Options

Here's The Latest On Pearl Jam Playing Fenway Park

Comments

• Options
    Lennon_CobainLennon_Cobain Posts: 704
    I thought that Neil Diamond was playing the first night and that James Taylor was playing the second night. This is what I heard over a month ago when the Neil Diamond show was announced. Did this change?
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    They should play Yankee Stadium.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    When will fans get over the fact that PJ won't ever play Fenway Park. First off, they couldn't sell it out unless they got a giant travelling contingent. For those people who keep saying, well they can sell out two consecutive nights at TD or Great Woods, recognize that probably 40% of the audience is the same for the two nights. Secondly, the city won't approve PJ to play, they like either older or tamer artists: Buffet, Stones, Diamond, DMB. And thirdly, those artists can command 3 figure ticket prices, something that I'd never see PJ ever doing. And I love people who give the Theo argument that he loves the band, so Fenway should hold a show. Just because the guy who's job it is to evaluate and field players for a team likes a band, doesn't mean the organization is just going to cowtail to what he likes. There are faw more important people organizationally who have say in that other than the guy who evaluates baseball talent; they are the company president/CEO and of course the owners. Remember, this is a business as much as it's a game.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    When will fans get over the fact that PJ won't ever play Fenway Park. First off, they couldn't sell it out unless they got a giant travelling contingent. For those people who keep saying, well they can sell out two consecutive nights at TD or Great Woods, recognize that probably 40% of the audience is the same for the two nights. Secondly, the city won't approve PJ to play, they like either older or tamer artists: Buffet, Stones, Diamond, DMB. And thirdly, those artists can command 3 figure ticket prices, something that I'd never see PJ ever doing. And I love people who give the Theo argument that he loves the band, so Fenway should hold a show. Just because the guy who's job it is to evaluate and field players for a team likes a band, doesn't mean the organization is just going to cowtail to what he likes. There are faw more important people organizationally who have say in that other than the guy who evaluates baseball talent; they are the company president/CEO and of course the owners. Remember, this is a business as much as it's a game.

Amen. Thank you for saying this. I don't think people will ever stop talking about this unfortunately.
  • Options
    QballQball Posts: 283
    When will fans get over the fact that PJ won't ever play Fenway Park. First off, they couldn't sell it out unless they got a giant travelling contingent.
    PJ would sell out Fenway in a heartbeat. Fenway is one of those venues where if you love pj and baseball you can kill two birds with one stone. The history of the park would draw people alone. I would go for the same reason I go to MSG. 1.It's in a great city 2. The venue is historical and has a great feel to it. 3.The band loves the city and always plays a great show.
  • Options
    zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    I can't see PJ playing a baseball stadium. Too damn big.
    fenways really small
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    reillsreills Posts: 13
    Think about the location. Philadelphia, New York, and Boston are the three cities with the most PJ fans and these fans will all be there.... The ticket would be hard to get if it happened. Fenway holds at most 39,000 people. PJ easily sells out venues that hold ROUGHLY 25,000 in Philadelphia alone.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,511

Brain - I'm going to disagree with most of your points. Fenway holds about 35,000 fans for a baseball game. Sure, they'll add some seats on the field for concerts, but once the logistics of the stage is configured and the entire production is completely setup, they'll probably block off certain sections (including bleachers). Thus they can set it up for a 30,000 seat capacity if they'd like. I think there's a misconception that Fenway can hold 60,000 fans, which they can't. I posted in this thread earlier that, yes they'd need a heckuva opening act to push tickets because Pearl Jam won't sell it out by themselves. But they'll draw a healthy house and if they throw in a respectable opening act or two then no doubt they can draw a monster gate. It would have to be a special show to justify raising ticket prices, but it's not impossible. And I don't agree with the notion that the city won't allow PJ to play Fenway. I don't think the perception of PJ by bigwigs who have power as this hardcore rock band really exists anymore. It's not 1995. As for Theo, while he doesn't have much individual power in the grand scheme of things with these type of activities at Fenway, keep in mind that he is an executive who has an "in" with the other bigwigs there and has a voice that is respected within that organization. Agreed, a lot of things would have to come together for this to work and I'd be skeptical if this was over 2 nights, but for one night only at Fenway with the correct lineup and good promotion, I have no doubt that they can draw a monster gate and close to a sellout, if not a complete sellout. And that my friend is what good business is all about.
  • Options
    I thought that Neil Diamond was playing the first night and that James Taylor was playing the second night. This is what I heard over a month ago when the Neil Diamond show was announced. Did this change?

