The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    why would team usa fans have a hard time rooting agaist the heat? so what if two players are coming from the heat
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    81 wrote:
    why would team usa fans have a hard time rooting agaist the heat? so what if two players are coming from the heat
    two and a half against team not-usa.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    RW81233 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    two and a half against team not-usa.
    love it or leave it is what i say. hahahahahaha
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    OKC went on a tear tonight.

they have a solid squad....people thinking it would be a sweep were silly
    They do. I don't know why people were thinking a sweep would happen. OKC is not a pushover team.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Newch91 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

They do. I don't know why people were thinking a sweep would happen. OKC is not a pushover team.

Definitely silly to think OKC would get swept. They're a monster team when they have that home court advantage. That crowd is the best example of a crowd being the sixth man.

Spurs will bounce back, we all know this to be true.

Hypothetically though, how unreal would that be in San Antonio had kept going undefeated and actually went 16-0 in the post-season.

I played pick-up ball with a bunch of guys tonight and we were talking about just that and began wondering if its ever been done before. Doesn't matter what the format is, but has any team ever swept the entire postseason? I can't think of one...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    RW81233 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

what else were we supposed to think the Spurs hadn't lost in like a month+. either way these teams are sexier than the east.

The entire Western Conference is sexier than the East. :mrgreen:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    right about now - i'd wish okc were in the eastern conference .. .
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Doesn't matter what the format is, but has any team ever swept the entire postseason? I can't think of one...

Closest was in 01. Lakers were 15-1

05 White Sox and 99 Yankees went 11-1
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I played pick-up ball with a bunch of guys tonight and we were talking about just that and began wondering if its ever been done before. Doesn't matter what the format is, but has any team ever swept the entire postseason? I can't think of one...

every year in the nfl :lol:

i think the best in the nba is two losses.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    since mLB expanded the playoffs in 95, two teams have gone 11-1 to win the title. Sox in 05 an Yankee's in 99
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited June 2012
    best in the nba was 15-1 by the 01 lakers. 83 sixers went 12-1.

89 pistons, 91 bulls and 99 spurs all went 15-2

i forget what the best is in the current format of 7 games series for all rounds.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    in the NHL, i'm seeing 16-2 as the best record with four 7 game series by the 87-88 oilers

last time a team went undefeated appears to be 59-60 canadians at 8-0
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,776
    Last nights result was very predictable

Cha Ching for me $$. ;)

Spurs needed to lose a game, not saying they lost on purpose.... But they knew they were steeping into a buzz saw

Spurs in 6
    'Lil Wayne is a 'Lil wrong when he says he was denied entry into tonight's playoff game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the San Antonio Spurs -- fact is, he just didn't have a ticket.

The rapper just tweeted, "Going to go to the Thunder game tonight but was denied by the team to be in their arena. Wow."

But a rep for the OKC Thunder tells TMZ ... "We did not deny him," adding, "His representatives contacted us about court side tickets and we told them we are completely sold out."

The rep says the team has no beef with the 'Lil one.

:lol::lol::lol:

go buy a ticket like the rest of us. :nono:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,776
    81 wrote:
    very rarely does a sweep happen in a confrence finals

lot of poeple have the spurs in the finals, and while they are a very good team, i still wouldn't count out OKC.

heck, take a look at least years playoffs to see what can happen to the spurs. they are very beatable.

Last year?? Are u kidding? Look at the rosters.... No Kawhi, captain Jax, Diaw, etc. plus health changes year to year

You can't say a teams beatable because last years results.... Than why not look at '07 or any other successful year they had to argue they'll win it based on that??

OKC is good, but let's not over react with one game

A series hasn't really started until a team wins on the other teams floor
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    very rarely does a sweep happen in a confrence finals

lot of poeple have the spurs in the finals, and while they are a very good team, i still wouldn't count out OKC.

heck, take a look at least years playoffs to see what can happen to the spurs. they are very beatable.

Last year?? Are u kidding? Look at the rosters.... No Kawhi, captain Jax, Diaw, etc. plus health changes year to year

You can't say a teams beatable because last years results.... Than why not look at '07 or any other successful year they had to argue they'll win it based on that??

OKC is good, but let's not over react with one game

A series hasn't really started until a team wins on the other teams floor

point was, spurs were the number one seed last year in the west. had a great regular season and bowed out in the first year. yeah, some players have changed, but duncan and parker were on both teams. they are clearly the backbone of the team.

this series can go either way and i would not be suprised by a OKC victory
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Well, it sounded like a good idea at the time. A fabulous idea, in fact. A stunning, bold, unique and risky idea.

It was an idea so impossibly enormous that Dwight Howard might have bought into it and stayed in Orlando until his hair turned gray.

For the past few days, Phil Jackson was interested in the possibility of joining the Magic's front office.

Then, late Thursday afternoon, Jackson bowed out.

Magic CEO Alex Martins was formally presented on Wednesday with a scenario involving Jackson by Sam Vincent, who played for the Magic and Jackson.

"It drew some interest from Phil," Vincent said. "But in the end, Phil decided to go with another opportunity."

Jackson is apparently headed back to the NBA in some capacity, but he pulled out here before Martins had a chance to run it by owner Rich DeVos. Martins learned of Jackson's exit Thursday, but would not comment.

"Not because of this specific situation, but because I have been consistent during the search that I won't comment on specific candidates," Martins said in an e-mail. "I stand by my statement that we will put a premium on searching for Championship experience in the positions within in our search."

Vincent said Jackson gave him the impression that he doesn't want to coach anymore. But the Magic scenario would have involved Jackson as either the team president/ general manager or in a consulting role — sort of like Pat Riley looking down from his office at Erik Spoelstra in Miami.

