how was it? your 1st Pearl Jam concert...

13»

Comments

• glbglb Posts: 356
    2003-04-18 Nashville Tennessee AmSouth Amphitheatre

Set 1 Oceans, Love Boat Captain, Breakerfall, Gods' Dice, Save You, Do The Evolution, Cropduster, Light Years, MFC, Deep, Even Flow, Daughter/(Another Brick In The Wall)/(Androgynous Mind), Insignificance, Parting Ways, Better Man/(Wild Thing), Rearviewmirror
    Encore 1 Free Jazz, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Know Your Rights, Bu$hleaguer, Alive, Sonic Reducer
    Encore 2 Leaving Here, Fortunate Son, Rockin' In The Free World

I was co-oping in Nashville. Went to the show by myself, had no idea what to expect. I was freakin blown away! It was awesome!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I was at the GGP show my 1st "plugged in" show. Major Letdown!

Bad Religion kicked ass. I should've realized there was a problem when they played for an hour and a half.

yes the crowd was dissapointed. I never witnessed any bad behavior but it was (at the time) the hottest day in SF ever and that was during the days where seeing PJ live was very very rare.

I missed the san jose half (bought em, then just couldn't go)

I have a boot of it though and it was awsome

they've more than made up for it since then!!
    tell me about it....and remember how freaking HOT it was that day? crazy stuff. that crowd got nasty when kelly curtis finally broke the news ed wasn't coming back. was the day before my bday too.

that's too bad you weren't able to make it to the SJ one, it was incredible. and absolutely, the've made up for it a million times over...seeing them is an event every time! :)
  • its_okits_ok Posts: 200
    Roskilde June 30th 2000

Some first show hey...I'm lucky to be alive. Wasnt untill 2006 i could see them again
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    07/22/92 - Kitsap County Fairgrounds: Bremerton, WA (Lollapalooza)

45m set: Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Suggestion, Deep, Alive, Black, Once, Porch, Rockin' in the Free World

notes: Ed sings a line from The Beatles' 'Eleanor Rigby' before 'Porch' ("All the lonely people, where do they all belong ...") During Soundgarden's set, Ed joins in singing back-up vocals on 'Outshined' from a mic beside the drumkit.

How could this show not totally rock? It was a great afternoon show...wish PJ would have gone on more - but Ed came out and sang with Soundgarden as well.

Lollapalooza 1992: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Pearl Jam, Lush

I am extremely jealous of my husband, who went to the Rock Candy with no idea who was playing on 8/3/91. He saw PJ & Temple of the Dog!

08/03/91 - RKCNDY: Seattle, WA
    support act: Sweet Water
    set: Alive ... Reach Down, Pushin' Forward Back (encore with Chris Cornell) [incomplete setlist]
    notes: Temple of the Dog mini reunion. Most of the 'Alive' video footage was taken from this show (directed by Josh Taft), and this version is also included on the Ten Japanese import. 'Alive' was performed multiple times at this show.
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Like really, really good sex.
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    So You all really remember the set list???

1 November 1996, Warsaw.

In Poland it's not like Halloween - it's grievous and rather sad holiday. People visits graves of their dead friends and family members.
    I was with my friend - we went by train to Warsaw smiling in our minds and thinking only about the joy which we would have soon. I remember when we were waiting for the show -we wait a few ours outside in cold and I wanted to piss... so we went to the nearest presbytery. The priest was SO SUPRISED seeing us in worn-out clothes (he knew there was a rock concert).
    I only remember They played my favourite song in that time - "In my tree" and "State of love and Trust". And "Present Tense". There was only white sheet behind Them and simple light (only music - not show of lights and special effects - i loved it!). But I had an impression that Boys from the band didn't have a good time - They were rather calm, I don't know, only my feelings, I think they didn't enjoy that concert (even after the concert They said, they did, except Stone, who didn't feel good that night). Rather sad concert for me (in this time i started to think that there's something wrong in the band and, it's stupid, but i started to worry about Them)...
    Anyway - it was one of only two concert of PJ I could be, I hope They will come back to my country
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Buffalo May 2, 2003

Set 1 Love Boat Captain, Brain Of J., Hail Hail, Save You, Corduroy, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, I Got Id, Even Flow, Faithfull, Deep, Given To Fly, Spin The Black Circle, Wishlist, Green Disease, Insignificance, Black, Go
    Encore 1 Free Jazz, Driven To Tears, Better Man, Crazy Mary, Do The Evolution, Alive
    Encore 2 Soon Forget, Smile, Fortunate Son, Sonic Reducer, People Have The Power
    Encore 3 Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

This show changed my life. I was very depressed, and just at rock bottom. I spent 3 months going to a bunch of concerts of bands I wanted to see, and then this show saved me. The lyrics seemed directed at me, especially the first 10 or so, and it was like a switch went off in my head. I swear I had an out of body experience during Even Flow and Black. If it wasn't for this concert, I would hate to see where I went with my depression. Been to 12 shows in total since, and I am HAPPY :-)
  • live at the garden was my first show. if you've seen the dvd, you know how memorable it was for me
  • My first show was:

