My job-nightshift, depression and a change of pace

Comments

• Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    You might be able to claim them?

:lol:

Either that or you could use your socks :shock:

Detergent usage would go through the roof though, and using your washing machine so often is not very environmental friendly.

Maybe a really posh sperm clinic would provide you with tissues? :think:

Yeah i'm sure a really good one would be able to give you 'a hand' with anything you need.
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691

Yeah i'm sure a really good one would be able to give you 'a hand' with anything you need.

bahahahahhaa

Well you did say you were looking for a job no??
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    There is a lot of good advice in here. Including some I gave you.

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117827&hilit=grocery

Since you have not responded to anyone in this thread, and never gave closure to the above thread, I don't know why people should give you advice when you don't even give a slight update of your situation.

I would caution anyone not to read that thread. It is a doozy. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

bahahahahhaa

Yeah I am. Hope the agencies are straight forward with me though. I really hate being 'Jerked' around :lol:

oh dear....

bahahahahhaa

Yeah I am. Hope the agencies are straight forward with me though. I really hate being 'Jerked' around :lol:

oh dear....

Oh dear god!! You have some zingers today :lol:
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Wilds wrote:

Since you have not responded to anyone in this thread, and never gave closure to the above thread, I don't know why people should give you advice when you don't even give a slight update of your situation.

I would caution anyone not to read that thread. It is a doozy. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
    Ha ha, I remember that thread.

Whatever happened to decides2dream?
    Wilds wrote:

Dunno. hope she's OK :cry:
    Wilds wrote:

I don't know. I think before she took a break from the board but I thought she would be back. I hope all is well with her!
    Wilds wrote:

That isn't even the thread I was referring to?! :?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    Wilds wrote:

was it this one?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=109484&hilit=grocery+job
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

was it this one?

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... rocery+job

This one:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=143031
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

except for the godfather 2, no sequel has ever been as good as the original :P
    norm wrote:

except for the godfather 2, no sequel has ever been as good as the original :P

:lol::lol::lol:
    Wilds wrote:

Ooops. I posted the wrong one. lol. I meant to post the one with the 'quitting the grocery job for a PJ show'.

heee heee. That's what I get for my :twisted: efforts.
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

was it this one?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=109484&hilit=grocery+job

This one.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    so those that took the time to type out nice, thoughtful and caring posts, i honestly thank you and will look over the advice and weigh it. And see how it stacks up with what i feel is right.

to those who despite my warning, which was not hidden, it was the first couple sentences of the original post, it stuns me people would not only ignore my wishes to be polite and courteous, but also that you all could be so unbelievably cold and unfeeling while doing it. Ive never understood the way forums work, in terms of how despicable people can be, and how they feel like they can say anything, including things that are hurtful and mean, and can go about their lives. What do i know, im just someone who's always been empathtic and sensitive to others and my own feelings.

Yes, some things are a part of life, and are part of the human experience. That doesnt make them any less real or painful or earth shakingly upsetting. A teen going through the teen experience, is looking for a little more comfort than someone saying "grow up, we all went through it, you are a baby". My experiences are important, and i will not apologize for how i feel, nor my views on art, on work, on graveyard shifts, on any of it. The way i feel about them will not be shaken by the petulance and hardened and crusted over hearts that make up some posters on this thread.

Rest assured, everyone who has belittled my feelings and made a mockery of my wishes, which were, lets be honest people, not asking a hell of a lot, will be reported to the admins. that is a promise. So proceed at risk. You have now been warned twice. Just stop it.

If nothing else i deserve common courtesy. That involves heeding my instructions, and that involves not making jokes about me, not putting me down.

It saddens me that a board, for a band that stands for such powerful things, would draw such a disgusting crowd as this one, with few exceptions.

I dont know what Ed or the guys would do if they heard my story, or if i sent them the story in e-mail form and they read it. I assume though, going on what i know about the band and the guys, is that they would have been a class act like always. I'd be gobsmacked if Ed or Mike would tell me to Grow up, or that it was just a part of life and i was a baby.
    And now I'll give some actual advice.

Go overseas. Leave everything and learn about yourself, another culture, and have time to be creative all in one.

You have a college degree, so you can show up on the shore of Korea, China, Japan, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and many other places and be a teacher of English as a second language.

It is a fucking awesome experience, and there is a lot of down time to do what you want.

Depending on where you go you can make a bit of money, and the hours are generally 9-5.

Check it out.

EDIT: Damn was typing at the same time as the OP. Wish mine had been posted first.... but good advice still the same.
    Wilds wrote:

Go overseas. Leave everything and learn about yourself, another culture, and have time to be creative all in one.

You have a college degree, so you can show up on the shore of Korea, China, Japan, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and many other places and be a teacher of English as a second language.

It is a fucking awesome experience, and there is a lot of down time to do what you want.

Depending on where you go you can make a bit of money, and the hours are generally 9-5.