James Taylor bailed.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    christ,
    they have a "hot stove/ cool music" concert for charity there every year...

they could arrange a PJ concert in a heartbeat!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    MattyJoe wrote:

Sure, if they want to play in a dump that hasn't been a classic stadium since it was redone in the early 70s.

PLAY FENWAY YOU PUSSIES!!!
  • Options
    Sure, if they want to play in a dump that hasn't been a classic stadium since it was redone in the early 70s.

The funny thing is with people pushing for Aerosmith in the local Herald, I can see a double bill of Pearl Jam opening up for Aerosmith and that would no doubt sell out Fenway and you wouldn't need to block off anything. You figure each band has 15 to 20 thousand unique fans in the area (meaning one might like one band and not the other). Of course I'd rather see PJ main event but if Aerosmith are the hometown heroes, I think it'd be PJ opening with Aerosmith last. Kinda similar to when 2 big acts like Metallica opened for Guns/Roses in Foxboro many years ago, except GnR weren't local (actually Faith No More opened for everyone). PJ goes on at 7pm and then Aero goes on at 9:15. And if they want to have the Dropkicks open at 5pm to get fans in their seats, fine with me. But that's a heckuva lineup indeed.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Brain - I'm going to disagree with most of your points. Fenway holds about 35,000 fans for a baseball game. Sure, they'll add some seats on the field for concerts, but once the logistics of the stage is configured and the entire production is completely setup, they'll probably block off certain sections (including bleachers). Thus they can set it up for a 30,000 seat capacity if they'd like. I think there's a misconception that Fenway can hold 60,000 fans, which they can't. I posted in this thread earlier that, yes they'd need a heckuva opening act to push tickets because Pearl Jam won't sell it out by themselves. But they'll draw a healthy house and if they throw in a respectable opening act or two then no doubt they can draw a monster gate. It would have to be a special show to justify raising ticket prices, but it's not impossible. And I don't agree with the notion that the city won't allow PJ to play Fenway. I don't think the perception of PJ by bigwigs who have power as this hardcore rock band really exists anymore. It's not 1995. As for Theo, while he doesn't have much individual power in the grand scheme of things with these type of activities at Fenway, keep in mind that he is an executive who has an "in" with the other bigwigs there and has a voice that is respected within that organization. Agreed, a lot of things would have to come together for this to work and I'd be skeptical if this was over 2 nights, but for one night only at Fenway with the correct lineup and good promotion, I have no doubt that they can draw a monster gate and close to a sellout, if not a complete sellout. And that my friend is what good business is all about.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! YOU JUST SLAPPED HIM IN THE FACE! IN THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000

It's not a dump. It's actually really nice.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! YOU JUST SLAPPED HIM IN THE FACE! IN THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!

http://freespace.virgin.net/lovely.perfume/Slap.jpg
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946

Hello, the Park will never hold more than 40,000. Right now it is between 38-39,000. It is is in great location and they could certainly fill it. But with two shows in Boston already I find it hard to believe (unfortunatly) that it is going to happen this year. I really like the Dropkick, PJ, Aero combo. That would be one great show!!!
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    kh65 wrote:
    Hello, the Park will never hold more than 40,000. Right now it is between 38-39,000. It is is in great location and they could certainly fill it. But with two shows in Boston already I find it hard to believe (unfortunatly) that it is going to happen this year. I really like the Dropkick, PJ, Aero combo. That would be one great show!!!

It'll be tough, agreed especially if they add to the tour. I think the only saving grace is if the "tour" really ends with the 6/30 Monday Tweeter show and they take the rest of the summer off and decide to do the one show as a special attraction. They do like Boston and Ed is a baseball guy and not to hype here but I do buy into the theory that PJ would go the extra mile to play Fenway if it provided an opportunity to do so. Again, lots of things would need to come together but I won't say it's impossible.
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206

Dave Matthews Band? You have got to be kidding me! I can still pull up Pavillion seats for the opening night of the tour, on a FRIDAY night! Tickets are only $53.50

Compare that to the $91.05 or whatever I paid for MSG tickets that sold out instantly for a weeknight show. I know it's not apples-apples, but it proves my point.
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    KH65 - "I really like the Dropkick, PJ, Aero combo. That would be one great show!!!"

