Earth quake hits Christchurch again

Comments

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Wednesday. fuck, that's bad. the odds of someone surviving 5 days without food or water are very slim. it will be a miracle if anyone is pulled out alive now. so sad for those still missing family members.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Wednesday. fuck, that's bad. the odds of someone surviving 5 days without food or water are very slim. it will be a miracle if anyone is pulled out alive now. so sad for those still missing family members.
    Unfortunately you're probably right although I really hope many more people are pulled out alive!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    oh yeah, don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a miracle and have more survivors, but yeah, i think it's unlikely. but you hear stories of miracles from these sorts of things all the time so i hope it happens.

i saw on the news the other night some people where upset that their houses would have to be demolished, and they were really crying and shit. and not to sound like i dick, but i was like, "come on, it's a fucking house, at least you all got out, there are people dead and missing, that shit can't be rebuilt."
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    yeah shit can be rebuilt but that costs money. and even if the cost is covered, perhaps only partially, by the govt or the eqc, those people have nowhere to go. don't forget, they may have already been through more horror than you or i could imagine in september. they probably know people who have died.
    doompony wrote:
    yeah shit can be rebuilt but that costs money. and even if the cost is covered, perhaps only partially, by the govt or the eqc, those people have nowhere to go. don't forget, they may have already been through more horror than you or i could imagine in september. they probably know people who have died.

yeah true. guess i'd probably be upset in the same situation. like i said, i don't mean to sound like a dick, but i probably am.

i did also see a guy on the news, from a small town here that got hit by the floods, he owned his own petrol station, the only one in the town, and he wasn't able to re-open yet and it's been over 7 weeks, and all he has got from the government flood relief fund was $400 so far. doesn't really help feed the family over the last 7 weeks. but he has also been volunteering all his time to the relief effort as well, and distributing actual physical donations of furniture and that sort of stuff around his local area. it's gotta be tough. like i guess it's gonna be over there for a while, and people were only just recovering from the quake 6 months ago.

just hope people can get what they need to rebuild and move on quickly, as it seems over here only about 10% of the flood relief money raised has actually been passed on to those effected.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    My husbands Aunt, cousin and Nana have decided to come up here next week to get away so we will have a full house. I'm glad I can help in some way. My daughters school held a mufti day on Friday and all the kids wore red & black (Canterbury colours) and collected money for the Red Cross.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    wonder how many 10Cers have donated money... *hint hint*
    doompony wrote:
    wonder how many 10Cers have donated money... *hint hint*
    I sure have. Least we can do eh & we've(especially kiwis) just got to do it I think.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    well just incase you want to and don't know how..

http://www.redcross.org.nz/cms_display.php

also, nz will be observing 2 minutes silence tomorrow (1 week on) at 12.51pm NZT. it'd be nice if you guys overseas could do the same.
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    doompony wrote:
    well just incase you want to and don't know how..

http://www.redcross.org.nz/cms_display.php

also, nz will be observing 2 minutes silence tomorrow (1 week on) at 12.51pm NZT. it'd be nice if you guys overseas could do the same.

Will do.

That will be 10.51 am where I am.
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

doompony wrote:

i have seen a few aussie facebook pages about the 2 minutes silence. i think it should be 9.51am aussie time.
    One week on and still no more surviours found. :cry:
    The whole town just stopped and lined the streets for 2 minutes silence at 12:51pm. One week on. The radio went silent and as the two minutes finished Brothers in Arms started to play softly. We as a nation will never be the same again.
    we all stopped what we were doing but we seemed to have a different time to the people sitting nearish us because they started talking well before we did.

i couldn't see but apparently the pub patrons across the road were all standing up with their arms around each other
    My yoga teacher put us in a pose & we held it silently, holding the person next to us' hand for 2 minutes. Even radio stations went silent apparently & some played the national anthem at the end. I'm not usually a 'fan' of the national anthem but I think that's kind of nice.
    <hr>
    wellington just had a short sharp jolt of a quake. terrified the fucking shit out of us and within seconds twitter and facebook was flooded with "please tell me that was just wellington!!"

it was.

but how we handle quakes has changed. first time i've ever felt a quake and worried about other cities more than if it was a pre-shock.
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    doompony wrote:
    wellington just had a short sharp jolt of a quake. terrified the fucking shit out of us and within seconds twitter and facebook was flooded with "please tell me that was just wellington!!"

it was.

but how we handle quakes has changed. first time i've ever felt a quake and worried about other cities more than if it was a pre-shock.

