My job-nightshift, depression and a change of pace

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Johnny America = Dr Phil ;)

I was thinking of joining the Police force but I don't think I could cope with attending accident scenes.

Cops don't do shit on accident scenes except for direct traffic. We're the ones that do the tough part.

Still, being a cop is a lot more difficult than being a Fireman.

Over here cops witness gruesome shit, I've heard stories from people that know cops.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    To be honest, I'm tired of hearing people complain about jobs like working in a supermarket causing them "depression."

I come home from work sometimes and sit in my bed in silence, trying to erase images of mangled bodies out of my head from my job.

Social workers see all kinds of abuse and neglect. Nurses and doctors and Firemen and cops see horrific things. So on and so forth, and you have people getting depressed because they can't have better shifts at a grocery store. A dose of reality is what people need.

I mean, I know, I chose my career path. Also, all jobs can be stressful and difficult, but come on. Working nights in a grocery store is the kind of second job I'd go pick up to make an extra bunch of money in the Summer to go away in the Winter. I can't understand how this kid is depressed from this. He needs counseling.

OP, if you think it's bad now, you're going to be in for a fucking shock over the next decade. This is life -- doing shit you don't want to do....and not being able to do shit you really want to do.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    OP stated "If you wish to judge me or make fun of me, please go elsewhere. I will report rude comments to the Mods. Im very serious about this."

Johnny and Ziggy, expect to hear from Kat :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    OP stated "If you wish to judge me or make fun of me, please go elsewhere. I will report rude comments to the Mods. Im very serious about this."

Johnny and Ziggy, expect to hear from Kat :lol:

How is what I wrote "judging or making fun" of him?? I'm just telling him the facts.
    He could see it as judging, just saying. ;)
    He could see it as judging, just saying. ;)

I'm sure he will....he's seems like the sensitive type.
  • Chip McFlenniganChip McFlennigan Posts: 1,162
    Ziggy and I are a united front, always.
    I knew it all along, see?
    Ziggy and I are a united front, always.

How can I resist your pretty face?
    I see a romance beckoning!
    Yesterdays Johnny America is tomorrows Johnny Townsville!
    I see a romance beckoning!
    Yesterdays Johnny America is tomorrows Johnny Townsville!

haha Johnny Townsville....has a nice ring to it! :lol:
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    In the real world, employers don't really care what you want. They (rightfully so), want what's best for their business.

It's gonna be tough finding a job that'll give you everything you're looking for, especially if it's not a "career" job. Working in stores and such isn't generally considered to be a career.

Also, not to sound rude, but, it sounds to me like your work ethic is not so great. First job ever was after college? Most of the people on this board probably worked, or are working, their way through school. It's tough to find sympathy from people who have worked harder than you and don't have the luxuries you claim to have (ie. getting a free ride through school, saving up money while you're working, etc.). I'm not trying to be a dick here, and I'm actually happy for you that you've gotten such great opportunities. It just seems like, judging by your post, you're a bit ungrateful and you don't really understand the plight of an average person.

It also sounds like you are a bit selfish and don't understand that other people have worked in the same place as you for longer, and deserve to get the better shifts. Your inability to take criticism and hear difficult truths will not make this any easier. Report me all you want for this post, as I am not trying to be rude, but trying to help you understand that just because you want something, doesn't mean you can have it. You're an adult, and, this is something you have to learn. Had you worked at a younger age, you might have a clearer understanding of this now.

My hobbies are Jiu Jitsu and boxing, and they're very important to me, but, work comes first for most people. Right now I'm stuck in the middle of a 48-hour shift. I didn't have a say in working the 48 hours, as I was mandatoried. I'd love to be boxing or grappling instead, but, fuck it man, I've got bills to pay and I need my job.

My advice would be, get some counseling. If you think you're depressed, the PJ message board isn't your answer. You need professional help for this. Also, if your art is truly that important to you, I'm going to assume you're good at whatever art you do. Make that your career. Seriously, that might be the only thing that makes you happy.

Finally, at a time when many people are struggling simply to find a job in any field, or keep jobs they've held for 20+ years, you're here complaining that your employers aren't being fair to you. How many people are being laid off in this economy, and you're quitting your job because your employers aren't sensitive enough to your long list of demands. Good luck.

Very well said. Being an adult isn't always about doing things you want, but at the same time is still enjoyable.
  • sandgropersandgroper Posts: 172
    Art related jobs? you know of any? jobs where work ends by concert time?
    what type of art do you do? have you put together a portfolio of your work, both hard and digital copy? Maybe you should look at selling your artwork.

Is going back to study an option for you? Some art related jobs you might want to look at include: graphic designer, web designer, mac operator, finished artist, photographer, photographic retoucher, illustrator, interior design, architecture, art director...

good luck
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Did you start a similar thread a while back? :? It seems familiar, if so it seems you've been struggling with this for a while. Some people take a little longer than others to get to where they are going. Welcome to adulthood :shock: :lol:
    My thoughts exactly.....GROW UP!

