Options

***The SEINFELD TRIVIA Thread***

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    GlowGirl said:
    Who else loves horse manure and how do we find this out (which episode)?
    Just a guess - but was it Marissa Tomei when her and George were sitting on the bench.

I kind of forgot about that one but, no, she did not express a love for manure in that scene that I am aware of. Although she was not repulsed by it either! Thinking of someone else...
    Yeah. She didn’t say she loved it but I think she laughed when George told her about it. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Just a guess - but was it Marissa Tomei when her and George were sitting on the bench.

I kind of forgot about that one but, no, she did not express a love for manure in that scene that I am aware of. Although she was not repulsed by it either! Thinking of someone else...
    Yeah. She didn’t say she loved it but I think she laughed when George told her about it. 
    she also, right after, mentioned her "boyfriend" had the same watch George did. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I was talking about Marissa Tomei in my post. The girl with the boyfriend was the original girl he talked about manure with. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I was talking about Marissa Tomei in my post. The girl with the boyfriend was the original girl he talked about manure with. 
    right. totally mixed those up. my bad. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    So nobody knows the answer to this one, huh? Well, I guess ledbetterman just hasn't seen it yet. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    By the way, I am plowing through in chronological order and I'm in season 5 right now. I've talked before about how I think 5 is the goat. But man...5 is the undisputed king of Seinfeld and, henceforth, the greatest comedy season in history of television. Just looking at the episode list in Netflix is crazy. Every episode is a banger: Mango, Puffy Shirt, Sniffing Accountant, The Bris, The Glasses, Non Fat Yogurt, The Stall, The Hamptons, Dinner Party, THE MARINE BIOLOGIST, The Fire, The Opposite etc etc etc.............BY THE HAMMER OF THOR!

No show has ever and will ever be as consistently hilarious as that year. Thank you and may god continue to bless those glorious mid 90's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    By the way, I am plowing through in chronological order and I'm in season 5 right now. I've talked before about how I think 5 is the goat. But man...5 is the undisputed king of Seinfeld and, henceforth, the greatest comedy season in history of television. Just looking at the episode list in Netflix is crazy. Every episode is a banger: Mango, Puffy Shirt, Sniffing Accountant, The Bris, The Glasses, Non Fat Yogurt, The Stall, The Hamptons, Dinner Party, THE MARINE BIOLOGIST, The Fire, The Opposite etc etc etc.............BY THE HAMMER OF THOR!

No show has ever and will ever be as consistently hilarious as that year. Thank you and may god continue to bless those glorious mid 90's
    Season 5 was the first full season I watched as they were airing. First ever episode was the season before (The Smelly Car). I can get behind season 5 as the best season or as the show’s prime. Maybe the Sgt. Peppers season. Later seasons, while great like The White Album or Abbey Road, aren’t the prime. 

One of these days when I have time at work, I’ll have to write my Lennon/McCartney/David/Seinfeld dissertation for you guys. Eerie how similar the duos are. John and Larry being the eccentric weirdo geniuses and Paul and Jerry being the more “assessable” professional geniuses. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    i seem recall elaine saying "i looooove manure", but I don't recall the reason. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i seem recall elaine saying "i looooove manure", but I don't recall the reason. 
    WE HAVE AN... ALMOST BINGO!

Correct on the character.........but we don't know the episode? 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Season 5 was the first full season I watched as they were airing. First ever episode was the season before (The Smelly Car). I can get behind season 5 as the best season or as the show’s prime. Maybe the Sgt. Peppers season. Later seasons, while great like The White Album or Abbey Road, aren’t the prime. 

One of these days when I have time at work, I’ll have to write my Lennon/McCartney/David/Seinfeld dissertation for you guys. Eerie how similar the duos are. John and Larry being the eccentric weirdo geniuses and Paul and Jerry being the more “assessable” professional geniuses. 
    I for one would be interested in reading that. Was that for some class in college or something? 

Yeah 5 is Yield (or No Code depending on my mood). 4, 5 and 6 collectively are like mid to late 90's Pearl Jam. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I for one would be interested in reading that. Was that for some class in college or something? 