7/18/98 - Rose Garden Arena: Portland, OR [110m]
    attendance: 18,000
    support act: Frank Black
    soundcheck: Tremor Christ (snippet), Brain of J (beginning riff), I Got You, instrumental, Not for You, Hail Hail (first half), Sonic Reducer, Red Mosquito (snippet), MFC (snippets), Off He Goes (snippet)
    set: Corduroy, Hail Hail, Brain of J, Spin the Black Circle, Red Mosquito, Given to Fly, Even Flow, In Hiding, Jeremy, Daughter/(Come Together)/(improv)/(I've Been Tired), MFC, In My Tree, Wishlist, Elderly Woman, Present Tense, Rearviewmirror, Alive
    enc 1: Do the Evolution, Black, Leatherman, Better Man, Leaving Here, Go
    enc 2: Fuckin' Up

It was a really powerful show and one to be remembered...The beginning of small town was funny because Eddie and Stone kept telling the other to start the song for a few minutes.
  • Buffalo NY October 1, 1996-
    It was 2 weeks before I turned 16. The show sold out in 9 minutes! & I wasn't in the Ten Club yet. Luckily a friend got tickets like a day before the show. No Code was growing on me & has become my most listened to PJ record. Amazing show & the band really broke in the new Arena at the time (Marine Midland, now HSBC). I remember that Ed picked a kid out of the mosh pit/crowd & switched shirts w/ him. Of course, the shirt was ripped to shreds the second he went back on the floor. Great time to experience their shows when they were really challenging their fans & audience w/ the new record. The tours since then have been equally compelling & mind blowing! :)
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    11/9/93 - Albuquerque - Convention Center

Animal, Go, Even Flow, Dissident, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Blood, Alive, Black, State Of Love And Trust, Once, Glorified G, Daughter/(The Real Me), Sonic Reducer, Porch, Indifference
    (http://www.pearljam.com/tour/setlist.php?date=199311090000)

Unfortunately, I only remember bits and pieces of the experience. The show sold out immediately and I can't remember how I was able to afford or get my hands on tickets, but my boyfriend (at the time) wasn't as lucky and was really upset that he wasn't able to go.

I went with my twin sister, who was dating some drummer guy at the time, so we went with him and the singer from his band. We met them at the Frontier restaurant (for any of you from NM) and I remember sitting with the singer in the back of their van in the parking lot while my sister and her boyfriend made out in the front. The singer guy was nice, but it was really awkward and I just kept wishing that my boyfriend had been able to go. Suddenly a car pulled up and some guy leaned out and said, "Hey - anyone need a Pearl Jam ticket?" Needless to say, I bought the ticket (once again - where did I get this money?) and called my boyfriend right away. He was at work that night and told his boss that he could let him off work for the night or he would quit - either way he was not going to miss Pearl Jam. Thankfully the boss let him go to the show.

The show was totally packed, and I was in high school and had only been to a few concerts before. I remember that the Butthole Surfers opened and really sucked, which bummed me out because I had previously liked them. And I remember it taking so long for Pearl Jam to set up that everyone just sat down on the floor until they came out. I didn't try to get right up front because it was so chaotic and I wasn't used to that. I have really long hair, and there were times when I was stuck in a group of people moving in one direction, but my hair was stuck in between people moving another direction. I lost my sister, and she lost her shoe. (I eventually found her, but we never found the shoe.) I ditched the singer to hang out with my boyfriend. [Interesting side note: That singer became my long-time boyfriend several years later. Also, my best friend in college ended up dating the drummer for about 10 years. Albuquerque is way too small.]

The show was absolutely amazing though! I would give my ex-boyfriend's left testicle to experience it again. (The singer, not the original boyfriend.)

Much to my continuing dismay, however, that's the only Pearl Jam show I've ever been able to attend. But mark my words - you'll see me at another show some day! And I plan to be front and center, regardless of which direction my hair is moving.

EDIT: Uh, given my 412xxx 10 Club #, does anyone know how I can get front and center when I finally do make it to another show?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    its_ok wrote:
    Roskilde June 30th 2000

Some first show hey...I'm lucky to be alive. Wasnt untill 2006 i could see them again

damm you were there ha ....i'm glad you saw them again
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,146
    Alpine Valley baby!
  • mateo45mateo45 Posts: 91
    i sorta see my 1st PJ show as two parts, since the SF show was cut short. i just copied & pasted below, courtsey of 5 horizons (best PJ site that ever existed!)

