Options

Where does Pearl Jam place in your top 5 bands?

Comments

• Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    Had to bring this one back. I think some people pick these obscure, lesser known bands as their favorites to sound cool and "underground." I mean seriously, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, etc.? I looked them up to see how they sounded, wondered if there was something I'd like and I can't find a thing. Just because they are anti-establishment doesn't make it good music. And yeah, I realize that what they stand for has it's place. The Black Keys are okay. I just think it's funny to list PJ, Soundgarden, Bruce, The Doors, and then ya throw out Husker Du, The Gits, and The Breeders just to sound unique in your musical taste. I mean if ya really like those bands, more power to ya. It just seems interesting to like a band as great as Pearl Jam, and like a band such as Soul Coughing. But, maybe that's just me.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
  • Options
    pistol3 wrote:
    Had to bring this one back. I think some people pick these obscure, lesser known bands as their favorites to sound cool and "underground." I mean seriously, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, etc.? I looked them up to see how they sounded, wondered if there was something I'd like and I can't find a thing. Just because they are anti-establishment doesn't make it good music. And yeah, I realize that what they stand for has it's place. The Black Keys are okay. I just think it's funny to list PJ, Soundgarden, Bruce, The Doors, and then ya throw out Husker Du, The Gits, and The Breeders just to sound unique in your musical taste. I mean if ya really like those bands, more power to ya. It just seems interesting to like a band as great as Pearl Jam, and like a band such as Soul Coughing. But, maybe that's just me.

not that there aren't posers and people who like some of these bands just because someone in PJ does,but i don't think that is the case here.I listen to many different bands and have very diversified taste in music(variety is the spice of life after all) i listen to everything except country(something about twanging guitars and yodeling hillbillies really puts me in a bad place) not so much the newer crap that has come out in the last decade because most of it is disposable music IMO.

but as far as listing some of these bands in your top 5...i can't comprehend that! and anyone here who doesn't have Zeppelin in their top 5 doesn't know shit about rock n' roll!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):D
  • Options
    01. Pearl Jam
    02. U2
    03. Alice In Chains
    04. Chris Cornell/Soundgarden/Audioslave
    05. Foo Fighters
  • Options
    1. PJ
    2. Van Halen! Didn't see them once so far
    3. Rage
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Led Zeppelin
    1,000,000,000. Nirvana
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    1.) Pearl Jam
    2.) The Smashing Pumpkins
    3.) Cat Power
    4.) Ambulance LTD
    5.) Queens of the Stone Age
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    you wouldn't be on this board if you didn't love them..but HOW MUCH do you love them??

1 Led Zeppelin ( they edge out PJ only by a smidgen! Jimmy Page is the master..sorry Mike ;))

2 Pearl Jam (a lot closer to first than second!! This is MY BAND and I'm not afraid to scream it from the tallest mountain/rooftop "I LOVE PJ!!" :D)

3 Alice in chains

4 Pink Floyd (dark side of the moon is the best complete album ever made IMO)

5 RATM (i wish they would write some new shit and release a new album..it's only been close to a fucking decade now!!)
    number one most definitely!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. Neil Young/CSNY
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. The Beatles
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam (of course!)
    2. Radiohead
    3. Foo Fighters
    4. Queens of the Stone Age
    5. RATM
    6. Soundgarden/ Audioslave

Would have put Chris Cornell as 5 but not anymore coz he sold out....
    Crowd: "UUUUUKKK!"
    Eddie: "I see you've acknowledged the Ukulele"
    Crowd: "UUUUUUUUKKKKK!!!"
    Eddie: "Too bad this is a mandolin you uncultured bastards"
  • Options
    no alarms and no surprises with my list. If I order them by who is my favorite it looks like:

1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. Beatles
    4. REM
    5. Neil Young

ordered by who I think is the greatest:

1. Beatles
    2. Radiohead
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. REM
    5. Neil Young
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    Some really awesome bands listed here, of course if you enjoy PJ then your list of music must kick arse....