Yeah 5 is Yield (or No Code depending on my mood). 4, 5 and 6 collectively are like mid to late 90's Pearl Jam. lol
    No just a Seinfeld/Beatles comparison rant I go on that fans of both usually enjoy. I’ll type it out today or one of these days if I have some spare time at work. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    This morning is as good a time as any.....

Lennon/McCartney vs. David/Seinfeld Comparison

In analyzing the relationships between these two duos, let's first start by hypothetically looking at where their lives/careers might have gone had they not met each other.

What happens to Paul McCartney if he never meets John Lennon? I'd argue that he'd still go on to be a somewhat successful rock musician. He's too talented not to be. But nothing special. Maybe a top-10 hit or two. Maybe even a loyal fanbase. I'd picture some sort of Buddy Holly/Fats Domino knockoff. 

What happens to John Lennon if he never meets Paul McCartney. Probably still a musician. He's too creative not to be. But successful? I'm not so sure. In fact, I'd picture him as some sort of weird folk singer making the rounds at county fairs. The type that no album-buyer has ever heard of, but the type that when Bob Dylan returns from a tour of England, he tells Joan Baez "You should see this Lennon guy I saw at fair in Liverpool, England. He was great. Maybe I'll cover one of his songs."

We kind of know what would happen to Jerry Seinfeld if he never meets Larry David. He already was a very successful stand up, and it was on that merit that he was offered the NBC sitcom. So he would 've had a show. It might have even been funny, because Jerry's funny. But like Paul would be just another guy on the charts without John, Jerry's show would just be another sitcom without Larry. 

Larry without Jerry? Lord knows. Like hypothetical folk singer Lennon, the other artists adored Larry's standup, but audiences didn't like it. And Larry didn't like the audiences right back. He flamed out as an SNL writer, and had a modicum of success on the SNL rip-off shows "Fridays" (the television equivalent of the Liverpool fair grounds).

John Lennon would have "I Am The Walrus" floating through his head whether he was as janitor or whether he was in the biggest band in the world. But it never sees the light of day and becomes an iconic song (or a song at all) if not for Paul McCartney. Larry David would have masturbation contests floating through his head whether he was a janitor or the executive producer of the biggest TV show in the world. But it never sees the light of day or becomes an iconic TV episode (or TV episode at all ) if not for Jerry Seinfeld. 

A similarity between the duos is the "hard-edge and darkness" of Larry and John and the "accessibility and lightness" of Jerry and Paul. In my previous post referencing this, I called Larry and John "eccentric weirdo geniuses" and Jerry and Paul "assessible professional geniuses." Jerry and Paul are 1st class, professional performers. John and Larry perform well enough, but it's the creative process where they seem to be a cut-above. Also there's the darkness of songs like Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Yer Blues that Paul simply wouldn't write, but would love the idea of. Just like how Jerry wouldn't think to kill off Susan, but he'd love the idea once he heard it. Not that Jerry and Paul can't be dark themselves. Jerry ad-libbed the "Let's watch them chop this fat bastard up" line in the Junior Mint, and Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a jovial, rollicking songs.....about a guy that murders people by bashing them over the head with a hammer. 

Their post-Beatles/Seinfeld careers are similar as well. Following Seinfeld, Larry went on to create another terrific show. Some would even argue Curb is better. That's a matter of opinion, but it's definitely creative and while it shares many of the same themes of Seinfeld, it's presented so differently. Following the Beatles, John went on to be an activist, and his music often had "something to say." Jerry and Paul on the other hand, kind of wen the route that I hypothesized they'd go if the never met Johh/Larry. Jerry went back to standup, and Paul just kept making rock songs and piano ballads. Some might detract from them for this. Not me, I love Jerry's standup and I love Paul's 70's output with Wings. But some might say they went back to doing the "same old thing" and that's a fair criticism if you want to make it.  

Jerry/Julia/Michael/Jason vs. John/Paul/George/Ringo comparison

Jason/Michael = John/Paul - Easily the best performers on the show. Often imitated, never duplicated. Iconic performances throughout.

Jerry = Ringo - Jerry isn't the greatest actor. Ringo isn't the greatest drummer. But could anyone else be the straight-man listening to a George rant or Kramer hair-brained idea? Of course not. He's perfect for the show, just as Ringo is perfect for the Beatles. Whether he's just keeping time like in a song like Love Me Do, or he's pounding the skins like in Helter Skelter or Strawberry Fields Forever. 