:( It must be awful.
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

i mention it not because it's all "oh woe is me, welli had a quake!".. cuz it was short and sharp and only 4.5. but because we're supposed to be used to them but holy shit, we must be on edge like never before. and i think 90% of wellingtonians first worried about christchurch and then worried about wellington.
    They are heading up the country, we will be next :?
    It's weird, growing up here you get used to the earth moving once in a while, but now I'm paranoid
    edited March 2011
    159 dead now in Chch :cry: & yeah I bet earthquakes feel different now for you guys in Wlg who had previously been used to them in a way. :(
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    they found no bodies in the christchurch catherdral - they thought they'd find 16-22, but they found no one in there so that's one piece of good news.
    doompony wrote:
    they found no bodies in the christchurch catherdral - they thought they'd find 16-22, but they found no one in there so that's one piece of good news.
    Wow, I hadn't heard that. That is a piece of good news. Body count's up to 160+ now I think. :cry:
    <hr>
    they finished searching the ctv building yesterday - no more survivors, but at least now those families can say goodbye

national day of remembrance on the 18th.

the only silver lining is this has made a previous very quake-aware nation ultra aware. back in the day they used to make us practice quake procedures but that kind of peters out as you get older. a campaign that civil defence did a couple of years ago to try to make everyone get their plans in place did jack all.

you can't seem to buy radios in this country at the moment because in the past couple of weeks a huge number of kiwis have put together their survival kits. most people at my work have. i have. my family has. lots of friends have. i went to buy a 20L plastic water container on saturday and in one shop you had to get on a waiting list - another shop that had them in bulk was selling out quick. every 2nd person (of hundreds) of people that were near that shop was carrying one.

city councils are also taking a look at the safety of their buildings. christchurch will be rebuilt but it will rebuilt stronger and safer. and most people in wellington probably know the age and safety of their work places now where you'd probably only have guessed before.

2 weeks tomorrow. it feels like so much longer.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    At least you all have kits now. Sounds similar to here the day before the Cyclone Yasi....no batteries, torches, radios, generators, candles, tinned food, bread....nothing was left....we were already low on stocks due to the Qld floods and food not getting north....then the cyclone coming just cleared the shelves....then the power went off for days and days and all the fresh/cold/frozen food at the shops went off....and we were still left with nothing for close to a week. The day after the cyclone there was one group of fast food shops near a major intersection that had power. I think every person in Townsville ate Pizza Hut, Red Rooster, McDonalds, Subway or Yummy Noodles a couple of times that week....the drive-thru lines were out and right down the street....people having a chat next to each other cars while they waited etc.

I see that they're going to have to abandon big parts of Chch. Sad. All those people's homes gone. I also read that 65,000 people have left....whether permanently or not they didn't know. And another fucking earthquake hit just north of Chch. Crazy activity there at the moment.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Crazy MarcusCrazy Marcus Posts: 1,823
    It sounds like this city has once again been struck by another earthquake. I once again hope that people are safe and that all our NZ members are ok. :cry:
    Yep, a 5.5 quake at 1pm & then a 6 one at 2.20. It's crazy down there again apparently. :(
    <hr>
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Oh no! Gotta go watch the news, hope everyone is okay.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    I text my workmate down there ater I read about it she said it's crazy, sirens going off everywhere etc... Haven't heard anything more specific from her.
    <hr>
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    beyond that ... there is a volcanic ash from an eruption in chile that is covering oz and nz now ... :(