Check it out.

EDIT: Damn was typing at the same time as the OP. Wish mine had been posted first.... but good advice still the same.
    There are two on this board that do that very thing. One just does it(I think) and the other is an owner/operator of such a business.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Wow
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Wilds wrote:

Check it out.

Very good advice. A very good life experience and a chance to learn.

And to the OP, lots of people posted really good advice. Sure some of us got a bit carried away but that doesn't detract from the legitimate advice in the thread and plus this a message board for Pearl Jam. While I admit, it is a perspective thing I do find some people don't feel they need to work for things in life and that may be how you came across to some others as well. You aren't entitled to your dream job, you have to work for it.

As for dictating what people say as a response? I am sorry that is just ridiculous. You can go ahead and report me for that if you like :D
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

And to the OP, lots of people posted really good advice. Sure some of us got a bit carried away but that doesn't detract from the legitimate advice in the thread and plus this a message board for Pearl Jam. While I admit, it is a perspective thing I do find some people don't feel they need to work for things in life and that may be how you came across to some others as well. You aren't entitled to your dream job, you have to work for it.

As for dictating what people say as a response? I am sorry that is just ridiculous. You can go ahead and report me for that if you like :D
    Good point...you have to put in the time and the effort and work your way up before you can start calling the shots. I've worked in my field for 15 years (and outside of my field for 6 years before that) and I still don't get to call the shots :cry::lol: In the end I think you have to find a job you love or feel really passionate about and then the hours become secondary. I've missed more PJ shows and other stuff than I would ever care to because of my job, but that takes a back seat to my career, my family and my clients. :shock:

And I think wanting to call the shots in terms of how people respond to the thread is another extension of wanting to call the shots in terms of a life and a job. You can try...but eventually you just gotta learn to let go of trying to have that control...cause you're just never gonna have it.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    EDIT: Damn was typing at the same time as the OP. Wish mine had been posted first.... but good advice still the same.[/quote]

As for dictating what people say as a response? I am sorry that is just ridiculous. You can go ahead and report me for that if you like :D[/quote]

small town beck this is where you and i disagree. I dont presume to know you or your struggles and joys. one thing i'd never do however is tell someone, anyone, that they felt they didnt have to work for things in life. Again, im just a sensitve piesces artist. what do i know? I certainly dont think you can deduce that someone doesnt feel like they work for things in life based on a post on a message board.

And i also wholeheartedly disagree with the whole dream job idea you posted. Who are you to say i dont want to work for my dream job? isnt that what im doing? im fighting for a life i want. art is a cosmic destiny thing. This has nothing to do with me sitting around and hoping i get a job as an artist, and has everything to do with what i was born to do, and what will occur. I am an artist. Always have been, it just took years for me to realize it. I will spend the rest of my days as an artist, fighting to express myself and create a work of art that speaks to how i feel about life and my situation.

and i also disagree that i could come off that way. didnt you say i'd been struggling for awhile? a prolonged struggle and crises suggests someone who's willing to put in the long hours and work through stuff and continue on.

i'd suggest you become familiar with common human decency, it would serve you well. And yeah, to suggest people post encouraging advice and not degenerate into harassment and rude comments, thats SUCH a hard thing to do isnt it? I mean really? I'd also make sure you familiarize yourself with the concept that you cant judge others based on internet posts. You offered me advice, and now heres some for you small town beck.
    What kind of art do you do? That might us help narrow down some of the advice we're giving. I have no idea if you're a musician/painter/sculptor/writer/etc

What kind of art do you do? That might us help narrow down some of the advice we're giving. I have no idea if you're a musician/painter/sculptor/writer/etc

im all of those things. but i'd say my two main passions are writing and painting. Ultimately, my goal for art, is just to express myself as i said. Its why i do art. This call, this urge, thats from God, from my soul to create art. I get cranky if i dont do my art during the day, and the hours at work 4am to 1230pm make it so i feel almost drugged out even on my days off. i dont feel normal, so im never in a good headspace.

I want to write novels. I want to create paintings. I want to try my hand at music. I want to direct film, I want to write screenplays. I'd love to try acting even though im deathly afraid of public speaking.

Art is the only thing Ive ever cared about and its what makes the days bearable and brings light despite the cloud of darkness that has followed me for years.

I want to create art that reflects this time period in my life. That accurately paints a picture of the struggles, the pains, the joys, all of it. I want to move people to tears with my paintings. I want people to feel my art changed their lives like my favorite art changed mine. I want people to feel when they have a bad day that my art is what got them through, as others art gets me through each day...

I want to express and bear my entire soul. And as i said, this is more than my dream job. Its my reason for being alive

As for dictating what people say as a response? I am sorry that is just ridiculous. You can go ahead and report me for that if you like :D[/quote]

small town beck this is where you and i disagree. I dont presume to know you or your struggles and joys. one thing i'd never do however is tell someone, anyone, that they felt they didnt have to work for things in life. Again, im just a sensitve piesces artist. what do i know? I certainly dont think you can deduce that someone doesnt feel like they work for things in life based on a post on a message board.

