So I adopted a cat..

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    get him some kitten mittens! :lol:

Laser pen is good, drives my cats crazy. Only bad thing about them is the battery doesn't last too long. Squirt bottle is a good investment as well (or an air blower) they'll learn.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

Laser pen is good, drives my cats crazy. Only bad thing about them is the battery doesn't last too long. Squirt bottle is a good investment as well (or an air blower) they'll learn.
    He keeps himself busy enough for hours with a piece of crumpled paper, I can't imagine what a laser pointer would do to him..

Dumb ass me, who is EXTREMELY allergic to seafood, got him all seafood. Sounded ok, because I'm not the one eating it, right.. Well the little guy likes to smother me after his meals. Little bastard even licks his paws before he jumps on me. I have rashes all over.

Going to stick with land animals for food from now on.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

He keeps himself busy enough for hours with a piece of crumpled paper, I can't imagine what a laser pointer would do to him..

Dumb ass me, who is EXTREMELY allergic to seafood, got him all seafood. Sounded ok, because I'm not the one eating it, right.. Well the little guy likes to smother me after his meals. Little bastard even licks his paws before he jumps on me. I have rashes all over.

Going to stick with land animals for food from now on.

You know cats lick their paws to clean themselves, right? ;):lol: Sorry about the seafood incident, though.

Speaking of cats licking themselves, do you have any anti hair-ball things you can give your new friend? There are probably some treats of the sort around. Might be a good idea, especially since he's got some lenght to his fur. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    RKCNDY wrote:
    keeping cats off counters=placing packing tape sticky side up on the counter...cat jumps on counter, gets stuck to tape and does not like the strange sticky stuff attaching itself to them. Works like a charm, especially when the cat gets smart enough to only jump on the counter when you are in bed asleep. You'll only have to do this trick a few times and the cat won't jump on the counters again.
    Now if you only had a trick for keeping the cat off of the turntable... :mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    eMMI wrote:
    You know cats lick their paws to clean themselves, right? ;):lol: Sorry about the seafood incident, though.

Speaking of cats licking themselves, do you have any anti hair-ball things you can give your new friend? There are probably some treats of the sort around. Might be a good idea, especially since he's got some lenght to his fur. :)

nope. spring is the worst. he should start shedding any day now. that causes more fur ball pukes.

i guess it'll be time to shave him pretty soon.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    81 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

nope. spring is the worst. he should start shedding any day now. that causes more fur ball pukes.

ats29245_angry_Shaved_Cat_2.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    This one time....I posted that picture in a thread....and..... :silent:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Poncier wrote:
    81 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

ats29245_angry_Shaved_Cat_2.jpg

not quite, but yeah
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

Tell me about it. :shock: Our little kitty's shedding like no tomorrow. Which means more combing and brushing for her, which she likes. :P

But I have to say, our kitty very rarely pukes fur balls. Could be a number of reasons why, but I'm sure the Anti-Hairball treats we've got for her also help.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    81 wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

Tell me about it. :shock: Our little kitty's shedding like no tomorrow. Which means more combing and brushing for her, which she likes. :P

But I have to say, our kitty very rarely pukes fur balls. Could be a number of reasons why, but I'm sure the Anti-Hairball treats we've got for her also help.
    In the 4 days I've had him, no puking yet, but he is shedding like crazy. Probably from the stress of leaving his family to a new environment and it being spring now.
    it's all downhill

be careful when you wear black. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    OK, now I REALLY need help.

I can't get him to stop chewing on cables, computer, TV, speakers, and blu-ray player. The more I discourage him from doing it the more he wants to. He's obsessed now. I have to lock him up until I figure something out. He is going to ruin thousands of dollars of stuff and possibly electrocute himself.

Any suggestions?
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

I can't get him to stop chewing on cables, computer, TV, speakers, and blu-ray player. The more I discourage him from doing it the more he wants to. He's obsessed now. I have to lock him up until I figure something out. He is going to ruin thousands of dollars of stuff and possibly electrocute himself.

Any suggestions?

I feel all your frustrations since we have a kitten too. He's done everything you've mentioned. I realize he likes water, but a squirt gun will scare him away. or try talking to your vet about how to handle discipline so the cat won't think you are mean and therefore still like you!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

Any suggestions?