Good way to start would be to not threaten tattletailing.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    Did you start a similar thread a while back? :? It seems familiar, if so it seems you've been struggling with this for a while. Some people take a little longer than others to get to where they are going. Welcome to adulthood :shock: :lol:

Well I was trying to use a bit more tact than that but yeah :lol:

As for the "tattling", I think that is why the OP was defensive about his situation. If I am not mistaken there was an old thread where everybody jumped all over him for being too idealistic/Peter Pan-ish. Let's face it nobody dreams of working in a cubicle etc but you do what you have to do. As JA pointed out, if the OP is struggling with depression issues, seek professional help.

Also seek other career options, explore them, see what you want to do. Believe it or not your dream job isn't just going to ring you up and ask you to come work for them...well not for most people anyway :P Sure ideally I'd work Tuesday-Thursday 10-2 and I'd have some hot assistant, and get paid a gazillion dollars to do so. I still haven't ruled out a hot assistant though ;)
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    OP, if you think it's bad now, you're going to be in for a fucking shock over the next decade. This is life -- doing shit you don't want to do....and not being able to do shit you really want to do.
    :clap: Reality 101.
    You've gotta deal with the rain to get the rainbow.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Ain't that the truth. That's the kind of thing they don't teach you in school, and then when you get into the real world, it hits you like a ton of bricks.
    I've been working since I was 15...my parents didn't pay for college, I had to pay for the whole thing myself (almost done with student loan payments...only 6 months to go!). I got a degree in Theatre. Most people laughed at me, saying, "Jeez, what are you going to do with that?" I always knew I wouldn't make money in Theatre, but I got the degree because it's what I love to do most. I've had a lot of jobs - retail (which I despised and won't go back to again unless I'm desperate), catering, factory work, customer service, and most recently office work (which isn't bad...it's not ideal, but it's better than some jobs I've had).
    I guess my point is that work is something we all have to do, whether we like it or not. Most of the people that I know that are middle aged and have degrees haven't been able to find any work except for cleaning toilets. That's life, and in this awful economy it's a harsh reality.
    My suggestion would be to look around for day shifts and see if you can make the switch. It's not going to be easy because all you've done up to this point is retail, but it's not impossible.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    Horos wrote:

Well I was trying to use a bit more tact than that but yeah :lol:

As for the "tattling", I think that is why the OP was defensive about his situation. If I am not mistaken there was an old thread where everybody jumped all over him for being too idealistic/Peter Pan-ish. Let's face it nobody dreams of working in a cubicle etc but you do what you have to do. As JA pointed out, if the OP is struggling with depression issues, seek professional help.

Also seek other career options, explore them, see what you want to do. Believe it or not your dream job isn't just going to ring you up and ask you to come work for them...well not for most people anyway :P Sure ideally I'd work Tuesday-Thursday 10-2 and I'd have some hot assistant, and get paid a gazillion dollars to do so. I still haven't ruled out a hot assistant though ;)

My application's in the mail.

Please have photos attached. A physical may also be required.

Will I have to be naked?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    edited May 2011
    this many pages in with no response. I guess its not strange though. Truth hurts sometimes.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Will I have to be naked?

No. Boxer-briefs are fine.
    :(

Oh.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Everybody is an angel on the Pearl Jam forum.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Everybody is an angel on the Pearl Jam forum.....

I'm the arch angel.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Sure ideally I'd work Tuesday-Thursday 10-2 and I'd have some hot assistant, and get paid a gazillion dollars to do so. I still haven't ruled out a hot assistant though ;)
    Yes I would like this...but would like to add in an hour lunch break where I can relax in the sun, business trips to warm and luxurious places and a tip jar. I always thought I should have a tip jar on my desk. I've suggested it, but it's been frowned upon :? :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Sperm donor.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,976
    Gob wrote:
    Sperm donor.
    oh man. There's a few awesome jokes here. But we were put "on notice". :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    No making light of the OP's situation, you little con artists.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited May 2011
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    Sperm donor.
    oh man. There's a few awesome jokes here. But we were put "on notice". :mrgreen:
    I was being serious. I hear if you qualify they pay you big bucks! Something like up to $500 a session every other day... I would consider it. :D

Why am I flushing this stuff down the toilet when women are willing to pay big bucks for it! :lol:
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Gob wrote:
    Sperm donor.
    One of my students put herself through school by donating her ovaries. Of course she is gorgeous and really bright...so I'm sure her eggs were pretty desirable. And they pay a lot more for them than for sperm. Not sure what the going rate would be for sperm :think:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
This discussion has been closed.