Deactivated my facebook account last night

UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Done with that......think I created it back in early 2005? It was a good ride for the first year or two, but now its just out of hand. I don't want to support things like this. I'd rather be human.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Well done UpSideDown! Facebook is an awful awful thing. You made the right decision. This is not how society is supposed to be. I agree 1000%.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Did the same thing about 2 months ago! I joined mid 2007, whats the point its just garbage
    2006 - Melb RLA night 1
    2009 - Sydney Brisbane Melbourne
    2011 - EV Sydney 1, 2, 3 & Canberra
    2014 - EV Sydney 1, 2, 3
    2020 - Hamilton, Baltimore, New York
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    they asked for my phone number the other night to protect my security. :lol:

yeah right.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Facebook is a pimple on the ass of humanity. I have grown to despise it and have not visited my page at all in at least 6 months....i still get friend request emails....i think i'm up to like 190 requests I have not answered...that's 10 short of 200....i can't even think of 10 people I would actually consider "friends"
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Good choice! Facebook IMO is a major part of the downfall of society. I have never had an account and don't plan on having one in the future.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    What I found really interesting is how many levels of checks I had to go through to actually deactivate this thing.......it felt like I was quitting a job or something.

And then showing pictures of my friends and saying they will miss me.....

Very weird.
    UpSideDown wrote:
    What I found really interesting is how many levels of checks I had to go through to actually deactivate this thing.......it felt like I was quitting a job or something.

And then showing pictures of my friends and saying they will miss me.....

Very weird.

every lost active member is lost revenue.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i'm glad you guys are posting about this. i've never had a facebook account EVER and my friends think i'm crazy. let alone the fact that i don't need to know what everyone is doing. it blows my mind that people you didn't talk to for 10 years and didn't have an issue with it are now people that you feel the need to check in on everyday. anyone that needs to know what i'm doing is doing it with me.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • SM211812 wrote:
    i'm glad you guys are posting about this. i've never had a facebook account EVER and my friends think i'm crazy. let alone the fact that i don't need to know what everyone is doing. it blows my mind that people you didn't talk to for 10 years and didn't have an issue with it are now people that you feel the need to check in on everyday. anyone that needs to know what i'm doing is doing it with me.
    Exactly. I got a page strictly to be able to keep up with my oldest friend and my god child and realized what a ridiculous bunch of shit it is. I don't get the fascination with friending people you never liked in the first place. I got countless requests from people in the community I am only vaguely aware of and they me as well. I don't get it. Get the fuck out of my business.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • jjc2007jjc2007 Posts: 4
    Never had one either. Good for us!
  • I think this needs to be an organized movement.

Down with Facebook

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I think this needs to be an organized movement.

Down with Facebook

I use it for my radio show, but have been considering deactivating my personal one again.

I get sucked into it and waste so much time. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm thinking of closing my account too. They actually posted my address and phone number on there... :roll: WTF!!! Plus I'm sick of people sending me hugs, hearts, and poking me... :lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It is what it is. It can be used without the nonsense that goes on with some of the people that are on it.

Rule 1. If you get a friend request from someone you don't want to know REJECT it.
    Rule 2. If someone pisses you off with something REMOVE them.
    Rule 3. Don't put really personal stuff on there.

And I'm not sure how it's a major part of the downfall of society when you've never had a Facebook account. That's a bit like saying you don't like cabbage but have never tried it.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    And I'm not sure how it's a major part of the downfall of society when you've never had a Facebook account. That's a bit like saying you don't like cabbage but have never tried it.

you can see it in people around you. people that need to check it 100 times a day. or people that have their phones surgically implanted in to their ass. when i can sit in a room with two people, and both of them are on their phones while i sit there and could actually talk to them. . . . .yea i feel like it's cutting down people's ability to talk with each other. coincidentally i love cabbage

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

• SM211812 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

you can see it in people around you. people that need to check it 100 times a day. or people that have their phones surgically implanted in to their ass. when i can sit in a room with two people, and both of them are on their phones while i sit there and could actually talk to them. . . . .yea i feel like it's cutting down people's ability to talk with each other. coincidentally i love cabbage
    This. Exactly.