1-Guns'n'Roses (my very very first rock'n'roll band!! So I gots to place them at one)
    2-PJ (and they rank so damn close to GNR, there's not enough I can say about this band!!)
    3-Nirvana (my second rock band and who I worship, but since PJ came into my life their rank kinda sunk a little, doesn't mean that I still don't worship them, I do...but not as much as PJ XD)
    4-Led Zeppelin (A classic.....)
    5-Elvis Presley (BIG BIG FAN!)
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    jblagg wrote:

ordered by who I think is the greatest:

1. Beatles
    2. Radiohead
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. REM
    5. Neil Young

"think" being the word of the day. ;)

Beatles..ok,fine....but radiohead over PJ?! fucking REM and no Zeppelin??

what's wrong with some of you people?????????????????

and i don't understand this Neil Young worship around here...he ain't all that! he's mediocre at best when it comes to the world of Rock n' Roll
  • Options
    MiddenMidden Posts: 16
    I have been thinking about this of late in describing PJ to some classic rock fans I know who do not know them (I guess because there are not that many "singles" on some classic rock stations). So, my "top five" favorites, not really in order, would be:

Led Zep, The Who, Springsteen, Hendrix and PJ (although I have been listening to PJ far more than any of the others for the last 10 years or so).

However, if I were to have to try to be more objective, I would have to move up the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, perhaps Peter Gabriel, Janis Joplin, probably the Doors, etc. The problem is that, although I think many of these latter bands were important for the times, at least, some definitely haven't withstood the test of time as well as others and I think some are over-rated. So, unfortunately, I am not 100% certain PJ would or should even make the top ten even though I would call them my current favorite. And I know some would point to one band that I think is the single most over-rated band of all time - the Eagles. I liked them very briefly for about a month or so in the late 70s but that was about it. And, of course, some would point to others like AC/DC or Ozzy/Sabbath. Should you also include Deep Purple to get the "Holy Trinity" of heavy metal albums? Machine Head and pre-Coverdale DP is important (and I like more than AC/DC and/or Ozzy/Sabbath) but...
  • Options
    Midden wrote:
    I have been thinking about this of late in describing PJ to some classic rock fans I know who do not know them (I guess because there are not that many "singles" on some classic rock stations). So, my "top five" favorites, not really in order, would be:

Led Zep, The Who, Springsteen, Hendrix and PJ (although I have been listening to PJ far more than any of the others for the last 10 years or so).

However, if I were to have to try to be more objective, I would have to move up the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, perhaps Peter Gabriel, Janis Joplin, probably the Doors, etc. The problem is that, although I think many of these latter bands were important for the times, at least, some definitely haven't withstood the test of time as well as others and I think some are over-rated. So, unfortunately, I am not 100% certain PJ would or should even make the top ten even though I would call them my current favorite. And I know some would point to one band that I think is the single most over-rated band of all time - the Eagles. I liked them very briefly for about a month or so in the late 70s but that was about it. And, of course, some would point to others like AC/DC or Ozzy/Sabbath. Should you also include Deep Purple to get the "Holy Trinity" of heavy metal albums? Machine Head and pre-Coverdale DP is important (and I like more than AC/DC and/or Ozzy/Sabbath) but...

I was a huge Ac/Dc fan when i was about 8 or 9 yrs old.

Eagles are awesome if you're talking Don Henley...Don is the shit..Joe Walsh is good..but i can't stand Glen Fry!!

Qzzy/Sabbath/Doors/Joplin/Stones...eh..they def have some good tunes but if you put them in a ring with Zeppelin they'd get knocked the fuck out!!Metal was born from Zeppelin and no one fucks with Page! not Hendrix,Clapton,Jeff Beck,Van-Halen,Randy Rhodes,Angus Young,Nugent....not even Mike McCready!!

