So I adopted a cat..

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    redrock wrote:
    Just uploaded this..

http://www.pearljam.com/files/DSC00439.jpg

I settled on Sawyer for his name.

Sawyer is good!

He't not fat at all. He's just a big cat - look at the size of his paws!

He's gorgeous!

:thumbup:

What a gorgeous cat! Not fat, just big boned. :mrgreen: Paws are a good indication of how big kitties will grow up to be. Our girl has small paws and she's a little cat, don't think she'll get any bigger.

Of course, some cats are big with teeny paws. Which makes them walking on you very uncomfortable. :shock: :P (This was my friend's family's cat a couple years ago, now she's lost some weight, luckily.)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    very cute cat, enjoy him :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Hes very purrty. Sawyer is a cool name for a cat.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    aaaawwwww, what a cutie! congratulations on your new kitty!

they have charts for what a kitten should weigh, but I do not know if they are accurate. are you sure it is really 4 months old? my kitten was soooo skinny when we adopted him at petsmart, i did not believe he was 4 mos old, which was written on the window of his enclosure (not a cage.) we took him to the vet on tuesday and the vet would not guess his age for us. his adult teeth started to come in on january 20th. he weighed 3.5 lbs on 12/24 when we took him to the vet (the day after I adopted him) and on tuesday, he weighed 6.75 lbs.

cats are good at waking people up like at 4 a.m. for some attention :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I have never owned a cat...forgive me if Im ignorant

Do cats need names ?

Dogs of course respond to their names..do cats ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Do cats need names ?

most cats don't respond to their name. least mine don't

I have one cats that wakes me up in the middle of the night also. She likes her wet food then :) :roll:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    eeriepadave, cats are good manipulators, aren't they? :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

Do cats need names ?

My kitties do. Of course my cats are brilliant :mrgreen: And they kind of act like dogs (play fetch, greet me when I come home, etc). Tim has had cats his whole life and he said he's never seen any that act quite like mine :? :lol:

Sawyer is adorable! He's definitely gonna be a big boy. Just treat him like a prince and he'll decide just how much to annoy you at night.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Our cat Artie looks real fat, but he only weighs 12 pounds, and our cat Rhett looks anorexic but he's only 2 pounds less than Artie. It's tough to tell with cats.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    OK, can anyone tell me when these guys calm down?

This guy doesn't let me do anything. He attacks the TV when I watch it. If I have an open beverage he knocks it over. He's always on my lap or up in my face. I'm always tripping over him. He is an attention whore! From the second I'm home to the second I leave he is on me.

I can't let him in my bedroom at night because he attacks me all night. I can't give him free range of the house at night because he yodels outside my door if I kick him out of my room.

He's almost 5 months old now. When do they calm down? I thought cats sleep 20 hrs a day. He sleeps like 10 minutes a day.

He's on my lap right now. He barely lets me eat or type. I'm covered with little bite and scratch marks from him trying to play with me constantly.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Yes, cats respond to names, and they can be trained.

They dont start sleeping a ton until the get a little older
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Yes, cats respond to names, and they can be trained.

They dont start sleeping a ton until the get a little older
    Cats are arguably smarter than dogs. Their memory part of their brain is many times more powerful than that of a dog. I've read only monkeys and chimps are better.

This guy doesn't let me do anything. He attacks the TV when I watch it. If I have an open beverage he knocks it over. He's always on my lap or up in my face. I'm always tripping over him. He is an attention whore! From the second I'm home to the second I leave he is on me.

I can't let him in my bedroom at night because he attacks me all night. I can't give him free range of the house at night because he yodels outside my door if I kick him out of my room.

He's almost 5 months old now. When do they calm down? I thought cats sleep 20 hrs a day. He sleeps like 10 minutes a day.

He's on my lap right now. He barely lets me eat or type. I'm covered with little bite and scratch marks from him trying to play with me constantly.

I have one that is 3 and one that is about 5 and they ares still pretty active,so might be awhile ;) :P

Yeah most cats sleep more when they are older, seems like mine rarely sleep. Mine sleep mostly during the day and sometimes at night. I have one that kinda sleeps with me, I'll wake up and there she is, the other one sometimes sleeps with me.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958

Sorry, but I find the tinge of panic in your post to be extremely amusing in my sleep-deprived state :lol::lol::lol: Get another kitty so they can play together *or double the torture heh heh heh* He's gorgeous by the way. Congrats on your new furry baby :thumbup:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

Sorry, but I find the tinge of panic in your post to be extremely amusing in my sleep-deprived state :lol::lol::lol: Get another kitty so they can play together *or double the torture heh heh heh* He's gorgeous by the way. Congrats on your new furry baby :thumbup:
    Ha!

