Eddie Vedder solo tour ticket prices

Comments

• MK97633MK97633 Posts: 15
    Thank you guys for all the replies, it appears as I was overseas PJ tickets went up in price.... Im not saying its not worth the money... I would be the first to argue that going to a PJ show is invaluable and you cant put a price on such a special experience.... I guess this time around the number just hit me as alot..I did not realize the ticket prices have gone up in recent years..Ive been busy studying I guess..I dont want a copy of their bank account or buisness records, that of course is none of my buisness... However the one thing I have learned through the years of goin to shows is that it is our responsibilty to question these things... Maybe its just increase of costs. Im not an economics major or friendly with allan greenspan... But I do believe we should not just blindly accept it...Its worth asking a few questions... I am sure pj have good reasons for the price hike over the years, and they are not the type of band to just raise prices because they ca, that much I know to be true, I was just looking for some logistical answers as to why they have raised prices....Dont worry I will continue to attend the shows w/ a smile on my face rockin out as much as ever....because in the end u cant put a price for an evening w/ pj...Its just to amazing....Thanks for the replies...
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited April 2011
    brianlux wrote:
    I have to jump in here and say a word about ticket prices. When I lived in San Francisco in the late '60's/early '70's, tickets to an average show at Filmore West were $3 each. That included a show with three great bands in one night and a free hand bill- sometimes even free posters. If Eddie's tickets are $80 that means tickets are 26 2/3 times what they were then. If that's the case, gas should be running around $13 a gallon and a pack of cigarettes or a loaf of bread around $8.

Sorry folks- these prices are out of line. (No offense, Eddie. Ditto Neil.)

There are many studies on the "real" cost of gas, and when you take into account a number of external factors such as pollution, government subsidies, and war to secure sources the actual cost of gas is probably around $13/gallon.
    Here is the most extensive report I have seen:
    http://www.icta.org/doc/Real%20Price%20 ... soline.pdf

Just like with gas prices there are many external costs of a tour - ev does not get all the money from the ticket price
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    But they HAVEN'T really gone up. $2 more than '08. Two PJ concert tickets (10c) in '08 cost $150. That's a reasonable increase.

And the comment about going to concerts in the 70's in SF...I commend you for your sense of humor. Because that's a funny post. Made my night.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Ed's gotta feed his babies. And baby momma :mrgreen:
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Hugo Reyes wrote:
    But they HAVEN'T really gone up. $2 more than '08. Two PJ concert tickets (10c) in '08 cost $150. That's a reasonable increase.

keyword: solo
    pj is a whole band.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    I have no problem spending $175 a pair for PJ, but chose not to spend that on an Eddie solo show.

For me, more bang for the buck with the full band. Never complained about prices for seeing Pearl Jam. But I do think the prices for Eddie's shows are a little much.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
    Hugo Reyes wrote:

pj is a whole band.

um...did you miss the $2 increase for solo tour reference? 3 years and a $2 increase. What could there possibly be to complain about?
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Hugo Reyes wrote:
    Hugo Reyes wrote:

pj is a whole band.

um...did you miss the $2 increase for solo tour reference? 3 years and a $2 increase. What could there possibly be to complain about?

They were too expensive two years ago as well
    eh...it's a lot of money, no question. It's just a question of whether or not you think it's worth it. If you are on this board, I have to think the cost of a run-of-the-mill fun night out is worth it to see Vedder solo, something I'd imagine you'd never forget.

$85 for a memory/experience you'll never forget seems pretty reasonable.
  • I totally respect everyone's opinions here and everyone has a price threshold that makes sense to each individually. That said, if you want to measure $180 a pair/30 songs in an intimate setting amongst amongst passionate/friendly fans, and unparalleled sound I'd say YES
    PLEASE.

It depends on what you want to spend your money on and certainly we all have different priorities and limitations. I know that personally, having seen several of his solo shows, it's worth every red cent.
  • My husband and I were just discussing ticket prices for Phish for summer which are 75 bucks apiece...I have been seeing them for 15 years and it has finally reached the point of telling him it was too much money for shows that are not nearly as good as they used to be...also way too much for multiple shows...so when EV solo came around...I was trying to find a way to tell my husband I was getting tickets and they were XX amount of money...his response was perfect...EV does not tour once or even twice a year...to see EV solo in a setting as intimate as the ones we are all about to go to is not as common as Phish touring multiple times in large venues. To spend that much $$$ on one or tow shows you might see in your lifetime is completely and totally worth it. He (knowing my obsession with PJ and EV) said that this is something special that he wouldn't allow me to miss and if we needed to go to stubhub...then that is what we would do. Although he has done solo before...it is still a shorter tour, much less seats, and about 30 songs from Eddie...worth every penny...
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    Hugo Reyes wrote:

pj is a whole band.