And i also wholeheartedly disagree with the whole dream job idea you posted. Who are you to say i dont want to work for my dream job? isnt that what im doing? im fighting for a life i want. art is a cosmic destiny thing. This has nothing to do with me sitting around and hoping i get a job as an artist, and has everything to do with what i was born to do, and what will occur. I am an artist. Always have been, it just took years for me to realize it. I will spend the rest of my days as an artist, fighting to express myself and create a work of art that speaks to how i feel about life and my situation.

and i also disagree that i could come off that way. didnt you say i'd been struggling for awhile? a prolonged struggle and crises suggests someone who's willing to put in the long hours and work through stuff and continue on.

i'd suggest you become familiar with common human decency, it would serve you well. And yeah, to suggest people post encouraging advice and not degenerate into harassment and rude comments, thats SUCH a hard thing to do isnt it? I mean really? I'd also make sure you familiarize yourself with the concept that you cant judge others based on internet posts. You offered me advice, and now heres some for you small town beck.[/quote]

I think you twisted around much of what I and others on here said but is just my two cents. I am quite familiar with common human decency, thank you.

Best of luck with being an artist and you do seem to have the pretentious attitude already. Condescend much?!

Seriously though I do wish you best of luck in pursuing your dream.

Thanks for the advice ;)

im all of those things. but i'd say my two main passions are writing and painting. Ultimately, my goal for art, is just to express myself as i said. Its why i do art. This call, this urge, thats from God, from my soul to create art. I get cranky if i dont do my art during the day, and the hours at work 4am to 1230pm make it so i feel almost drugged out even on my days off. i dont feel normal, so im never in a good headspace.

I want to write novels. I want to create paintings. I want to try my hand at music. I want to direct film, I want to write screenplays. I'd love to try acting even though im deathly afraid of public speaking.

Art is the only thing Ive ever cared about and its what makes the days bearable and brings light despite the cloud of darkness that has followed me for years.

I want to create art that reflects this time period in my life. That accurately paints a picture of the struggles, the pains, the joys, all of it. I want to move people to tears with my paintings. I want people to feel my art changed their lives like my favorite art changed mine. I want people to feel when they have a bad day that my art is what got them through, as others art gets me through each day...

I want to express and bear my entire soul. And as i said, this is more than my dream job. Its my reason for being alive
    Well it might be hard initially to get a 9-5 job where you could do your art...but maybe you would feel more fulfilled if you're actually doing something you love. Maybe look into a job at a local paper...the hours and pay will be shitty initially...but eventually you might be able to work yourself up to doing features etc. Or try submitting short stories. One of my friends is a writer...but became a lawyer. Definitely not her dream job, but has payed the bills very well while she wrote on the side and she's just finished her first book. Maybe join a local theatre group...or see if you can get an internship at a local tv or radio station. Or you could explore becoming an art therapist. Something that will put you in the right field anyway. You might enjoy your job a lot more and care less about the hours than you do in your current job.

my username alot of times is used on jest by others, as some sort of joke. its not meant to be. its deadly serious. and i can assure you i view not only music but art as my life. Its not a joke. never was. I come home from a horrific day at work and feel inhuman, destroyed. when i turn on a CD, go to a movie, read a book, or do my own art, i am slowly inflated like a ballon and life is okay again. thats my relationship with my own and others art. its life saving. life affirming and ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I wouldnt be here without it. Thats why i view the work hours, not working graveyard, being done at a certain time each day, having evenings off, being able to do my art and not feel like im on drugs, thats why i feel so passionately about it.

When im not going to concerts or doing my art, i get depressed... add onto that post collegiate angst about the economy, and feeling like i am, as a result of working this job, defacing my destiny, well, then you have some of what is my life.

I need both equally. doing my own art. and taking in others art. If one lacks, or if either lack, or if none exist, i spiral into a black hole.
    I worked midnight shifts once and it sucked the life out of me, however some don't have the option and have to work shift work. If you can avoid it, probably best to do so. You should really see a counselor.
    creation of art for arts sake? or is it a means to an end?

I suggest a book of letters " Letters to a young poet" Ranier Maira Rilke. Contains some very good insight and poses some very good questions.

smalltownbeck, you have a perculiar view of condescension. so suggesting, based on the stellar evidence of a few posts on a forum, you deduced i was lazy, didnt want to work for my dream job, that i just wanted it without having to work for it. that isnt condescenion? or calling me pretentious? I dont know you, or judge you, but i didnt notice you including youself in the lazy, and wanting a dream job without having to work for it? did you forget to include your name? arent you by definition being condescending TO ME? Acting holier than thou, snooty, and rude?
This discussion has been closed.