Sawyer is 4 months old you say? Kittens go through a teething stage just like babies. Around that time, they will start losing their baby teeth to get the adult ones. And they start chewing on everything......

A couple of things to do:

Use some natural repellent on the stuff he chews - usually (and usually is the word!), cats do not like citrus. You can spray some diluted citrus oil or rub citrus oil on cables, etc. If not possible to spray/rub entirely, put some oil on a bit of cotton wool and put on/near what Sawyer chews. You can also buy other kinds of repellent in pet shops.

Again, PLENTY of toys. Get him some he can chew on/sink his teeth in or even bendy straws. Do you give him dry cat food? If not, that can help with his teeth too.

And last but not least, patience.

If this behaviour continues past 6/7 months, try something like Feliway. I lost the battle of chewed up in-ear headphones with one of my cats. Something about the thin cable and the bits for the ears dangling at the end, I think. I just put them in the drawer when I don't use them (just use them for the PC).
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    redrock wrote:
    And last but not least, patience.

That's the route I went :P .
    I tried to 'out-patience' him, and it worked, eventually. I 'protected' all cables with thick tape so that he didn't cause damage or injured himself, and each time he tried to chew on the cables, I said 'No!' in a very convincing voice and lifted him away from the sensible spot. This behaviour lasted for a couple of months and he eventually lost interest.
    The way I taught our (then my) cat to not jump on a certain table was saying "No!" (or, as I'm Finnish, "Ei!") and clapping my hands very loudly whenever I saw her eyeing up a way to get up there. (I know she looked/went up there at least twice when I was away, but those were pretty special occasions, one time I had a vase of roses there and the other time a few of her treats in a bag. Didn't think she'd get them through plastic. :? )

The noise (clapping etc.) is unpleasant to the kitty so she will want to avoid having to hear it. :P
    Bastard is 10 months old already. How quickly 6 months fly..

I thought cats do a lot of sleeping? This guy never stops moving! He's getting to big for the sink!

http://cdn1.pearljam.com/files/287388_1 ... 7122_o.jpg
    he's a 20lber in the making
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    he's a 20lber in the making
    Yeah, and 17 lbs of that is tap water..
    conman wrote:
    The building is 90 years old. I don't know, I'm out of here in 5 weeks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    :lol: just joking, i'm an electrician by trade and i always notice stupid shit like that
    conman wrote:
    :lol: just joking, i'm an electrician by trade and i always notice stupid shit like that

can you come fix my porch light

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:
    conman wrote:

sure, i'll be in your neck of the woods in two weeks, but i get to charge my phone in your truck for free during the tailgate. deal?
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    conman wrote:

sure, i'll be in your neck of the woods in two weeks, but i get to charge my phone in your truck for free during the tailgate. deal?

if you need a charge, you are welcome to an outlet.

but you may need to help push start my truck at the end of the night. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    Damn it LikeAnOcean. Why did you change you name? Who the hell is Gob? After this many years?

Not a fan of the forum name changes. I am gonna treat you like a newbie now. :lol:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Who the hell is Gob?
    If you have not seen Arrested Development, I cannot help you.. Get on it! :P
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    Gob wrote:
    Bastard is 10 months old already. How quickly 6 months fly..

I thought cats do a lot of sleeping? This guy never stops moving! He's getting to big for the sink!

http://cdn1.pearljam.com/files/287388_1 ... 7122_o.jpg

cats don't do a lot of sleeping unless they are older/senior cats. that myth is a rumor. mine seem to rarely sleep, just taking quick cat naps (mainly during the day and late nights)

cute kitty btw :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my tiny cat that was supposed to be 4 mos old when I got him right before Christmas only weighs 9.6 lbs.
    we never believed he was that old. but damn, I've had him 8 months now. not even 10 lbs...he doesn't look skinny. i guess he didn't eat right since he was a stray and was taken to the pokey/gas chamber where he was saved by the ppl who took him to petsmart.

what's yours weigh now? mine is crazy! we had to rip out our carpet, it's time for new and we need to decide if we want to maintain our hardwood floors. he slides and has many near misses now!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more