I too love cabbage.

• brosiobrosio Posts: 60
    Is that really Facebook's fault or more of an indictment on your friends?

Just Saying
    SM211812 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

love my phone....but i'm not a facebook junky....just a pj forum junkie. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CD97228 wrote:

Just Saying

i never said they were friends. it can be just people around you

• :clap:

Good job. I deleted mine two years ago. I really hate what that site does to people.

My friend put pictures of me on her page the other day and when she told me could not fathom why I was so upset. She said people "need to see" how happy she is. :shock: :?

What really disturbs me, is if I put in my username and password now--after two years--in three seconds, everything would be returned.

I'd rather waste time here. And keep my life private.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    ...cabbage smells like farts.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    That argument has been made against email, the Internet, instant messaging, message boards....pretty much any digital technology.

I love the irony of this being discussed on a message board, from which some of the features on Facebook can be found.
  • brosiobrosio Posts: 60
    SM211812 wrote:
    CD97228 wrote:

Just Saying

i never said they were friends. it can be just people around you

Fair enough. Just think people have choices, and if they choose to act like a bozo on their Blackberry telling the world they just did their laundry in record time then so be it.

Drives me nuts, but it clearly makes a lot of people happy
  • SM211812 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Completely agree.

I move a lot and it is difficult to keep in touch when people are, well, lazy.

Not having a facebook account has really forced all of us to put in more of an effort if we really want to maintain our relationship.

Ironically, not having a facebook has really made my relationships stronger as well as my ability to stay in touch with people who really matter to me.

Facebook is just too damn impersonal, in my own experience.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Your All Nuts!!!
    Nobody Loves Cabbage.
  • Good on ya!

I cant really say anything any better than what has already been said here.
    facebook is lame. i couldnt be more happy to have cut ties with all the people i went to high school with. And then dealing with co-workers and bosses and family requesting your friendship :roll: ....its just too much. If i want to talk to someone...I'll pick up the phone, or go see them in person. If I havent seen or spoken with you for 10 years..well, there is probably a reason for that :lol:

Funny thing is...so many people hold a grudge about me not being on facebook. Ive been left out of the loop recently on a lot of things, because Im not on facebook. "Oh, btw. Im having a party this weekend...come if you want" (only to find out they sent out a geigh facebook invite to their fakebook friends like 2 weeks early) yah, go F yourself buddy. Keep your fake friends....I dont need u anyways

8-)

Oh... and one of the main reasons I started coming HERE... Is b/c everyone else spends 80% of their work day on facebook... I gotta make up for the difference somewhere... I'd so much rather talk to nice strangers than assholes that I know in real life :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• I'd so much rather talk to nice strangers than assholes that I know in real life :lol:
    :D Me too.
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    you said you don't care about other people's life...

so should we care if you deactivated your facebook account ?

(:
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    ....i can't even think of 10 people I would actually consider "friends"

:thumbup:

so f'n true.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    nuffingman wrote:
    It is what it is. It can be used without the nonsense that goes on with some of the people that are on it.

Rule 1. If you get a friend request from someone you don't want to know REJECT it.
    Rule 2. If someone pisses you off with something REMOVE them.
    Rule 3. Don't put really personal stuff on there.

^^ This. That's how I deal with facebook. I've only had an account for a little over a year bec everybody's like 'you HAVE to get a facebook'. Well, there is a lot of stupid crap on there from other people sometimes--like you say, remove them. I have no interest in people with whom I went to high school and haven't seen in years (and they didn't like me then, so whatever) so when they try to be my 'friend', I don't. I rarely post on it but one positive thing that I found about it is that it has put me in touch again with many people that I had lost touch with because of where we live, life, time, etc. Then, you have some of those people with like 1500 friends. :? I have like 70, and know personally every one of them, and they've had a place in my life. But I agree that I would rather be on here than facebook. It got old.