by definition being condescending TO ME? Acting holier than thou, snooty, and rude?

I didn't call you lazy, I merely pointed out that people rarely fall into their dream jobs. They are a goal, something to work towards. How am I lazy? I am working towards what I want. I was rude? :?

I am flattered you seem fixated on my comments while others also had plenty to say.

i just think people generally love to judge others. lets face it, few people would post a rant like i did, honest, and raw, and not be pissed off if others told them what i was told. everyone likes judging others. i think the obvious answer to why is that it makes them feel superior and better than others. You may not be in control of your own life, your wife may be leaving you, you may be depressed, you may have major issues, but sitting on that high horse, throwing rocks from a glass house, it can feel pretty damn good to some people. you exorcise some of your own anger about powerlessness and you get to feel like you are holier than thou while doing it, and making another human feel degraded. and again, the term condensension means feeling like your are superior than another person or making someone feel that way. If you tell someone that they dont want to work for their dream job, you sure as hell are calling them lazy. Admit it. Own up. You sure arent calling that person an ambitious and driven person!

I love how people refuse to own up to their own ideas. You called me lazy. Own up to it.
    I think a lot of people have gone out of their way to offer you decent advice on this topic and you are choosing to dwell on the few negative comments. I don't know what you expected when you start a thread off with a threat. Asking advice means you are willing to hear it all, whether you like it or not.

i sincerely thanked those people. Did you read that post? And there were more than a "few" negative responses. You have no right to tell me how im acting in this situation. This isnt a thread on which member of the band we most identify with. This is a thread literally about MY LIFE. To have others judge me, or to harass me, and belittle me, is an attack on me, and i sincerely believe that.

If you cant read through an honest post, and follow BASIC SOCIETAL DECENCY, i'd say you really need help, friend
    I think a lot of people have gone out of their way to offer you decent advice on this topic and you are choosing to dwell on the few negative comments. I don't know what you expected when you start a thread off with a threat. Asking advice means you are willing to hear it all, whether you like it or not.

Well if you are going to be reasonable and use common sense :roll: :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Get over yourself op
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

i just think people generally love to judge others. lets face it, few people would post a rant like i did, honest, and raw, and not be pissed off if others told them what i was told. everyone likes judging others. i think the obvious answer to why is that it makes them feel superior and better than others. You may not be in control of your own life, your wife may be leaving you, you may be depressed, you may have major issues, but sitting on that high horse, throwing rocks from a glass house, it can feel pretty damn good to some people. you exorcise some of your own anger about powerlessness and you get to feel like you are holier than thou while doing it, and making another human feel degraded. and again, the term condensension means feeling like your are superior than another person or making someone feel that way. If you tell someone that they dont want to work for their dream job, you sure as hell are calling them lazy. Admit it. Own up. You sure arent calling that person an ambitious and driven person!

I love how people refuse to own up to their own ideas. You called me lazy. Own up to it.

Excuse me? Don't put words in my mouth. If that is what you read into, that is your issue not mine.

I did not set out to degrade you but I like others were trying to point out the steps you may want to take to make said changes...you know other than just bitching and moaning about them on a Pearl Jam message board.

I have issues??? You think I may have issues??? That is fucking rich, my friend. :lol::lol::lol:

so smalltownbeck and thesewordselope, you gonna be posting your life story on here. you have the guts. I posted my life story, to thousands, hundreds of thousands of people. If you have the guts and the wherewithall, i'd love to see your posts. And since my posts were honest, i expect no less from you two. Leave nothing out.

And of course, since my thread was the experiment, you of course know the results. how people will act. and of course, if people sit in judgement and are outright rude and inconsiderate, i expect you to act the same way you expect me to behave. sit there and take it.

the term thats important smalltownbeck, isnt pretentious, its hypocrite.

you are a doozy thats for damn sure
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479

i sincerely thanked those people. Did you read that post? And there were more than a "few" negative responses. You have no right to tell me how im acting in this situation. This isnt a thread on which member of the band we most identify with. This is a thread literally about MY LIFE. To have others judge me, or to harass me, and belittle me, is an attack on me, and i sincerely believe that.

If you cant read through an honest post, and follow BASIC SOCIETAL DECENCY, i'd say you really need help, friend
    i think the only person who needs help who has posted in this thread is you.
    you have some serious insecurities. no wonder you are getting no where in life. you freak out any time someone says anything that is the truth.
    no one here, especially small town, is trying to be mean. we are just stating the truth. sorry if its not what you want to hear.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

Well this is a message board. You have a long history of "interesting" posts on the subject of the grocery store, what direction you want to go in life, and it goes on and on.

So the risk you take by opening yourself up is you are going to get some good advice, some honest criticism, some people who make light of your ("innocent, immature, ignorant, lazy, foolheaded, condecending, entitled, intelligent, sincere, stupid, whiney, honest, INSERT WHATEVER HERE) way that you come across.

A few of those words above that are not that nice, are what I feel when I read your post.

I'm not calling you those things, I'm just saying that is the way many of your posts make me feel, and 98 out of 100 times I just click away from your threads.

Even in your defense of yourself you come across as someone I want to slam. I don't go around slamming people on this board, or any board, or anywhere in real life, but if some of the things you post drive me to want to post a you tube video of the John Belushi destroying your guitar, then I can understand others who take random shots at you.

So you are reaching out on this board, and want all good responses. You have received a lot. Take some of that advice and leave the antagonizing out of it. (yes your original post was antagonizing in it's plea for humanity.)