This is ridiculous
    By your reasoning tickets to see EV should be roughly $16.00-17.00

Honestly...buy 1 less starbucks and 1 less pack of cigarettes a week for the next 3 months and your pair of tickets to see EV are paid for.

Or do what a lot of us do....put aside $20-30 or more per week during the course of the year in order to have the funds for shows.
  • i didnt think of it til now...but certainly some of the $$$ has to go to Glen from Swell Season.
    i'm interested in his set...i liked Liam Finn both times but I'm starting to hear his music on the Fleet Foxes Pandora station

yb
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • My husband and I were just discussing ticket prices for Phish for summer which are 75 bucks apiece...I have been seeing them for 15 years and it has finally reached the point of telling him it was too much money for shows that are not nearly as good as they used to be...also way too much for multiple shows...so when EV solo came around...I was trying to find a way to tell my husband I was getting tickets and they were XX amount of money...his response was perfect...EV does not tour once or even twice a year...to see EV solo in a setting as intimate as the ones we are all about to go to is not as common as Phish touring multiple times in large venues. To spend that much $$$ on one or tow shows you might see in your lifetime is completely and totally worth it. He (knowing my obsession with PJ and EV) said that this is something special that he wouldn't allow me to miss and if we needed to go to stubhub...then that is what we would do. Although he has done solo before...it is still a shorter tour, much less seats, and about 30 songs from Eddie...worth every penny...

he sounds like a keeper...remember this post when he asks about a threesome :D
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MK97633 wrote:
    The inflation argument is reaonable. I would just like some proof that $80/ seat anywhere in the venue including up high is the going market rate...If thats true then I would by the tickets and go hear "luke the uke" and have a beautiful evening..
    $90 today = roughly $62 in 1995. PJ wasn't charging anywhere close to $62 a seat in 1995. I believe they were between $20-30 face. Inflation makes up some of the difference but nowhere close to all.
    The value of the product has also gone up significantly since 1995. People seem to never want to factor that in. Pearl Jam and Eddie solo are worth the price, and deserve the amount they make. Being PJ, and being the lead singer of PJ has it's worth and value. It seems like people want them to not make what 20 year professional musicians in a 20 year old band are worth.

It's been 16 years people, everyone is different now than they were back then. No one can escape that. Cut them, and everyone around you some slack. They still all do really great philanthropic good deeds with their riches. If it is not worth it to you, so be it. It is worth it to plenty others...obviously; Ed's tour is sold out.
    MK97633 wrote:
    so if inflation makes up some of it then where is the rest going? If you tell me its to help support the band in their going green initiative on tour, or to help pay their numerous staff a decent wage, or to the numbers of great causes they r involved in, or to by things for their ever growing families and put away for college, or to by eddies sweet bottle of dry red before every show....Im down with all those things and would gladly pay the extra difference... I just want alittle more info,,, ill let u guys know what the tenclub comes back with.....
    You are not entitled to know how they spend their money. You just have to decide it it is worth it to you. Get off your high horse already.
  • Stubhub is the market indicator. If EV sold tix for $35 the scalpers would make as much on the tour as Ed would.
    Gorge
    Stubhub is the market indicator. If EV sold tix for $35 the scalpers would make as much on the tour as Ed would.
    True, true, true! Free enterprise tends to find market value real quick.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    aNiMaL wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MK97633 wrote:
    The inflation argument is reaonable. I would just like some proof that $80/ seat anywhere in the venue including up high is the going market rate...If thats true then I would by the tickets and go hear "luke the uke" and have a beautiful evening..
    $90 today = roughly $62 in 1995. PJ wasn't charging anywhere close to $62 a seat in 1995. I believe they were between $20-30 face. Inflation makes up some of the difference but nowhere close to all.
    The value of the product has also gone up significantly since 1995. People seem to never want to factor that in. Pearl Jam and Eddie solo are worth the price, and deserve the amount they make. Being PJ, and being the lead singer of PJ has it's worth and value. It seems like people want them to not make what 20 year professional musicians in a 20 year old band are worth.