Julia = George - A little under appreciated. When you're sharing the stage with two of the best ever, it could be hard to stand out. But she makes the most out of her opportunities. Plus, she went on to have by-far the best post-Seinfeld thing of the four of them in Veep, and George went on to have, in many people's opinions (not mine), the best solo album in All Things Must Pass.

Brian Epstein dies in 1967 = Larry David leaves after season 7

Both the Beatles and Seinfeld, though they remained great, became a little less focused. Things were all over the place at times (season 8 of Seinfeld, The White Album), and that could be both good or bad depending on your opinion (good, in my opinion). I like how The White Album has both Blackbird and Helter Skelter, as well as outlandish stuff like Revolution 9. I like how seasons 8 and 9 of Seinfeld have some outlandish stuff (Kramer having the same symptoms as a dog for example). But it also has stuff that is just as iconic as anything from the Larry days (Festivus, Yada Yada, etc.)

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

• Options
    so @The Juggler what episode was the "I love manure" from?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    so @The Juggler what episode was the "I love manure" from?
    The Valet. They were talking about what other smells were as offensive or more than the valet's disgusting BO...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    there it is. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

In analyzing the relationships between these two duos, let's first start by hypothetically looking at where their lives/careers might have gone had they not met each other.

What happens to Paul McCartney if he never meets John Lennon? I'd argue that he'd still go on to be a somewhat successful rock musician. He's too talented not to be. But nothing special. Maybe a top-10 hit or two. Maybe even a loyal fanbase. I'd picture some sort of Buddy Holly/Fats Domino knockoff. 

What happens to John Lennon if he never meets Paul McCartney. Probably still a musician. He's too creative not to be. But successful? I'm not so sure. In fact, I'd picture him as some sort of weird folk singer making the rounds at county fairs. The type that no album-buyer has ever heard of, but the type that when Bob Dylan returns from a tour of England, he tells Joan Baez "You should see this Lennon guy I saw at fair in Liverpool, England. He was great. Maybe I'll cover one of his songs."

We kind of know what would happen to Jerry Seinfeld if he never meets Larry David. He already was a very successful stand up, and it was on that merit that he was offered the NBC sitcom. So he would 've had a show. It might have even been funny, because Jerry's funny. But like Paul would be just another guy on the charts without John, Jerry's show would just be another sitcom without Larry. 

Larry without Jerry? Lord knows. Like hypothetical folk singer Lennon, the other artists adored Larry's standup, but audiences didn't like it. And Larry didn't like the audiences right back. He flamed out as an SNL writer, and had a modicum of success on the SNL rip-off shows "Fridays" (the television equivalent of the Liverpool fair grounds).

John Lennon would have "I Am The Walrus" floating through his head whether he was as janitor or whether he was in the biggest band in the world. But it never sees the light of day and becomes an iconic song (or a song at all) if not for Paul McCartney. Larry David would have masturbation contests floating through his head whether he was a janitor or the executive producer of the biggest TV show in the world. But it never sees the light of day or becomes an iconic TV episode (or TV episode at all ) if not for Jerry Seinfeld. 

A similarity between the duos is the "hard-edge and darkness" of Larry and John and the "accessibility and lightness" of Jerry and Paul. In my previous post referencing this, I called Larry and John "eccentric weirdo geniuses" and Jerry and Paul "assessible professional geniuses." Jerry and Paul are 1st class, professional performers. John and Larry perform well enough, but it's the creative process where they seem to be a cut-above. Also there's the darkness of songs like Happiness Is A Warm Gun or Yer Blues that Paul simply wouldn't write, but would love the idea of. Just like how Jerry wouldn't think to kill off Susan, but he'd love the idea once he heard it. Not that Jerry and Paul can't be dark themselves. Jerry ad-libbed the "Let's watch them chop this fat bastard up" line in the Junior Mint, and Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a jovial, rollicking songs.....about a guy that murders people by bashing them over the head with a hammer. 

