1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    What's the quota on countries attacked by the US before its considered World War III?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    It is the UN not the US...we are a part of it and as long as we are and we pledge our military for un efforts this is what happens...

also, no worries

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42145571/ns ... tn_africa/
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    It is the UN not the US...we are a part of it and as long as we are and we pledge our military for un efforts this is what happens...

also, no worries

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42145571/ns ... tn_africa/
    Apparently Gaddafi is crazy, but not stupid crazy.
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Jason P wrote:
    Apparently Gaddafi is crazy, but not stupid crazy.

Ya, he's not stupid crazy ... that's hilarious ... what a tool ... what did he think would happen, like really ?
    IDIOT! Shame on him
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I don't know why the USA needs to play world-cop.

Britain and France have been pushing for this. Harder than the US even.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    whygohome wrote:
    This is the best approach the U.S could have taken. This is a UN led implementation of a No-Fly Zone. I do not think, and I hope that I am right, that this will escalate into another Iraq or Afghanistan. Obama did the right thing by taking this to the UN and being a part of a plan instead of rushing into a situation without a solid game plan.

This.

If they just enforce the no-fly zone by destroying Libya's anti-aircraft capabilities and grounding their planes, then this is absolutely something I can get behind. The man is slaughtering his own people. The US has sort of sat back and waited. Unlike Iraq, there is full UN support. The Arab League is even calling for it.

That being said, civilians will get hurt. There will be mistakes and innocents will die and that sucks.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Flagg wrote:

Obama is in a little pickle and is keeping his (administration's) mouth shut. He can't lead the charge ... it would upset his democratic base and make the US look like a warmonger.

Plus, it would be odd for a nobel peace prize laureate to campaign for military action.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Obama is in a little pickle and is keeping his (administration's) mouth shut. He can't lead the charge ... it would upset his democratic base and make the US look like a warmonger.

Plus, it would be odd for a nobel peace prize laureate to campaign for military action.

I agree with this. Image is important here. I think that is why he's been quiet about it and waited until the rebels basically begged for help and the Arab League gave approval.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    obama's pickle is how he's going to fend the military lobby ... y'all gotta remember that it was only recently that there was talks of expanding arms sales to Libya ... obviously, that's been shut down due to recent events but why on earth would someone even consider it? ... A: because the military industrial complex is that powerful ...

edit: typo
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Obama has already said that Libya needs new leadership, a "regime change" of sorts.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,189
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dikdavisdikdavis Posts: 32
    Jason P wrote:
    I would only support this if the US doesn't have to hang around for the rebuilding. The military has proven they are quite capable of blowing shit up effectively ... it's the re-fixing part that they are not so good at.

I just wonder how long the road will be if the UN approves of an attack. Will they focus on Bahrain next? Yeman? The Congo? Canada? How far does this extend?

Is there an end? Not as far as I can see. The U.N. needs to be dissolved. Any organization that gives any credence to what the French think is trying to kill itself. Remember kids: it's down the road, not across the street.
    Humility is not a bad thing; most great things were done before I was born.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,622
    Thanks, Obama. That justified absolutely nothing and gave no picture of the long term strategy around this brilliant idea.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    dikdavis wrote:
    Any organization that gives any credence to what the French think is trying to kill itself.

:?:
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    You mean the U.N.?

Come on people, Iraq was a mistake, but it would just take minimal effort to get this asshole out of power and hand it back to the people. We don't need troops. The population themselves can do that.

We thought Saddam was an asshole and the people would welcome us as their saviors – here we are nine years later, still sucking sand.

Maybe we should paint – courtesy of the UN – on Dover’s runway and erect a billboard outside of the State Department – Blame it on the UN.

It’s all about US support and interest, if not, why aren’t we in Bahrain? That country’s King is doing the same fukin sh-t to its people as Gaddafi?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/bahra ... ital-86170

Manama: The Bahrain military, backed by tanks and armored personnel carriers, took control of most of this capital on Thursday hours after hundreds of heavily armed riot police officers fired shotguns, tear gas and concussion grenades to break up a pro-democracy camp inspired by the tumult swirling across the Middle East.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,189
    apparently we are pretty selective about who we bring freedom to, who we save from genocide, who we depose, and who we nationbuild for.....

i want to know what the damn criteria are for making these decisions!!!
    for every libya there are 10 bahrains that we do not hear about and we do nothing about and we do not get involved with.

where is the tea party run house of representatives stance on this one?

cut federal funding of social programs? YES
    bust unions? YES
    tax cuts? YES
    cut military spending out of the budget? NO!
    stay out of other countries' affairs?? "yes but we have to make an exception here...."

it does not make sense to me. we have the hardcore right in this country demanding of obama that we intervene militarily in libya, while at the same time demanding we stay out of things. he is going to be criticized by the hardcore right no matter what decision he makes, he is weak if we don't go in there, or he is inexperienced if we do and it becomes another iraq....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I just want one of those Gaddafi posters for my living room. Looks.........uplifting.

;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    zarocat wrote:
    What about Saudi Arabia?