Floyd i compare to no one because they are a sound unto their own & totally unique

U2 are the most overrated fucks on your list IMO..never understood the hype.I liked their early political stuff but not much after that.
  • Options
    MiddenMidden Posts: 16
    Personally, I put Zep and the Who as 1 and 2 and can't think of any way to move them from there. The Beatles might get a nod for historical reasons but I was not much of a fan. The Stones were great in the 60s, very good in the 70s but not much since except a curiosity. And even there, I put them into the category of good pop tunes but not much meat. Hendrix deserves a place in the top 5 without question, IMHO (although I am looking for a dvd that doesn't have all those preachy parasites talking it up too much). PJ belongs up there somewhere, in my opinion, because they do have a great catalogue that I can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. But what I also think gives them a real boost is not their studio albums or history of 'singles' but a solid and massive inventory of widely available live recordings. I keep finding and buying all those official boots and have never been disappointed with one. So now I have more PJ cd's than by any other band and can listen to them all. Plus, when in the mood, the dvd's. There are a couple of songs I have heard too often but every band has that problem.
  • Options
    "think" being the word of the day. ;)

Beatles..ok,fine....but radiohead over PJ?! fucking REM and no Zeppelin??

what's wrong with some of you people?????????????????

and i don't understand this Neil Young worship around here...he ain't all that! he's mediocre at best when it comes to the world of Rock n' Roll

"think" is definitely the word of this entire thread...

Led Zep is good, but I've never really connected with them on any level. Except "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You." That's a hell of a song. But I feel the same way about them as I do about Hendrix...respect them, know their work, don't ever feel like listening to them...

As for Neil, I've been in love with his music since seeing him on SNL around the time he did Unplugged. I was young so I don't really remember the exact timing. His catalog is so incredibly diverse, I really love what he does and what he's done.

Radiohead I think is the most important band in 20 years, in terms of scope and influence. They are constantly reinventing themselves. There is such a huge progression from Pablo Honey to In Rainbows...they're definitely a band that makes whatever music they feel like making, rather than what they feel people will buy (which is what I feel bands like U2 and Metallica do).

And REM - they may not have a guitarist like Page, but their career spans 30 years now and their influence cannot be denied. I can understand if they aren't on your list, but I'm sure you can understand why they are part of the conversation.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    1. pearl jam
    2. radiohead
    3.bob dylan
    4. neil young
    5.ryan adams/mmj/bruce springsteen
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam

2. Nine Inch Nails

3. TOOL

4. A Perfect Circle

5. Stone Temple Pilots

... With a deep nod to Led Zepplin. If I didnt listen to them first I would have never given rock a chance to discover these guys.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, Tegan & Sara, KOL
    -
    -
    -
    But Tom Waits & Dylan are in a catergory of their own...
    "Everytime I hear that melody, something breaks inside" -- T.W.
  • Options
    1. PJ

2-5 in no particular order: Neil, Supertramp, The Who, The Band
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    Manu Chao
    Sublime
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors

ehhh screw that there's too much good music I consider my favorite!

I absolutely love Manu Chao. :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    1a. U2
    1b. Pearl Jam

After that, I'm not sure how I'd rank 'em.
    let the living love

formerly: dividedbyfear
  • Options
    bump for the new board!!
  • Options
    lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    It's not really a list I keep, as what I listen to is ever flowing. But Pearl Jam are far and away my favourite band, and I think they ever will be.
  • Options
    1. Tool

2. Pearl Jam

3. Led Zep

4. INCUBUS

5. AIC
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    Oasis
    U2
    Ryan Adams
    Bob Dylan
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,822
    pearl jam
    incubus
    RHCP
    counting crows
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    1.the frames
    2.pearl jam
    3.rufus wainwright
    4.bruce springsteen
    5.idlewild/arcade fire
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Pj by a country mile
    REM
    RATM
    early live
    springsteen
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    pearl jam
    tragically hip
    led zeppelin
    my morning jacket
    wintersleep
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    andyred.atmandyred.atm Posts: 10
    edited January 2009
    pearl jam
    bruce springsteen
    r.e.m.
    led zeppelin
    who
    ratm
    radiohead
    pink floyd

this is what I love, but I can't place them in any order...
    Post edited by andyred.atm on