Vincent said that Jackson, 66, was intrigued enough by the idea that Vincent and another intermediary were preparing to fly to Jackson's home in Montana to speak with him. And, if the talks went well, they would next approach Howard.

That intermediary with Vincent was a former all-star player and Hall of Famer who, in Vincent's plan, was to be the next coach of the Magic. Jackson would help mentor him.

The former player has never coached before, but surrounded by Jackson and a coaching staff including Vincent — former Charlotte Bobcats coach — and a couple of Jackson's former Los Angeles Lakers assistant coaches — Frank Hamblen and Jim Cleamons — the hope was that he could learn on the fly.

I'd love to divulge the name of the former all-star player and would-be coach, but he's currently an employee of another NBA team.

Sounds like a gamble, but if Vincent's plan had come together and Howard was on board to play for a rookie coach, how could the Magic have said no? As long as Howard signs a long-term contract extension, the Magic might agree to let Chris Rock be head coach.

Besides, how could Howard have turned down Jackson?

Could you have imagined the Zen Master, the Hall of Fame coach with an unprecedented 11 rings, lending his Zen to the Magic?

If Howard wanted championship credibility in the organization, he couldn't have asked for a more credible character than Jackson.

With the possibility of Jackson and Howard on board, the hope was that their star power could attract free agents such as Steve Nash and Lamar Odom.

Vincent played for the Magic from 1989-92, one of the expansion franchise's originals. He still lives in Orlando and says a piece of his heart still belongs to the Magic. It's why he brought the Jackson proposal to Martins.

"In my capacity, I was trying to put together something that would be in the best interest of the Magic," Vincent said.

Vincent was excited early Thursday afternoon before learning that Jackson had passed on the opportunity to come to Orlando. Vincent still intends to present a variation of his plan to the Magic. It's a unique concept, picking men from the Jackson coaching/playing tree and presenting the staff for hire.

Vincent has some head coaching candidates for the Magic, including Scottie Pippen. "We lose a strong component in Phil, but it still has a lot of strength," Vincent said. "I wanted to have Phil in the group."

For a few days, the Magic's fantasy of Phil had taken flight. Ah, what could have Zen.

99.5% positive the un named hof rookie coach would have been pippen. i would have loved to seen this set up. stilll could happen.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    damn :(
    Former Notre Dame and Chicago Bulls star Orlando Woolridge has died at age 52, officials in Louisiana told the Shreveport Times.

Desoto Parish Chief Deputy Coroner Billy Locke told the newspaper that Woolridge had been under hospice care for a chronic heart condition at his parents' home in Mansfield, La.

Woolridge was part of Notre Dame's Final Four team in 1978 as a freshman. As a senior, he hit a last-second jumper to end Ralph Sampson and No. 1 Virginia's 28-game winning streak.

Woolridge had a 13-year NBA career after being taken with the sixth overall pick by the Bulls in 1981. He played five seasons in Chicago, averaging 22.9 points per game in 1984-85, Michael Jordan's first in the league.

He signed with the New Jersey Nets as a free agent after the 1985-86 season and was suspended in 1987 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He went on to play for the Lakers, Nuggets, Pistons, Bucks and Sixers and finished with career averages of 16 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.

After playing overseas, Woolridge was a coach for the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks and recently coached Arizona in the ABA.

Woolridge was arrested in February for stealing aluminum tubing at a drill site in Desoto Parish. The material was sold for scrap
    i can't decide what is more obnoxious....the atm or the outfit he's wearing

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... l/19226138
    norm wrote:

atm is sort of cool....the outfit, not so much
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    'Lil Wayne is a 'Lil wrong when he says he was denied entry into tonight's playoff game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the San Antonio Spurs -- fact is, he just didn't have a ticket.

The rapper just tweeted, "Going to go to the Thunder game tonight but was denied by the team to be in their arena. Wow."

But a rep for the OKC Thunder tells TMZ ... "We did not deny him," adding, "His representatives contacted us about court side tickets and we told them we are completely sold out."

What a douche bag.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Looks like we got homer refs for game 3 tonight. The fix is on our side it seems for once.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    edited June 2012
    Newch91 wrote:
    81 wrote:

What a douche bag.

Yeah, I just read this too. Apparently afterwards he said "Go Spurs!"

What a jackass. You're a shitty rapper, that doesn't entitle you to anything except for the opportunity to make bad music (my opinion, of course). Why do you expect to be given shit? Pay the price of a ticket like all of us and move on.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Looks like we got homer refs for game 3 tonight. The fix is on our side it seems for once.

David "Satan" Stern wants a game 7 to make his wallet even fatter.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    norm wrote:

What a nice friend; charges you $4.50 to get your money out. He's got a bankers instinct.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Yeah, I just read this too. Apparently afterwards he said "Go Spurs!"

What a jackass. You're a shitty rapper, that doesn't entitle you to anything except for the opportunity to make bad music (my opinion, of course). Why do you expect to be given shit? Pay the price of a ticket like all of us and move on.
    No, he's awful.

There's a perfect "Curb Your Enthusiasm" moment that OKC's front office could have done: give Lil' Wayne nosebleed seats, like the NBC exec did to Larry, where Larry thought he was going to have court side seats.
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580

I would be shocked if they weren't. No way Stern wants the Celtics to go down 0-3 :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:

What a nice friend; charges you $4.50 to get your money out. He's got a bankers instinct.
    No worse than going to a bank not in your network. I'd guess the players have accounts that reimburse fee's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/01/t ... aghy-mask/
    norm wrote:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/06/01/t ... aghy-mask/

I hope the crowd is completely swarmed with these.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL