Deactivated my facebook account last night

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    What really disturbs me, is if I put in my username and password now--after two years--in three seconds, everything would be returned.

this is for you and anyone else who isn't aware of the difference between "deactivation" and deletion of your account (which is a lot of people, because facebook isn't transparent with this).

DEACTIVATING YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT DOES NOT DELETE YOUR INFORMATION. YOU MUST ACTUALLY DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU WANT ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION REMOVED PERMANENTLY, AND THAT IS A SEPARATE PROCESS.

this blog post is a couple years old, but i don't think the process has changed. if it has, you may have to look around a bit more: http://www.webomatica.com/wordpress/200 ... nd-delete/
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    AndySlash wrote:
    What really disturbs me, is if I put in my username and password now--after two years--in three seconds, everything would be returned.

this is for you and anyone else who isn't aware of the difference between "deactivation" and deletion of your account (which is a lot of people, because facebook isn't transparent with this).

DEACTIVATING YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT DOES NOT DELETE YOUR INFORMATION. YOU MUST ACTUALLY DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT IF YOU WANT ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION REMOVED PERMANENTLY, AND THAT IS A SEPARATE PROCESS.

this blog post is a couple years old, but i don't think the process has changed. if it has, you may have to look around a bit more: http://www.webomatica.com/wordpress/200 ... nd-delete/
    very interesting.
  • sawyerjamsawyerjam Posts: 140
    edited April 2011
    Social networking is social networking. Even if it's done on a bands website :lol: . How can you hate on Facebook but post here daily? That said, I never had or wanted a Facebook account.
  • AndySlash wrote:

This just blew my mind. I just now deleted it. And even then, it said I have 14 days to change my mind before it is deleted permanently. :roll:

It made me sick to go back, even for a few seconds.

They really try to scare you into staying.

Thanks so much for the information.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    i don't really understand the hating towards facebook... it is what you want it to be, no?

you can customize it to your liking (i don't even know if the mafia wars thing is still a big deal bc i blocked it over a year ago)... or you can just be friends with "close" friends... or you can just not be on facebook... bottom line is that it's a social network, as is this message board, and you do what you want with it and hopefully exercise some self control.

and the privacy stuff? please, it takes an email address to sign up. and again, you can customize your privacy settings.

and i think someone said that people spend way too much time on facebook... what do you say about people who have several thousands of posts on here? 10,000 message board posts over 5 years is more than 5 posts every single day, 365 days per year. i don't have a problem with that... i'm just trying to draw a comparison.

facebook isn't bad. people who treat facebook like a daily anger/depression diary are a bummer.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    it keeps me up to date on my favorite music, bands, restaurant deals and all of my friends back home 1200 miles away. also i live by campus so it helps with the girls although every age is using it now.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2011
    Guys, facebook can be annoying, but it IS NOT the downfall of society. It is responsible for the the organization of pro-democracy uprisings in the middle east. It is an information tool and it is what you get out of it.

Facebook is a good thing. Just delete or hide your annoying friends, or don't spend so much god damn time on it yourselves!

It's really just a glorified version of this message board. It's social networking, same as this board. Sorry if you have annoying friends. :lol:
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    That argument has been made against email, the Internet, instant messaging, message boards....pretty much any digital technology.

I love the irony of this being discussed on a message board, from which some of the features on Facebook can be found.

Exactly.....this is why I struggle with technology and its impact on society nowadays in general.......the trend of Iphones, Ipads, blackberries, smart phones, apps, etc seems to be more heavily consuming than anything Ive ever seen before.

It's not the Facebook platform that I have a problem with in itself; that would be ridiculous. I just don't like the way people consume it.

But it does annoy when me I see ads on TV now saying please come like us on Facebook.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    That argument has been made against email, the Internet, instant messaging, message boards....pretty much any digital technology.

I love the irony of this being discussed on a message board, from which some of the features on Facebook can be found.

yep! this is what cracks me up anytime i hear people blathering on and on about facebook/twitter :lol::lol:
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    norm wrote:

yep! this is what cracks me up anytime i hear people blathering on and on about facebook/twitter :lol::lol:
    thumbs_up_you_like_this_bumper_sticker-p128096592726024722trl0_400.jpg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I am one of those people that does NOT have a facebook account. Don't know if I would go as far as to say it is the "downfall of society"......

My son was visiting from college last week (he's 20) and has never had an acct. (did have myspace) and it was a lot easier for him to get over a break up with his 1st serious girlfriend last year WITHOUT having that acct. Better to have a clean break than to keep having information in your face all the time I would think.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Can we make this thread the official support group or something? You fb haters really seem to need one.

Every other week, someone makes a thread nearly identical to this one, and a bunch of people post in agreement, congratulating the OP on their outstanding moral fibre, and their ability to rise above the ignorant masses and make the ‘right’ decision; to walk away from that evil, evil website...

interesting that the people who decide to delete their accounts because of it’s contribution to the downfall of society or whatever, are usually the ones who are taking the site way too seriously…which is a major contributor to the negative social impacts of it.
    Another thing I find interesting about it, is that people seem to really feel a need to justify their decision to delete their account/not join, and to find others with empathetic views. If I made a thread about deleting my amazon account, or my hotmail….would anyone care?
  • never been on facebook and glad.

I reserve my internet interactions to this forum alone. All other interaction is with actual humans :D
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

Good point, I agree - A bit of irony.
    I have a FB, but I use it mostly for my band. Its been easy to ignore people I dont want anything to do with, and easier to stay in touch with a select few. I like it becaus eI hate talking on the phone.
    However, I have been able to use FB to invite a shitload of friends out on a saturday to hang out and bbq, many of whom I might otherwise have forgotten.

I think its good for some things, but you just cant let it control you. Then again my G/f's best friend is one of those people who is addicted -- updating from her phone all the time. It hasnt been her 'downfall' at all! ..yet! :lol:

I also use it to see tons of events going on around my town. I friended the independant movie theater, the local music venues that play original music, events/concert halls. I know where every local band is playing and what goes on at every venue. Before I figured this out, I would rely on going to thier individual websites, flyers, etc...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    im new to the world..only 5 months

its getting boring already
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • OctopuS27OctopuS27 Posts: 569
    http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... ter-weekly
    it's this and it seems everything is turning in to it, social network turning into commercial outlet
    i believe its something like a phenomena ever growing, unstopable. just like cell phones
    nowadays people that don't have it are considered wierd :?
    i hate when friends or lovers avoid being with you then use this tools to comunicate, its lack of etic
    lets all be toghether, yes. But lets live too
    my two cents
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    I haven't and i'm not about to begin ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Are there Mods on Facebook?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I didn't know Facebook was so horrible. Sure there are fucksticks that try to friend you on there, but couldn't give a crap in real life. Ignore those douche stains and use it how you wanna use it.

I think FB and the internet in general are/can be totally awesome. You don't get the in person contact, but I've had debates and shared my thoughts with people on the other side of the world on a day to day basis. That wouldn't be anywhere near the realm of possibility where I'm at otherwise.

I totally get what you guys are saying about the negative stuff, I just don't let it affect me to the point of needing to make a public announcement.

Realistically, alot of us could probably spend less time here and do somethin else with the time we waste.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I couldn't stand being on there any longer either! I left ages ago. One day I got a 'friend request' from a complete wanker I went out with a long time ago and that pushed me to do it. I like at least some of life private from people. Even if he wasn't my friend and couldn't see my profile, he knows people who I know and they can see my profile. I hate it, will never go back!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,978
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I think this needs to be an organized movement.

Down with Facebook

I use it for my radio show, but have been considering deactivating my personal one again.

I get sucked into it and waste so much time. :(
    Not anything like here!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I quite like it.

But if you don't like it, don't have an account.
  • I like FB.

One thing though that I cannot stand are the people who announce via their status: I'm about to cut my friends list down, hope you make the cut.

It is nothing more than fishing for people to say please oh please don't delete me, our phony friendship on this social networking site is valuable to me.

I decided today that everytime someone posts that status, I will comment "Beat you to it" and delete them.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I like FB.

One thing though that I cannot stand are the people who announce via their status: I'm about to cut my friends list down, hope you make the cut.

It is nothing more than fishing for people to say please oh please don't delete me, our phony friendship on this social networking site is valuable to me.

I decided today that everytime someone posts that status, I will comment "Beat you to it" and delete them.

:lol: awesome.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    For everyone complaining about facebook, why are you here?

Facebook is essentially a glorified message board, with pictures.

I come here for the same reason I visit facebook. This place is essentially the same thing, only with complete strangers. :lol:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I deactiavated my fb a few weeks ago...as stupid/boring as it is, facebook took over my life! i would login in 10+ times a day. it's a good feeling not to be a slave to it anymore.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    i'm friends with my enemies so I know where to avoid them. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't hate the idea of facebook. Occasionally I think of having one, but the difference between a message board and facebook is that facebook is less anonymous, for one thing, and second thing is I can't be bothered. I'm not that social so it just doesn't appeal - I don't really care what other people are doing as long as they're not hurting any living thing and not bugging me. Most message boards usually have some common theme such as a band, a common interest, baseball, whatever. I just can't be bothered and also don't want to risk offending anyone I know in real life by not responding to some inane thing, or by saying the wrong thing.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I use it to keep in touch with people and keep up with what is going on in their lives.

I have my page locked down pretty tightly. I've made lists of trusted friends that can see and post, but most of my other "friends" on facebook can't really even see or do that much on my profile/wall.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I didn't know Facebook was so horrible. Sure there are fucksticks that try to friend you on there, but couldn't give a crap in real life. Ignore those douche stains and use it how you wanna use it.

I think FB and the internet in general are/can be totally awesome. You don't get the in person contact, but I've had debates and shared my thoughts with people on the other side of the world on a day to day basis. That wouldn't be anywhere near the realm of possibility where I'm at otherwise.

I totally get what you guys are saying about the negative stuff, I just don't let it affect me to the point of needing to make a public announcement.

Realistically, alot of us could probably spend less time here and do somethin else with the time we waste.
    This.
    It's funny to read this topic today, because I have created my account months ago, but I started to use today.
    The main reason is my freelance work, and I'd like to meet people from other countries and share the same interests as I do. Well, sure that I prefer to meet personally, but if it's not possible at the moment, FB, MSN and forums are the best choice to talk with people that you like and have a lot in common.