The U.N. looked for approval from the Arab League, and the Arab League was on board for Libya.
    What about Saudi Arabia ? Well, what about them ? No one is going to interfere with what they do. They own this fuckin' joint.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87b4a4a2wmY

This seems typical but is it enough for the youth of the population who are looking towards a fruitful future ?
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middl ... 14459.html

The list of countries that the Saudi monarch has left blowing in the wind to protect its pro-Western ties continues to grow, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Kuwait, Yemen, Somalia, Tunisia, Sudan, the State of Palestine (which includes the people of Gaza), and Egypt, most of whom are members of the so-called Arab League. Yet, they mobilized their military to assist Bahrain while Hillary and Gates act like they didn't get the e-mail, and the media keeps a low profile as the Saudi military shed more Muslim blood in Bahrain.

One day the people of the Arab world will realize that the Saudi monarchy has more Muslim blood on its hands than it has oil reserves.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,069
    Gotta get that oil!
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Gotta get that oil!

Guess the chocolate in the Ivory Coast is not important enough for anyone to want to interfere there.... You guys do realise that the price of chocolate is soaring and will continue to do so, don't you? Don't any of the world leaders like chocolate? If they did a bit more, I'm sure they would be as concerned about this country as they are with Libya.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Gotta get that oil!
    i'm just wondering if you own a car or ever use plastic products? if you don't then i see your point. if not then maybe you can send them a thank you card for getting you the oil.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    CH156378 wrote:
    Gotta get that oil!
    i'm just wondering if you own a car or ever use plastic products? if you don't then i see your point. if not then maybe you can send them a thank you card for getting you the oil.
    I'm just wondering if you have any kids or siblings or parents still alive? if you don't then i see your point. if not then maybe you should be thankful no one is killing them just to have oil to drive their cars.
  • Options
    CH156378 wrote:
    Gotta get that oil!
    I'm just wondering if you have any kids or siblings or parents still alive? if you don't then i see your point. if not then maybe you should be thankful no one is killing them just to have oil to drive their cars.
    is that what you think every time you start your car?
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    CH156378 wrote:
    CH156378 wrote:
    is that what you think every time you start your car?
    i was merely pointing out the absurdity of your comment.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Gotta stop turning this event into a U.S. thing, guys..

French officials have confirmed that French fighter jets are patrolling over Libya right now according to CNN..

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/19/li ... ut/?hpt=T1

This isn't Iraq, so stop comparing it to it.

EDIT: Reading some of the comments on CNN.com, people are either bitching that Obama isn't doing anything or they are bitching that Obama is the architect of this whole thing.. Either way, he is damned. I would hate to be president.
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,069
    CH156378 wrote:
    Gotta get that oil!

My point was that U.S. or British involvement in this mess is because of oil, not whether it is right or wrong, or not because the U.S. is world morality cop.

By the way I don't think all the families of all the people that have died in the oil wars, American or foreign, would actually appreciate a card. I'm sure they would rather have a different energy/resource/foreign policy system and their loved ones back.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    CH156378 wrote:
    Gotta get that oil!

My point was that U.S. or British involvement in this mess is because of oil, not whether it is right or wrong, or not because the U.S. is world morality cop.

By the way I don't think all the families of all the people that have died in the oil wars, American or foreign, would actually appreciate a card. I'm sure they would rather have a different energy/resource/foreign policy system and their loved ones back.

i understand, thanks. sorry for freaking out.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'm all for leaving the UN.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    puremagic wrote:
    You mean the U.N.?

Come on people, Iraq was a mistake, but it would just take minimal effort to get this asshole out of power and hand it back to the people. We don't need troops. The population themselves can do that.

We thought Saddam was an asshole and the people would welcome us as their saviors – here we are nine years later, still sucking sand.

Maybe we should paint – courtesy of the UN – on Dover’s runway and erect a billboard outside of the State Department – Blame it on the UN.

It’s all about US support and interest, if not, why aren’t we in Bahrain? That country’s King is doing the same fukin sh-t to its people as Gaddafi?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/bahra ... ital-86170

Manama: The Bahrain military, backed by tanks and armored personnel carriers, took control of most of this capital on Thursday hours after hundreds of heavily armed riot police officers fired shotguns, tear gas and concussion grenades to break up a pro-democracy camp inspired by the tumult swirling across the Middle East.
    Because Bahrain isn't bombing the hell out of it's citizens? We'll be there next if so..

Again, we aren't looking to occupy Libya, at least I hope not.. The U.N. is just planning on taking out the unfair bombing of citizens that is going on. Is it about oil? I'm sure that is a big influence, but it doesn't mean the U.N. isn't doing the right thing. They should be doing this everywhere.. In fact, the world should get together and rid all dictators of power. This is the 21st century. People should have the power.. It's going to eventually happen everywhere, why not speed up the process when the opportunity knocks?

Yes, we need stability in the middle east for oil. I agree, but can we also live with ourselves if we let this happen? We should be in Rowanda and Somalia preventing genocide too. It's bullshit that we pick and choose our wars/excuses for them, but I can't help but think the U.N. is doing the right thing, even if it is for the wrong reasons.

Hopefully the movement is big enough that a few crippling strikes on their military ends this quickly and the people can do the rest. Occupation is not an option.