It's been 16 years people, everyone is different now than they were back then. No one can escape that. Cut them, and everyone around you some slack. They still all do really great philanthropic good deeds with their riches. If it is not worth it to you, so be it. It is worth it to plenty others...obviously; Ed's tour is sold out.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    aNiMaL wrote:
    MK97633 wrote:
    so if inflation makes up some of it then where is the rest going? If you tell me its to help support the band in their going green initiative on tour, or to help pay their numerous staff a decent wage, or to the numbers of great causes they r involved in, or to by things for their ever growing families and put away for college, or to by eddies sweet bottle of dry red before every show....Im down with all those things and would gladly pay the extra difference... I just want alittle more info,,, ill let u guys know what the tenclub comes back with.....
    You are not entitled to know how they spend their money. You just have to decide it it is worth it to you. Get off your high horse already.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    If the tickets were paperless -- as they should be -- there would be no StubHub market. One reason acts don't do this is that the entire tour is an instant sellout because scalpers snap up all of the tickets. That creates a perception of hotness for the artist and -- of course -- earns them millions of dollars overnight. The scalpers cash in, too. The ONLY losers are the fans, which is truly sad. Not going paperless is a huge middle finger to the fans, IMO. There is absolutely nothing to lose by doing so, except a bunch of cash for the scalpers.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012

he sounds like a keeper...remember this post when he asks about a threesome :D

:lol:
    Hugo Reyes wrote:

They were too expensive two years ago as well

hahahaha! yeah what he said. :lol:

break down 'worth' for me? it's a fickled thing. there's an emotional factor going on here with ticket buying. so lets dissect worth.

• The prices are ridiculous , but i can't really say anything because i keep going back for more. It's kind of sick to think that PJ ticket prices have increases !00% since 2003 according to my tenclub order history. I mean we pay these prices cause we love the band, but there are plenty of bands at this level charging less. Phish is my favorite band and their tickets are $60 for pavillions and $45 for lawns and each ticket comes with a free download of the show ($10) value. The Muse show I saw last year was $55 with fees and their stage production was huge. I'm cool with Pj having a simplke stage setup, but the price should reflect that. Also Pj's lights are the worst for a band of their size. Just terrible lights. But they know we'll pay it so they can charge it. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."

you are spot on about phish shows not being as good as they once were. BUT you get Three hours of music and the best light show in the business. Plus you have the option of getting lawns for $45 and you get a free dload of the show. For a band at this level that is about as good as your going to get these days.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,184
    aNiMaL wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MK97633 wrote:

This right here.

On a related note, I bought a juicer last week and immediately emailed Breville afterward to find out what they were doing with my money.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,184
    brianlux wrote:
    I have to jump in here and say a word about ticket prices. When I lived in San Francisco in the late '60's/early '70's, tickets to an average show at Filmore West were $3 each. That included a show with three great bands in one night and a free hand bill- sometimes even free posters. If Eddie's tickets are $80 that means tickets are 26 2/3 times what they were then. If that's the case, gas should be running around $13 a gallon and a pack of cigarettes or a loaf of bread around $8.

Sorry folks- these prices are out of line. (No offense, Eddie. Ditto Neil.)

word.

ya'll are fools for feeding the beast.

I disagree. I, along with thousands of others, feel as if we are getting relative value for the cost. It's unfortunate that you've been priced out of this (and possibly other) shows, but thems the breaks. You can't move the collective will when all available evidence seems to indicate they don't agree with you.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,127
    I know some will disagree but i personally don't have a problem with the ticket price. Eddie solo is a really unique and enjoyable concert experience in a beautiful setting. I think the money is worth it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    The prices are ridiculous , but i can't really say anything because i keep going back for more. It's kind of sick to think that PJ ticket prices have increases !00% since 2003 according to my tenclub order history. I mean we pay these prices cause we love the band, but there are plenty of bands at this level charging less. But they know we'll pay it so they can charge it. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

yup.
    if pj ever goes $100 per tix i'll be priced out. been a fan since i've heard them on the radio in 92. bought their cds on first week of release, etc. it'll be like a big fuck you (to me) if i'm ever priced out.

$60 per Ed ticket seems reasonable to me.

i know he's no eddie vedder but i saw gavin rossdale for $40 a couple years ago.

black crowes have great ticket prices and they have a big band to haul around.

• KillTakerKillTaker Posts: 140
    MK97633 wrote:
    guys u made me laugh, i appreciate that....But im looking for some equally as funny explanations but ones that still answer the price hike...Im remembering the band that spearheaded the lawsuit against ticketmaster, saying that they are a monopoly for overcharging people on ticket prices..Thats the PJ i know and love..Im sure there is a reasonable explanation. Ive emailed the tenclub so well see what they come back with... :P

Just as a correction. Pearl Jam *did not* "spearhead" the lawsuit against ticketmaster. They were asked by congress to testify. Yes the band was very vocal about their distaste for the monopoly that ticketmaster was but they didn't start the process.

And Ed's solo ticket prices are very much in line with his specific tour detail and production. If you'd like me to go into the logistics I will but trust that he is not gouging his fans.