They can charge top dollar for that lineup and it'd sellout. It'd be awesome.
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    Man, the only reason I could possibly go to the "red sucks" stadium is to see PJ... and I totally would go
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    MattyJoe wrote:
    they should play all stadiums, more like half full ones.i thought bon jovi or the police playing fenway this year and fenway is only allowed one act per year
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    they should play all stadiums, more like half full ones.i thought bon jovi or the police playing fenway this year and fenway is only allowed one act per year

Bon Jovi bailed. They have 2 nights booked this year, with the 2nd night free. Here's the article:

http://news.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1092031
  • Options
    canes98canes98 Posts: 14

They played a baseball stadium where the Orioles play in October 1996. Granted, it was the Orioles' spring training stadium, in Fort Lauderdale, but hey, I've seen Pearl Jam play a baseball stadium before.
    Chicago 07/11/95; Fort Lauderdale 10/07/96; Chicago 06/29/98; St. Louis 07/02/98; Katowice 06/15/00; West Palm Beach 04/11/03; Tampa 04/13/03; West Palm Beach 06/11/08; Tampa 06/12/08
  • Options
    thossythossy Posts: 59
    I'm not sure they'd play there but some info nonetheless

from the red sox website

The current capacity of Fenway Park is 36,108 for night games and 35,692 for day games.

I've gone to Springsteen, Stones and the Police there and they didn't sell any of the bleacher seats, nor the green monster seats. Whatever the put on the floor will be less than that, so I'm guessin you are looking at 30K max.

I think for one show it would be doable but I agree with those that say the city may not allow it (although if it's the late night they are worried about, start the show at 6) and their cost control of tickets for the fans may also hurt them. The only reason the Sox have done these things is the $$$ they make, so not sure how excited they would be about $70ish seats.

but you never know
    98 MSG I
    04 Boston I
    06 Hartford, Boston I+II
    08 Hartford, Mansfield I+II
    08 EV Solo Boston I+II
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    While Aerosmith would rock... (They would fill Fenway on their own...)

I think a Dropkick Murphys / Pearl Jam show there would sell out rather rapidly... And it'd be alot cheaper... Aerosmith has a tendancy to be on the pricey side....
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    Ute LewUte Lew West Point, UT Posts: 127
    simpleman wrote:
    Fenway Park is not a baseball stadium.....

It's a place of worship.

Red Sox Nation would gladly fill that park for PJ!!!

Could not have said it better! Fenway is a holy place. Mix in PJ and amazing things could happen.
    • SLC   11/1/95 
    • SLC   11/2/95
    • PC   06/21/98 
    • LV    07/11/98
    • LV    10/22/00
    • MV   10/20/01
    • MV   10/21/01
    • MV   06/01/03
    • IR     06/02/03
    • IR     06/03/03
    • SD   06/05/03
    • LV    06/06/03
    • DN   07/02/06
    • DN   07/03/06
    • LV    07/06/06
    • SD   07/07/06
    • LA    07/09/06
    • LA    07/10/06
    • SLC  09/28/09
    • LA    10/07/09
    • SD    10/09/09
    • BOS 08/07/16
    • MON 08/13/18
    • PHX  05/09/22
    • LV     05/20/22 (Canceled: Fuck you Covid)
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    simpleman wrote:
    Fenway Park is not a baseball stadium.....

It's a place of worship.

Red Sox Nation would gladly fill that park for PJ!!!

HELL YEAH THEY WOULD! I'd even make the trip up from D.C. to see that! That would be AMAZING!
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    canes98 wrote:
    They played a baseball stadium where the Orioles play in October 1996. Granted, it was the Orioles' spring training stadium, in Fort Lauderdale, but hey, I've seen Pearl Jam play a baseball stadium before.

I have, too. ;)

That was an amazing night!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Boston21Boston21 Posts: 26
    Even if they weren't already playing in Boston, I don't see how they could certainly fill it for two nights. The Garden seats 20,000 tops and neither of those shows were sold out for the last tour and last week my friends were able to pull seats for both Tweeter center shows on ticketmaster. If they play Fenway they would need to sell out two shows of 35,000 to 38,000 each night. I agree that with a good opening act it's possible..but I don't think it would be easy. I would love to see it happen though.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    If Pearl Jam decided to play Fenway (or if Fenway's honchos decided to invite Pearl Jam), I think there would be a great chance for them to play to sold-out crowd(s).

The gig can't come on the heels of, say, an East Coast summer tour. They'd need to schedule it as the only New England/Northeast date or some type of charity or local benefit concert.

Saturation of PJ concerts in the area would hurt attendance, even if it was at Fenway Park.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020