So I adopted a cat..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
He is 4 months old and already weights 8 lbs.. Is that big? And when do they stop growing? He is twice the size of his sister..

I also gotta decide on a name for this guy. I just ripped him up from his family tonight, so it was a little traumatic.. but made up for it with a seafood dinner and some good catnip.. After getting high and listening to some PJ, he's passed the fuck out now, so I think he's happy.

EDIT: So I'm reading online that a 20 week old cat should weight 4.5 lbs... He's going to be a big one I guess. I just reweighed him more accurately today and he weights exactly 8 lbs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Sweet... :thumbup:
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    You could refer to one of the many baby naming threads...the names may work better for pets then they ever would for kids. We named our cat, Eddie. And she still doesn`t weigh 7 pounds! ;)
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Call him Stone.

Thats awesome- have fun with the little guy. Cats range in size. I've had full grown cats that weighed5 pounds, 7 pounds, 10pounds, 12 pounds. My friend had a cat that 30 pounds. His stomach used to drag on the ground. :?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Call him Stone.

Thats awesome- have fun with the little guy. Cats range in size. I've had full grown cats that weighed5 pounds, 7 pounds, 10pounds, 12 pounds. My friend had a cat that 30 pounds. His stomach used to drag on the ground. :?
    He's thin for weighing 7 lbs at his age.. we had a cat growing up that was thin, but got up to 27 lbs. He was a big guy. I want to feed this guy right, so he reaches a good size. He reminds me of my childhood cat.. only with a squirrel tale.
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Call him Stone.

He's thin for weighing 7 lbs at his age.. we had a cat growing up that was thin, but got up to 27 lbs. He was a big guy. I want to feed this guy right, so he reaches a good size. He reminds me of my childhood cat.. only with a squirrel tale.

If he eats right and gets exercise he will be just fine. Will he go outdoors?

My favorite cat was the one I had growing up. I "earned" him for keeping my room clean. He was long and lean and weighed close to 20 pounds. I would hold him under his arm and leg pits and he would stretch to be almost 3 feet long. He was a freak of nature. And the coolest cat ever. He used to walk up the middle of the sidewalk and wouldn't move out of the way for any human or animal. RIP. 8-)

RYEzupSF wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Call him Stone.

If he eats right and gets exercise he will be just fine. Will he go outdoors?

My favorite cat was the one I had growing up. I "earned" him for keeping my room clean. He was long and lean and weighed close to 20 pounds. I would hold him under his arm and leg pits and he would stretch to be almost 3 feet long. He was a freak of nature. And the coolest cat ever. He used to walk up the middle of the sidewalk and wouldn't move out of the way for any human or animal. RIP. 8-)

I won't let him out doors, especially living in an apartment complex. I'd never know when he wants back in.. your cat sounds like my cat growing up. He was a big guy, and loved dogs.

I won't let him out doors, especially living in an apartment complex. I'd never know when he wants back in.. your cat sounds like my cat growing up. He was a big guy, and loved dogs.

Good call on the indoors. Cats who love dogs make the best cats. ;)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    newman

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Winston.

He's just big boned.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Name him Boom! He is a big cat God!! :D
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Congrats on your new kitty friend! He is going to be a big boy! If I were to get a new pet I would certainly keep Vedder in my list of names. Sounds cute when you call him. Enjoy your new pal :D
  • Name him Chairman Meow
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    After getting high and listening to some PJ, he's passed the fuck out now, so I think he's happy.

Sounds like a facet of my existance. :lol:

Kudos to you for adopting an animal, man!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Name him Chairman Meow
    :clap:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Name him Chairman Meow

Romeouw!

What other names can we make with meouw????

Do let us know once you've named him! :mrgreen:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Yay for kitties! :thumbup:
    My cats are each about 10-12 lbs. If he's only 4 months old and he's already 7 lbs., he's going to be a big boy.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    So kitty likes to get up and 3am and play.. and when I kicked him out he yodled outside my door.

I'm functioning on an hour of sleep today. Looks like some kitty is going to sleep in the pantry tonight.
    So kitty likes to get up and 3am and play.. and when I kicked him out he yodled outside my door.

I'm functioning on an hour of sleep today. Looks like some kitty is going to sleep in the pantry tonight.

:( Kitty just wants to bond with you and wants your company.....

It will take a lil' bit of time for him (and you!) to adjust. :mrgreen:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

exchange him. :lol: it's only going to get worse.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Buy him a PJ Shoebox for a bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282

When my cat was a kitten she would be up at all hours of the night. She'd get into all kinds of stuff and it would wake me up/drive me nuts.
    Eventually he'll chill out and sleep at the end of the bed all night.
    My cat still gets up every day exactly at 5:30, eats some food and comes back to be until I get up.
  • that's great :D cats are the best

Stone is a cool name like someone said
    or Lukin - that's a cute one too :D

they grow real fast though, so take lots of cute pictures now :lol:
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Name him Chairman Meow

Lol thank you, thank you...I had a feeling as I wrote that that it could possibly be the best post I ever make. Should probably retire meow
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Name him Chairman Meow

Lol thank you, thank you...I had a feeling as I wrote that that it could possibly be the best post I ever make. Should probably retire meow

I applaud you for your clever nature, and your ability to reference historical figures in the context of naming felines. Your handle shall be hung in the rafters of the PJ forum. :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    He is 4 months old and already weights 7 lbs.. Is that big? And when do they stop growing? He is twice the size of his sister..

I also gotta decide on a name for this guy. I just ripped him up from his family tonight, so it was a little traumatic.. but made up for it with a seafood dinner and some good catnip.. After getting high and listening to some PJ, he's passed the fuck out now, so I think he's happy.

EDIT: So I'm reading online that a 20 week old cat should weight 4.5 lbs... He's going to be a big one I guess.
    Good for you!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    Congrats. :D Do you have a pic of him? Yeah 7 lbs. is def. big for a cat at the age. I kinda like the name Boom for him though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Congrats. :D Do you have a pic of him? Yeah 7 lbs. is def. big for a cat at the age. I kinda like the name Boom for him though.
    Just uploaded this..

http://www.pearljam.com/files/DSC00439.jpg

I settled on Sawyer for his name.
  • ThunderclapThunderclap Posts: 108
    He is 4 months old and already weights 7 lbs.. Is that big? And when do they stop growing? He is twice the size of his sister..

In your picture he doesn't look fat but 7 lbs does sound kinda big for 4 months. He looks pretty normal to me though. If you notice him getting fat, I'd cut back on his food a little bit. He may loudly disagree with you but it's for his own good :D . And definitely keep the people food to a minimum.

Good name too.

I volunteer at the local humane society a few times a week and it's never easy to leave! That applies to dogs too.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

EDIT: So I'm reading online that a 20 week old cat should weight 4.5 lbs... He's going to be a big one I guess.

All I have to say is give him alot of attention as a kitten. Then it will grow up to actually like you as a grown cat. I was there for my kitten alot and now that it is fully grown all she ever does is follow me around the house and wait for me in my room when im out at night. My cat is the shit lol. and her name is Spunky, so thats automatically the coolest cat ever :lol:

edit: and BTW... it doesnt matter what you name your cat, the only thing they really respond to is " sssppp ssspp ssssppp". Try it, I know im right.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Just uploaded this..

http://www.pearljam.com/files/DSC00439.jpg

I settled on Sawyer for his name.

Sawyer is good!

He't not fat at all. He's just a big cat - look at the size of his paws!

He's gorgeous!