Their post-Beatles/Seinfeld careers are similar as well. Following Seinfeld, Larry went on to create another terrific show. Some would even argue Curb is better. That's a matter of opinion, but it's definitely creative and while it shares many of the same themes of Seinfeld, it's presented so differently. Following the Beatles, John went on to be an activist, and his music often had "something to say." Jerry and Paul on the other hand, kind of wen the route that I hypothesized they'd go if the never met Johh/Larry. Jerry went back to standup, and Paul just kept making rock songs and piano ballads. Some might detract from them for this. Not me, I love Jerry's standup and I love Paul's 70's output with Wings. But some might say they went back to doing the "same old thing" and that's a fair criticism if you want to make it.  

Jason/Michael = John/Paul - Easily the best performers on the show. Often imitated, never duplicated. Iconic performances throughout.

Jerry = Ringo - Jerry isn't the greatest actor. Ringo isn't the greatest drummer. But could anyone else be the straight-man listening to a George rant or Kramer hair-brained idea? Of course not. He's perfect for the show, just as Ringo is perfect for the Beatles. Whether he's just keeping time like in a song like Love Me Do, or he's pounding the skins like in Helter Skelter or Strawberry Fields Forever. 

Julia = George - A little under appreciated. When you're sharing the stage with two of the best ever, it could be hard to stand out. But she makes the most out of her opportunities. Plus, she went on to have by-far the best post-Seinfeld thing of the four of them in Veep, and George went on to have, in many people's opinions (not mine), the best solo album in All Things Must Pass.

Both the Beatles and Seinfeld, though they remained great, became a little less focused. Things were all over the place at times (season 8 of Seinfeld, The White Album), and that could be both good or bad depending on your opinion (good, in my opinion). I like how The White Album has both Blackbird and Helter Skelter, as well as outlandish stuff like Revolution 9. I like how seasons 8 and 9 of Seinfeld have some outlandish stuff (Kramer having the same symptoms as a dog for example). But it also has stuff that is just as iconic as anything from the Larry days (Festivus, Yada Yada, etc.)

Wow. I'm not as big a Beatles fan as you are so I don't get all these comparisons 100% but a lot of it makes sense. Especially the post Epstein and Larry David years. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Wow. I'm not as big a Beatles fan as you are so I don't get all these comparisons 100% but a lot of it makes sense. Especially the post Epstein and Larry David years. 
    I bet if I chose The Rolling Stones you’d all be patting me on the back!

A comparison that I didn’t mention was the respective swan songs: the Let It Be album versus the Seinfeld series finale. Both are very polarizing even among the band’s/show’s biggest fans. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    What are two reasons NOT to visit India? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

it is a dreadful, dreadful place. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

Definitely the plague. "I mean...the plague. Please!" The other one I was going for was Zuban's recommendation to not use the bathroom. 

Here's another one from that episode. George notes that he and Jerry have been best friends since 4th grade. What memory from 4th grade does Jerry bring up? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

Definitely the plague. "I mean...the plague. Please!" The other one I was going for was Zuban's recommendation to not use the bathroom. 

Here's another one from that episode. George notes that he and Jerry have been best friends since 4th grade. What memory from 4th grade does Jerry bring up? 
    He beat up George
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

"if I went to India, I wouldn't go to the bathroom the entire trip". lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

He beat up George
    That's one of my favorite lines. Just how he blurts out "Hey, didn't I beat you up in 4th grade?"

"FUNNY GUY!!!!"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

"if I went to India, I wouldn't go to the bathroom the entire trip". lol
    I love how George takes that as gospel. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    In boy scouts, why was George stuck on Webelos for three years? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    couldn't sew a button?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    couldn't sew a button?
    Nope.

I'll leave it open in case Juggler or someone else wants to take a shot at it. 

For reference, he mentions it when he's talking to Hankey's AA sponsor. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    couldn't sew a button?
    Nope.

I'll leave it open in case Juggler or someone else wants to take a shot at it. 

For reference, he mentions it when he's talking to Hankey's AA sponsor. 
    just looked up the answer. I had it semi-right with what my second guess would have been. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1) the plague
    2) the heat?

He beat up George
    That's one of my favorite lines. Just how he blurts out "Hey, didn't I beat you up in 4th grade?"

"FUNNY GUY!!!!"

Jerry Seinfeld is a FUNNY GUY!

I use this simple line on people as often as possible. 
    chinese-happy.jpg