Speaking of which, I had one hour of sleep the first night he stayed here.. I've since set him up with a comfortable bedroom in the pantry until he calms the hell down.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Catnip?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Catnip?
    Thats the ticket :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Catnip?
    Thats the ticket :lol:
    Just makes him more crazed.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Honeysuckle?
    Our cat loves it...just chewed on her stick, and then went right back to bed. But she is 2, and some say cats do not enjoy the honeysuckle until after they are 1 year old. ;)
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I adopted a 7 year old cat in the fall. He was really shy at first, but he is a complete attention whore now. He's also a big boy. I suspect that he might even be part Maine Coon.

Maybe get your kitty a variety of little toys that he can play with on his own to use up some of his energy. Mine loves feather toys that he can bat around and carry in his mouth. You could get him some fake mice stuffed with catnip too.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I adopted a 7 year old cat in the fall. He was really shy at first, but he is a complete attention whore now. He's also a big boy. I suspect that he might even be part Maine Coon.

Maybe get your kitty a variety of little toys that he can play with on his own to use up some of his energy. Mine loves feather toys that he can bat around and carry in his mouth. You could get him some fake mice stuffed with catnip too.

Yes! Toys and things. Maybe a scratching post too? (Make sure that if you do get one, it's not too short.) And, of course, you could try playing with your kitty (even a simple crumpled up piece of paper on a string could be a hit :P ) and tiring him out. :mrgreen: (Oh.. And maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't leave the string-majigger out for the night, some cats like to eat/swallow yarn and stuff. :? )
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    LikeAnOcean - Sawyer is a kitten - that's what kittens do. They're manic! Remember, only a few days ago, he had his sister (and other kittens and adults/kids?) to play with, groom/be groomed by, etc., then all of a sudden he has either you or nothing (when you are out). You are his plaything, his company, the thing he can cuddle up to, etc. as he doesn't have anyone else. Also kittens will be interested by anything that moves, whether 'in' the TV/PC, toes under the blanket, etc.

As others said, lots of toys so he can go nuts with them. He'll grow up and be calmer (eventually! :mrgreen: )
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

Well my cat is 15 and I'm pretty sure she's gonna calm down any day now. She acts like she's 5 months old. I've never seen anything like it.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    put a big brown grocery bag on the floor. I know, it doesn't look nice, but we have two, and our kitty dives into the bags. he loves them. he is spoiled, i bought him lots of little toys. he catches his mice mid air when i throw them. he is smart! see if you can find milk that has a plastic ring when you open it. our new kitty swats the ring around on the floor and carries it in his mouth.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    redrock wrote:
    LikeAnOcean - Sawyer is a kitten - that's what kittens do. They're manic! Remember, only a few days ago, he had his sister (and other kittens and adults/kids?) to play with, groom/be groomed by, etc., then all of a sudden he has either you or nothing (when you are out). You are his plaything, his company, the thing he can cuddle up to, etc. as he doesn't have anyone else. Also kittens will be interested by anything that moves, whether 'in' the TV/PC, toes under the blanket, etc.

As others said, lots of toys so he can go nuts with them. He'll grow up and be calmer (eventually! :mrgreen: )

He's starting to get used to solitude. I let him have free roam of the apartment last night and for the most part he didn't cry and let me sleep this time.
    a squirt bottle is a good investment.

make sure you train him to stay off counters.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    a squirt bottle is a good investment.

make sure you train him to stay off counters.
    He loves water. He rolls around in the tub after I shower. I'm not sure that will work.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Two words: laser pointer. That'll wear him out.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    keeping cats off counters=placing packing tape sticky side up on the counter...cat jumps on counter, gets stuck to tape and does not like the strange sticky stuff attaching itself to them. Works like a charm, especially when the cat gets smart enough to only jump on the counter when you are in bed asleep. You'll only have to do this trick a few times and the cat won't jump on the counters again.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    If you ever want to make sure your cat never bites you hard all you have to do is let them.

Im serious.... the moment they try biting you just leave your finger there and they will get confused. They expect you to be afraid so when you show that your not they will just back off and run off. My cat has never actually bitten me hard because of that.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09