It's hard to resist responding in kind to that type of attitude.

Believe me I tried.
    edited May 2011

so smalltownbeck and thesewordselope, you gonna be posting your life story on here. you have the guts. I posted my life story, to thousands, hundreds of thousands of people. If you have the guts and the wherewithall, i'd love to see your posts. And since my posts were honest, i expect no less from you two. Leave nothing out.

And of course, since my thread was the experiment, you of course know the results. how people will act. and of course, if people sit in judgement and are outright rude and inconsiderate, i expect you to act the same way you expect me to behave. sit there and take it.

Holy this dead horse is getting a beating tonight!!!
    Post edited by small town beck on
    so im done. im sick of this. im sick of feeling this way every single time i post, being mocked, openly belittled and made to feel inferior, and inhuman. i reported the many people who posted hurtful comments, and i sincerely hope kat and sea take some sort of action. Im done with this thread. ive had it.

Ive wasted too much of my life in this thread.
    :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    81 wrote:
    :lol:
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642

and how many times have we heard your story? Jesus every few months we have to go through this self-pitying monologue of 'a struggling artist against the world' crap. No one is going to post a golden ticket for you to paint for a living and i'm unsure why you think anyone will.

Just about every thread you ever create ends up with you going on a rampage and calling half the posters names and acting like a spoilt, childish brat with as much grace, charm and warmth as a pubic louse.

You think everyone has a problem with you but they don't! YOU'RE the one with the problem. It's getting really old really fast now. If you are depressed - go see a counciler. If you want career advice - go see a career advisor. If you want people to dislike you - carry on the way you are.

Enough people have posted enough advice to you over the years and yet you still continue to ignore them all and post on here the same thing again and again. It's nothing but attention seeking rubbish.

I think you just look for things to moan about. Take a long hard look at yourself and how you want people to treat you and react to you.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2011

I've been sitting back quietly, but I must say, this was the most uncalled for post of the day. And when the emotions have settled I hope you have the basic societal decency to apologize.
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

Ditto!
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    I wouldn't hire you.
    Mcam55 wrote:
    I wouldn't hire you.
    :lol: post of the week
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    so those that took the time to type out nice, thoughtful and caring posts, i honestly thank you and will look over the advice and weigh it. And see how it stacks up with what i feel is right.

to those who despite my warning, which was not hidden, it was the first couple sentences of the original post, it stuns me people would not only ignore my wishes to be polite and courteous, but also that you all could be so unbelievably cold and unfeeling while doing it. Ive never understood the way forums work, in terms of how despicable people can be, and how they feel like they can say anything, including things that are hurtful and mean, and can go about their lives. What do i know, im just someone who's always been empathtic and sensitive to others and my own feelings.

Yes, some things are a part of life, and are part of the human experience. That doesnt make them any less real or painful or earth shakingly upsetting. A teen going through the teen experience, is looking for a little more comfort than someone saying "grow up, we all went through it, you are a baby". My experiences are important, and i will not apologize for how i feel, nor my views on art, on work, on graveyard shifts, on any of it. The way i feel about them will not be shaken by the petulance and hardened and crusted over hearts that make up some posters on this thread.

Rest assured, everyone who has belittled my feelings and made a mockery of my wishes, which were, lets be honest people, not asking a hell of a lot, will be reported to the admins. that is a promise. So proceed at risk. You have now been warned twice. Just stop it.

If nothing else i deserve common courtesy. That involves heeding my instructions, and that involves not making jokes about me, not putting me down.

It saddens me that a board, for a band that stands for such powerful things, would draw such a disgusting crowd as this one, with few exceptions.

I dont know what Ed or the guys would do if they heard my story, or if i sent them the story in e-mail form and they read it. I assume though, going on what i know about the band and the guys, is that they would have been a class act like always. I'd be gobsmacked if Ed or Mike would tell me to Grow up, or that it was just a part of life and i was a baby.

This has taken a turn for the worst. You tell people you want them to be kind, and then you call them "a disgusting crowd?" Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

I also worked in a grocery store, for three years (along with another frequent poster here) through high school, in order to save up for college. I think it's safe to say it isn't anybody's dream job. I graduated with a degree in Secondary Education almost one year ago, and it has been almost impossible to find a full-time job. I understand they do not just fall into one's lap. But have I finished my search, just because it has thus far, been fruitless? No. Things take time. Am I bummed that I won't be able to continue teaching next school year because of lay offs? Definitely. But that won't stop someone who has a genuine work ethic and desire to succeed.

(By the way, I love being able to go out at night, too... I think everyone does. But there are things more important in life, and sometimes you've just "gotta do what you gotta do.")

There were some very thoughtful suggestions on here, and as others had previously mentioned, it really seems like you are dwelling on the ones you should simply overlook. People who do not know you and probably never will have taken the time out of their lives to offer you advice. You should be thankful for that alone, whether you like what they said or not. For you to tell someone that they must "become familiar with common human decency, it would serve you well" is totally uncalled for. Who are you to judge others, while placing so much emphasis on making sure no one from this forum judges you and your open-book approach to your "life story?"

And if you think Ed would read this thread and have pity on you, well, let's just leave it at "I disagree."
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,014
    Please see the Posting Guidelines. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91525

Be nice. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. If you cannot get along with someone it's time to put them on ignore. Since we don't have an ignore feature on this forum it will be up to you to not respond to the posts. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.