06/24/95 - Golden Gate Park: Polo Fields: San Francisco, CA [140m]
    attendance: 53,440
    support act: Crash and Brittany and Bad Religion
    set: Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Go, Animal, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Not for You
    "NeilJam" set: Big Green Country, Act of Love, Throw Your Hatred Down, Powderfinger, Truth Be Known, Rockin' in the Free World, The Needle and the Damage Done, Hey Hey My My, I'm the Ocean, Down By the River, Downtown, Cortez the Killer
    enc: Peace and Love, Rockin' in the Free World
    notes: Ed leaves the stage ill after seven songs. Neil takes the stage and the audience gets an impressive Mirrorball premier. The crowd behaves poorly.

and then months later....

11/04/95 - Spartan Stadium: San Jose, CA [155m]
    attendance: 35,000
    support act: The Fastbacks and Ben Harper
    soundcheck: Act of Love, I Got Shit, Red Mosquito
    Ed's pre-set: Dead Man
    set: Release, Even Flow, Last Exit, Animal, Dissident, Not for You, Rearviewmirror (w/ Who teaser), Elderly Woman, Go, Glorified G, Daughter/(Young Man Blues)/(W.M.A.), Deep, Jeremy, Corduroy, Lukin, I Got Shit, Spin the Black Circle, Red Mosquito, (So You Want to be a Rock 'n Roll Star), Brain of J, Why Go, Black, Alive/(Voodoo Chile teaser), Blood
    enc: Leaving Here, Better Man, Immortality, Porch, So You Want to be a Rock 'n Roll Star, Indifference
    notes: Ed opens the show early with the (then) unreleased 'Dead Man.' Later he quips, "So these are the faces I would have seen if I could have lifted my head up in San Francisco." After a long departure from these sort of antics, Ed climbs the speaker stacks and scaffolding during 'Porch.' He includes a bit of the 'Three Little Birds' tag in Porch, repeating the "every little thing's gonna be alright" line a few times. Ben Harper and Kim Warnick (from the Fastbacks) join PJ in 'Rock 'n Roll Star.'

Same story for me. was super bummed yet amazed during the frisco show, and then san jose cemented my future love of pj forever. everything about that day was amazing. me and my now wife, began dating the day after that show, making it one of the best weekends of my life. changed me forever. amazing.
    "there's no lights by the stairs? oh, they'll be fine..."-ed, 11/4/95 san jose
  • PJPixie wrote:
    EMPIRE POLO GROUNDS
    Indio, CA
    NOVEMBER, 1993

Shoe the Shoeless show...........

Same here, very first show.. Great times, I was 24, still had long hair, life was good (not that it totally sucks now.. ).. 9 of us piled into a rented minivan from Moreno Valley, got there too early, pounded beers outside the fairgrounds till we could get in... Don't even remember who opened (11, and a couple others)... Release opened, played alot of the newer shit from Vs. (that had come out two weeks before), Fuck Me in the Brain, and of course the whole fucked up Shoe the Shoeless bit.. "Shoes for my friends".. Just kept hoping they wouldn't leave the stage... Ed telling the crowd "Me and Jeff are gonna go to the gate and kick the living shit out of anyone walking out missing shoes", or some variation of that phrase.. Like I said, great fucking times..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    PJPixie wrote:
    EMPIRE POLO GROUNDS
    Indio, CA
    NOVEMBER, 1993

Shoe the Shoeless show...........
    :eek: Niiiiice!!

i got teary eyed when they opened with Release in Nov. 1995 in San Diego. Had to wait for that show since the first got cancelled. Imagine PJ thinking they could play at a fair with no problem!! :p
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Danimal wrote:
    1994-04-12

Venue Orpheum Theater: Boston, MA
    Opening Band(s) Mudhoney

Oceans
    Even Flow
    Sonic Reducer
    State Of Love And Trust
    Hard To Imagine
    Immortality (Tags:Hey Hey, My My)
    Go
    Animal
    Glorified G
    Daughter (Tags:Suck You Dry)
    Alone
    Not For You
    Better Man
    Rats
    Blood
    (Encore 1)
    Release
    Tremor Christ
    Once
    Fuckin' Up
    Dirty Frank
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Jam (improv)
    Rearviewmirror
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    I've Got A Feeling
    I'll never forget this show, It changed my life!!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • glb wrote:
    2003-04-18 Nashville Tennessee AmSouth Amphitheatre

Set 1 Oceans, Love Boat Captain, Breakerfall, Gods' Dice, Save You, Do The Evolution, Cropduster, Light Years, MFC, Deep, Even Flow, Daughter/(Another Brick In The Wall)/(Androgynous Mind), Insignificance, Parting Ways, Better Man/(Wild Thing), Rearviewmirror
    Encore 1 Free Jazz, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Know Your Rights, Bu$hleaguer, Alive, Sonic Reducer
    Encore 2 Leaving Here, Fortunate Son, Rockin' In The Free World

I was co-oping in Nashville. Went to the show by myself, had no idea what to expect. I was freakin blown away! It was awesome!

I've seen over 40 shows and this BY FAR is my favorite!

I was in the second row and almost got hit in the head with ed's mic when it flew into the audience during sonic reducer.

"the trio" as I call it which is know your rights, Bushleaguer and Alive is about as good as it gets.